Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    Educate yourself. 100% goes to the local authorities. It's the law, as defined by the household charge act.

" It's the way you tell them " Asastair.
    Law and Politics do not mix well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    And as for the road tax, did you not know what the poster meant? Or was it just your usual smart arse postings, mr spell check?

I had a notion he meant motor tax alright - but since that's got no specific connection with road funding, it's a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You do have roads, leading to bigger roads, street lighting, pavements in your local towns, etc, yeah? It's not Mars you're living on, is it?
    Around my way the roads are just like i'd imagine Mars is.

Very few paid in Cavan, Monaghan, Louth and Donegal. So its not just Galway.

Given that a majority have paid - there must be some serious sign-ups elsewhere then! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Now that there is over 50% compliance on the Household Charge, isn't it time for everyone to accept that the tax isn't going to be defeated and that resistance is futile?

A campaign against it only made sense when there was a chance of defeating it, but wouldn't the energies of the anti charge people now be better spent on the next battle - whatever that might be?
    We imagine that the Minister for the Environment, Phil Hogan, is feeling pretty smug today as yet another €412,000 in household charge cash has landed into his office.

The Irish Daily Star reports that officials at the Department of the Environment are working hard to process a backlog of applications that have been sent in by local authorities across the country.

By close of business yesterday, the total number of homes that had paid the €100 tax was up to 822,747 – this means that €82.3million, or about 51.2 per cent of the overall €160million target has been met.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Like I said before - you own a car-shaped garden ornament - once you try to use that ornament as a functional motor car once again, you'll be taxed for the privilege.

The functional value of the car is what you're paying your tax on - move into your mate's house for a month and your home is just as functional,
    My car is fully functional just like the empty house. The empty house is not being used, neither is the car. More rubbish there alastair. Keep it coming. Im bored today.
    and the wealth contained in the property is unchanged.
    O we are back to the wealth again? So its not the same as a motor tax then? Negative equity wealth is it? You need a recycling centre for the amount of rubbish coming out of there.
    The parallel between motor tax and property tax is pretty simple - I'll lay it out for you one more time:

No car ownership = no motor tax
    Only one more time?

Funny, i still own my car. But no tax. How can that be??? .. So your tax for owning a car is another of your made up to suit your arguement, type ideas.

Id say you were missed during your ban. Some comedy was needed here.

Comical ali is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dvpower wrote: »
    Now that there is over 50% compliance on the Household Charge, isn't it time for everyone to accept that the tax isn't going to be defeated and that resistance is futile?

A campaign against it only made sense when there was a chance of defeating it, but wouldn't the energies of the anti charge people now be better spent on the next battle - whatever that might be?

Remind me again as to the compliance rate for the poll tax when it was defeated......

You do have roads, leading to bigger roads, street lighting, pavements in your local towns, etc, yeah? It's not Mars you're living on, is it?

Im sure you had them in poll tax land. But that did not stop you, isnt that right alastair. Unfair taxes, who`d be botherd paying them hey.....

mikom wrote: »
    Remind me again as to the compliance rate for the poll tax when it was defeated......

You seem to mistake a property tax for a poll tax? Two different taxes, with different objections.

Im sure you had them in poll tax land. But that did not stop you, isnt that right alastair. Unfair taxes, who`d be botherd paying them hey.....

I wasn't pretending that my local authority didn't provide services. There's the rub.

• Advertisement

You seem to mistake a property tax for a poll tax? Two different taxes, with different objections.

Well you would say that, wouldnt you.

I wasn't pretending that my local authority didn't provide services. There's the rub.

You said LA housing residents pay for local services also, through their taxes. Well then, so do home owners without paying this tax.

Yet the government tell us that this house tax is for services. Which is it alastair, the great administrator of fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Remind me again of numbers of people that took to the streets (and rioted) when it was defeated......

Lets face it - the HHC/Property Tax is here to stay for the foreseeable future. The aim of the campaign to kill it at birth has failed. Time to face that fact and refocus.

Well you would say that, wouldnt you.

I would - because the differences are apparent to anyone cares to look. Which is why the Council Charge wasn't objected to in the same way the Poll Tax was.

I would - because the differences are apparent to anyone cares to look. Which is why the Council Charge wasn't objected to in the same way the Poll Tax was.

I dont need to look. you avoided a tax, thats fine. But you come and celebrate one here, levied on home owners no matter what their ability to pay is, or their "alastair wealth" status.

And you answer peoples unfairness questions by comparing it to other taxes.

This is no wealth tax. It is in fact a selective poll tax.

You said LA housing residents pay for local services also, through their taxes. Well then, so do home owners without paying this tax.

Yet the government tell us that this house tax is for services. Which is it alastair, the great administrator of fairness

Sarcasm isn't your strongest suit - I'd work on that.

Time for the old Venn diagrams again - We all pay for local services through general taxation, and the household charge contributes to local services in it's entirety. Or as Father Ted would say - "These things are small, but the ones out there are far away"

I dont need to look. you avoided a tax, thats fine. But you come and celebrate one here, levied on home owners no matter what their ability to pay is, or their "alastair wealth" status.

And you answer peoples unfairness questions by comparing it to other taxes.

This is no wealth tax. It is in fact a selective poll tax.

Heh - a poll tax based not on anything but property ownership - or, ta dah!; a Property Tax.

It's a charge of 100 euro - I don't think any home owners are going to suffer unduely in paying that. I certainly celebrate a move towards sorting out our taxation system. So should you.

Sarcasm isn't your strongest suit - I'd work on that.

Last time it was spelling you advised several posters on, resulting in you dissapearing for a day(while still posting on another thread) from the foolishness of your spell checking, so it seems your not great at the oul advising.

Time for the old Venn diagrams again - We all pay for local services through general taxation, and the household charge contributes to local services in it's entirety.

Ok, so home owners pay more, for the same services. But only because they are wealthy.
    Or as Father Ted would say - "These things are small, but the ones out there are far away
    Or as doughal would say, that alastair is an awful eejit, isnt he ted.

You seem to pick and choose laws to follow as they suit you.
    Yet are quick to throw out the "it's the law line".

You'll excuse me if I don't take my lead from such a confused individual.

You seem to pick and choose laws to follow as they suit you.
    Yet are quick to throw out the "it's the law line".

I am? Aside from clarifying for those poor deluded souls who won't acknowledge it, that it is the law, I don't recall making the case that this was a reason for paying. But I guess that doesn't suit your straw man...

• Advertisement

Heh - a poll tax based not on anything but property ownership - or, ta dah!; a Property Tax.
    Cant be calling it a poll tax. That would be unfair.
    It's a charge of 100 euro - I don't think any home owners are going to suffer unduely in paying that. I certainly celebrate a move towards sorting out our taxation system. So should you.

Yes, like you welcomed the poll tax.

I am? Aside from clarifying for those poor deluded souls who won't acknowledge it, that it is the law, I don't recall making the case that this was a reason for paying. But I guess that doesn't suit your straw man...

The poll tax was the law as well.
    A law you willingly broke.

You are in no position to quote the law on taxation or charges to anyone.

Let them make their own decisions like you were free to make yours........... whether for right or wrong.

Hogan, Kenny and the rest of the snakes don't need another "Captain planet" coming to their aid.

A law you willingly broke.

You are in no position to quote the law on taxation or charges to anyone.

Let them make their own decisions like you were free to make yours........... whether for right or wrong.

Hogan, Kenny and the rest of the snakes don't need another "Captain planet" coming to their aid.

I honestly dont think i`ve ever seen another poster post such rubbish as mr comical.

Cant be calling it a poll tax. That would be unfair.
    and completely wrong too. It's missing one essential aspect of a poll tax - the clue is in the name.

A law you willingly broke..
    Yep. Never said otherwise.
    You are in no position to quote the law on taxation or charges to anyone..
    I'm not? I beg to differ.
    Let them make their own decisions like you were free to make yours........... whether for right or wrong..
    I'm stopping anyone make their own decisions? News to me.
    I'm sure they don't. A bit of clarity as to the facts of the matter won't hurt anyone all the same.

I honestly dont think i`ve ever seen another poster post such rubbish as mr comical.

Shouldn't you be spinning around the garden in your ornament?

and completely wrong too. It's missing one essential aspect of a poll tax - the clue is in the name.

Yes, like the household charge, its a tax. Where is the clue in its name alastair?

Yes, like the household charge, its a tax. Where is the clue in its name alastair?

Umm, I don't know how to break it to you, but 'charge' is a synonym for 'tax' when it's levied by the state, but 'poll' is not a synonym for 'property', no matter how you twist it. I know it's very confusing, but stick with it.

Yep. Never said otherwise.

I'm not? I beg to differ.

I'm stopping anyone make their own decisions? News to me.

I'm sure they don't. A bit of clarity as to the facts of the matter won't hurt anyone all the same.

Keep waffling.
    A dim future in politics awaits you.

• Advertisement

Keep waffling.
    A dim future in politics awaits you.

Cheers for that. If you've anything of substance to offer on the issue of the charge, do feel free to jump in. The inane guff is a boring substitute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement