Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

paddy147 wrote: »
    By saying NO and standing up for what I believe in,Im doing my part as a patriot.

Being a patriot and being patriotic to my country doesnt need to involve actual physical fighting.

You'll probably get a statue on O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    Self registration isn't the only registration game in town. They're compiling an up-to-date database in parallel to this. Given the Deed of Sale and Stamp Duty databases, this won't be rocket science.

Wow!
    So, eventually they will have a list of people and their addresses.
    I'm ****ting myself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

776000 is the latest figure reported on RTE!

Which means more than a million have yet to register.

Good luck trying to implement that. If it was the UK, with a population of 60,000,000 that wouldnt be such as big a headache (would still be dam dam difficult though)

But with Irelands population, which is give or take 4,000,000 your talking over 50% of the (liable) public, give or take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Self registration isn't the only registration game in town. They're compiling an up-to-date database in parallel to this. Given the Deed of Sale and Stamp Duty databases, this won't be rocket science.

well, good luck to them. I'll make them work for it. For the sake of an annual penalty equivalent to 6 or 7 pints I'm happy enough to wait it out

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    Didn't they say nobody would go to jail for not paying.

All they need to do is pick a handful of people that didn't pay and bring them to court and fine them €2500, even five people would be enough to make a point then all the non payers would be falling over themselves to pay it

And if they refuse to pay the fines ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

or much in the way of awareness either. it seems.

Im aware of the charge.

I was asked/requested to pay it by the goverment on the TV and on the radio too,by various different ministers with all sorts of waffle and excuses,reasons

I said NO.

They asked me a question and I gave them my answer.

Now,I wonder where all those information leaflets got to aswell??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Wow!
    I'm ****ting myself now.

Again, your toilet habits aside, it's about ability to enforce, not scare. You'll have to pay, whatever trousers you choose to wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

dvpower wrote: »
    Anyone can go on to the website on Sunday morning and beyond and pay the charge. The interest and penalties will be €11 I think.

I will think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Roverek

Wow!
    I'm ****ting myself now.
    And they spend 200euro to find each one, as otherwise our overpaid PS will not work :-). hahahaha

Again, your toilet habits aside, it's about ability to enforce, not scare. You'll have to pay, whatever trousers you choose to wear.

Good chap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

hondasam wrote: »
    Did you read the link? This system is needed to take money from wages and social welfare payments.
    If they could do with via the tax office there would be no need for this expensive system.
    They can and do do it in the Revenue. Do you doubt this?

The new system will allow for it to be used much more efficiently and open it up to be used on a much more widespread basis (as envisaged by the changes to the Fines Act), but this happens now, every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

paddy147 wrote: »
    By saying NO and standing up for what I believe in,Im doing my part as a patriot.
    You are refusing to pay a charge (or tax if you prefer) that was introduced by the lawfully elected government of this country,

There are quite a few folk who from time to time are found to have declined to pay taxes that they were obliged to pay under law, and like you, they would have been quite adamant that these taxes were fundamentally unfair. Are they heroes too?

Or is tax evasion one of these irregular verbs as Bernard Wooley might say.

I am a conscientious objective to unfair charges
    You are reneging on your tax obligations.
    He is a greedy tax sponger, thieving of the people! :pac:

hondasam wrote: »
    I will think about it.

Don't be bullied Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ghandee wrote: »

Good luck trying to implement that. If it was the UK, with a population of 60,000,000 that wouldnt be such as big a headache (would still be dam dam difficult though)

But with Irelands population, which is give or take 4,000,000 your talking over 50% of the (liable) public, give or take.

Given that it appears very few who are not liable have registered, the % who are liable and have paid looks like it may break the 50% barrier.

You're going to have to move the old goalposts again Ghandee!

ehh, that's less than a million, but carry on...

You'll probably get a statue on O'Connell Street.

Yeah,Ill get it cast in bronze and have life size sculpture of myself kicking Endas arse down the street with my size 11 steel cap.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I doubt anyone is scared, but the reality is that non-payers will be fined, and obliged to pay in the final analysis.

Final analysis again:D

If the 'Don't Register, Don't Pay' campaign were anything like the revolutionaries of 1916, they would be having a 'Do Register, Don't Pay' campaign and standing up, not hiding away in the hope that the government don't catch up to them.

I highly doubt most of us see it as hiding?

The Govt admitted themselves they have no database. Did they think we'd all volunteer to register our details, and give them a blank cheque for which to screw us over year after year?

Also, answer this DV, why have they never came out and outlined the proposed plans for a property tax, or give any assurances as to how this charge wont sky rocket?

And to top it off, Edna made no comment on the HHC in his closing speech tonight?

Is this the first sign that its to be consigned to the history drawer pretty quickly?

They can and do do it in the Revenue. Do you doubt this?

The new system will allow for it to be used much more efficiently and open the open up to be used on a much more widespread basis (as envisaged by the changes to the Fines Act), but this happens now, every day.

What's revenue go to do with something that's not a tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I wonder will Big Joe Joyce pay it??

• Advertisement

Don't be bullied Sam.
    And while you're at it Sam, hand over your lunch money.
    :eek:

If the 'Don't Register, Don't Pay' campaign were anything like the revolutionaries of 1916, they would be having a 'Do Register, Don't Pay' campaign and standing up, not hiding away in the hope that the government don't catch up to them.

Oh yeah,so register up so that Enda can have everybodies address and make life so much easier for himself and big Phil.

Yeah right.

When someone says NO,that means they said NO.

Not yes or maybe..but NO.

What's revenue go to do with something that's not a tax.
    Not quite sure what you're getting at - or if you were following the point.

Is it?

true figure was 1.8 million.

Needs to be over the 800,000 mark Ali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

And if they refuse to pay the fines ?

I'm pretty sure you know what happens to someone who doesn't pay a court fine. Penal warrant followed by three hots and a pot. That's just the fine. There is still the original charge pluse interest and penalty. They will likely deduct this at source for social welfare and public sector employees and through tax credits for everyone else. And I've no doubt that they will use the level of non payment as an excuse for some more cuts in the next budget.

Is this the first sign that its to be consigned to the history drawer pretty quickly?

Let's see...

ehh, no.

€50k for a social worker???
    Clucking Bell as the saying goes.
    Is it any wonder we're ****ed?
    My sister in law went on maternity leave recently, a teacher, she is on that until the holidays, then she takes a break from maternity leave and gets her holiday pay and then back on the maternity leave when school starts again.
    Crazy country!

Don't pay any attention to that post (no.9) as it's obviously created to suit an agenda and nothing to do with the thread.

1.6 million or 1.8 million...sure even big Phil himself doesnt really know.He knows sweet fcuk all then.

And while you're at it Sam, hand over your lunch money.
    :eek:

Leave her alone or I'll kick your ass!:D

• Advertisement

Roverek wrote: »
    The opinion of PS is not valid in the real world.

Who were you before ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement