Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

where did DXs post of 00.01 disappear to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I dont know but i have a screen shot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hijpo wrote: »
    Will you pay the property tax and water charges with little fight aswell?
    Hypotheticaly, if the government came back in a year and said they were not making enough from the current rates they set and decided to increase them, would you pay just as quick?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then i would love to be in a position like you. Which is one of having enough income to pay all these charges and still be left with enough to live aswell as having no need for adequate public services for money paid.

Not a good idea to be adding on unnecessary penalties if you could have afforded the €100 between January and April. In a few years time I expect that the 35 year break without property taxes will be forgotten and the tax will just be something that people live with like everywhere else. I don't pay much heed to the wilder speculation about how much it will be. I expect we will have separate water charges just like most other countries as well.

I dont know but i have a screen shot of it.

Don't worry I just replied to the wrong poster. I will post it later.

Don't worry I just replied to the wrong poster. I will post it later.

lol, i thought the Pro side were cracking up attacking each other;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

As some of you may know Phil Hogan is an Auctioneer by profession. It has been reported in the press that the upcoming property tax may very well be self declaration so you will be responsible for placing a proper value on your property. How they expect non-professionals to come up with a figure in a market with little or nothing selling is a difficult task. And with the threat of interest and penalties if we under value the pressure will be on people to employ a professional. Now we normally employ an auctioneer to value property before putting it on the market. I believe the going rate is €150. Now i refer back to the first sentence and Phil Hogan. You get the idea.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    lol, i thought the Pro side were cracking up attacking each other;)

Yes, my poor friend Lugha would have been somewhat bemused.

Not a good idea to be adding on unnecessary penalties if you could have afforded the €100 between January and April. In a few years time I expect that the 35 year break without property taxes will be forgotten and the tax will just be something that people live with like everywhere else. I don't pay much heed to the wilder speculation about how much it will be. I expect we will have separate water charges just like most other countries as well.

At no stage in that reply did you answer my question.

Buried beneath all the irrelevance i presume there is a yes?

You would happily pay whatever rate of property tax the government want you to cough up for less services than other countries incorporating a property tax?
    You will also pay what ever rates the government apply to your water usage even though your house is plumbed to flush fresh water down the toilet and in alot of cases people need to use filter jugs to drink the water supplied??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Fiasco Phil is going to find it hard to get out of this letter, issued in his name.

Its totally illegal to discriminate against a member of the travelling community, never mind use your power over a local authority to ensure a certain family are blocked from getting a house in a certain area.

Bully boys always get their just deserts in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jellicoe wrote: »
    Fiasco Phil is going to find it hard to get out of this letter, issued in his name.

Its totally illegal to discriminate against a member of the travelling community, never mind use your power over a local authority to ensure a certain family are blocked from getting a house in a certain area.

Live by the letter, die by the letter......... http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/images/2012/0330/290416_1.jpg?ts=1348615397

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    As some of you may know Phil Hogan is an Auctioneer by profession. It has been reported in the press that the upcoming property tax may very well be self declaration so you will be responsible for placing a proper value on your property. How they expect non-professionals to come up with a figure in a market with little or nothing selling is a difficult task. And with the threat of interest and penalties if we under value the pressure will be on people to employ a professional. Now we normally employ an auctioneer to value property before putting it on the market. I believe the going rate is €150. Now i refer back to the first sentence and Phil Hogan. You get the idea.
    I get the idea. He is introducing a measure that puts downward pressure on property prices, disadvantaging people in his profession who tend to work on a commission basis.

You're saying that he's a selfless public servant outing the public good before his own interests, right? :p

far as i know Bulleye, you need sweet feck all qualifications to become an auctioneer, (similar to being a politician), a guy could have the street smarts of a potato and the tact of a lump hammer and could take on either profession at his ease (and probably do quiet well at both;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

dvpower wrote: »
    So you're in favour of publishing a HHC defaulters list.

YES.

Way back there was some link from auctioneers saying they had to have proof that the HHC was paid before accepting a property on their books. It would make sense seeing as it has to be paid by law as part of the conveyancing process anyway.

I will not join in the speculation about what will happen here next year. But valuations are a big problem internationally. As far as I know there is no country that does them annually so they have to be out of date to some degree. England's valuations for instance date from 1991.

So Phil is putting pressure to reduce the value of property and Nama is doing the opposite by trying to protect the value of its property portfolio LOL. Only here on AH.

I wouldn't dismiss the Revenue so easily and the people acting on the advice of others to break the law now could find themselves following in the very expensive footsteps of the bogus non-residents etc.

Including TDs?

Solicitors will pay the HHC when the property is being sold. There is no getting away from that fact. Personally I think they would be better writing a cheque directly to the local authority in which the property is located. I think a lot of people would prefer to pay their own local authority directly so they know the money is being spent in their area. They would also like to receive annual expenditure reports so that they know their money is being spent wisely and not on holidays in the Middle East.

You already do.

Cannot say I've ever received an annual report from my local authority on their expenditure.

Cannot say I've ever received an annual report from my local authority on their expenditure.
    Did you try looking on their website?
    Some people want everything handed to them.

credit unions have no problem sending one out at the end of the year, just saying.

• Advertisement

Yes including a bill. If your paying a property tax it's always nice to have a proper paper trail. You know like the failed voting machines and their lack of any.

Those voting machines would nearly have covered the property charge. Ah yes government spending. How wise art thou.

Revenue are happy to prosecute for things like failure to return VAT for fines as low as €750.

Except if your a TD.

lugha wrote: »
    it will ultimately be ordinary people of one kind or another than may be pushed to the brink and precipitate unrest.

If you get a chance to take an odd look down, you will probably notice that there is a lot of new ordinary people in this land today. There is a lot more ordinary people now than there was 4/5 years ago.

Jellicoe wrote: »

More than likely, some poor fcuker in a council office will be sacrificed.

credit unions have no problem sending one out at the end of the year, just saying.
    Yes including a bill. If your paying a property tax it's always nice to have a proper paper trail. You know like the failed voting machines and their lack of any.
    If councils were to start posting out annual statements to everyone, this thread would be full of people deriding the waste.

What's with people leaving their objectivity at the door when entering this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If I owned a private house and it was a choice of going to court or somehow finding €120 or whatever it is to pay the charge to avoid that I would make every effort to get the money. Of course if you want to defy the law to make some political point have your day in court if it comes to that and see how that goes.

And when the 120 and twenty turns into 820?

You'd still pay up, no questions asked?
    Yes. Paid it. I was couching the argument in terms of a hypothetical person who was liable but who hadn't paid and was threatened with a court appearance. No court cases in the offing that I know of and everyone can still avoid that by paying the charge with the small enough penaltly attached.

Funnily enough one of the people on the thread is not liable but they keep telling others not to register and not to pay

That's me you're referring to I presume?

Funnily enough, there are others also in my position (not liable) who are advocating people to pay.
    Also, I'm currently not liable. I will be when they take my unfinished estate off the list.

I don't agree with abortion either dx, yet I've been lucky enough to have been born, should i change my views on that too, as I'm not liable?

What you and others have in mind for Ireland is a dictatorship, and Phil Hogan comes out and further outlines his Nazism ideas (didn't they also try to eradicate gypsies?)

It'll not last much longer.

Ghandee wrote: »
    What you and others have in mind for Ireland is a dictatorship, and Phil Hogan comes out and further outlines his Nazism ideas (didn't they also try to eradicate gypsies?)
    WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

WTF?

He's discriminating against them now too, what'll be next?

No gays, no blacks, no Jews housed next door ?

• Advertisement

If councils were to start posting out annual statements to everyone, this thread would be full of people deriding the waste.

What's with people leaving their objectivity at the door when entering this thread?

Not necessarily:
    1. it would be sent to all that matter instead of people who shouldnt recieve them like the HHC reminder letters
    2. people like to be informed in detail on what the money they provide is spent on
    3. its an annual one not a monthly one so i doubt it would cost the council a couple of million for a few sheets of paper
    4. it doesnt have to be in colour a simple black and white spreadsheet would suffice, further reducung cost
    5. People could apply for it so only those who want it will recieve it, saving money
    6. People could opt for it to be emailed to them, further reducing cost
    7. You can get free news papers in your door which is paid for through advertising the council could do the same
    8. they could apply to the free local paper and have it printed in/supplied with that at the end of the year with a donation to the paper in return for there services
    But anyway, we are straying from the HHC topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement