Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

ncdadam wrote: »
    More of our hard earned tax euro being squandered by our overpaid, under worked, bloated PS. Throwing it around like confetti in the PS.Workers will have to pay it back? Yea, right, good luck to them with that!

All the same, would'nt it be grand to be the lucky receipient of the 2 million that the dept. of justice handed over for rent on a building that they never used, according to the news just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

This is from the newpaper article on your link.

County councils earned more than €68m from the NPPR charges last year, but it is not known how much potential revenue is being missed out on as a result of people avoiding the tax.

That was referring to 2010 and equates to 340,000 x €200. Self registration system just like the HHC. Nobody knows how many properties in the country are liable for HHC since there was no need to maintain a database for the last 35 years. But through time if the HHC legislation is used to its full extent that can be rectified and if this happens those who evaded the NPPR should be identified too.

I never noticed any big protest movement on behalf of those people who handed over their €200 every year no more than there is much protest against property tax in countries which never abolished it.

Prob because the position of the anti household tax is they re against a tax on the family home/primary residence-they re not against a tax on a second or third property, or a tax a on Investment properties-if the land registry is out of date, it remains to be seen how they will find out owners of single properties,esb/gas bills won,t be enough to proof ownership of a property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

In yesterdays paper how some people avoided paying tax via tax loopholes/releifs-if they were serious as they claim about tackling things-some would say wouldn,t they close some of these tax loopholes/releifs.

Richest
    avoid paying €373m in tax by taking advantage of reliefs

By Conor Ryan, Investigative Correspondent

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

More than 1,500 of the country’s top earners avoided paying €373m
    in taxes in 2010 by availingof a catalogue of reliefs.

The
    top 387 of these earners took home €345m that year alone.

The 56 tax
    reliefs allowed the rich to write off investments in areas including tourism,
    town renewal, mining, and health.

In 2010, the most lucrative
    shelter available was for investment in hotels and holiday homes. This allowed
    495 people to avoid paying €113m in tax through two separate relief
    options.

Separately, carrying forward unused reliefs from previous years
    allowed 202 people to reduce their tax exposure by €45m.

Income from
    nursing homes and residential centres allowed more than 100 investors cut their
    tax bill by €17m.

Investors in companies and partnerships avoided €10m in
    liabilities because they were able to discount the money they ploughed in to
    take a stake in business. And €20m of profits from artistic endeavours was kept
    out of Revenue’s reach.

The figures from Revenue were contained
    in the appendices of a report on the reduction of tax loopholes for high
    earners.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/richest-avoid-paying-373m-in-tax-by-taking-advantage-of-reliefs-208879.html#.UGODCJtPOTM.facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

lugha wrote: »
    Shall we all just ignore the fact that a substantial part of the reason we are in the mess that we are in was down to worldwide, reckless practices by banks and financial institutions. Remind me again what sector they are in? ;)

(Aren’t you a little embarrassed that “your” sector basically made such a complete balls of things? :P)

Or reading it I suspect. :pac:

And "your sector" continues to suck the country dry, eh?

Tis funny how some here give out about the public sector being useless. Yet when its pointed out to them that it was the private sector that fcuked this country up for the next 50 years or more they say its because the public sector didn't mammy them enough.

Basically they say that the public sector assumed those employed in the private sector could do their jobs and this is the main problem. As the public sector didn't realise the private sector was full of incompetent reckless idiots who need constant regulation and baby sitting.

I mean if only the private sector worker could do their job properly we wouldnt be in this mess. Thankfully the public sector now are beginning to realise that they need to mammy the private sector and citizens.

lugha wrote: »
    Have you as estimate of what you think could be saved by going after the high paying jobs? I would again suggest very little, because there are comparatively very few such people. You would also have to go after the more modestly paid, but far more numerous, wider public sector workers.

There are quite a few people on here, that when they get the answer to a question, whether they dont read all the posts, or they genuinely do not see a particular post, they seem somehow to ask the same questions again and again. Anyway, lugha, I reposted this posters post, in case you did miss it. There is no way you can deny that this cannot be done, but I'm sure you'll come up with some negative.
    Izzy Skint wrote: »
    Lugha, the politicians are only the tip of the iceberg, do you want some serious savings ?....how about this.....cut the number of td's by at least a half if not more, cut their advisor's and sundry support staff etc., abolish their expenses, abolish the seanad, cut pay and numbers in the semi-states, with over 600 quango's in existence there is serious scope for cuts there....now work your way down through the public service and cut out all the chaffe from the civil service, HSE and education, amalgamate county and city councils and group counties together to reduce numbers even further, cut a lot of the pen pushers, planners, head planners, chief engineers, regional pen pushers managers, assistant regional pen pushers , regional pen pushers directors, assistant regional pen pushers directors etc etc....what a load of ****e !!!!!
    THEN !....with all who are left, cut their pay, perks, allowances and pensions.....serious savings there I think....billions, not millions if it was all added up.
    Why can't something like this be done ?....
    "a numbers game" you say ?....it sure is, many screwed to support a very priveledged few.

• Advertisement

donalg1 wrote: »
    Basically they say that the public sector assumed those employed in the private sector could do their job and this is the main problem. As the public sector didn't realise the private sector was full of incompetent reckless idiots who need constant regulation and baby sitting.

Except that this guy was'nt paid to assume. Read it.

€630,000 golden handshake for the bungling banks watchdog Pat ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

darkhorse wrote: »
    Including all council tenants?
    No, that is my point. :confused: The people who will not be affected by a property tax are substantially the same people who would not be affected by a rise in income tax.

But some say they will not pay the property tax, as it is unfair that the above mentioned do not pay, but say they are happy to pay increased income tax instead! A tax the above mentioned, to a great extent, will also not be liable for.

Like I said, a bogus argument.
    darkhorse wrote: »
    I reposted this posters post, in case you did miss it. There is no way you can deny that this cannot be done, but I'm sure you'll come up with some negative.
    I don’t know why you thought I missed it? :confused: I replied to it!

If YOU read that post, and the previous contributions of Izzy, it is quite clear that his solution (and mine in part) would involve extensive cuts right across the public sector, and not just at a few (or even a few hundred, or a few thousand) at the top.

Thus his solution WILL involve getting ordinary workers to shoulder some of the burden. The question I asked was, can anyone devise a COMPLETE solution to our problems that will not hurt at least some ordinary, modest earners. So far, nobody has been able to make much of an argument that it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Just a reminder guys n gals, today is the last day not to bother your @rse registering for Phils septic tax for a fiver...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

That was one laughable post just there by the young boy.
    Politicians and regulators fail to do the job their paid for i.e. regulate and apply the laws set down by their political masters to control a notoriously dodgy banking industry and now he's trying to blame all private industry for the mess we're in.
    I mean, having a warped view is one thing, but trying to score some kind of points against other posters by rewriting history, well that's just sad.
    I suppose common sense comes with maturity.

That was one laughable post just there by the young boy.
    Politicians and regulators fail to do the job their paid for i.e. regulate and apply the laws set down by their political masters to control a notoriously dodgy banking industry and now he's trying to blame all private industry for the mess we're in.
    I mean, having a warped view is one thing, but trying to score some kind of points against other posters by rewriting history, well that's just sad.
    I suppose common sense comes with maturity.

Ha so you agree then that the private sector are incompetent and need baby sitting and can't be left alone to do their job

Explains your lack of common sense I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Just a reminder guys n gals, today is the last day not to bother your @rse registering for Phils septic tax for a fiver...

No disrespect BG, but a fiver is extremely good value.

To register, to be told your tank ain't suitable, then be forced to buy a new one at 2500 :pac:

thats true, of course E2505 is way more affordable than E2550.
    my maths and budgeting abilities are atrocious. (i may have to run for office)
    ;)

A weak reply above from a poster that always has to have the last immature word on everything. LOL.
    Who starts a sentence with 'Ha'?:rolleyes:

McGuinness has it right here.
    Maybe if these faceless overpaid and underworked PS wasters were named and shamed they might be more careful with our money and we wouldn't need to bring in taxes that single out only one section of society.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20764073/?view=Standard

I am sure there are a few genius' that won't avail of it and will instead pay the 50 or even wait to be fined 5000 for it.

A weak reply above from a poster that always has to have the last immature word on everything. LOL.
    Who starts a sentence with 'Ha'?:rolleyes:

ha who exactly are you talking to it seems you are rambling quite a lot around here. Can't you quote a post? Anyway I'm putting you back on the ignore list or troll list as I call it. You should be happy though its a very exclusive list only the biggest trolls get on it. Population 1 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I am sure there are a few genius' that won't avail of it and will instead pay the 50 or even wait to be fined 5000 for it.

Back to school.
    fewadjective /fyo͞o/ 
    fewer, comparative; fewest, superlative
    1. A small number of
      • - may I ask a few questions?
      • - I will recount a few of the stories told me
      • - many believe it but only a few are prepared to say

2. Used to emphasize how small a number of people or things is
      • - he had few friends
      • - few thought to challenge these assumptions
      • - very few of the titles have any literary merit
      • - one of the few who survived
      • - a population of fewer than two million
      • - sewing was one of her few pleasures
      • - ask which products have the fewest complaints

including this one. Fined 5000 or charged 5000 to "fix" it, amounts to the same thing.
    if the DOE were serious about pollution they would be out testing the waterways and tracing pollutants back to source. this is about makey uppy jobs fixing thing that dont need to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

McGuinness has it right here.
    Maybe if these faceless overpaid and underworked PS wasters were named and shamed they might be more careful with our money and we wouldn't need to bring in taxes that single out only one section of society.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20764073/?view=Standard

Mc Guinness is right to a point but he is just point scoring against the opposition. The reason for much of the trouble in the Public Sector (to me) is that the Govt appoints their own men to the highest positions and they are not fit for purpose. F.F. did the same. They want to control the different branches of the PS to make sure that they remain faithful and allow them to control things. It's rarely about finance at all.
    How come the Govt are allowed to promote Judges, Garda Commissioners, Financial Regulator, HSE top-dogs etc. It is for the purpose of maintaining control and enacting their policies. It is not for the benefit of the public at all as far as I can see. These people are not worried about waste they are worried about control and getting their way. Look at Reilly and what he did this week in his own constituency. All they are interested in is being re-elected.

It's so funny around here, even though the young boy was warned already by mods and has said numerous times he has me on ignore, he just can't help himself.
    Best to ignore his ramblings I think. HA!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

What's the principled objection against the septic tank charge?

Is it the same as that for he HHC and Property Tax or is there a common denominator here - you object to taxes/charges that may effect you?

including this one. Fined 5000 or charged 5000 to "fix" it, amounts to the same thing.
    if the DOE were serious about pollution they would be out testing the waterways and tracing pollutants back to source. this is about makey uppy jobs fixing thing that dont need to be fixed.
    They should wait for the pollution to occur before fixing it, instead of prevention!!!
    Genius idea alright.:rolleyes:

How come the Govt are allowed to promote Judges, Garda Commissioners, Financial Regulator, HSE top-dogs etc. It is for the purpose of maintaining control and enacting their policies. It is not for the benefit of the public at all as far as I can see.
    Not sure if serious.

dvpower wrote: »
    They should wait for the pollution to occur before fixing it, instead of prevention!!!
    Genius idea alright.:rolleyes:

it should cost 5k to fix a problem that doesnt exist, what gov dept did you say you work for DV? :D

What's the principled objection against the septic tank charge?

Is it the same as that for he HHC and Property Tax or is there a common denominator here - you object to taxes/charges that may effect you?

more tax for nothing. government thinking they have the right to force me to spend money on something that isnt broken.

aside from that, if they used my previous suggestion of testing water and tracing damage septic tanks(and polluting businesses), then giving extremely high fines to people that wont fix them, ive no problem with environmental protection. in fact i actively encourage it.

it should cost 5k to fix a problem that doesnt exist, what gov dept did you say you work for DV? :D
    It costs nothing to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
    It costs a little bit to check if a problem exists.
    It costs a lot more to fix the catastrophic effects of a defective septic tank.

Anyway, its off topic. I'm sure the €5 registration charge evaders have their own thread where they construct fanciful arguments against maintaining their septic tanks.

aside from that, if they used my previous suggestion of testing water and tracing damage septic tanks(and polluting businesses), then giving extremely high fines to people that wont fix them, ive no problem with environmental protection. in fact i actively encourage it.

You want to protect the environment by waiting for it to be damaged by defective septic tanks before taking any action.:eek:

It costs nothing to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
    It costs a little bit to check if a problem exists.
    It costs a lot more to fix the catastrophic effects of a defective septic tank.

Anyway, its off topic. I'm sure the €5 registration charge evaders have their own thread where they construct fanciful arguments against maintaining their septic tanks.

it will cost a lot to fix a problem that doesnt exist when there is goverment involvement. i see it every day and so would you if you took notice.

You want to protect the environment by waiting for it to be damaged by defective septic tanks before taking any action.:eek:

maybe we should put nappies on cows as well (just for prevention mind you:D)

• Advertisement

maybe we should put nappies on cows as well (just for prevention mind you:D)
    ... just when I thought you couldn't be more ridiculous ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement