Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yep,you are right,you know everything about the future,you even know what happanes to me in the future too.

Are you the terminator by any chance??

Tell me,whats its like in the year 2015???

He's great, isn't he.
    Why can't we all be like alistair....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Roverek

alastair wrote: »
    You'll pay up when the demand comes through with late penalties attached. Or you'll delude yourself further that you don't have to pay, and you'll build up additional fines. You'll pay up in the end when they take it from you, or reality sinks in. The shaking in your shoes is purely optional.
    You are like a broken record. Scarie tactics does not work.Can you see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

dvpower wrote: »
    There is nothing in the Household Charge legislation that allows for automatic attachment orders, but, as I understand it, anyone prosecuted for non registration can be fined and have an attachment order made against them, for the payment of that fine, by a court, under the Fines Act 2010 (linky)
    You are correct but not new legislation, an amendment to the Fines Act of 2010. It's surprising that it wasn't included originally.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/home-charge-fines-will-be-taken-from-pay-182712.html

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=can%20fines%20be%20taken%20form%20wages%20ire&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CFoQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnewspaper%2Fireland%2F2012%2F0308%2F1224313004730.html&ei=I2N3T-DRBYyzhAeVwO2ODQ&usg=AFQjCNHZUg2tsuO55p-ZxOzSwMaJbZz6Yw

I would not be expecting this to be implemented just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You'll pay up when the demand comes through with late penalties attached. Or you'll delude yourself further that you don't have to pay, and you'll build up additional fines. You'll pay up in the end when they take it from you, or reality sinks in. The shaking in your shoes is purely optional.

Why can you not accept that when people say the will not pay, they will notpay?
    Some people, non cowardly, people who truly believe in something, and will stick by their beliefs no matter what, over 60% of the population have rejected the hhc, but you still claim these folk are wrong, and your right?

Give it up now Comical Ali.
    You put up a good fight, close but no cigar.

I wonder in the history of a Boards poll has there ever been one that reflects the real world? This one is shaping up to be way off kilter with reality as well.

Your prediction of 58% compliance was way off kilter also.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

That probably is true. But I'm not paying yet. Maybe in a few months or a year if they have started to pester me (the fines are really not that severe). If it takes a year for them to get, say, 90% of people to register, that is a years delay on the imposition of the full tax. If everyone paid today, I have no doubt we would have that new tax imposed within a year. So I am doing my bit to make the governments attempt to tax the country into oblivion a little more difficult than they had hoped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Proper little dictatorship we're turning into now, aren't we?
    The current government are only a year in power, after having been elected with a huge majority. All of the polling shows that they still enjoy high levels of popularity.

At some point, you are going to have to accept what is becoming increasingly clear - even with its unpopularity, this tax isn't going to be defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Roverek wrote: »
    You are like a broken record. Scarie tactics does not work.Can you see it?

I doubt anyone is scared, but the reality is that non-payers will be fined, and obliged to pay in the final analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just watching the news on RTE,those they filmed paying were all pensioners.

Sickened by Phil Hogan thanking those who payed for their "patriotism".Yeah,very patriotic having our money handed over to bondholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The current government are only a year in power, after having been elected with a huge majority. All of the polling shows that they still enjoy high levels of popularity.

At some point, you are going to have to accept what is becoming increasingly clear - even with its unpopularity, this tax isn't going to be defeated.

"We've always been at war with Eastasia"

How do you expect it to play out?

I have no idea tbh but I would imagine they will give people another chance to pay before giving out fines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

zerks wrote: »
    Just watching the news on RTE,those they filmed paying were all pensioners.

Sickened by Phil Hogan thanking those who payed for their "patriotism".Yeah,very patriotic having our money handed over to bondholders.

So the rebels who fought for and won this countries independence where and are patriots.:)

But the modern day peacefull protesting/non complient rebels are not patriots.

Nice one Phil.

Foot...mouth,yet again.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ghandee wrote: »
    Why can you not accept that when people say the will not pay, they will not?

Your prediction of 58% compliance was way off kilter also.

That is all.

What do you mean Was? The final figure will be available only when payments posted today and in the last few days are all delivered and recorded. These payments are quite properly deemed to be within time. Anyway what is the latest figure I was out most of the day?

And thanks for having an especial interest in how my prediction pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

:mad:Just watching the 9 'Clock news?

So, Hogan, You say people are showing their patriotism by paying the HT?

What utter sh1te. I'm as patriotic an Irishman as anyone, but I am ficked if I am paying a charge when
    a) I am self employed and have to pay PAYE while I get SFA in return if I go bust
    b) I live in an estate where the developer went bust 2 weeks but the effing CC didn't know until our Resident's Assoc. told them????? And in our estate there are houses looking out onto a derelict field which has UNSAFE fencing around it, AND concrete based foundations dug for some of the 50 houses the site is prepared for, AND a GAP in the fencing also. But the DOE decided that we MUST PAY. And when we enquire we are told we MUST pay this year and can seek a 'review' next year?

NO FUC*ING WAY JOSE!

Oh and as an aside ( though not related to the HT). Watched that Kenny speech. All well and good kissing asses in China, and we have ( supposedly) 50k Chinese here, but NO AIR LINK!!!

Lock me up if You want but I am damned if I am paying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭emo72

I doubt anyone is scared, but the reality is that non-payers will be fined, and obliged to pay in the final analysis.

they tried to introduce a water tax over 10 years ago. it was scrapped. i told you this earlier. massive non payment.

why are you so adamant that it cant happen again? absolutely no doubt in your mind? i could never be so convinced about anything. i admire the strength of your convictions. i have never encountered a person who was as sure as you.

i salute you.

So the rebels who fought for and won this countries independence where and are patriots.:)

But the modern day peacefull protesting rebels are not patriots.

Nice one Phil.

Foot...mouth,yet again.:rolleyes:

You're exactly like the revolutionaries of 1916, aren't you? What with the empty rhetoric on an internet forum and all.

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what that software system is, but its not necessary for attachment orders.
    Attachment orders are currently used on a routine and widespread basis in this country. The Revenue Commissioners have direct powers, that they use on a day to day basis, for the Collector General's office to apply attachment orders, on the instruction of a Principal Officer.

Nobody needs to go to jail. Anyone who finds themselves in front of a court will pay the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

steve9859 wrote: »
    That probably is true. But I'm not paying yet. Maybe in a few months or a year if they have started to pester me (the fines are really not that severe). If it takes a year for them to get, say, 90% of people to register, that is a years delay on the imposition of the full tax. If everyone paid today, I have no doubt we would have that new tax imposed within a year. So I am doing my bit to make the governments attempt to tax the country into oblivion a little more difficult than they had hoped.

not sure what you mean, they've already committed to replacing the household charge with a property tax.

emo72 wrote: »
    i have never encountered a person who was as sure as you.

i salute you.

But hes the terminator,he came back from the future and knows everything about all us mere mortal humans and what we all will do too.

they tried to introduce a water tax over 10 years ago. it was scrapped. i told you this earlier. massive non payment.

Is this the one where people paid and were not refunded the money?

why are you so adamant that it cant happen again? absolutely no doubt in your mind? i could never be so convinced about anything. i admire the strength of your convictions. i have never encountered a person who was as sure as you.

i salute you.

Thanks. Yes - I'm extremely confident on this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

not sure what you mean, they've already committed to replacing the household charge with a property tax.

But they wont until they have enough people registered. That's the point of this initial registration process.

It will happen, I have no doubt. I'm just talking about delaying it for as long as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

What do you mean Was? The final figure will be available only when payments posted today and in the last few days are all delivered and recorded. These payments are quite properly deemed to be within time. Anyway what is the latest figure I was out most of the day?

776000 is the latest figure reported on RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭emo72

Is this the one where people paid and were not refunded the money?

yes.

I have no idea tbh but I would imagine they will give people another chance to pay before giving out fines.
    Anyone can go on to the website on Sunday morning and beyond and pay the charge. The interest and penalties will be €11 I think.

You're exactly like the revolutionaries of 1916, aren't you? What with the empty rhetoric on an internet forum and all.

By saying NO and standing up for what I believe in,Im doing my part as a patriot.

Being a patriot and being patriotic to my country doesnt need to involve actual physical fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Your very welcome. ;)

steve9859 wrote: »
    But they wont until they have enough people registered. That's the point of this initial registration process.

It will happen, I have no doubt. I'm just talking about delaying it for as long as possible

Self registration isn't the only registration game in town. They're compiling an up-to-date database in parallel to this. Given the Deed of Sale and Stamp Duty databases, this won't be rocket science.

I'm not quite sure what that software system is, but its not necessary for attachment orders.
    Attachment orders are currently used on a routine and widespread basis in this country. The Revenue Commissioners have direct powers, that they use on a day to day basis, for the Collector General's office to apply attachment orders, on the instruction of a Principal Officer.

Nobody needs to go to jail. Anyone who finds themselves in front of a court will pay the fine.

Did you read the link? This system is needed to take money from wages and social welfare payments.
    If they could do with via the tax office there would be no need for this expensive system.
    ''Mr Shatter said he was putting the system for attachment orders in place even though the legislation for such fines was not yet published. There was “no sense” in installing the partial fines software and having to revisit it for attachment orders. If it was not in operation by autumn it would be in place by the end of the year, he added''

Did you miss this piece?

By saying NO and standing up for what I believe in,Im doing my part as a patriot.

Being a patriot and being patriotic to my country doesnt need to involve actual physical fighting.

or much in the way of awareness either. it seems.

• Advertisement

If the 'Don't Register, Don't Pay' campaign were anything like the revolutionaries of 1916, they would be having a 'Do Register, Don't Pay' campaign and standing up, not hiding away in the hope that the government don't catch up to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement