Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sunnyjo41

we had a great chance as a nation to protest by not getting up from our fat arses as that just would not do and what to 51% do pay the HHC - Probably on backs of hoping majority not pay - anyone who did you are a disgrace to your nation and never ever feel you can diss this government again - shame on you. I have not paid and wont pay and very sad I wont have to do the time for my crime :( I will vote no in the treaty also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    Everyone pays. It's kind of hard to get through life avoiding VAT etc. None of the property tax will go elsewhere - it's 100% destined for local authority funding.
    Is that why it goes to central funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Are they that desperate now that their revising down their own figures, contrary to the most recent census, just to make their percentages look better?
    You think the government are taking desperate measures to get the charge sucessfully introduced? :confused:
    If so, you're living in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

hondasam wrote: »
    What allowances exactly? is this for correcting exam papers? There is lots of places where savings can be made, ministers pay and allowances is where I would start, do we really need all the ministers/County councillors we have?

re. the teachers, it was over €500m and was paid for a number of reasons, the main ones probably supervision and pay for educational qualifications.

And now the government is going to exclude people who bought during the boom.
    Panic stations now.
    What a clueless shower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

dvpower wrote: »
    You still think the charge will be defeated?:eek:
    How do you think that is going to play out?

I don't necessarily think it will be defeated but changes will have to be made. I think the government will make some concession,maybe guarantee to leave it at lower charge for a few years. They know now that people are unhappy and it will not end well for them for the EU fiscal treaty referendum in May.

this money WILL NOT GO TO LOCAL SERVICES it is for wages and pensions of civil servents - Wake up people!!!!!

dvpower wrote: »
    You think the government are taking desperate measures to get the charge sucessfully introduced? :confused:
    If so, you're living in the past.

Yea it looks really successful ok, 40 or 50% not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What do you call the places where council tenants live?

Tenants who own their property?

It doesn't say that they will be exempt. Many of them are already exempt from the Household Charge anyway. I read in the paper that the Revenue Commissioners could be appointed to collect the Property Tax. Neither of these stories are proof of any concrete decisions.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0403/1224314298666.html

revenue commissioners eh ?....so hauptsturmfuhrer Kenny vill welease the waffen SS...nein nein !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

sunnyjo41 wrote: »
    this money WILL NOT GO TO LOCAL SERVICES it is for wages and pensions of civil servents - Wake up people!!!!!

No it's not. It will go to pay back the banking debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Give me one good reason as to why I should give in and pay? The penalties do not bother me at the moment.

The chances of a property tax being scrapped are slim to zero, and there may come a moment in the future when the penalties do bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

My argument will always be the same, everyone pays of no one pays but I'm not paying for people who contribute nothing to the system.

Your argument is somewhat undermined by the fact that everyone does pay for local services (even the ones you believe you don't benefit from).

Do you believe they should pay equally for 'local services'?
    I reckon they should actually pay more considering they get the roof over their heads paid for by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    revenue commissioners eh ?....so hauptsturmfuhrer Kenny vill welease the waffen SS...nein nein !!

Whether they are collecting it or not they will be sharing and exchanging information to ensure compliance as laid out in the legislation. I hope all your tax affairs are in order meine freunde.

same thing - it not going to local services

you are definitely smoking something illegal....cut your jibber jabber....crazy fool

heres a question if the tax was for 200 a year to include water would you pay?

The chances of a property tax being scrapped are slim to zero, and there may come a moment in the future when the penalties do bother you.

I'm sure they will bother me and everyone else also but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. The government might give a waiver on the late penalties as a gesture of good will to the people who elected them and to the people who are paying their wages.

Whether they are collecting it or not they will be sharing and exchanging information to ensure compliance as laid out in the legislation. I hope all your tax affairs are in order meine freunde.

mais oui mon brave...certainement mon general.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

A broken clock is right twice a day.

What time is it Al? :p

heres a question if the tax was for 200 a year to include water would you pay?

If it was €200 and included my bins I would pay. I don't pay for water yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

same thing - it not going to local services

It is by law.

Financial Implications of the Bill
    The Bill has no direct financial implications for the Exchequer as
    the revenue from the €100 household charge will be lodged to the
    Local Government Fund out of which funding will be provided by
    the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local
    Government to local authorities in the form of General-Purpose
    Grants.

Your argument is somewhat undermined by the fact that everyone does pay for local services (even the ones you believe you don't benefit from).

How do people who are claiming social welfare, living in LA housing contribute exactly? Why should people living in unfinished estates not pay?
    Yes I agree I benefit from some things but not the same as other people do.

I would pay if it included the water charge which we will be paying soon , would pay 300 if included my bins that would be fair. At least then nothin ggoing to banks, wages or pensions but actual services - I would be happy:)

It is by law.

Grants.

Oh yea, whatever they raise from this will go to replace the €170 million they cut local funding by in the last budget to put in the pot they gave to speculators and gamblers.

I would pay if it included the water charge which we will be paying soon , would pay 300 if included my bins that would be fair. At least then nothin ggoing to banks, wages or pensions but actual services - I would be happy:)

If I put one black bin a week out (average for a family of 5) it costs me €552 per year.....

It is by law.

Grants.

where you get this crap - have you not lived in this country for last 10yrs nothing official released is true it propeganda crap - look around your locality , have you pot holes, have you goast estates, have you a park, if not, paying this charge means nothing it will go to the wages and pensions, how can they up keep something you never had!!!

If I put one black bin a week out (average for a family of 5) it costs me €552 per year.....

my bins cost me 400 a year so with the tax and water included I would be happy:) We can only dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I have not registered or paid, and I will not. I paid huge stamp duty during the boom and I heard the news today that they may make people like me exempt.
    But I can see through this spin. No doubt there will be a requirement for me to register to claim my waiver, but then I'm on the hook. In a year or two, a rethink will be had, and my exemption will disappear due to "circumstances" and then its too late. I don't care what type of "incentive" they dream up. I am not signing up to this for payment or exemption. And , as I bought my home as a place to rear my family and live and die in, I couldn't care less what charges and penalties they tie to it. When I'm dead they can take what they want. While I'm alive I wont pay rent on my own property to keep them in their lavish lifestyles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement