Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Was anyone watching primetime the other night on abortion? FG are against abortion and there was a FG councilior or someone saying:
    'We are committed to our pre election promises'.

Really now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

i have been retired for two years now.....

but i can remember paying about £200 on pay of about £720....

paying council tax of about £30 a week on top of that....

then vat on purchages......

very had to work out total percentages......but certainly far too much....

What is electricity prices like in the UK?

Our ESB is due to go up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I think we all knew it, at least Quinn confirmed it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/troika-aib-bond-quinn-620483-Oct2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ghandee wrote: »
    I think we all knew it, at least Quinn confirmed it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/troika-aib-bond-quinn-620483-Oct2012/
    I don't think this was ever in question.

The only reason we are paying the bondholders is because if we don't, we run out of money.

That has never changed and so far nobody has proposed any real alternative solution except for, "Let's stop paying and see what happens".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think this was ever in question.

The only reason we are paying the bondholders is because if we don't, we run out of money.

That has never changed and so far nobody has proposed any real alternative solution except for, "Let's stop paying and see what happens".

Greece looked like they were going to do that and they got a massive write down of their loans!
    We haven't missed a payment and we're treated like sh1te.

• Advertisement

ncdadam wrote: »
    Greece looked like they were going to do that and they got a massive write down of their loans!

We'll not even mention Iceland either.

Pretty quiet on this thread lately.

The fact that yet another FG scandal with Fr Stack emerged recently is purely coincidental of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Came across a cracker of a rhyme, thought it would cheer us up;)

Baa baa Irish sheep
    Have you any wool
    Yes Enda yes Enda
    Three bags full
    One for the troika
    And one for the gravy train
    And one for the bondholders without any name

I think we are heading for tumultuous times. A lot of the 'recovery' in our economy is based on the export market helping to sustain jobs. I came across this today, bearing in mind this from the main receiver of our exports: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19812990

What has this to do with the HHC? A lot I would say, as there will be the inevitable knock-on effect and people lose their jobs and thus more fall into arrears.

I heard an American woman on Drivetime this evening, who was commenting on the AIB 0.5% variable increase ( full 1% in 3.5 months). She voiced the opinion that perhaps the government should look at trying to get money into people's pockets, and thus get them to spend, thus get more people taken on. I have said before about the underground in Stockholm and what they did back in the 80's.

Whatever anyone says, they only got +- 50% people to pay the charge. I honestly can see the exact same scenario occuring on the water charge. I really wonder is it time for the govt. to reassess what's happening, and go in another direction?

Or am I just in cuckoo land??

A property tax was in the troika's 'deal' with FF.

We fired FF out of office for being, amongst other things, incompetent fools.

Now, we are not getting treated properly by the troika, not by a long mark.
    Enda, if he had any balls, should go directly to the troika and tell them that he has done everything else asked of him, the economy in Ireland is on it's knees and that a property tax at this moment in time is self defeating.
    He should tell them that when the economy recovers and people are not pinned to the collar as they are right now, the property tax can be reconsidered then.
    Taking more money from an already failing economy, just to please some suits who don't give a fcuk about Ireland, is the height of insanity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Aside from the fact that you appear to be confusing sovereign debt with bank debt, are you actually comparing Greece favourably with us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If we had let the banks fail private entities would have defaulted not the Irish People. That was the real alternative and one not offered to the Irish People.

This very statement matches how banks are dealing with people and their mortgages. Those who are paying but struggling and would like to refinance and being put on the long finger while those who take the serious decision to default are being dealt with.

It there was a serious alternative to using banks I'm sure the majority of people would like to give the banks the two fingers. As soon as my mortgage is paid off I'm going to cut all ties with the bastards.

Aside from the fact that you appear to be confusing sovereign debt with bank debt, are you actually comparing Greece favourably with us?

I think we all know the difference.
    Our deficit is another days work, but if anyone thinks that by heaping tax on tax we'll get out of this mess, they're wrong.
    Almost 15% unemployment remember, less money to be spent in the domestic economy because of all these taxes meaning no growth in the domestic economy.
    No growth in the domestic economy = an increasing welfare bill.
    Self defeating taxes.
    Wake up pro taxers, the medicine is killing the patient.

I'm saying that Greece fcuked up and got a write down, we play the best boy in class and get fcuked around.

I think we all know the difference.
    Our deficit is another days work, but if anyone thinks that by heaping tax on tax we'll get out of this mess, they're wrong.
    Almost 15% unemployment remember, less money to be spent in the domestic economy because of all these taxes meaning no growth in the domestic economy.
    No growth in the domestic economy = an increasing welfare bill.
    Self defeating taxes.
    Wake up pro taxers, the medicine is killing the patient.

Oh, and let's not forget what 'our' bank (we own it now right?) Did this week
    Mon, pay a billion euro to anono Bond holders it wad not obliged to pay.
    Then, hits its mortgage holders with an interest rate to recoup the very money they paid out, from the same people who effectively paid it, ie the tax payers.

This country and the **** at the helms sickens me.

The martyrs of 1916 would be spinning in their graves at the treason that's going on around us. :mad:

And the majority of the government out of the country.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Oh, and let's not forget what 'our' bank (we own it now right?) Did this week
    Mon, pay a billion euro to anono Bond holders it wad not obliged to pay.
    Then, hits its mortgage holders with an interest rate to recoup the very money they paid out, from the same people who effectively paid it, ie the tax payers.

This country and the **** at the helms sickens me.

The martyrs of 1916 would be spinning in their graves at the treason that's going on around us. :mad:

Ghandee, it's a warped, corrupted, gutless, little country being ran and supported by yes men.
    As long as the gravy train that is public 'service' is kept motoring on, it's fcuk everyone else because I'm alright Jack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I think we are heading for tumultuous times. A lot of the 'recovery' in our economy is based on the export market helping to sustain jobs. I came across this today, bearing in mind this from the main receiver of our exports: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19812990

What has this to do with the HHC? A lot I would say, as there will be the inevitable knock-on effect and people lose their jobs and thus more fall into arrears.

I heard an American woman on Drivetime this evening, who was commenting on the AIB 0.5% variable increase ( full 1% in 3.5 months). She voiced the opinion that perhaps the government should look at trying to get money into people's pockets, and thus get them to spend, thus get more people taken on. I have said before about the underground in Stockholm and what they did back in the 80's.

Whatever anyone says, they only got +- 50% people to pay the charge. I honestly can see the exact same scenario occuring on the water charge. I really wonder is it time for the govt. to reassess what's happening, and go in another direction?

Or am I just in cuckoo land??

Unlike the household tax, when they try to Introduce water rates, everyone will be asked to pay including those renting and those in council housing-I predict massive opposition to water rates when the time comes-It seems Bord Gais will be writing to people next year to ask them to register their details for water rates-a quote from the very end of this article-
    Bord Gáis will be writing to all households connected to the public water mains next May asking them to confirm personal details so as to be set up as customers of Irish Water.)

Don,t Register and Don,t Pay

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1003/1224324777277.html

Ghandee, it's a warped, corrupted, gutless, little country being ran and supported by yes men.
    As long as the gravy train that is public 'service' is kept motoring on, it's fcuk everyone else because I'm alright Jack!

But thats it for me NC...we are fcuked. They want more, but in reality, there is no more to take. Whatever chance the Irish economy has of recovering is being squeezed out of the system by the troika, and this bunch of excuses named a 'government' haven't the balls to differ. Mind You why should they? Otherwise they can't claim travelling expenses for the month they didn't travel.

THIEVES!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1003/1224324777277.html[/QUOTE]

What's going on here? We were told ( for the HHC) there are 1.6m dwellings in the Republic. The IT article states there are 1.05m eligible homes Where did the other 550,000 homes go?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1003/1224324777277.html[/QUOTE]

What's going on here? We were told ( for the HHC) there are 1.6m dwellings in the Republic. The IT article states there are 1.05m eligible homes Where did the other 550,000 homes go?

Either they re fiddling the figures or a good portion of houses won,t be suitable for water meter installation.

Although this article is 4 months old, excellent comparisons:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/05/201252874716394428.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The rest are already in group schemes and are already paying for their water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

And the golden circles lies keep on coming . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

My mortgage is 350k - 8k in the hole, with this increase my mortgage will have gone up by 300euro a month in the space of 4 months!

I'm sick to my stomach all day, I've headaches, naussia, I nearly crashed the car this morning when I heard this on the radio first thing this morning.

I owe 500 to gas and electric and now they've gone up by 6%!

I've no broadband from tomorrow, I've sold the tv, I started selling my clothes today, I've sold every blessed thing not nailed down in the house.

The mileage in work has been cut so much, it doesn't pay for the petrol going to sites.

I can't even afford to put petrol in the car at the moment, I have to hitch a ride with a lunatic to get in and out of work.

These bastards are gonna raise income tax in december I just know it, I give up, I'll be selling my blood next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Andy454 wrote: »
    My mortgage is 350k - 8k in the hole, with this increase my mortgage will have gone up by 300euro a month in the space of 4 months!

I'm sick to my stomach all day, I've headaches, naussia, I nearly crashed the car this morning when I heard this on the radio first thing this morning.

I owe 500 to gas and electric and now they've gone up by 6%!

I've no broadband from tomorrow, I've sold the tv, I started selling my clothes today, I've sold every blessed thing not nailed down in the house.

The mileage in work has been cut so much, it doesn't pay for the petrol going to sites.

I can't even afford to put petrol in the car at the moment, I have to hitch a ride with a lunatic to get in and out of work.

These bastards are gonna raise income tax in december I just know it, I give up, I'll be selling my blood next!

may i ask, why you bought a house that was so dear....

dvpower wrote: »
    The rest are already in group schemes and are already paying for their water.

Eh, no!
    As of 2010 there were 170,000 homes on 5,500 GWS.
    300,000 or so homes will not be metered because of the high cost or technical difficulties involved in metering.
    Houses on the above mentioned GWS avail of grants too,

Rates

Individual Supply Grant Scheme
    Under this scheme, if your house is more than 7 years old and not connected to either a public or a group scheme, you may be eligible for a grant (subject to some conditions). The grant is worth up to €2,031.58 (or 75% of the cost of the work, whichever is the lesser) and must be used to provide a new water supply or to upgrade an existing one. Only one grant per house will be allowed in any 10-year period. In order to qualify for the grant, the proposed work must cost more than €635. A local authority inspection will be carried out before any work starts.

The kind of work that would be eligible for the grant is the drilling of a new well or the provision of essential pumping or water filtration/disinfection equipment.

For more details and application forms, apply to your local authority.

Group Water Grant Scheme
    Grants are available from the local authority if 2 or more householders get together to provide their homes and farms with a water system where none exists. A committee that represents the scheme members must propose the scheme and the local authority must approve it. The amount of grant payable depends on where the scheme is located. Check with your local authority for details of your area. Generally, a grant will cover 85% of the cost, with a limit of €6,475 for each house in the scheme. The group members must cover the balance, but costs can be kept down if members can do some of the work themselves.

An annual subsidy is available for the running costs of the group water scheme. This must be approved by the local authority. The amount of subsidy is 100% of the qualifying expenditure up to the following limits:

€70 for each house supplied from a from a local authority source (public mains)
    €140 for each house supplied from a private source (such as a private well)
    Where a group scheme has provided its own water treatment plant under a Design, Build, Operate (DBO) contract, a new subsidy will be paid to cover the full production cost of treated water for domestic use.

Get it right dv and don't be putting lies out about 500,000 'already pay for their water'.

Around the end of November before the budget-there will be anti austerity protest march-just to survey people on here against the household tax and get some feedback- (1) would you be in favour of single anti austerity marches in every local town on a choosen date-or would you think one big anti austerity march in dublin would be better ? (2) how many on here will leave their keyboard for a few hours and march against the property tax ?

• Advertisement

Around the end of November before the budget-there will be anti austerity protest march-just to survey people on here against the household tax and get some feedback- (1) would you be in favour of single anti austerity marches in every local town on a choosen date-or would you think one big anti austerity march in dublin would be better ? (2) how many on here will leave their keyboard for a few hours and march against the property tax ?

Haven't you heard AC, this government have turned their back on the people who elected them. They won't listen.
    Marching is a waste of time, the best way is to hit them where it hurts.
    Don't pay and make it as expensive as possible for them to try and bring it in.
    Eventually they might see that it's costing more than it's bringing in, financially and socially.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement