Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    What have speeding tickets got to do with the HHC?

Read the legislation and stop asking stupid questions.

Nothing to do with the hhc.

But being summonsed to court for something you didn't receive, ie,a speeding ticket.
    If you stood in front of a judge, and said you never paid the fine because you never received the ticket, how would that go in court?

In other words, if you appeared in front of a court over non payment for something you knew nothing about, his would that pan out do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    In other words, if you appeared in front of a court over non payment you knew nothing about, his would that pan out do you think?
    You would be convicted as per the legislation you obviously haven't read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

In other words, if you appeared in front of a court over non payment for something you knew nothing about, his would that pan out do you think?

You'd be done for perjury given that you obviously have heard of the HHC.

You'd be done for perjury given that you obviously have heard of the HHC.

No, not me. I'm exempt.

Other folk who haven't heard of it (or received an invoice).

How could they party for something they were unaware of?

Remember, this is a court that the prosecution would have to have evidence of proving you were fully aware of.

1. LAs have come up with a list of estates that qualify for a waiver on the basis that they are not ready to be taken into charge. If your estate is on the list, you'll be exempt.

2. And this *should* be taken into account when they roll out the property tax next year. We don't know this for sure though. Come Budget Day we'll find out.

3. And rightly so. This is a charge that you, as a homeowner, are now legally obliged to pay (or at least register for, if you are deemed exempt/waivered). No amount of burying your head in the sand will remove your liability.

What about:

4. "It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

• Advertisement

Remember, this is a court that the prosecution would have to have evidence of proving you were fully aware of.
    Where is the requirement to prove that one was made fully aware of it? This is just wishful thinking on your part.

Where is the requirement to prove that one was made fully aware of it? This is just wishful thinking on your part.

That's why i pointed you towards road traffic offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

What about:

4. "It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" "It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

Yeh but that coward changed his tune quick enough once he got into power, if FF got back in they'd be backtracking on what they said, I'm not a supporter of their policies but i think SF would be the only ones with the balls to kick the whole HHC to touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Deank wrote: »
    Yeh but that coward changed his tune quick enough once he got into power, if FF got back in they'd be backtracking on what they said, I'm not a supporter of their policies but i think SF would be the only ones with the balls to kick the whole HHC to touch.

And replace it with what then?

What about:

4. "It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

Irrelevant now the part in bold above explains why.

• Advertisement

That's why i pointed you towards road traffic offences.
    The Road Traffic Act is a completely different piece of legislation. Why the hell would you point me to it instead of looking at the actual HHC legislation? :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A more accurate analogy would be a self-employed person claiming they hadn't made their income tax return because they hadn't received a notification that it was due.

The Road Traffic Act is a completely different piece of legislation. Why the hell would you point me to it instead of looking at the actual HHC legislation? :confused::confused:

Forget the hhc legislation.

The two scenarios I listed would be the same.

Now DV you're in court next week for not paying that speeding ticket you received in Limerick two weeks ago.

You were unaware you had been speeding, and certainly received no fine.

How would you plead in court?

Honest answer.

donalg1 wrote: »

Time shouldn't change the relevancy of your ethics and moral standards.

Forget the hhc legislation.
    What? :confused: In a discussion about the law on the HHC, you want to forget the HHC legislation and look to road traffic legislation instead!

You're not making any sense at all here.

What? :confused: In a discussion about the law on the HHC, you want to forget the HHC legislation and look to road traffic legislation instead!

You're not making any sense at all here.

Well that didn't answer the question i asked.

Take the twelve year gamble folks.

Time shouldn't change the relevancy of your ethics and moral standards.

You should be able to change your outlook and views in relation to economic policies along with the changing nature of a national economy though.

A more accurate analogy would be a self-employed person claiming they hadn't made their income tax return because they hadn't received a notification that it was due.

But a self employed person would have been made aware of annual tax returns when registering for vat though, so not an accurate comparison at all

But a self employed person would have been made aware of annual tax returns when registering for vat though, so not an accurate comparison at all
    ... and they are told to register for VAT when ....:pac:

... and they are told to register for VAT when ....:pac:

They approach the tax office when they notify them they wish to become self employed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

And replace it with what then?

How about replace it with money withheld from bondholders?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Not everyone who is self-employed has to register for VAT.

Not everyone who is self-employed has to register for VAT.

Well, that's silly.

How do they claim their vat back?

They approach the tax office when they notify them they wish to become self employed?

... and who tells them to notify the Tax Office? They are responsible for doing this themselves.
    Do you now start to understand how the HHC works?

Well, that's silly.

How do they claim their vat back?
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/registration/index.html

The point of the matter is that there are numerous, longstanding taxes, where nobody comes knocking on your door looking for them. Its your responsibility to know that you are liable for them and to pay them.

.Property Tax is unfair and inequitable..” Leaflet from Olivia Mitchell ...

https://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/.../property-tax-is-unfair-...
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    5 Jun 2012 – Another Anti Property Tax leaflet from Fine Gael in the mid 90s, this time from then Councillor and now TD for Dublin South, Olivia Mitchell.

Mick Wallace got away with it.

darkhorse wrote: »
    .Property Tax is unfair and inequitable..” Leaflet from Olivia Mitchell ...

https://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/.../property-tax-is-unfair-...
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    5 Jun 2012 – Another Anti Property Tax leaflet from Fine Gael in the mid 90s, this time from then Councillor and now TD for Dublin South, Olivia Mitchell.

That was over 15 years ago!

• Advertisement

Well that didn't answer the question i asked.

Take the twelve year gamble folks.

They tried to do the same with me before, G, when I was offering a comparison on something. Best to just ignore anything like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement