Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Deficit of 15 billion.

Bondholders paid back (on phone so forgive me, these come to mind immediately)

1.5 billion, paid back inn April (unguaranteed AIB)
    1 billion to go in Oct (unguaranteed to I think, Anglo)

That's 2.5 billion that could have been used to plug the deficit, or, just shy of 17% of the total deficit.

I'd take a 17% pay rise if I was offered it.

I detest when this old 'even without bondholder' line is rolled out, yet they're all out for a hundred quid hhc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Ghandee wrote: »
    Deficit of 15 billion.

Bondholders paid back (on phone so forgive me, these come to mind immediately)

1.5 billion, paid back inn April (unguaranteed AIB)
    1 billion to go in Oct (unguaranteed to I think, Anglo)

That's 2.5 billion that could have been used to plug the deficit, or, just shy of 17% of the total deficit.

I'd take a 17% pay rise if I was offered it.

I don't believe those numbers at all. That's just Anti-HHC propaganda. ;)

I don't believe those numbers at all. That's just Anti-HHC propaganda. ;)

Me neither bishop.

Prob loads more I've missed out/forgotten about.

Left laptop in my office :mad:

The true figure its prob 30-40% of the deficit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    Just wondering where the figure of pay for PS being 50% more than private sector comes from, is there a recent report?

It's closer to 20 - 25%. The indo spout this nonsense that its 40 - 50% every now and again and some eat it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Ghandee wrote: »
    Alas no. You are confusing debt with deficit.

Were we to find 2.5 billion down the back of the couch, that would reduce the deficit all right, but ONLY for this year.

We need to find 15 billion or so EVERY year, and unlike withheld debt payments, were we go that road, property tax will generate more revenue every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Isn't it our constitutional right to vote? Think Roscommon or any other CC who try this will find themselves in deep manure, and probably out of pocket to the tune of a lot of money, as costs will inevitably end up being charged against the respective CC's/LA's.

It is our constitutional right to vote-its not surprising they are attempting these dirty tricks, what other dirty tricks will they attempt who knows, maybe they might attempt to attach unpaid property taxes to peoples electricity and gas bills like they tried in Greece to fight non payment of property taxes there.

lugha wrote: »

No lugha, I'm well aware of the difference in the two

If we didn't take the 2.5 billion out of the economy to service the debt, we'd have that 2.5 billion in the coffers, eliminating the need to borrow it in the first place.

Oh, 2.5 billion debt we're not obliged to pay incidentally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

I produced CSO figures regarding the premium paid to our overpaid PS and the pro taxers deny the facts again. LOL.

ncdadam wrote: »
    I produced CSO figures regarding the premium paid to our overpaid PS and the pro taxers deny the facts again. LOL.

No I just prefer to use the proper figures showing actual net pay not gross pay and not including semi state companies as the wages of these aren't paid from the public purse. This tends to give a more accurate figure of the pay difference. Which makes much more sense.

donalg1 wrote: »
    No I just prefer to use the proper figures showing actual net pay not gross pay and not including semi state companies as the wages of these aren't paid from the public purse. This tends to give a more accurate figure of the pay difference. Which makes much more sense.

Gross pay is the one that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I shower in my own piss first before I pay these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

[QUOTE=dvpower;80961028

mqdefault.jpg

It was just a little bit too big for a passport photo, so I fixed it to the correct proportions, so your good to go now.

Dirty hoor:D

Dirty hoor:D
    When the going gets tough the tough gets dirty hoors

donalg1 wrote: »

Gross pay is the one that matters.

Not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

You're planning to shower in your own piss and then pay the HHC.:eek:

dvpower wrote: »
    You're planning to shower in your own piss and then pay the HHC.:eek:

Yeah and piss on my coins and pay in coins

Were we to find 2.5 billion down the back of the couch, that would reduce the deficit all right, but ONLY for this year.

We need to find 15 billion or so EVERY year, and unlike withheld debt payments, were we go that road, property tax will generate more revenue every year.

So you must think then that the country will never improve?, will never reduce unemployment?, will never get the domestic economy going?

€15 billion every year?

Yeah and piss on my coins and pay in coins

Fcuk it Eddie, these lads will take any money you have, even dirty money!

Fcuk it Eddie, these lads will take any money you have, even dirty money!

I will wipe my arse with my notes and pay them

• Advertisement

I will wipe my arse with my notes and pay them

Ah Jesus, too much info......

I use my ****e as facepaint and go braveheart on them

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Being from the UK originally, I really cant see what all the fuss is about. There's been a household charge (council tax) over there for years. A lot more than what most of you are going to pay. We lived in a council house at one time, not worth anymore than about 120k sterling and paid over £900 a year paid monthly. I know this may upset a few and some may think I'm trolling, but I can't understand why the huge fuss about it. Ireland is practically the only country in western europe that doesn't pay a household charge, and for the majority will only be around 300 euro unless you have a bigger more expensive house. We didn't have to pay the 100 euro as the landlord payed it as our house is rented. When we get a 300 euro bill come next year, I shall think to myself 'bargain, 600 quid cheaper than the UK'.
    Now, I haven't read all the posts as this will take up most of my adult life and I will miss my kids growing up, so haven't heard all your arguments for and against. But I do listen to Newstalk radio everyday, and its pretty much all they talk about, so I have got a good idea of what peoples arguments are.
    There are many huge injustices in Irelands financies, such as the ridiculous allowances paid to layabouts in the public sector, and the money pissed down the drain for the banks, but in my opinion this aint one of them.
    I dont like the idea of the water meters though. In the UK we had a standard water charge, whatever your usage, this could be bad news for families with more than 2 or 3 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sure everyone has pockets full of money to spare right down to their ankles. Do you ever stop to think about where people will get this extra money when they are broke already. The same people being targeted all the time. Honestly !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Being from the UK originally, I really cant see what all the fuss is about. There's been a household charge (council tax) over there for years. A lot more than what most of you are going to pay. We lived in a council house at one time, not worth anymore than about 120k sterling and paid over £900 a year paid monthly. I know this may upset a few and some may think I'm trolling, but I can't understand why the huge fuss about it. Ireland is practically the only country in western europe that doesn't pay a household charge, and for the majority will only be around 300 euro unless you have a bigger more expensive house. We didn't have to pay the 100 euro as the landlord payed it as our house is rented. When we get a 300 euro bill come next year, I shall think to myself 'bargain, 600 quid cheaper than the UK'.
    Now, I haven't read all the posts as this will take up most of my adult life and I will miss my kids growing up, so haven't heard all your arguments for and against. But I do listen to Newstalk radio everyday, and its pretty much all they talk about, so I have got a good idea of what peoples arguments are.
    There are many huge injustices in Irelands financies, such as the ridiculous allowances paid to layabouts in the public sector, and the money pissed down the drain for the banks, but in my opinion this aint one of them.
    I dont like the idea of the water meters though. In the UK we had a standard water charge, whatever your usage, this could be bad news for families with more than 2 or 3 kids.

Good post, what you will hear now is that no one would have a problem if everyone had to pay a HHC and we got better quality/more services in exchange for our money. I dont want to pay money and recieve nothing, its already been stated that there will be more cuts to services even when we do pay the HHC.

I'll ask him first.

These kids you mentioned, how much did it cost you in fees in the UK for their school?
    School dinners/canteen on site?
    Transport to school (free school bus?)

Did the council collect your rubbish included in your council tax?

Doctors are still free in the UK?

Prescriptions from the pharmacy are how much?

Oh, and tenants/home owners are Liable for rates, (both avail of the services afterall)

We could be here all night murph..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

If you live in Kilkenny, Hogan will try and keep out undesirables from your area for your €100 Household Charge. Good value that. If you're not from Hogans constituency- tough shyte. Just pay up.

How much for a pound of rashers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Difficulty paying your mortgage?
    Can’t find money to pay your electricity/fuel/phone etc? Have you considered a spot of the ‘aul hardball with the providers? That’ll learn ‘em.

Yeah, Mr Sensitivity, there is a lot of people that have difficulty paying mortgages, electricity/fuel etc, but we'el just keeping taking from them for the good of the country, whichever country the money is being sent to.

• Advertisement

I'll just ask you this then,
    How much to see a GP in England?
    Prescription charges in the UK? £6.80 max right?
    How much did you pay for schoolbooks every year?
    How much for refuse collection?
    Don't people in LA housing (renting) have to pay too?
    Don't people in private rented houses have to pay?
    See where I'm going with this? It may be €300 next year but give it 4 or 5 years and it'll be a couple of thousand, mark my words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement