Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The NO side won the day, more than half the people that were supposed to pay, did not. which means the NO vote won :rolleyes:
    Has the household charge been abolished ? :rolleyes:

Freddie59 wrote: »
    If it's a tax why is every household not liable?
    Ah Freddie, not this silliness again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dvpower wrote: »

Has anyone been fined or imprisoned yet?

mikom wrote: »
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

has Phil Hogan paid the management fees for his holiday villa in the Algarve?

• Advertisement

:confused:

:confused::confused:

has Phil Hogan paid the management fees for his holiday villa in the Algarve?
    :confused:+:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

= A Fine Gael supporter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

:confused:+:confused:+:confused:

Is that the way your debate is going dv?
    Where's alastair?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Just heard on the news that big Phil is thinking of rewarding those Local Authorities that actively pursue non payers. Rewarding them with what exactly wasn't specified in the report. I hope it isn't extra money or grants because that might just make a mockery of the whole "we are stone broke and need the money for essential local services" message that was put about when the campaign started.

Really beginning to think that Minister Hogan might be just a wee bit out of his depth with this. Between telling tales about how LA would be sent out to persuaded homeowners to pay this charge and now offering bribes to LA to reign in non payers, this just goes from bad to worse to farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

gerryo777 wrote: »

Where's alastair?

Gerryo

I have this gut feeling dv & alastair are one and the same.

TOO MANY similarities for my liking.

Biggins wrote: »
    = A Fine Gael supporter?

A fine gael minister for the environment??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MagicSean wrote: »
    This is something which really annoyed me. Nobody said anything about the council going door to door to collect money. The Irish Independent "learned" it somewhere and reported it. Then it caught on and the criminals started using it as an excuse to get onto properties. The no-pay camp then tried to use this to attack the government. It was such a ridiculous situation.

Well then Hogan should sue Maeve Sheehan of the Indo for this article in which she made the claims and slated him.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/maeve-sheehan-big-phils-late-charge-ends-with-a-whimper-3067582.html

Getting back on topic:

I find it DOUBLY ironic that Hogan while not paying his bills/charges/whatever - is also concerned over his privacy!

He isn’t concerned about privacy when it comes to dipping into EBS bills to gleam personal data off others is he?

MORE hypocrisy and double standards of course!

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Gerryo

I have this gut feeling dv & alastair are one and the same.

TOO MANY similarities for my liking.

A phantom of the opera type character sitting in the cellar of dail Eireann playing 2 laptops!!!!

phil1nj wrote: »
    Just heard on the news that big Phil is thinking of rewarding those Local Authorities that actively pursue non payers. Rewarding them with what exactly wasn't specified in the report. I hope it isn't extra money or grants because that might just make a mockery of the whole "we are stone broke and need the money for essential local services" message that was put about when the campaign started.

Really beginning to think that Minister Hogan might be just a wee bit out of his depth with this. Between telling tales about how LA would be sent out to persuaded homeowners to pay this charge and now offering bribes to LA to reign in non payers, this just goes from bad to worse to farcical.

Not long now before the "secret police" are formed.
    Backwards this country is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

alastair wrote: »
    You think? Could equally be that they don't count cheques that haven't cleared yet. I doubt that there's a a cunning plan by the 'yes camp' to bump up figures, while forgetting elementary maths.

Ah, so counting 12,677 who were eligible for a waiver as having paid wasn't bumping up figures? And deeming 89,000 registrations to have been paid, before processing to determine how many were eligible for waivers, wasn't bumping up figures?

Personally, Id say calling it "bumping up figures" is too charitable! Id call it telling lies!

In any case, the facts are, that 61.5 million euros had been raised by the charge by the deadline last night.

The facts are also that the Boston Herald reported:

http://www.bostonherald.com/business...osition=recent

DUBLIN — Debt-mired Ireland is facing a revolt over its new property tax.
    The government said less than half of the country’s 1.6 million households paid the charge by Saturday’s deadline to avoid penalties. And about 5,000 marched in protest against the annual conference of Prime Minister Enda Kenny’s Fine Gael party.
    The anti-charge campaign has succeeded in drawing International attention to the fact that the Irish people are unhappy.

Success!!:D:D

Not long now before the "secret police" are formed.
    Backwards this country is going.

If Enda starts dying his hair black and grows a little moustache someone's gonna have to take him out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

He isn’t concerned about privacy when it comes to dipping into EBS bills to gleam personal data off others is he?

The ESB cannot say who owns the house, what is the point? they can send a letter to the person who is named on the bill but that might not be the home owner.

Where's alastair?
    He just popped out to the shops for a few minutes.

D'oh!

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    The ESB cannot say who owns the house, what is the point? they can send a letter to the person who is named on the bill but that might not be the home owner.

You know that and I know that - as does many - but that won't stop FG and Labour from spinning some things in order to cohere people into coughing up out of possible fear of Big Brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Where's alastair?

You need him back to have someone to argue with. The poll here does not represent the position in the real world. And the bias in the poll is reflected in the postings on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You know that and I know that - as does many - but that won't stop FG and Labour from spinning some things in order to cohere people into coughing up out of possible fear of Big Brother.

This fiasco is just getting worse, the government always come out with ''we have to look good to the rest of Europe'' they are making themselves look like the idiots they are.
    They rushed headlong into this charge instead of thinking about how they were going to collect it. It will only get worse for them and they can scaremonger all the like will not make a difference.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    The facts are also that the Boston Herald reported:

http://www.bostonherald.com/business...osition=recent

The anti-charge campaign has succeeded in drawing International attention to the fact that the Irish people are unhappy.

Success!!:D:D

This type of international coverage is a success for the anti charge campaign?
    Many protesters booed and heckled passers-by who were wearing Fine Gael conference passes, some screaming vulgar insults in their faces.

Protesters jostled with police as they tried to block the way of Fine Gael activists using a back entrance. One man mistakenly identified as the government minister responsible for collecting the tax had to be rescued by police from an angry scrum.

Getting back on topic:

I find it DOUBLY ironic that Hogan while not paying his bills/charges/whatever - is also concerned over his privacy!

He didn't tell many about the 4k sponsorship he got from Denis O'Brien for his F.G. Golf Classic either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Sorry for the lack of input today, spent the day with family.

So to summarise, correct me if I'm wrong here though.

Phil Hogan refused to spend over 4k on a service contract on his luxury holiday home in the Algarave, a charge that presuambly goes towards the upkeep of hois apartment (service charge) and again, was presuamably in a contract he was shown, and agreed to before signing his name?

Phil has been quoted as asking if anyone else would pay for something they themselves werent happy with?

DVpower, admitted to me last night that Inland Revenue would not be chasing anyone in Ireland for this charge as it was not a tax, but a charge.

We have Alastair (whom seems to be DV's mate) countering this, by insisting it is a tax (even though its called a household charge.

Alastair himself admits to 'not paying his poll tax' when he lived in the UK, despite claiming that everyone liable must pay the household charge, (keep up Alastair, its a charge not a tax) as it was 'law of the land'

Then we have folk from the yes side declaring that we all receive services from the govt/LA, even those living in rural areas, people with no footpaths, no street lighting, no libaries, parks, swimmingpools etc etc.

No one in Ireland, (unlike big Phil) signed any contract obliging them to pay any charge put on their property, some may have thought long and hard before purchasing said property, if they at that time, had to factor in possibly over a grand a year extra in payments, may have reconsidered.
    YET, we have Phil Hogan himself, threatening OAP's, unemployed, vulnerable, that unless they pay a household charge, laws will be changed, doors will be knocked, to FORCE these people to pay up?

Irish public dont want to pay a charge, they never knew was coming, many refusing to pay because they are not happy with the services they currently receive.

Minister Phil Hogan, does not want to pay a charge to cover services on his private property, a charge he had seen, and most probably agreed to BEFORE taking on/signing up for in said property, because 'he was unhappy with the services received'.

You couldnt make it up lads, hypocrisy, lies, dictatorship.

Hogan should hang his head in shame.

Alastair and Dvpower have been caught out deliberatly trying to mislead people on this thread, with one of them actually admitting to tax evasion in the UK, whilst calling anyone on this threada 'law breaker' because they made a stand against a bullying, lying Govt, and refused to pay a household charge, (remember DV, you admittted yourself its not a tax)

Excuse me from here on in if I just disregard anything I see on my computer screen that has been typed by either of you from here on in.

My closing note:

Shame on you both.

This type of international coverage is a success for the anti charge campaign?

I told you lot that the people were angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This fiasco is just getting worse, the government always come out with ''we have to look good to the rest of Europe'' they are making themselves look like the idiots they are.
    They rushed headlong into this charge instead of thinking about how they were going to collect it. It will only get worse for them and they can scaremonger all the like will not make a difference.

If you get a letter asking for payment will that be scaremongering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

On the day the offence is committed? A Sunday no less? What criminal justice system are you living in?
    Well then Hogan should sue Maeve Sheehan of the Indo for this article in which she made the claims and slated him.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/maeve-sheehan-big-phils-late-charge-ends-with-a-whimper-3067582.html

That's up to him.
    Getting back on topic:

Again it's a law and not a personal bill. Do you also object to the Gardaí tracing owners of phones or vehicles for enforcing the law?

I doubt they want the owners names. The addresses would be just as useful.

There are a few reasons why people could object legitimately to this bill. Lack of means testing for one would be my problem with it. Lack of hypothecation would be another. Throwing in ****e about his holiday home management fees is a desperate excuse and to be honest I expected a higher standard of argument from some of the posters here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If you get a letter asking for payment will that be scaremongering?

No, I'm guestimating it will be a waste of paper though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement