Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Hijpo wrote: »
    lol

Fact of the matter is, he admitted it was a mix up with dates, therefor he didnt just decide to make it up all by himself. It can easy happen. Point im making is more damaging and blatant lies makes less of an impression on some, obvious evidence of this is the willingness to hand over money to factually known liars without question ;)

and with that, i have nothing left to say on the matter.

Well thank god for that as I really dont know what the point of your last few posts were other than to try and divert from the fact that one of your pals is making stuff up here.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Just a thought although some letters have gone out to people-some non payers here will prob get letters soon-they seem reluctant so far to go after public reps/tds who publicily declared they wouldn,t pay-one public meeting Martin Ferris addressed earlier this year, on both septic tank/household charges Martin publicily declared I can afford to pay it/but Im not paying it-other reps have made similar statements-why the look the reluctance to go after them thus far.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Just a thought although some letters have gone out to people-some non payers here will prob get letters soon-they seem reluctant so far to go after public reps/tds who publicily declared they wouldn,t pay-one public meeting Martin Ferris addressed earlier this year, on both septic tank/household charges Martin publicily declared I can afford to pay it/but Im not paying it-other reps have made similar statements-why the look the reluctance to go after them thus far.

No point in making a martyr out of a politicial opponent I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Another protest on the dail earlier today-with all the rumours of medical cards cuts to old age pensioners,cuts to single parents, cuts to welfare, rising taxes, new taxes-there will be protests.

http://www.thejournal.ie/home-help-protest-639595-Oct2012/[/QUOTE]

"The HSE has said it wants to cut around €8million from the budget for home help between now and the end of the year,which will be equivalent to around 450,000 hours of service over two and a halfmonths. A further 500,000 home help hours were already cut at the start of theyear".
    Although this appears to be a great savings over a two and a half month period, A.C., I don't think they are looking at this long term. Hopefully nothing will go wrong, but. you know, what they are talking about, if we were to look at this from a humane point of view, is to leave some of the most vunerable people with little or no home assistance whatsoever. But, that is just me, not putting a monetary value above people's health and safety. I guess I would'nt make a good politician. On the other hand, if we did'nt make these cuts, that would mean leaving the banks and bondholders a few million short.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »

No. It's fear and fear alone. They would be lighting the fuse and providing the non-paying public with leadership. The numbers would grow and would lead to confrontation. The already under fire Government do not want that and that is the reason. They know they are in a "no win" situation.

• Advertisement

I got one yesterday too and I paid it in March or February sometime.

You say that you paid it in March or February sometime. Could you be a bit more specific on this, just for the record.

darkhorse wrote: »
    You say that you paid it in March or February sometime. Could you be a bit more specific on this, just for the record.

Why?

No. It's fear and fear alone. They would be lighting the fuse and providing the non-paying public with leadership. The numbers would grow and would lead to confrontation. The already under fire Government do not want that and that is the reason. They know they are in a "no win" situation.

How can the numbers grow, would some that paid get a refund? Anyway I think its clear the Irish people arent ones for sustained mass protests or campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Just seen this on facebook a write off a of €76 million unpaid development levies as bad debt by dublin city council-WTF- while at the same time we keep hearing by FG reps non payment of the household charge is to blame for cutbacks, while at the same they re willing write off €76 million unpaid development levies-different rules for different people.

18 October 2012

Press statement: Campaign Against Household & Water Taxes
    Dublin City Councillors slam Decision by officials to write off €76 million unpaid development levies as bad debt

A group of Dublin City Councillors involved with the Campaign Against the Household and Water Taxes, have slammed a decision by Dublin City Council to make a bad debt provision of over 76 million euro owed to the council by developers as a scandal.

Responding to the announcement, Cllr Cieran Perry said, ‘The revelation that Dublin City Council officials are planning to write off huge amounts of bad debt owed by developers

http://www.facebook.com/NoHouseholdTaxKildare/posts/296555130453830?notif_t=feed_comment_reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Yes. I demand to know when you paid it - was it in the '90s or the '10s? :pac:

• Advertisement

Or, put another way, no point in trying to increase the popularity of a political opponent among nearly half of the electorate(non-payers of the HHC). Would this sound about right.

Or, put another way, no point in trying to increase the popularity of a political opponent among nearly half of the electorate(non-payers of the HHC). Would this sound about right.

Thats putting it the same way.

How can the numbers grow, would some that paid get a refund? Anyway I think its clear the Irish people arent ones for sustained mass protests or campaigns.

Watch this space then donal. If the Govt try to make an example of a T.D. or Councillor things will kick off.If a well known farmer/T.D. was prosecuted for non-payment of the septic tank charge and then jailed for failure to pay the fine you would have thousands on the streets in no time blocking them with farm machinery etc.
    If only a couple of hundred motorists were to stop in O'Connell Street on a Friday morning at 8.30 a.m. and switch off their engines you could stop Dublin getting to work. Others would join in too.
    The Government don't need that.

Watch this space then donal. If the Govt try to make an example of a T.D. or Councillor things will kick off.If a well known farmer/T.D. was prosecuted for non-payment of the septic tank charge and then jailed for failure to pay the fine you would have thousands on the streets in no time blocking them with farm machinery etc.
    If only a couple of hundred motorists were to stop in O'Connell Street on a Friday morning at 8.30 a.m. and switch off their engines you could stop Dublin getting to work. Others would join in too.
    The Government don't need that.

I have been hearing this for months, all I ever seem to hear in here is wait and see, there will be mass protests, yet nothing every comes of these predictions, it is always well if this happens there will definitely be protests.

Watch this space then donal.
    Nothing will happen.
    Others would join in too.
    No, they wouldn't.

Since this thread started almost a year ago, the impending mass revolt has been promised by someone almost every week. Its not going to happen.

Why?

Well, it just that I got the impression that you wanted to be exact on dates. See posts 9776 and 9778.

Well, it just that I got the impression that you wanted to be exact on dates. See posts 9776 and 9778.

Oh I just think there is a big difference between June 2012 and the 1990's or whenever it was. Whereas I said in February or March which is far more accurate. I could have said something else but then I would have just been making stuff up, now its those types of things I have issues with you know yourself when people claim things that simply arent true.

Just seen this on facebook a write off a of €76 million unpaid development levies as bad debt by dublin city council-WTF- while at the same time we keep hearing by FG reps non payment of the household charge is to blame for cutbacks, while at the same they re willing write off €76 million unpaid development levies-different rules for different people.

http://www.facebook.com/NoHouseholdTaxKildare/posts/296555130453830?notif_t=feed_comment_reply[/QUOTE]

And this is only one council. Says it all, dos'nt it.

dvpower wrote: »
    Yes. I demand to know when you paid it - was it in the '90s or the '10s? :pac:

Oh, right ya are, Ted.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ghandee wrote: »
    I think the point being, that the general consensus is, from the comments on the page that no one is scared of 'court threats'.

In fact, like I've said myself many times, I wish they would pull the fingers out and get started, they know the first guy in court will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Let the govt make good their threats, let a protestor have their day in court.

Why won't they do it? Why?

Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0816/household-charge-legal-action.html
    "To be honest, we're not really interested in doing that. We want to provide local services.

"Taking people to court, or prosecuting them, that's not the business we're in. We are in the business of supplying local services to communities."

• Advertisement

Thats putting it the same way.

Actually, no, its not putting it the same way. Because, to be a martyr, one usually has to be dead.

Nothing will happen.

No, they wouldn't.

Since this thread started almost a year ago, the impending mass revolt has been promised by someone almost every week. Its not going to happen.

I predict you will see mass protests in 2014.
    I will eat humble pie if I am wrong but don't think I will be.

Somebody should have told Big Phil that as he is still threatening court action on non-payers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Hence the jumping in blindly scenario springs to mind. They just never thought this through.

On another note altogether, and one which does not affect me, what is the status with the septic tank charge, anyone? And no, I;m not stirrign sh1t, I honestly haven't a clue, just interested to know where kenny and his gang are chasing this charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So they won't take anyone to court now regardless if they pay or don't pay?

Further reason not to pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Meanwhile....

FG insist they're paying bondholders on instruction by the troika.

But the troika say that the only people who insisted bondholders be repaid was the previous govt.

FG really are being exposed as being as corrupt as the last crowd.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81313345&postcount=123

Could someone kindly explain the agenda behind repaying them, though not required to do so after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I have been hearing this for months, all I ever seem to hear in here is wait and see, there will be mass protests, yet nothing every comes of these predictions, it is always well if this happens there will definitely be protests.

Has something warranted mass protests yet?

If a home owner gets brought before a court and a TD doesnt i would demand to know what criteria they used to select the home owner that a TD or anyone of significance hasnt met.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

So have the Pro sides compliance figures, every time the months passed they just extended there forcast.

So have the Pro sides compliance figures, every time the months passed they just extended there forcast.
    Specifically what forecasts are you referring to?

• Advertisement

If a home owner gets brought before a court and a TD doesnt i would demand to know what criteria they used to select the home owner that a TD or anyone of significance hasnt met.
    Yeah - but you'll only demand to know on an internet thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement