Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I have to plead ignorance here Ghandee.....who has openly admitted to not paying?

One thing is for sure, THEY will be the first to be prosecuted, otherwise there will be uproar on the streets.

Ming for one.
    Wallace for another, (classic case to 'make an example of')

SF members, ULA members.

Don't know exactly how many, but if the govt wants to 'identify and prosecute' they've a few 'ready to be plucked' in the dail.

They seem to have a reluctance to do so though, and I can't figure out why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

darkhorse wrote: »
    It don't really matter what anyone comes up with as far as you guys are concerned.
    You didn't come up with anything except a lie that Olivia Mitchell published a anti Property Tax leaflet in June 2012.
    Why would anyone take you seriously when you blatantly attempt to propagate lies?

dvpower wrote: »
    You didn't come up with anything except a lie that Olivia Mitchell published a anti Property Tax leaflet in June 2012.
    Why would anyone take you seriously when you blatantly attempt to propagate lies?

FG only got into govt by propagating lies, you don't seem to have a problem with them though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ghandee wrote: »

FG only got into govt by propagating lies, you don't seem to have a problem with them though?

It doesnt matter how much the pros latch onto something to tarnish another posters credibility, i would still take that posters word before any member of the dail.

I don't think I ever expressed support for FG. I support a Property Tax (more a Labour policy really and something that FG are lukewarm on, as darkhorse pointed out).

Anyway, carry on with your many misconceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Really? Well, I checked and double checked and then I checked again. and the leaflet from 1994 is definitely different from the leaflet from 2012. So, I have to tell ya, if there were any lies being propagated, it is not by me.

Really? Well, I checked and double checked and then I checked again. and the leaflet from 1994 is definitely different from the leaflet from 2012. So, I have to tell ya, if there were any lies being propagated, it is not by me.
    OK so. Show us the Olivia Mitchell anti property tax leaflet from June 2012.

OK so. Show us the Olivia Mitchell anti property tax leaflet from June 2012.

“..Property Tax is unfair and inequitable..” Leaflet from Olivia Mitchell -Fine Gael -Dublin South June 5, 2012
    Filed under: Dublin South,Fine Gael — irishelectionliterature @ 8:08 pm
    Tags: Dublin South, Fine Gael, Irish Politics, Olivia Mitchell, Politics, Property tax, Residential Property Tax

i
    Rate This

p-ab3gTb8xb3dLg.gif

Another Anti Property Tax leaflet from Fine Gael in the mid 90s, this time from then Councillor and now TD for Dublin South, Olivia Mitchell.
    The line
    “This is an ill considered tax with no economic or social objective other than revenue raising for the government at the expense of those already struggling to provide for their families.”
    Is as apt today as it was then.
    michellpropertytax1.jpg

^^^
    That's the leaflet from the mid 90s (it says so in the text you posted).

Show me the leaflet from June 2012.

^^^
    That's the leaflet from the mid 90s (it says so in the text you posted).

Show me the leaflet from June 2012.

The date on the heading of the leaflet that I showed you is June 5, 2012.
    ( i dont care what it says in the text)

• Advertisement

The date on the heading of the leaflet that I showed you is June 5, 2012.
    ( i dont care what it says in the text)

Let me get this straight.

You think that the leaflet you linked to (which was published in the mid 90s, when Olivia Mitchell was a councillor) was published in June 2012, because it was posted to the wordpress blog in June 2012.

"http://irishelectionliterature.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/michellpropertytax1.jpg"

Do you honestly think that this was issued by Olivia Mitchell in 2012? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    REALLY Vlad? Who is exempt?
    Your turnover has to be over a certain amount before you are required to register for VAT. I'm not sure of the figure. If you're not registered, you cannot claim VAT back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Nobody goes to jail under the HHC legislation.
    Failure to pay a fine imposed under the Fines Act is a different story altogether. And you certainly can go to jail for contempt of court.
    You can't just choose to ignore court judgments and expect to stay out of jail.

We've covered this ground a number of times on this thread.

Several interviews phil hogan and fergus o dewd and other FG reps were asked will anyone go to jail for any offences related to the household charge,their words not mine-time will tell I guess.

A few number of people I know in my area have received the first letter today-some people have received two letters to their house, one to each partner-a pensioner I know in her late 70s received a letter-she still won,t be paying-I don,t think it will look too good for FG/Lab if a old age pensioner gets fined in court-I still haven,t received my first letter yet.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Yes FF abolished domestic rates for political purposes in the 70's and could attempt it again but then would the Irish people be dumb enough to think that's a good idea based on FF's previous record where economics are concerned.

I for one wouldn't vote for someone who says they are planning on abolishing the property tax without hearing how they plan to make up the deficit left when they abolish them

A new survey has found the following for support for Fianna Fail.
    Fianna
    Fáil is the second most popular party in the country according to a new opinion
    poll - a position it has not held in over two years

All Fianna Fail have to do is continue to oppose property taxes/septic tank charges they will do well in polls,once they pledge to abolish property taxes and issue alternative plans for raising money for local councils, they could be back in power in 2016-I won,t be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    A new survey has found the following for support for Fianna Fail.

All Fianna Fail have to do is continue to oppose property taxes/septic tank charges they will do well in polls,once they pledge to abolish property taxes and issue alternative plans for raising money for local councils, they could be back in power in 2016-I won,t be surprised.

No party has been able to form a government on their own since the 1970's. Which party or parties would you expect to join Fianna Fail in coalition? What is their alternative plan for local government funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No party has been able to form a government on their own since the 1970's. Which party or parties would you expect to join Fianna Fail in coalition? What is their alternative plan for local government funding?

I'd say it will be Sinn Fein as Labour will be wiped out in the next election. I can't see anything else unless a new party is formed. It would be a great time to form one at present. Are you on?

I'd say it will be Sinn Fein as Labour will be wiped out in the next election. I can't see anything else unless a new party is formed. It would be a great time to form one at present. Are you on?

I guarantee you that whatever government is in power we will have a property tax.

SF/FF coalition.

FG lies and broken promises may be coming home to roost.

Wouldn't surprise me, not in the slightest, if they now, in desperation, decide to scrap property taxes.

Wait and see.

I guarantee you that whatever government is in power we will have a property tax.

That's a pretty big guarantee seeing as only fg/lab actually support a property tax now.
    We all know where lab are headed, so that's fg out in the cold.

• Advertisement

In the next general election Im placing my bets labour will lose a lot of seats to Sinn Fein/ Fine Gael will lose a lot of seats to Fianna Fail/ so Il place my bets on a Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein coalation-once they pledge to abolish property taxes they will-cuz they will have seen the consequences FG/Lab will suffer at the next general election.

Am Chile wrote: »
    In the next general election Im placing my bets labour will lose a lot of seats to Sinn Fein/ Fine Gael will lose a lot of seats to Fianna Fail/ so Il place my bets on a Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein coalation-once they pledge to abolish property taxes they will-cuz they will have seen the consequences FG/Lab will suffer at the next general election.

We have local elections next year as the entrée :D

Expect bloody noses.

SF/FF coalition.

They have 34 seats at the moment - it'll take the biggest swing ever.

Not much sign of any drift away from FG Labour in recent polls. In this one they gain 1% overall, FG down 1% Labour up 2%. Sinn Fein are down 4%, Fianna Fail up 4%.

The way FG are performing, not to mention behaving, expect further, further, drop in polls.

Labour are dead in the water afaic, the greens part 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Not much sign of any drift away from FG Labour in recent polls. In this one they gain 1% overall, FG down 1% Labour up 2%. Sinn Fein are down 4%, Fianna Fail up 4%.

Which one DX?

I see from one facebook a counciller in the new ross has gotten a letter-besides TDS pledging they wouldn,t pay a number of councillers countrywide pledged not to pay-if they bring these councillers to court they will be seen as local heros in their areas be seen more re electable come 2014.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=374220035987869&set=a.105550236188185.8401.100001996265842&type=1&theater

Labour are dead in the water afaic, the greens part 2.
    Labour are up in the latest polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

We have local elections next year as the entrée :D

We do ??

Is your "house,a very big house in the country" in a different country perhaps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It won't.
    F.G./Labour just reaped the benefit of an anti F.F. vote. It was not a pro F.G./Labour vote but an anti F.F. one. They were crooked and people were fed up of corruption.
    F.G./Labour just continued the F.F. policies. Their promises turned out to be lies and the people will feel more and more betrayed as austerity bites and the new taxes kick in.
    Don't rule out the F.F. crooks being returned to power at all. Irish people are fickle. F.F. are now talking the talk and if they promise to abandon these new taxes they will win easily. BUT they will have learned and will keep their promise this time otherwise the people will definitely revolt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement