Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lugha wrote: »
    House hold charge? There'll be a lad (in a blue shirt likely) with a clipboard calling to your home looking for 100 notes in the next couple of months. You need to assembled your house hold and lead them in a charge down your path to drive him away! :pac:

I'd bring him in and give him a hand to look for the 100e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

smash wrote: »
    Is there anyone else who hasn't paid that has received no form of notification or information at all by post?

Any post I've received to do with the household charge has been from the don't pay camp.

Have not recieved anything, nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I'd bring him in and give him a hand to look for the 100e.

I would also let them in but then immediately beat the $hit out of him with my keyboard under the new home invaders law.

at the same time I will rustle through his wallet looking for €100 which I will then spend on coke & hookers.

muhhaahhahaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I would also let them in but then immediately beat the $hit out of him with my keyboard under the new home invaders law.

A true keyboard warrior:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Freddie59 wrote: »
    *Sigh*. Would it be too much to ask for a unified compter system across all Government Departments (without the usual incompetence) with everyone's details on it? So that, say, if someone DIES a little box will flash onscreen to tell you so.

You're suggesting a national database that combines the HSE and Social Welfare. It's a good idea but there are many who object to that kind of data being held centrally.

By the way, you don't have to add the sigh to your post. You condescention comes across just fine without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

MagicSean wrote: »
    You're suggesting a national database that combines the HSE and Social Welfare. It's a good idea but there are many who object to that kind of data being held centrally.

By the way, you don't have to add the sigh to your post. You condescention comes across just fine without it.

Sean, we're talking abut someone bereaved. At least show a little compassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

FFS.:mad:

I find that funny tbh, he is such an idiot, people skills are not his Thing. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Phil says "relax".
    Shatter says "Get a life"
    Kenny says "don't kick Europe in the face".

What's next......... Varakar with "Am I bovvered.

Backwards we are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

mikom wrote: »
    Phil says "relax".
    Shatter says "Get a life"
    Kenny says "don't kick Europe in the face".

What's next......... Varakar with "Am I bovvered.

Backwards we are going.
    Not in the polls they are not. :pac:

Unfortunately. Makes me wonder how people can be so stupid really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Poll tax ?

Unfortunately. Makes me wonder how people can be so stupid really.
    I have to admit I am surprised myself. I don't think there is anything like the level of opposition to the house hold charge that the no side make out, but there certainly is some and you would have thought enough to make a dent in their support. Perhaps they being up is down to the effect Mahon is having on FF?

I have to admit I am surprised myself. I don't think there is anything like the level of opposition to the house hold charge that the no side make out, but there certainly is some and you would have thought enough to make a dent in their support. Perhaps they being up is down to the effect Mahon is having on FF?
    Possibly. I do suspect the level of opposition is overexaggerated, but it's hard to knwo really.

hondasam wrote: »

I heard that a few hours ago alright. He dousnt need to know how to deal with people, they can say and do what they like. He is just detached from the realities most people are facing.

Possibly. I do suspect the level of opposition is overexaggerated, but it's hard to knwo really.

Why did half not pay by the deadline then? And its hard to imagine all who payed didnt have opposition to it.

There is an upside for you Freddie, if the government do come through this scarp largely unscathed. There may be some chance they will take on the much bigger challenge of dealing with the PS.
    They may not of course, but if they got badly beaten up over a paltry €160 M you can be fairly sure they would not be in any rush in going toe to toe with the far bigger bruisers that are the public sector unions. Every cloud and all that. :)

davet82 wrote: »
    whats all this i hear about a house hold charge?

Its a new tax you have to pay for being wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

1.8 million house. 805,000 paid. Your right it's no exaggeration.

• Advertisement

I wonder if we get the same service as we get with the tax we pay on debit and credit cards.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    1.8 million house. 805,000 paid. Your right it's no exaggeration.
    Well your numbers are debatable. But certainly, of the order of half, give or take, have not yet paid. Your error is to assume that that those that did not are ALL fundamentally opposed to this charge.

Some no doubt are. But there another reasons why people may not have paid yet. I think we will have to wait until we see how many pay eventually to see how many "absolute nos" there are.

Well your numbers are debatable. But certainly, of the order of half, give or take, have not yet paid. Your error is to assume that that those that did not are ALL fundamentally opposed to this charge.

Some no doubt are. But there another reasons why people may not have paid yet. I think we will have to wait until we see how many pay eventually to see how many "absolute nos" there are.

Your error is to believe that those who have paid also agree with the tax. I know many who have paid but don't agree with it.

Your error maybe in believing all who pay are not opposed.

They needed to not pay to really protest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

all numbers surrounding this debacle are dubious, no one knows the accurate figures yet, but if you go by monies collected by last sat 62m or so, and the goal of 160m theres a big gap.

Very few people have a real interest in politics. They find them all the same i.e. corrupt and there to feather their own nests.
    When we got rid of Fianna Fail and thought we voted for change we got Fianna Fail Mk 2. No change at all. It has little to do with the Household Charge at all. People are just fed up of corruption and have little faith in any party.
    The political parties are power hungry and as soon as they are elected they drop the things they promised to do. Just look at Labour and what they are doing now. When in opposition they would swear they would object to what's happening now but now they are in and are power hungry so they forget their principles. They could go the same way as The Greens and the P.D.'s before them.
    In reality F.G are staying put in the polls because there is no opposition and people have no faith in the system. It's no big deal really.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Your error is to believe that those who have paid also agree with the tax. I know many who have paid but don't agree with it.
    No I don't assume that all payees were thrilled to pay it. But you have to be a bit more precise about what you mean by "agree".

How many people pay for TV licences, or VAT on products, or various taxes of one kind of another but do not "agree" with them and would certainly not pay them, if they had a choice?

I only really count in the no gang those who think that in principle, it is fundamentally wrong to levy this charge and not those that simply don't like or "agree" with it. Contrary to the amusing suggestions to the contrary from the "no" side, noone actually likes to pay tax or charges. And I don't think there are to many "nos" by that definition.

I cannot recall in recent years the same level of arrogance that we have seen with Hogan, Shatter, Creighton, Varadkar and Noonan. In fairness to Kenny he is not in the same league as those guys.

Very few people have a real interest in politics. They find them all the same i.e. corrupt and there to feather their own nests.
    When we got rid of Fianna Fail and thought we voted for change we got Fianna Fail Mk 2. No change at all. It has little to do with the Household Charge at all. People are just fed up of corruption .......
    Corruption? Can you cite incidents of corruption as they pertain to the current government?

• Advertisement

Corruption? Can you cite incidents of corruption as they pertain to the current government?

Many people believe that making promises to get votes and then breaking them as soon as you are in is corruption. Me included. I think lying is corrupt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement