Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    Inda seems to have offered quite a saving in that area. He's been using the same ratty nokia for donkey's years.

You must be really close to enda to notice what type of phone he has.
    What did he have for breakfast this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    No. maybe on your oul one though.

I understood you couldn't get your leg over anything, but I suppose fantasising about OAP's is a hobby of sorts.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    You must be really close to enda to notice what type of phone he has.

Not really - it's a subject that's come up in the wider sphere a couple of times already. He has an old gold coloured nokia. Great battery life seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cheers for that. If you've anything of substance to offer on the issue of the charge, do feel free to jump in. The inane guff is a boring substitute.

A refreshing change from the hypocrisy.

I heard Gerry Ryan is keeping a cloud warm for your arrival in heaven one day.....

mikom wrote: »
    A refreshing change from the hypocrisy.

...that you can't actually identify? Yeah - I've heard the bluster.

Yawn.

• Advertisement

Yawn.

Keep it open.
    Hogan will be along in a few minutes for a service.

Keep it open.

Well done - you've bored me to the point of leaving for the evening - have fun with the guff!

And, I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Alastair, I think you should talk yo somebody about this obsession of yours.

I mean, seriously, just skipping through the pages and I can see your last post was around 1.30 this morning and then online all day,all day, today.

That's not normal behaviour.

Have you nobody to talk to, can you not go out for a walk or something?

Seriously, and as a fellow boards user, I'm getting a bit worried about you.

Hope you find the help you need.

All the best;
    gerryo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I understood you couldn't get your leg over anything, but I suppose fantasising about OAP's is a hobby of sorts.

Well i dont know, You seem happy for her to be rode by enda, along with all pensioners. You may as well join in. Then give us your final analysis.

Well done - you've bored me to the point of leaving for the evening - have fun with the guff!

And, I'm out.

Achievement unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

An entire page full of comments not related to the charge at all.. after hours. Your reputation precedes you

Keep it open.

He wont pay though, unless the service is up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Take the waivers, unfinished estates etc and what have you ?
    Again I ask, why take the waivers out? The argument from the no side is that the HHC is a “tax” being foisted on the people, who oppose it to such an extent that they are prepared to break the law of the land to oppose it.

Surely those who abide by the law and register, even if they need not pay, are most definitely in the camp of those that accept this charge?

lugha wrote: »

Surely those who abide by the law and register, even if they need not pay, are most definitely in the camp of those that accept this charge?

How can you say someone that registers knowing they dont have to pay, agree to the charge?

There are definitely poeople out there that oppose it completely, but payed through fear of fines, court appearances etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Very few paid in Cavan, Monaghan, Louth and Donegal. So its not just Galway.

insert your own joke here.

How can you say someone that registers knowing they dont have to pay, agree to the charge?
    I think you can definitely say they don’t in principle fundamentally disagree with it, which is surely what matters? The no side are not saying people don’t want to pay the charge (who ever wants to pay any tax or charge???). They are saying that there is a sizable body of people who are opposed to it in principle.
    There are definitely poeople out there that oppose it completely, but payed through fear of fines, court appearances etc.
    Which surely is the same reason why people pay for their TV licence, car tax or any other charge where the onus is on them pay? What do you imagine the compliance rate for such things might be if there were no repercussions in law for those that did not pay? Somewhere around zero I would think!

I think you can definitely say they don’t in principle fundamentally disagree with it, which is surely what matters? The no side are not saying people don’t want to pay the charge (who ever wants to pay any tax or charge???). They are saying that there is a sizable body of people who are opposed to it in principle.
    Which surely is the same reason why people pay for their TV licence, car tax or any other charge where the onus is on them pay? What do you imagine the compliance rate for such things might be if there were no repercussions in law for those that did not pay? Somewhere around zero I would think!

If all we had to do to comply with the tv licence law was to register, but pay nothing, those that dont pay now, would register. So saying people that are not liable, but registered, is not an indication they dont oppose the charge.

If all we had to do to comply with the tv licence law was to register, but pay nothing, those that dont pay now, would register.
    Well to me that would say very clearly, it is not the principle, it is the money! :)

Well to me that would say very clearly, it is not the principle, it is the money! :)

Being taxed on your own home, is unfair to many. Thats the principle. The non liable ones dont have to pay. So what your saying is, by registering, they agree to a charge that they are not liable for.

Its all down to money. Taking money off people because they bought a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

So for those who havnt paid.....

Now what?

• Advertisement

Now what?

Life as fugitives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Now what?

Penalties and interest accrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

insert your own joke here.

Mayo was one of the highest. Wonder why :D

Again I ask, why take the waivers out? The argument from the no side is that the HHC is a “tax” being foisted on the people, who oppose it to such an extent that they are prepared to break the law of the land to oppose it.

Oh my God !!!
    No. They are simply registering because they don't have to pay.

Now what?

I have camouflaged my mansion to look like a castle. They might think it's James Reilly's and give me a load of grants.
    I couldn't get a picture of Hogan's Portuguese villa which they would also be afraid to approach as he wouldn't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Now what?
    You won't get an answer to that. The anti charge people only had a plan A - to kill the charge at birth. That didn't work out and they don't appear to have another strategy.
    Most will eventually pay, or be forced to pay.

But fair play to them - they put up a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

Firstly no one side has won or lost this household charge or what it should be really called the household registration charge fiasco!

Until the postal applications are opened and validated the number is still in the air – many contain a returned final notice (like mine)! A serious number of people have defied the government and it does not have to be the majority! Some may pay over time with a late payment fee but I doubt many will – many made their stand and will stick to it. Who knows what will happen when this charge increases, numbers paying may drop even further. The figures right now are irrelevant, majority or minority; either side will use them for their cause.

For the real property tax to come in, the government need the register of houses – that is the main goal. An incomplete register is useless to them, they need all to register out of the ~2million homes in Ireland as per census 2011 (less those exempt that they should be aware of – not big numbers). Using utility bills is useless, they need the owner. I also expect those in ghost estates, who registered for a waiver, will be in for a nice shock when they get a property tax bill in 2 years.

If the councils cannot enforce the NPPR charge (many not paying and no resources to follow up) what hope does this charge/tax have.

As for the shock tactics, you cannot sell your house until the bill is paid. Well for some that may be an issue in the short term, luckily I bought a house to live in for life so can worry about that in 50+ years when we are dead ;) I need my already taxed income to live, no use to me when dead. Who knows what will come, it may be abolished by the next government (think of water rates before). As far as I know the outstanding amount cannot be held against a house for more than 12 years so that is another nail in it (and if not I still don’t care)! I am NOT paying now or ever. Nothing will convince me that this is justifiable on my home and my family. No threat of fines, jail (they say not) or removal of services will convince me. I am at my limit of taxation; this is no different to an increase on income (I still lose either way). There is also nothing in the troika deal that mandates this as the government keep lying about. It is simply one of the options to gather more income, not mandatory.

If I knew that I would have to pay a rent on my home for life I would have rented – I cannot guarantee I can afford ~1k/year after retirement. Why are second homes not taxed to a serious level to cover primary homes? This should have been done years ago and would have seriously stemmed the property bubble. If second and subsequent homes costs 5k+ per year how many would have bought homes for investments/speculation! However unfair, this could easily be done now – take the hit, you speculated and now you are losing out just like the bondholders should. The principle home should be safeguarded.

And as far as the argument that other countries have this, so should we. This is such a lame argument, we can all list a whole slew of taxes we have that other countries don’t have. Never mind that fact that they get way more for that property/council charge (bins is just one item that bugs me that can cost several hundred Euro a year alone).

There is only one way to get us out of this mess and that is to CUT spending. The deficit is not going away simply on a household charge/property tax. Just like those who have unfortunately lost jobs, lost income (both private and public workers); to survive on this reduction they had to cut expenditure to live within their means. We now have FG, who promised this and that to get into power (who are no different to FF), afraid and weak to tackle this issue. Career politicians, who only see the luxurious pension(s) awaiting them. This should be the first item to tackle!

A humble opinion on this massive thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I can only speak for myself.I didn't pay and it would be crazy for me to say no then but hand over the money now. I disagree with this charge in every way and the crazy way it has been handled(making the rules as they went along) I will hold out until they TAKE it as I feel this is how I can voice my opinion. The only thing I would advise them is be very careful about how you go to take it as a lot of peoples eyes have been opened to the ways our government works and how unprofessional they can be.That in itself has made this worthwhile for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

miftha wrote: »
    For the real property tax to come in, the government need the register of houses – that is the main goal. An incomplete register is useless to them, they need all to register out of the ~2million homes in Ireland as per census 2011 (less those exempt that they should be aware of – not big numbers). Using utility bills is useless, they need the owner.
    If the councils cannot enforce the NPPR charge (many not paying and no resources to follow up) what hope does this charge/tax have.....

Mmmm...I wonder how difficult it would be to seed the database with false information? If there was thousands of dead ends (owners \ addresses) it would seriously fcuk them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I haven't read all today's posts so maybe this has been mentioned before.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0403/1224314298666.html

One senior source said many Ministers were coming to the view that the full property tax should become the responsibility of Revenue, with the charge for the property being deducted from income.

“The lesson we learned is that self-registration has had mixed results and Revenue should take control of deciding who is liable, and collecting the tax,” said the source.

Maybe this is just a kite flying exercise but I always thought since the Revenue have been so active in the last 10 years or so chasing down tax defaulters (they take in over €100 million every quarter from defaulters often with massive penalties) that they would surely take an interest in people who publicly announced they were going to break this law and did so. The Revenue are mentioned specifically in the legislation as one of the entities which will share information for the purposes of compliance.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0314/1224313270436.html

Because there was no database required since 1977 for the collection of domestic rates obviously none exists and people deriding the government for not having one instantly at their fingertips now amuse me. Those who have registered will of course make it easier for one to be created but anyone who thinks their house can somehow be excluded for twelve years is probably wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement