Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Everyone that is Tayto, except the effing td's. I was listening to Mary Wilson this evening, and She interviewed some expert ( his name escapes me, sorry). He pointed out what hogan announced today is only a proposal, and Gormley tried the same back in 2008.

Where is Gormley today? Hopefully hogan will be in exactly the same situation in 4 years - a NOBODY! Cnuts still get their fcuking pensions though:mad::mad::mad:

FF probably put the kibosh on Gormley's plans.

It's funny that the don't pay crowd are criticising Big Phil for clearing out the hangers-on - I would have thought they'd like to see the number of Councillors etc reduced. Seems you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Am Chile wrote: »
    The reason being given for cutting number of councillers and merging councillers is
    cost saving measure-but when one looks at what town councillers and county councillers earn-
    .a town councillor gets €340 per month whilst a county councillor gets in the region of €1600 per month-while council managers earn in excess of over €100.000 +-which they won,t reduce under the croke park agreement-some may conclude
    the real reason they are abolishing the most cost effective the arm of local government (and also the oldest...far older than the state itself) is that they are anticipating serious gains for independent and left wing candidates in the next local elections-thus by cutting number of councillers will block alternative candidates making gains at their expense-just a thought.

Moral of the story? DO NOT VOTE FG OR LAB!!! I know I won't be.

It's funny that the don't pay crowd are criticising Big Phil for clearing out the hangers-on - I would have thought they'd like to see the number of Councillors etc reduced. Seems you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Ahem, post #9599;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Moral of the story? DO NOT VOTE FG OR LAB!!! I know I won't be.

And don,t vote for FF either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It really is a shocking state of affairs that we have such a poor choice of parties to vote for. Really disgraceful.

• Advertisement

It really is a shocking state of affairs that we have such a poor choice of parties to vote for. Really disgraceful.

Hear hear Tayto - in total agreement with You on that. Let's see if we can get Mick O'Leary & Gerald Keen to start a political party?:)

On a more serious note, anyone else thinking that not only Reilly but Hogan also going to be hung out to dry come December?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

The idea may be a step in the right direction, but once again doesn't seem to be fully thought through. He is definitely kidding himself if he thinks there won't be any resistance to this, like he told Matt Cooper this evening.

And handing authority back to local councils to set the rate for property tax is a progressive move? But still collect it centrally?

Slick50 wrote: »

And handing authority back to local councils to set the rate for property tax is a progressive move? But still collect it centrally?

Can see MAJOR conflict of interests over this.

Please remember DNC..........this is only a proposal, NOBODY being cleared out.........yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Slick50 wrote: »
    The idea may be a step in the right direction, but once again doesn't seem to be fully thought through. He is definitely kidding himself if he thinks there won't be any resistance to this, like he told Matt Cooper this evening.

The only reason they will give councils control to set property tax rates will be to shift the blame-when people see property tax rates being high-all the government will say is well we didn,t set the rates your local council did to shift the blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

FF probably put the kibosh on Gormley's plans.

Im all for cutting the number of councils, councilors, mayors, deputy mayors and the rest. However there are thoughts of councillors driving from waterford to dungarvan and vise versa for meetings which increases in millage payments, wheres the cost cutting measures gone now?

For a city thats supposed to be a gateway is being shat on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Hijpo wrote: »
    Im all for cutting the number of councils, councilors, mayors, deputy mayors and the rest. However there are thoughts of councillors driving from waterford to dungarvan and vise versa for meetings which increases in millage payments, wheres the cost cutting measures gone now?

For a city thats supposed to be a gateway is being shat on

There are proposals to overhaul the expenses the Councillors will be getting and the allowances they get for attending these meetings also. A saving of €420million cant be bad anyway and if it cuts the number of Councillors well even better as there are way too many as is.

donalg1 wrote: »

There are proposals to overhaul the expenses the Councillors will be getting and the allowances they get for attending these meetings also. A saving of €420million cant be bad anyway and if it cuts the number of Councillors well even better as there are way too many as is.

How the councils even got to those numbers is beyond me.

Hijpo wrote: »
    How the councils even got to those numbers is beyond me.

I know its insane I had a look at the website of a Town Council in my County and saw they have 8 councillors, and this town isnt even that big at all so why they need 8 is beyond me. And apparently town councils dont even have that much power anyway so I also dont see the point in them as authorities. There should be County Councils only and leave it at that, the fat needs to be trimmed and at least this reform seems to be heading in the right direction.

They seem to be giving the LA's more autonomy too by letting them set the property tax rate which is a good thing for us as at least the people setting it are situated locally and have some knowledge of the community and arent sat in an office in Dublin behind a brick wall that you or I cant get over to question them about the rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I got a letter from Kildare Co. Co. personally address to myself and my wife stating that we "may" be liable to pay the household charge and listed our property address.

The kicker in the letter is that is states "If you think you are entitled to a waiver is is essential that you registers by logging on to etc"

The main reason we didn't pay outside the blatantly obvious one is that our estate has not yet been handed over to the council and we as householders have to pay for the local upkeep such as grass cutting and upkeep.

There is a number on the letter to call if you have any queries, what course of action should I take? Ignore the letter or call the number on it stating the reason I won't be paying, but then isn't that confirming I am at the address that they sent the letter too.... Confused.:confused:

Deank wrote: »
    I got a letter from Kildare Co. Co. personally address to myself and my wife stating that we "may" be liable to pay the household charge and listed our property address.

The kicker in the letter is that is states "If you think you are entitled to a waiver is is essential that you registers by logging on to etc"

The main reason we didn't pay outside the blatantly obvious one is that our estate has not yet been handed over to the council and we as householders have to pay for the local upkeep such as grass cutting and upkeep.

There is a number on the letter to call if you have any queries, what course of action should I take? Ignore the letter or call the number on it stating the reason I won't be paying, but then isn't that confirming I am at the address that they sent the letter too.... Confused.:confused:

They dont have a clue who has or hasnt paid as some people that have paid are also getting these letters, I reckon they are casting a net out in the hope of catching some people. They will get people paying as they will now be thinking they have been found but I wouldnt be overly worried about this letter anyway, I would only worry when I got one saying we know you havent paid.

As for your estate being taken over well again even if this does happen they wont be cutting your grass so that excuse wont hold up.

They dont have a clue who has or hasnt paid as some people that have paid are also getting these letters, I reckon they are casting a net out in the hope of catching some people. They will get people paying as they will now be thinking they have been found but I wouldnt be overly worried about this letter anyway, I would only worry when I got one saying we know you havent paid.

As for your estate being taken over well again even if this does happen they wont be cutting your grass so that excuse wont hold up.

They stated on the letter that the amount now due including late payment fees is €127 per property and this will continue to increase each month until the charge is paid.

I was referring to grass cutting of the public areas, Kildare Co. Council do this for all other estates in the area that have been handed over to them.

They stated on the letter that the amount now due including late payment fees is €127 per property and this will continue to increase each month until the charge is paid.

I was referring to grass cutting of the public areas, Kildare Co. Council do this for all other estates in the area that have been handed over to them.

Id be amazed if they do as my LA dont and neither do the majority of them.

Edit

/** A two minute search of Kildare County Council confirmed they dont, here is the link for you

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/TakinginchargeHousingEstatesPolicy/

Go to page 4 of the PDF and look at the last paragraph it continues through to page 5

Id be amazed if they do as my LA dont and neither do the majority of them.

Well the grass cutting aside, I suppose each LA has their own criteria to look after public spaces in estates they've taken over.

Should I just ignore the letter and plead innocence, " Oh sorry I never got that letter" ????

Well the grass cutting aside, I suppose each LA has their own criteria to look after public spaces in estates they've taken over.

Should I just ignore the letter and plead innocence, " Oh sorry I never got that letter" ????

Any taking in charge policies I have seen dont include the upkeep of the green areas in estates including Kildare now. Why so many residents think they do is a mystery, I even had a conversation about it here with a person who was apparently head of his RA and he didnt know this, now him of all people should have known. But again anyone in an estate that is looking to have it taken over by the Council should know exactly what will be done when it is taken over.

As for the letter well its up to you what you do with it, I wont advise you either way, its your money so you are the only one that can decide how to spend it or not spend it.

• Advertisement

Any taking in charge policies I have seen dont include the upkeep of the green areas in estates including Kildare now. Why so many residents think they do is a mystery, I even had a conversation about it here with a person who was apparently head of his RA and he didnt know this, now him of all people should have known. But again anyone in an estate that is looking to have it taken over by the Council should know exactly what will be done when it is taken over.

As for the letter well its up to you what you do with it, I wont advise you either way, its your money so you are the only one that can decide how to spend it or not spend it.

Thanks for the clarification re the green area's, I must have being seeing things during the summer where the LA we cutting the green area's in the estate down the road. Anyway that is not the issue at hand.

Are the letters that the LA's are sending out generic, if so how come the one I got is personalised, where are they getting the information from - the electoral register perhaps?

I think I'll ignore for now, my feeling is once you contact them either by phone or register on the website you are confirming you are resident at said address and they may have more power in pursuing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Anyone been brought to court yet over non payment?

Deank, what part of Kildare are you in? If you prefer not to say publicly I understand.

Thanks for the clarification re the green area's, I must have being seeing things during the summer where the LA we cutting the green area's in the estate down the road. Anyway that is not the issue at hand.

Are the letters that the LA's are sending out generic, if so how come the one I got is personalised, where are they getting the information from - the electoral register perhaps?

I think I'll ignore for now, my feeling is once you contact them either by phone or register on the website you are confirming you are resident at said address and they may have more power in pursuing you.

I am not in Kildare and some people in my county that I know have got these letters I would wager that they are worded almost exactly the same. I too would guess that they are using the electoral register.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Anyone been brought to court yet over non payment?

Deank, what part of Kildare are you in? If you prefer not to say publicly I understand.

I'm near Prosperous / Allenwood, and nobody that I know has yet been taken to court, my worries are that charges will rack up and I'll have to pay a hefty bill.

I'm near Prosperous / Allenwood, and nobody that I know has yet been taken to court, my worries are that charges will rack up and I'll have to pay a hefty bill.

I'm in Kildare also.

Unless you plan to sell your house in the next twelve years, I'd seriously not worry about any letter I get through the door. (including a court threat)

When/if my time ever comes in court, I'll tell the judge I was waiting for the charge to be taken at point of sale.

I think we'll have many changes of govt though before anyone faces court, and by that time, these forums will be full off the 'remember the time they tried to introduce a hhc/property tax threads'

Even FF have joined the anti property tax bandwagon now, and what with labours imminent demise, that leaves FG out in the cold.

If you're (like me) exempt, they're still asking you to register for a 'waiver'.

Register for a waiver lol?

Register to be later screwed more like it. :cool:

I paid the €100 in March to avoid the late fees as I assumed we would all be caught eventually however this is looking less likely as the days go by. I do assume though that the property tax when introduced will have an actual accurate database and would also assume that they will then know who has or hasnt paid the HHC and I imagine they may add this to the first years property tax.

All of the above are assumptions and no doubt wrong based on my previous assumption that they would actively pursue non payers of the hhc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Unless you plan to sell your house in the next twelve years, I'd seriously not worry about any letter I get through the door. (including a court threat)

When/if my time ever comes in court, I'll tell the judge I was waiting for the charge to be taken at point of sale.
    This is terrible legal advise from a person who clearly has no understanding of the relevant legislation.

dvpower wrote: »
    This is terrible legal advise from a person who clearly has no understanding of the relevant legislation.

I didn't make the rules dv.

What happens if I don't pay or don’t pay on time?

An owner of a residential property who does not pay a Household Charge or an instalment thereof by the due date will be subject to (1) LATE PAYMENT FEES and (2) LATE PAYMENT INTEREST

(1) LATE PAYMENT FEES

The late payment fee to apply in the case of a Household Charge paid:

not later than 6 months after the due date, is 10% of the amount outstanding; later than 6 months and not later than 12 months after the due date, is 20% of the amount outstanding; or later than 12 months after the due date, is 30 % of the amount outstanding.

(2) LATE PAYMENT INTEREST

Late payment interest of 1% per month or part thereof will apply to unpaid amounts.
    Furthermore, both the €100 charge and any accumulated late payment fee will be a charge against the property concerned and will continue to be such for twelve years after the charge or late payment penalties concerned became due. Any Household Charges or late payment penalties due on a residential property will have to be discharged, in full, before a transfer or sale of the property can be completed.

https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Essentially you're gambling that the Revenue won't discover your house for 12 years. Given that a house is pretty difficult to hide, I don't like those odds.

• Advertisement

the house is one thing, the people in it is another

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement