Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Indeed, and public policy should not be designed around trying not to antagonise them.

Public policy should be designed around fairness to all and not around discriminating against people just because they own their own homes.

I'll ask again, why should only people who own their homes have to pay for the services used by everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Given that even the most vehement anti household charge protestors probably accept that some form of revenue raising is required, what is the preference?

They are really only 2 choices, consumption taxes or income taxes.

Which is the household charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Public policy should be designed around fairness to all and not around discriminating against people just because they own their own homes.

I'll ask again, why should only people who own their homes have to pay for the services used by everyone?

It's nothing to do with local services.

It's everything to do with balancing the budget.

Goverenment have shot themselves in the foot with their attempt to link the payment to services. I could have told them the problems which would arise trying to sell this message, and I'm a lot cheaper than their advisors.

mikom wrote: »
    Which is the household charge?

The advantage of it is, that it's neither.

You were all for good manners the other day. Do you not think it would be polite to allow a visitor to introduce themselves before killing them?

It really looks like the pro-tax brigade are the most disingenuous people on the planet.

I simply made the point that................................. ah, forget it!

BTW dx, there's a better chance of what I said happening in your neck of the woods, than mine!

• Advertisement

The advantage of it is, that it's neither.

So, not related to consumption or income?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Given that even the most vehement anti household charge protestors probably accept that some form of revenue raising is required, what is the preference?

They are really only 2 choices, consumption taxes or income taxes.

take your pick Francis, either suits me. my real preference, though, would be for all the waste to stop and the gravy train to pull up dead on the track;)

So, not related to consumption or income?

Were you planning on answering the original question or asking the same one over again?

Were you planning on answering the original question or asking the same one over again?

Is the household charge related to consumption or income?

Goverenment have shot themselves in the foot with their attempt to link the payment to services. I could have told them the problems which would arise trying to sell this message, and I'm a lot cheaper than their advisors.

How come then that most of the arguments from the pro side have been about local services etc etc.

Thing is, even if they collect 10 times what their demanding this year, it still won't balance the budget.

Lying to the people won't do FG/Labour any good, we had enough of that with the last shower.

• Advertisement

Is the household charge related to consumption or income?

What do you think Mikom?

How come then that most of the arguments from the pro side have been about local services etc etc.

Thing is, even if they collect 10 times what their demanding this year, it still won't balance the budget.

Lying to the people won't do FG/Labour any good, we had enough of that with the last shower.

Don't know, I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself, and of course a property charge in isolation is not a panacea for our countries problems. It is I believe though, one of the necessary measures which need to be taken.

What do you think Mikom?

If it is not income related then how come the supposed "low income" county council/corporation occupants get a free pass.

How should I pay for my household charge.......... if not from my income.
    Pluck some fivers from my money tree perhaps......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

lugha wrote: »

But because you have issues with the minor details of how a democratically elected government raises revenue for a state, I don’t think so.

Where would you draw the line?

we have no street lighting or playground or library.....people in council estates do-wheres the fairness?

people in ireland have finally said enough-we've been sheepish idiots for too long-every banker, developer and corrupt official in the land walking free and us muppets taking the fall for them.
    their mess-our problem-f*ck that
    i will never ever pay the household charge-its the principal more than the cost. its for NOTHING just government sayin we need more money and makin up excuses for what the 100euros is for.
    every other country that pays property tax knows WHAT they are paying for.

STOP TAKING IT UP THE ASS from the govt people!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So you admit that people will not get any services for their money ?

Don't know, I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself, and of course a property charge in isolation is not a panacea for our countries problems. It is I believe though, one of the necessary measures which need to be taken.

Maybe a fair property charge, one which everyone should pay and not just one section of the population and maybe in a few years time when the country is back on it's feet. Maybe, just maybe!

If it is not income related then how come the supposed "low income" county council/corporation occupants get a free pass.

How should I pay for my household charge.......... if not from my income.
    Pluck some fivers from my money tree perhaps......

It's not a direct tax on your income, therefore not an income tax.

Ultimately you pay for everything out of your income, so I'm not sure what your point is. The main problem with an direct income tax, is that it dis-incentivises people to work, which is that last thing this country needs right now.

So you admit that people will not get any services for their money ?

Admit?

You really should pay more attention to my posts Tayto, I never once claimed this to be the case.

Ultimately you pay for everything out of your income, so I'm not sure what your point is. The main problem with an direct income tax, is that it dis-incentivises people to work, which is that last thing this country needs right now.

Anddddddddddd back to question 1.
    Surely a free pass for those in county council/corporation houses dis-incentivises people to work.

One or the other.
    You can't have it both ways.

Surely a free pass for those in county council/corporation houses dis-incentivises people to work.

One or the other.

You've hit the nail on the head there milkom, nail on the head!

• Advertisement

One or the other.

How so? Do you get kicked out of your Council house if you get a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

One or the other.

People in LA housing have jobs too. I do agree they should be made pay an equivalent charge though, the exemptions annoyed me more than paying the charge did.

If I had my way I would make all LA tenants pay and scrap every other exemption and then consider allowing OAP's to be exempt

No, you get to stay there but you still don't have to pay a discriminatory tax.

donalg1 wrote: »
    People in LA housing have jobs too. I do agree they should be made pay an equivalent charge though, the exemptions annoyed me more than paying the charge did.

If I had my way I would make all LA tenants pay and scrap every other exemption and then consider allowing OAP's to be exempt

Jesus Donal, we agree on something.....

No, you get to stay there but you still don't have to pay a discriminatory tax.

And how is this a dis-incentive against working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

very smart-i dont know where you're living but i would guess 80% of the council estate occupants in ireland are unemployed and not working because they have more money being at home

Do you get kicked out if you stay on the dole?
    Do you pay the household charge if you stay perpetually on the dole in your Council house.
    Shur why would you bother.
    You see how this works............ the whole dis-incentive to work thing

Seems the government have not thought this through.
    Shame on them.

So someone who lives in a council house, pays a small amount of rent and has a decent enough job should be subsidised even more by someone in a similar job who just happens to own their home?

agree with everything except this.
    OAP's have been protected enough in past budgets. They bear as much responsibility for our current situation as any of us. Arguably they bear more responsibility than other demographics, as they generally voted for FF, who bought them with a series of generous budgets.

I would accept that there should be a mechanism whereby OAP's on low income could apply for a waiver, but there is plenty of untapped tax money we should be getting from well-off OAP's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

So someone who lives in a council house, pays a small amount of rent and has a decent enough job should be subsidised even more by someone in a similar job who just happens to own their home?

Social housing tenants probably avail of these services more than anyone else too yet are exempt. Ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement