Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ghandee wrote: »

Why are you showing me a different from that is simply someone else telling me something that is wrong? It would be far better if you actually linked the report and showed where it says those figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I wouldn't disagree with that. But this "stop austerity" is a load of bollox.

no they didn't.

Chucky, MEEEEEH.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Why are you showing me a different from that is simply someone else telling me something that is wrong? It would be far better if you actually linked the report and showed where it says those figures.

Pdf.do ya?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/1009/ireland/imf-we-got-effect-of-austerity-wrong-210285.html

No doubt you'll admit you're wrong, but I won't hold my breath chucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

That's wrong.
    Intetesting thread in the Irish Economy forum about this, for anyone interested at looking beyond the headlines at some analysis.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056775976

dvpower wrote: »
    Intetesting thread in the Irish Economy forum about this, for anyone interested at looking beyond the headlines at some analysis.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056775976

Very neutral thread I see.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81176761&postcount=20

• Advertisement

That wasn't directed to you.

[...] for anyone interested at looking beyond the headlines at some analysis
    See.

Pdf.do ya?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/1009/ireland/imf-we-got-effect-of-austerity-wrong-210285.html

No doubt you'll admit you're wrong, but I won't hold my breath chucky.

Which page on the pdf? I hope you don't mean the page it displays, because that doesn't mention Ireland anywhere.

That wasn't directed to you.

See.

This is directed at you.

The IMF (not me, not Vincent Brown, not SF etc etc) produced their own report that they got austerity wrong.

Be it here, Greece, Spain wherever, they got it wrong, they completely miscalculated the effects it would have on the economy, admitting that
    The report says the IMF believed that for every €100 of austerity through higher taxes and spending cuts, the effect on economic growth and unemployment would be the equivalent of €50.

But in reality the effect has been between double and three times that — stripping the economy of €90 to €150 for every €100 taken out in budgets agreed with the troika.

You then go on to post a link to a thread that has every consistent defender on these various threads to basically dismiss the IMF's report.

Indeed, one unfortunate poster got three months banning for daring to speak our about the defenders of the bail out/banks and all things govt related.

Facts have been printed, by the very folk who recommended austerity measures be put in place in our country that austerity isn't working, yet these facts get dismissed.

It seems now that even sources and facts aren't good enough for some on this site anymore.

The stench of shills on here is absolutely gut wrenching tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Just seen this post on another forum-thought its worth reposting here, so people can get an idea of what services some are getting for household charges, especially when they were only required to register for a waiver and not actually pay it.
    A few weeks back I posted about my anger that council tenants in my area get a free skip service. As a home owner I don't.

Now they are getting their walls and attics insulated free of charge!!!!!! I can just about afford to feed my family this week and they get services like this for free.

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumThread/141349308/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I wouldn't disagree with that. But this "stop austerity" is a load of bollox.

So, what would You do Chucky? Personally, I don't have an issue with 'austerity', but what I do have an issue with is the ones ( govt) enforcing us with these austerity measures, while they are reading a different book - and let's be honest here, that goes for ALL parties.

Said before and will say again...LEAD BY EXAMPLE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Am Chile wrote: »
    Just seen this post on another forum-thought its worth reposting here, so people can get an idea of what services some are getting for household charges, especially when they were only required to register for a waiver and not actually pay it.

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumThread/141349308/Default.aspx

Arent they tenants of the Local Authority though, so the LA are basically the landlord and should have to provide homes with sufficient insulation to their tenants. As for the skips well that is just ridiculous but then hardly surprising either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

donalg1 wrote: »
    As for the skips well that is just ridiculous but then hardly surprising either.

Yet we are condemned for not providing the funds for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Hijpo wrote: »
    Yet we are condemned for not providing the funds for this

Unfortunately thats how this wonderful little country works. Cut the wages of those employed, cut the incomes of those making a home for themselves without relying on the state and leave those that get everything for nothing alone.

This is directed at you.

The IMF (not me, not Vincent Brown, not SF etc etc) produced their own report that they got austerity wrong.

Be it here, Greece, Spain wherever, they got it wrong, they completely miscalculated the effects it would have on the economy, admitting that

You then go on to post a link to a thread that has every consistent defender on these various threads to basically dismiss the IMF's report.

Indeed, one unfortunate poster got three months banning for daring to speak our about the defenders of the bail out/banks and all things govt related.

Facts have been printed, by the very folk who recommended austerity measures be put in place in our country that austerity isn't working, yet these facts get dismissed.

It seems now that even sources and facts aren't good enough for some on this site anymore.

They never said they got austerity wrong, not sure how you cannot grasp this. Also Spain performed better than the IMF predicted.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    So, what would You do Chucky? Personally, I don't have an issue with 'austerity', but what I do have an issue with is the ones ( govt) enforcing us with these austerity measures, while they are reading a different book - and let's be honest here, that goes for ALL parties.

Said before and will say again...LEAD BY EXAMPLE!

Go out and protest if that's what you want, send emails to the Gov TDs. Problem is this country is protesting about the wrong issues.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately thats how this wonderful little country works. Cut the wages of those employed, cut the incomes of those making a home for themselves without relying on the state and leave those that get everything for nothing alone.

The only way it will change is if the money isnt provided, if the fat cats were taxed more to pay for my skip hire there would be war.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Chucky's right actually. If you go look at the data used by the IMF, you'll see that the multipliers in Ireland's case actually were accurate. The IMF got it wrong with regard to other countries, but they didn't in relation to Ireland.

Chucky's right actually. If you go look at the data used by the IMF, you'll see that the multipliers in Ireland's case actually were accurate. The IMF got it wrong with regard to other countries, but they didn't in relation to Ireland.
    So you mean that the blanket assertion that the 'IMF admitted getting austerity wrong' wasn't exactly accurate and its all a little more complex than that?
    Interesting.

What an ignorant comment.

And on and on and on it goes...............

Hogan today proposes to do a hatchet job on Town councils/cllrs etc.

But STILL nothing being chopped from the td's...They still draw the 12g's to get to 'work' being one. Nah, punish everyone else except themselves.

I am not a violent person, but can see megash1t come the budget.

But STILL nothing being chopped from the td's...They still draw the 12g's to get to 'work' being one. Nah, punish everyone else except themselves.

Waterford has 65 Councillors, along with 5 Mayors and 5 Deputy Mayors, a City Council, County Council, and three Town Councils. Which is a shocking system to have in place and needs serious change. But then hogan will probably try and give kilkenny what waterford had, just like he tried back in 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Letter eventually arrived this morning suggesting I might not have paid.Picked up the local papers & discover that the letters were sent out to those who paid aswell.Seems they don't have a clue who paid & who didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

"Calamity Phil" is back in the headlines, he's on prime time tonight. He seems to think he can introduce these new measures without opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

zerks wrote: »
    Letter eventually arrived this morning suggesting I might not have paid.Picked up the local papers & discover that the letters were sent out to those who paid aswell.Seems they don't have a clue who paid & who didn't.

hi zerks. anything to suggest where they got your name and address. a spelling difference that might be the same as the esb or register(of electors)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I wonder how much will they spend on xmas cards this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I wonder how much will they spend on xmas cards this year?

Phils doing it on the cheap this year, photoshoot with him as the Innkeeper telling travellers there is no room...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Slick50 wrote: »
    "Calamity Phil" is back in the headlines, he's on prime time tonight. He seems to think he can introduce these new measures without opposition.

I predict a lot of trouble ahead for Phil Hogan with these proposed changes. Those councillors won't go without a fight. It seems like Hogan wants to play God with everyone.

Was the letter addressed to you personally or did it read dear householder ?

I predict a lot of trouble ahead for Phil Hogan with these proposed changes. Those councillors won't go without a fight. It seems like Hogan wants to play God with everyone.

Everyone that is Tayto, except the effing td's. I was listening to Mary Wilson this evening, and She interviewed some expert ( his name escapes me, sorry). He pointed out what hogan announced today is only a proposal, and Gormley tried the same back in 2008.

Where is Gormley today? Hopefully hogan will be in exactly the same situation in 4 years - a NOBODY! Cnuts still get their fcuking pensions though:mad::mad::mad:

Hijpo wrote: »
    Waterford has 65 Councillors, along with 5 Mayors and 5 Deputy Mayors, a City Council, County Council, and three Town Councils. Which is a shocking system to have in place and needs serious change. But then hogan will probably try and give kilkenny what waterford had, just like he tried back in 02.

For me, hogan IS on the right track here - overloaded beurocracy. The entire system is wrong. Town 10 kms up the road from me - Naas - what happens there? They have systimatically destroyed a once beautiful vibrant town, have a shopping centre half built, probably the most expensive parking metres outside Stephen's Green shopping centre ( being a bit sarcastic here), probably every 2nd shop up Main Street EMPTY, so yeah fcuk them they screwed the gravy train for long enough. Time they came back to reality.

But, will they go without a 'fight'? And why is flutering phil waiting until 2014?? Why keep wasting the money until then?

Oh, and while these 700 odd to-be-laid-off cllrs are walking to the dole office, hope they bring hogan with them;-)

Mind me asking, what town You are in Zerks? If uncomfortable answering that question, I understand.

• Advertisement

The reason being given for cutting number of councillers and merging councillers is
    cost saving measure-but when one looks at what town councillers and county councillers earn-
    .a town councillor gets €340 per month whilst a county councillor gets in the region of €1600 per month-while council managers earn in excess of over €100.000 +-which they won,t reduce under the croke park agreement-some may conclude
    the real reason they are abolishing the most cost effective the arm of local government (and also the oldest...far older than the state itself) is that they are anticipating serious gains for independent and left wing candidates in the next local elections-thus by cutting number of councillers will block alternative candidates making gains at their expense-just a thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement