Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why not hand out catalogues part time for a month, C. €400, pay the charge 4 times over.

It would stop the commie whinging goin on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

donvito99 wrote: »
    Why not hand out catalogues part time for a month, C. €400, pay the charge 4 times over.

Because it doesnt matter how much or what way you get the money together, at the end of it all the irish people who provide the government with this money get nothing in return for it while government and public sector fat cats are not effected in the slightest bit. We are all in this togther? my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

donvito99 wrote: »

As Stalin said when he opened the first Gulag...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I was watching Euronews this morning, and 2 EU countries were featured:

1) Lithuania are changing their govt as a show of rejection of austerity &

2) It appears Portugal are also going along a similar route. The people are voting with their feet more and more, and there is a general strike scheduled for next month.

It would seem that there is more and more rebellion to these stringent measures being taken across Europe.

Wonder when, or if, Ireland will start marching. Perhaps we are waiting for the upcoming budget?

All I know is ( speaking personally) they can't get anything more out of me - I simply haven't got it. And no, I am not playing the sympathy card, just stating what I think is the same for thousands of people across this Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Le_Dieux wrote: »

2) It appears Portugal are also going along a similar route. The people are voting with their feet more and more, and there is a general strike scheduled for next month.

It would seem that there is more and more rebellion to these stringent measures being taken across Europe.

Wonder when, or if, Ireland will start marching. Perhaps we are waiting for the upcoming budget?

All I know is ( speaking personally) they can't get anything more out of me - I simply haven't got it. And no, I am not playing the sympathy card, just stating what I think is the same for thousands of people across this Island.

Well that's bound to work well. Now that both countries has said no to austeriety I'm sure growth and prosperity is right around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

can these people doing the marching........please explain where the money is to come from......

austerity is not imposed......

it is payback time for money that has been spent.....and countries can not affoed to borrow again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I think of the main reasons there has being lack of protest marches is the trade union leadership have sold out its members-
    David Begg has been all over the media defending the Crook Perk deal. This is the same David Begg that sat on the Audit Committee of the Central Bank while the banks destroyed the country. This is the same David Begg that sat on the board of the central bank. This is the same David Begg that sits on the board of Aer Lingus. This is the same David Begg that earns over €150,000 a year leading a union. This is the same David Begg that did all those deals with Bertie Ahern. David Begg should be in jail and not on the national state preaching about how to run the country. Ever wonder why the unions are afraid to have a national day of protest? The unions are bought off. All the leaders are on the gravy train with FF/FG/Labour. The leaders of most of our unions are traitors to the working class-the only trade union that hasn,t sold out is the unite trade union-Unite have the only single trade union to call on its member not to register and pay the household charge,plus putting down motions at its branches for Industrial action if a property tax is deducted at source-Siptu just happens to be the union with the largest membership, with ties to the labour party-I have said it before if people want to fight back, put pressure on their union reps/shop stewards or alternatively
    Cancel their union membership with siptu unless they organise to fight back or join the Unite trade union, siptu union leaders are bought off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well that's bound to work well. Now that both countries has said no to austeriety I'm sure growth and prosperity is right around the corner.

Time will tell.

If growth and prosperity start to show in both their economies, our cronies should start to get extremely nervous.

Domino effect.

can these people doing the marching........please explain where the money is to come from......

it is payback time for money that has been spent.....and countries can not affoed to borrow again.....
    Patrick Nulty TD, Nessa Childers MEP and Tommy Broughan TD attended a press conference to announce their budget proposals in Dublin earlier today-we will prob hear excuses from FG they want to tax work any more, as an excuse not to tax the higher earners, along with other excuses.

Two
    Labour TDs and a MEP have called for the inclusion of a wealth tax in December’s
    budget.

Dublin
    North East TD Tommy Broughan, Dublin West TD Patrick Nulty, both of whom are
    without the party whip in the Dáil, and Ireland East MEP Nessa Childers, have
    also called for a new 48 per cent tax rate on incomes of more than €100,000 and
    a tax on financial institutions.

Outlining
    their proposals at a press conference in Dublin today, Mr Nulty said that since
    2008, €25 billion had been sucked out of the economy through cuts and taxes on
    ordinary people.

"This
    cannot continue and it is time to tax wealth in Ireland," he added.

Mr
    Broughan estimated that a new higher third-rate of tax on incomes of more than
    €100,000 would raise €365 million in a year.

Ms
    Childers said a "bankers' tax", which was a levy on financial institutions,
    could raise funds for job creation and alleviate the need for cuts to essential
    frontline services.

"Right
    across Europe there is huge support for a 'bankers tax' which is a small levy on
    financial transactions," she said.

"The
    financial transactions tax is a core policy objective of the European Social
    Democratic movement and it is both necessary and important for Ireland to
    support a tax that asks bankers to pay something back to citizens

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1015/breaking32.html#.UHw77q2IfTI.facebook."

Patrick Nulty TD, Nessa Childers MEP and Tommy Broughan TD attended a press conference to announce their budget proposals in Dublin earlier today-we will prob hear excuses from FG they want to tax work any more, as an excuse not to tax the higher earners, along with other excuses

You seem to be very good at castigating the negativity Chucky.

What would You suggest we do? Sit back and take ALL the sh1t being thrown at us?

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with what You say here Golden Lane.

What I DO have a problem with is these leeches in the guise of TD's etc. ALL we have heard is this effing tax, that effing tax, more water charges, fuel going up, heating going up.

What have THEY given up? I am a courier and it fcuking galls me them bastards can pay themselves €12,000 just to GO TO 'work'. You and I are paying them &*^%$£" to go to work? The taxman is hounding me for €4,000 in back tax...I will pay it, but what are they doing about that excuse for a td in Wexford??

One rule for us, and a TOTALLY seperate rule for them.

Fcuk that!!!

Oh, and speaking of borrowing again, I hear now Greece might look for a THIRD bailout. Nuff said!

Anyone else notice a good few of the pro property tax posters have being very quiet on this thread the last few days.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a good few of the pro property tax posters have being very quiet on this thread the last few days.

Noticed it too AM.....Hardly any on lately:(

I think of the main reasons there has being lack of protest marches is the trade union leadership have sold out its members-
    David Begg has been all over the media defending the Crook Perk deal. This is the same David Begg that sat on the Audit Committee of the Central Bank while the banks destroyed the country. This is the same David Begg that sat on the board of the central bank. This is the same David Begg that sits on the board of Aer Lingus. This is the same David Begg that earns over €150,000 a year leading a union. This is the same David Begg that did all those deals with Bertie Ahern. David Begg should be in jail and not on the national state preaching about how to run the country. Ever wonder why the unions are afraid to have a national day of protest? The unions are bought off. All the leaders are on the gravy train with FF/FG/Labour. The leaders of most of our unions are traitors to the working class-the only trade union that hasn,t sold out is the unite trade union-Unite have the only single trade union to call on its member not to register and pay the household charge,plus putting down motions at its branches for Industrial action if a property tax is deducted at source-Siptu just happens to be the union with the largest membership, with ties to the labour party-I have said it before if people want to fight back, put pressure on their union reps/shop stewards or alternatively
    Cancel their union membership with siptu unless they organise to fight back or join the Unite trade union, siptu union leaders are bought off.

If Begg should be in jail, where should Ahearn be AM?:pac:

If Begg should be in jail, where should Ahearn be AM?:pac:

In jail too.

In jail too.

That he is still walking the streets drawing down a pension is a disgrace. Him, and his cohorts:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Only just over a week ago, angry protesters blocked Eamon Gilmores car and egged it, today Enda Kenny gets heckled in sligo by an angry crowd of local citizens-I think this is only the start of a new reality for Politicians to be greeted by angry mobs when out and about, after the budget there will be a lot more of it-click on the audio in the link to hear kennys greeting in Sligo.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-heckled-by-angry-protesters-in-sligo-570610.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Countries have deficits. Spending too much than what they are taking in and governments are cutting spending and raising taxes to close the deficit. But this measure is strangling local economies leading to jobs losses and large unemployment putting a strain on SW and spending.

Just like if you were to have a deficit in your home budget you would do all that you can to close it fairly lively by cutting back, perhaps looking for employment or more employment if already employed and maybe scrapping your kids pocket money.

All this austerity is just going to strangle local economies. I just don't see it working. In my little town many establishments have packed in. Those still alive are closing for the winter because the custom is just not there. People aren't spending. They don't have money to spend or their money goes on estentials like food and bills and keeping a roof over their heads and after all that, there's nothing more.

But what else can they do? American went the route of spending their way out from their collapse and it's left them in a bigger hole.

I think the real problem all across the board is growth. It's just not there for all the unemployed across Europe and indeed across the pond in America. Now this is just my opinion but so many countries fcuked with deficits and debts and all in a similar boat but I'd say what we are seeing is definately not a recession or recession but a depression like the great depression from the 1930s. Governments know it too but they are just not saying.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Time will tell.

If growth and prosperity start to show in both their economies, our cronies should start to get extremely nervous.

Domino effect.

What do you mean if? I thought stopping austerity was guaranteed to bring growth!

You seem to be very good at castigating the negativity Chucky.

What would You suggest we do? Sit back and take ALL the sh1t being thrown at us?

What **** is being thrown at us? We haven't balanced our books and it's something we need to do. Our budget deficit isn't just going to magically disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What other section of our workforce get paid to travel to work?
    When I go to work I have to pay for my own transport be it bus, train or my own car.
    The 12k given to every T.D. should cease immediately.

• Advertisement

What **** is being thrown at us? We haven't balanced our books and it's something we need to do. Our budget deficit isn't just going to magically disappear.

So, what You saying then? Sit back and take all these extra taxes kenny and gilmore are throwing at us, while they still get paid the perks. Remember, it was only yesterday gilmore said we are out of the troika in 15 months time, AND we do NOT need a 2nd bailout.

There'll be NOTHING left of an economy in this Godforesaken country by the time these leeches are finished screwing us. NO, for me, it is time to say enough is enough...until THEY start looking at the upper echelons of society & LEADING BY EXAMPLE!!!.

What do you mean if? I thought stopping austerity was guaranteed to bring growth!

Who said that?

Although, even the imf admitted austerity isn't working here.

When I go to work I have to pay for my own transport be it bus, train or my own car.
    Tayto, this abonimable perk is probably only the tip of the iceberg. I honestly have no idea what others there are..

Another thing that bugs the sh1t out of me is I remember kenny saying pre election he will start gettign rid of these quangos. I am having toruble finding out how many have been disbanded since he came to power....I THINK only 40 have gone....40 out of over 8 HUNDRED.

Lies, lies lies...all we get from politicians right across the spectrum is lies:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I agree with you. I know it would'nt really amount to much in a politicians world, but just imagine, for the amount it would save, it would be the equivalent to an average wage earner's pay for over 100 years. Now, imagine if there were no such thing as expenses.:eek:

So, what You saying then? Sit back and take all these extra taxes kenny and gilmore are throwing at us, while they still get paid the perks. Remember, it was only yesterday gilmore said we are out of the troika in 15 months time, AND we do NOT need a 2nd bailout.

There'll be NOTHING left of an economy in this Godforesaken country by the time these leeches are finished screwing us. NO, for me, it is time to say enough is enough...until THEY start looking at the upper echelons of society & LEADING BY EXAMPLE!!!.

I wouldn't disagree with that. But this "stop austerity" is a load of bollox.
    Who said that?

Although, even the imf admitted austerity isn't working here.

no they didn't.

That's wrong.

What is?

What is?

The article.

• Advertisement

The article.

Sigh.

Ok, here's a slightly different one.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/35bn-budget-plan-to-stay-despite-imf-admission-210483.html

The Government will not reduce the planned €3.5bn adjustment in the budget, despite the IMF admitting it underestimated the effects of austerity on economies. Enda Kenny told the Dáil yesterday: "We do not intend to change the ratios or figures we have already set out."

He played down the IMF admission on austerity, instead pointing to other sections in the report about Ireland.

"The IMF report is a global report, and points out one of the few bright spots in global performance has been that of Ireland," said Mr Kenny. "Our growth rate was 1.4% and it is expected to go beyond that next year."

But Independent TD Thomas Pringle, who raised the issue, said the Government’s policies would continue to make things worse.

Mr Kenny and his administration were "slavishly following their austerity programme" when the IMF had admitted it was wrong on the effects of austerity, he said.

"Every €100 taken out of the economy costs up to €150," said Mr Pringle. "In next month’s budget, the Taoiseach intends to take €3.5bn out of the economy again which, according to the IMF, could cost up to €5.2bn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement