Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

And here we go AGAIN......... http://www.corkman.ie/news/tds-should-give-up-after-three-terms-3259999.html

According to Barry, td's should give up after 3 terms. Hmmmm. so, over 6 terms, we are guaranted 332 td's....................332 pensions.

Is it any wonder we are in the mess we are in when we have td's of the calibre of this? They really are so out of kilter with reality!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    Labour are up in the latest polls.

We have a budget in just oder 60 days, ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

It won't.
    F.G./Labour just reaped the benefit of an anti F.F. vote. It was not a pro F.G./Labour vote but an anti F.F. one. They were crooked and people were fed up of corruption.
    F.G./Labour just continued the F.F. policies. Their promises turned out to be lies and the people will feel more and more betrayed as austerity bites and the new taxes kick in.
    Don't rule out the F.F. crooks being returned to power at all. Irish people are fickle. F.F. are now talking the talk and if they promise to abandon these new taxes they will win easily. BUT they will have learned and will keep their promise this time otherwise the people will definitely revolt.
    Interesting analysis - not reflected in the latest polling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It won't.
    F.G./Labour just reaped the benefit of an anti F.F. vote. It was not a pro F.G./Labour vote but an anti F.F. one. They were crooked and people were fed up of corruption.
    F.G./Labour just continued the F.F. policies. Their promises turned out to be lies and the people will feel more and more betrayed as austerity bites and the new taxes kick in.
    Don't rule out the F.F. crooks being returned to power at all. Irish people are fickle. F.F. are now talking the talk and if they promise to abandon these new taxes they will win easily. BUT they will have learned and will keep their promise this time otherwise the people will definitely revolt.

I'm adding you to the list of spokespersons for the people.

Ghandee wrote: »
    We have a budget in just oder 60 days, ;)

"The revolt is just around the corner"
    I've been hearing that for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Let me get this straight.

You think that the leaflet you linked to (which was published in the mid 90s, when Olivia Mitchell was a councillor) was published in June 2012, because it was posted to the wordpress blog in June 2012.

"http://irishelectionliterature.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/michellpropertytax1.jpg"

Do you honestly think that this was issued by Olivia Mitchell in 2012? Really?

To be honest, I would'nt have thought it, but the date was on the heading and I could'nt argue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Am Chile wrote: »

All Fianna Fail have to do is continue to oppose property taxes/septic tank charges they will do well in polls,once they pledge to abolish property taxes and issue alternative plans for raising money for local councils, they could be back in power in 2016-I won,t be surprised.

While I would tend to agree with Your analysis AM, I think ALL parties should heed the last sentence of this article 'Significantly one third of voters polled said that they were undecided who they would vote for'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

"The revolt is just around the corner"
    I've been hearing that for a while now.

Another protest on the dail earlier today-with all the rumours of medical cards cuts to old age pensioners,cuts to single parents, cuts to welfare, rising taxes, new taxes-there will be protests.

http://www.thejournal.ie/home-help-protest-639595-Oct2012/

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    While I would tend to agree with Your analysis AM, I think ALL parties should heed the last sentence of this article 'Significantly one third of voters polled said that they were undecided who they would vote for'
    Explained in the IT analysis as:
    "but it reflects the fact that the Government is just 18 months into its term and a general election is not regarded as likely for a long time"

Another protest on the dail earlier today-with all the rumours of medical cards cuts to old age pensioners,cuts to single parents, cuts to welfare, rising taxes, new taxes-there will be protests.

http://www.thejournal.ie/home-help-protest-639595-Oct2012/
    There will be further protests. Who knows - maybe the anti HHC campaign can muster a crowd as big as the Quinn family can. One can only dream.

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    To be honest, I would'nt have thought it, but the date was on the heading and I could'nt argue with it.
    You couldn't argue with the date of the blog post when it was perfectly clear to any idiot reading the leaflet that it was from almost two decades ago?

You have an acute case of confirmation bias!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

So if I had a blog and posted a copy of hamlet on it and on top of the blog it had today's date you would assume Shakespeare wrote hamlet today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I see from one facebook a counciller in the new ross has gotten a letter-besides TDS pledging they wouldn,t pay a number of councillers countrywide pledged not to pay-if they bring these councillers to court they will be seen as local heros in their areas be seen more re electable come 2014.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=374220035987869&set=a.105550236188185.8401.100001996265842&type=1&theater

Just having a look at this fella's Facebook page. Which party is this clown a member of?

Just having a look at this fella's Facebook page. Which party is this clown a member of?

To a lot of people it won,t make a difference what party he is a member of- he is taking a stand with ordinary working people-unlike labour sellling out working class voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

donalg1 wrote: »

So if I had a blog and posted a copy of hamlet on it and on top of the blog it had today's date you would assume Shakespeare wrote hamlet today?

Can we get passed an incorrect date? Surely the pro's have something else to comment on. Besides "youll be found and fined in the end" because thats just boring now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I think the point being, that the general consensus is, from the comments on the page that no one is scared of 'court threats'.

In fact, like I've said myself many times, I wish they would pull the fingers out and get started, they know the first guy in court will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Let the govt make good their threats, let a protestor have their day in court.

Why won't they do it? Why?

Hijpo wrote: »

Can we get passed an incorrect date? Surely the pro's have something else to comment on. Besides "youll be found and fined in the end" because thats just boring now.

What date is incorrect? Apparently she said it in June.

Ghandee wrote: »

I think the point being, that the general consensus is, from the comments on the page that no one is scared of 'court threats'.

In fact, like I've said myself many times, I wish they would pull the fingers out and get started, they know the first guy in court will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Let the govt make good their threats, let a protestor have their day in court.

Why won't they do it? Why?

They don't want to do it, they want to give folk as much chance to pay as possible id say or as much chance to rack up the highest possible late fees maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

What have speeding tickets got to do with the HHC?

Read the legislation and stop asking stupid questions.

maybe you should stop preempting how the courts will interpret this legislation... (remember those guys that this government held a referendum interfering with their pay ;))

To a lot of people it won,t make a difference what party he is a member of- he is taking a stand with ordinary working people-unlike labour sellling out working class voters.
    It matters to the people of Wexford, who gave him just 1.2% of the vote last year.
    He lost his deposit.

• Advertisement

Well, I did'nt see the word blog on this leaflet at all, until just now, under all the text, so naturally I assumed it was a new anti-property tax leaflet. Also, Olivia Mitchell's name was on the heading and it was dated 5 June, 2012, which led me to think that it was by Olivia Mitchell on this date. Also, it had a different text from the one I seen in 1994, from F.G.
    By the way, on the hamlet thing, if you are going to go ahead with it, be careful that you don't get done for plagiarism

What date is incorrect? Apparently she said it in June.

So, tell me, would it be beyond the realms of possibility and why would it.

You couldn't argue with the date of the blog post when it was perfectly clear to any idiot reading the leaflet that it was from almost two decades ago?

You have an acute case of confirmation bias!

There was no confirmation bias intended. I read it as I seen it and did'nt see the word blog, even after checking it three times, so if it was an idiotic action not seeing the word blog, well I am guilty. But I am not a liar as I don't feel that I need to lie.

It matters to the people of Wexford, who gave him just 1.2% of the vote last year.
    He lost his deposit.

A lot has changed since last years general election lot of promises broken-I bet on it John will def win a council seat at next local elections-lets see if we can say the same for most Labour councillers.

So, tell me, would it be beyond the realms of possibility and why would it.

No it probably wouldnt be beyond the realms of possibility, but it was beyond the realms of truth and that was the point.

No it probably wouldnt be beyond the realms of possibility, but it was beyond the realms of truth and that was the point.

People would rather make a huge deal about "truth" and screw some random chap to the wall on a message board over a genuine mistake and then over look the governments blatant lies, stroke politics and lack of compassion for the people who work to provide for themselfs.

Its a disturbing thought.

Hijpo wrote: »
    People would rather make a huge deal about "truth" and screw some random chap to the wall on a message board over a genuine mistake and then over look the governments blatant lies, stroke politics and lack of compassion for the people who work to provide for themselfs.

Its a disturbing thought.

Well I wouldnt but I would prefer that in a discussion about a certain topic that the truth is told and stuck to as if we all run around making stuff up then what is the point in having a discussion.

And pointing out someones mistake is hardly overlooking the governments blatant lies now is it, it is simply pointing out a mistake.

Seen these posts on another thread it seems even people who are long deceased are getting warning letters.
    My Grandfather who is dead over twenty years and whose house I knocked down ten years ago got one yesterday....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81303932&postcount=58
    I got 4 letters in the 4 different male names that may have lived at this address. It seems it may have been taken from the electoral register database?

My neighbour got a letter in her dead husbands name, she was so upset all day yesterday. It has just been a long time since she got a letter with his name on it. She also paid.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81307780&postcount=62

Seen these posts on another thread it seems even people who are long deceased are getting warning letters.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81303932&postcount=58

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81307780&postcount=62

I got one yesterday too and I paid it in March or February sometime. I had a line of my address (the Townland) pluralised whereas the electoral register must have it as singular. A two second cross check would have showed them that I had paid already.

• Advertisement

Well I wouldnt but I would prefer that in a discussion about a certain topic that the truth is told and stuck to as if we all run around making stuff up then what is the point in having a discussion.

And pointing out someones mistake is hardly overlooking the governments blatant lies now is it, it is simply pointing out a mistake.

lol

Fact of the matter is, he admitted it was a mix up with dates, therefor he didnt just decide to make it up all by himself. It can easy happen. Point im making is more damaging and blatant lies makes less of an impression on some, obvious evidence of this is the willingness to hand over money to factually known liars without question ;)

and with that, i have nothing left to say on the matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement