Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hijpo wrote: »
    Not necessarily:

[*]its an annual one not a monthly one so i doubt it would cost the council a couple of million for a few sheets of paper
    [*]it doesnt have to be in colour a simple black and white spreadsheet would suffice, further reducung cost

The standard "cost" for sending letters to people is €2.
    That includes the cost of franking, packaging, printing etc.
    That's why the likes of Vodafone, ESB etc all want customers to go to "paperless billing"! It eats into profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Utility bills are sent out every two months, this is anually. Supply it with the local paper if it costs to much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Not necessarily:
    1. it would be sent to all that matter instead of people who shouldnt recieve them like the HHC reminder letters
    2. people like to be informed in detail on what the money they provide is spent on
    3. its an annual one not a monthly one so i doubt it would cost the council a couple of million for a few sheets of paper
    4. it doesnt have to be in colour a simple black and white spreadsheet would suffice, further reducung cost
    5. People could apply for it so only those who want it will recieve it, saving money
    6. People could opt for it to be emailed to them, further reducing cost
    7. You can get free news papers in your door which is paid for through advertising the council could do the same
    8. they could apply to the free local paper and have it printed in/supplied with that at the end of the year with a donation to the paper in return for there services
    But anyway, we are straying from the HHC topic.

The so called HHC will not go to the LA's.
    It will go to central funds.
    LA funding will be reduced further in the next budget.
    It's handy for some on here to blame people who won't pay this charge for the reduction in LA budgets but the fact of the matter is that LA funding has been cut for years now, well before they dreamed up this fantasy charge.
    Divide and conquer, the FG way. Payers v non payers, PS v private sector, the usual bu11****e from a government that's way out of it's depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Not necessarily:
    1. it would be sent to all that matter instead of people who shouldnt recieve them like the HHC reminder letters
    2. people like to be informed in detail on what the money they provide is spent on
    3. its an annual one not a monthly one so i doubt it would cost the council a couple of million for a few sheets of paper
    4. it doesnt have to be in colour a simple black and white spreadsheet would suffice, further reducung cost
    5. People could apply for it so only those who want it will recieve it, saving money
    7. You can get free news papers in your door which is paid for through advertising the council could do the same
    8. they could apply to the free local paper and have it printed in/supplied with that at the end of the year with a donation to the paper in return for there services

Dont the Annual Reports published by LA's show where they have spent money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

donalg1 wrote: »
    Dont the Annual Reports published by LA's show where they have spent money?

Indeed they do donal. They also cost sweet f all, as the local authorities don't have to pay for franking or envelopes, etc. They just post them on their websites. Job done. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Indeed they do donal. They also cost sweet f all, as the local authorities don't have to pay for franking or envelopes, etc. They just post them on their websites. Job done. ;-)

They should do away with the franking allowances so?

Ghandee wrote: »

Do LA's get franking allowances?

Do LA's get franking allowances?

Are LAs part of the PS/CS?

http://www.thejournal.ie/public-sector-allowances-the-ones-they-might-change-600145-Sep2012/

Are LAs part of the PS/CS?

Obviously

Absolutely, they should. A frankly ridiculous allowance that was only put in place because FF were busy buying votes from agitating union members who had the govt by the balls.

• Advertisement

Obviously

Updated with a link Donal.

Also, unbelievable, a secretary/receptionist gets an allowance for answering the phone :eek:

Updated with a link Donal.

Also, unbelievable, a secretary/receptionist gets an allowance for answering the phone :eek:

See the link thanks, but it doesnt say they get a franking allowance for the production of the annual report though. Who actually gets it and what exactly is it? Seems to me an awful lot of those allowances need to be scrapped.

the more we fund the government and LA's with extra taxes the less incentive it is for them to scrap needless allowances, over the top salaries.

Instead of threatening people with fines and cuts to services, bargain with us by cutting needless allowances etc
    You would get a much better reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Not necessarily:

Or they could publish all of the figures on their websites. Job done.

dvpower wrote: »
    Or they could publish all of the figures on their websites. Job done.

Like they already do, you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Maybe we need a properly independent auditor to examine the books of each LA.
    Not like the ones who audited the banks etc, maybe someone from the IMF or another international body with some credibility.
    Figures in this little country are spun to produce the result needed.
    I wouldn't trust anyone involved with the PS to produce figures that weren't massaged.

Exactly. That's what I've been saying all along.
    No need to the extra expense of bulk mailings.

Exactly. That's what I've been saying all along.
    No need to the extra expense of bulk mailings.

I received letters reminding me about the hhc and sceptic tanks.

Neither of which applied to me, which I assume were part of a bulk mail campaign.

ncdadam wrote: »
    Maybe we need a properly independent auditor to examine the books of each LA.
    Not like the ones who audited the banks etc, maybe someone from the IMF or another international body with some credibility.
    Figures in this little country are spun to produce the result needed.
    I wouldn't trust anyone involved with the PS to produce figures that weren't massaged.
    Evading payments that helps pay for local government ... wants extra layer of administration. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Since the government has promised this money will be spent by local authorities I don't think it is unreasonable to know how your money is being spent. I am all for local community having a say on how their community is serviced and how money can be saved and spent more wisely. Personally I would prefer that County Managers have more accountability to their community.

• Advertisement

I received letters reminding me about the hhc and sceptic tanks.

Neither of which applied to me, which I assume were part of a bulk mail campaign.
    Whats your point? I'm against unnecessary bulk mailings.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Since the government has promised this money will be spent by local authorities I don't think it is unreasonable to know how your money is being spent. I am all for local community having a say on how their community is serviced and how money can be saved and spent more wisely. Personally I would prefer that County Managers have more accountability to their community.
    Maybe we should have a local government structure, with, say, local councilors. Every year they could publish their accounts on their websites. The budget could be voted on by the councilors, directly elected by the people. ;)

Whats your point? I'm against unnecessary bulk mailings.

I'm in agreement with you.

Bullseye1 wrote: »

I agree with this, each community or parish should elect a representative to liaise with the LA's and Councillors and should be able to request that some funding be used to improve an area within their parish, then the LA's and Councillors can discuss this and allocate the funding where it is most needed.

However this would be dependant on the LA's becoming more independent or less reliant on Central Government, but to do this they would need more autonomy and in particular more control over their finances and control over their revenue streams, through the introduction of property taxes etc. They would need to be able to keep what they collect and should be able to then decide where it is spent, without interference from Central Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Looks like Phil doesnt think he needs to expain why he tried to prevent a traveller family from moving into a house near his settled constituents.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/phil-hogan-hangs-up-on-interview-about-traveller-housing/

doesnt he know he represents travellers as well, and they have a right to hear his reasoning for discriminating against them?

EDIT
    Entire interview here
    http://kclr96fm.com/the-sue-nunn-show/phil-hogan-defends-letter-on-traveller-house/

Something along the lines of a County Development Board then.

:confused:

:confused:

Think you messed up the quotes there, but yes something along the lines of a County Development Board, but it would have more people on it as I said, and the LA's would have more autonomy as I also said. So something like a CDB but better than CDB's.

no i dont think i did.
    i mentioned something along those lines before and you pretty much said there was already such an organisation in place. Now you come back in agreement of a similar idea.

Maybe im picking it up wrong, appologies if i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,929 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ncdadam wrote: »
    The so called HHC will not go to the LA's.
    It will go to central funds.
    LA funding will be reduced further in the next budget.
    It's handy for some on here to blame people who won't pay this charge for the reduction in LA budgets but the fact of the matter is that LA funding has been cut for years now, well before they dreamed up this fantasy charge.
    Divide and conquer, the FG way. Payers v non payers, PS v private sector, the usual bu11****e from a government that's way out of it's depth.

You forgot Rural v Urban. That's their latest tactic.

• Advertisement

no i dont think i did.
    i mentioned something along those lines before and you pretty much said there was already such an organisation in place. Now you come back in agreement of a similar idea.

Maybe im picking it up wrong, appologies if i have.

No my bad I didnt remember saying that as it was back in July, fair play on the old memory there. But again yes something like a CDB only better and more inclusive of everyone in a county.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement