Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Inde Kinny hadn't already told us it was an unfair charge;
    If I got some services in return for it;

Mostly, I would pay it the politicians who proposed it decided that they weren't better than the average worker. Measures to prove this would be:
    repeal of travelling allowances and distribution of fuel cards. Car odometers to be checked once a year or before they are sold to validate claims.
    End of junkets. What the f*ck does some retard county councillor know about sewage systems. If you want a sewage system upgraded/renewed, send the county engineer to view systems that may be appropriate, not a f*ckwit with egg on his tie.
    Overnight stay allowance of 50 euro for those more than 120 miles from the dail. Receipts required.
    Pay for your own food. We do.
    Pay for your own toll charges. We do.
    We know you don't know how to work the iPad and that you wouldn't have one if we weren't paying for it, so no iPads.
    Buy your own phone, you would if you weren't an elected representative.
    amonst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Who is Inde Kenny and why should I listen to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Who is Inde Kenny and why should I listen to him?
    Kinny.
    and you shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Buy your own phone, you would if you weren't an elected representative.
    amonst other things.

Inda seems to have offered quite a saving in that area. He's been using the same ratty nokia for donkey's years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    Inda seems to have offered quite a saving in that area. He's been using the same ratty nokia for donkey's years.

Fish hooked.
    I have some land to sell you when the tide goes out if you believe those optics.
    He has had a smart phone as well for a number of years.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Fish hooked.
    I have some land to sell you when the tide goes out if you believe those optics.

Those 'optics'? Has he had the same old phone for years or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Has he had the same old phone for years or not?

Why cant he just use his hidden mic and earpiece?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJ_7SqKxGI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

dvpower wrote: »
    Are you not able to look it up yourself?

You could post the answer here when you find out.

56%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The number of house liable for the charge are getting lower every day. What a fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The number of house liable for the charge are getting lower every day. What a fiasco.
    Lucky we have the interest and penalty payments to make up the shortfall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

i don't know why everyone latches onto this like it's some big deal. It was already well known that we didn't have a proper database. That's the reason for self registration. Maybe if post codes had already been introduced we might have a better idea but as it stands all we have is the census.

Worth noting that even with the frankly ludicrous notion of 1.8 million liable payers, we've passed the ONE MILLION (puts little finger to mouth) unpaid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

The number of households are being spun as lower to make it appear the majority have paid- when in fact its the other way around.

http://irelandafternama.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/household-charge-numbers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Is there any posters on here from galway? it appears a majoirty in Galway hasn,t paid.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Is there any posters on here from galway? it appears a majoirty in Galway hasn,t paid.

I thought your premis was that this was the case nationally? :rolleyes:

The number of households are being spun as lower to make it appear the majority have paid- when in fact its the other way around.

You do realise that even by those calculations, a majority have paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

Yep, I am from Galway. Speaking to a lot of people at work and roughly one quarter of them have paid the bankers. The majority of us have not and will not pay. I work in a multinational company so there is a huge demographic of people.

You do realise that even by those calculations, a majority have paid?
    How do you get that the majority have paid from that? Last line 54.84% have not paid.

Sionach wrote: »
    I work in a multinational company so there is a huge demographic of people.

...but obviously one that doesn't reflect the actual national position.

My better half met an OAP on the luas the other day, who had paid the charge, but told her mates that she hadn't, because she was worried about what they would think. Makes you wonder about the 'scaremongering' accusations being thrown about.

How do you get that the majority have paid from that? Last line 54.84% have not paid.

Simple calculation. Try it yourself.

Households liable to pay (according to that link): 1.72 million
    Actual payments received so far (880,433 minus waiver registrations): 866,600
    Outstanding household payments: 853,400

• Advertisement

Simple calculation. Try it yourself.
    Ok let not paid =54.84. Let paid =43.16.
    54.84-45.16 = 9.86. There for 9.86% more have not paid.

How did your calculation work out?

My better half met an OAP on the luas the other day, who had paid the charge, but told her mates that she hadn't, because she was worried about what they would think. Makes you wonder about the 'scaremongering' accusations being thrown about.
    I think we are going to end up with a Thomand Park 78 scenario where we’ll end up with a few thousand who actually did refuse to pay and a few hundred thousand who say they didn’t! :)

Ok let not paid =54.84. Let paid =43.16.
    54.84-45.16 = 9.86. There for 9.86% more have not paid.

The document referenced is a couple of days old. Quite a few (48,000 I think) paid or registered in the last day alone.

Edit: Actually link says "processed", so maybe not.

One more time for luck.

One more time for luck.

I see your MO hasn't altered. One can only assume your working for the department responsible for collecting the charge.

I see your MO hasn't altered.

Dealing with the facts? No. A majority have paid - deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Next year a lot of those who'd paid this will have died from old age,what will the figures look like then I wonder?

Very easy to bump up the figures by scaring the elderly into paying.:rolleyes:

Dealing with the facts? No. A majority have paid - deal with it.

You don't deal with facts. You deal with misinformation on a platform constructed of hypocrisy, ie your failure to pay the Poll Tax and then telling people they should put another €100 of their money into a broken system of waste and corruption.

One more time for luck.

From that link: Households paid, minus the 12,500 who have registered but qualify for the waiver 621,717 (already processed) +89,000 (by post awaiting processing) + 82,175 (registered in local authority offices yesterday) = 792,892 The percentage of those paid, based on those figures = 45.16% (54.84% left to pay)

• Advertisement

You don't deal with facts. You deal with misinformation on a platform constructed of hypocrisy, ie your failure to pay the Poll Tax and then telling people they should put another €100 of their money into a broken system of waste and corruption.

Care to outline where my figures are wrong then? Or would you rather continue to harp on about my poll tax boycott, which has nothing to do with this charge, and involves no hypocrisy whatsoever (apples and oranges).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement