Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

sunnyjo41 wrote: »
    where you get this crap - have you not lived in this country for last 10yrs nothing official released is true it propeganda crap - look around your locality , have you pot holes, have you goast estates, have you a park, if not, paying this charge means nothing it will go to the wages and pensions, how can they up keep something you never had!!!

It's written down in the law which was passed in the Dail. Just because you disagree with government policies it doesn't mean you can break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

It's written down in the law which was passed in the Dail. Just because you disagree with government policies it doesn't mean you can break the law.

**** the law, the law is an ass!

Is there not a law against treason?
    Surely bertie and his buddies should be arrested....
    Show me law being fair, that's all I ask.

I have not registered or paid, and I will not. I paid huge stamp duty during the boom and I heard the news today that they may make people like me exempt.
    But I can see through this spin. No doubt there will be a requirement for me to register to claim my waiver, but then I'm on the hook. In a year or two, a rethink will be had, and my exemption will disappear due to "circumstances" and then its too late. I don't care what type of "incentive" they dream up. I am not signing up to this for payment or exemption. And , as I bought my home as a place to rear my family and live and die in, I couldn't care less what charges and penalties they tie to it. When I'm dead they can take what they want. While I'm alive I wont pay rent on my own property to keep them in their lavish lifestyles.

Have you applied for Mortgage Interest Supplement.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/mortgage_interest_supplement.html

People getting Mortgage Interest Supplement will be granted a waiver from the new €100 Household Charge. To be eligible for the waiver you must be getting MIS on the liability date, which is 1 January each year.[/I]

gerryo777 wrote: »
    **** the law, the law is an ass!

Is there not a law against treason?
    Surely bertie and his buddies should be arrested....
    Show me law being fair, that's all I ask.

That's the usual response from people who break the law. "Why don't you prosecute someone else"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

With all the exemptions there will be no left to pay except those who did not pay over the top for their properties. How is giving people who spent over a million for their house a free pass right? More BS from this government to hit less well off.

• Advertisement

That's the usual response from people who break the law. "Why don't you prosecute someone else"?

Dundalk knows plenty about breaking laws!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Have you applied for Mortgage Interest Supplement.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/mortgage_interest_supplement.html

People getting Mortgage Interest Supplement will be granted a waiver from the new €100 Household Charge. To be eligible for the waiver you must be getting MIS on the liability date, which is 1 January each year.[/I]

No, not eligible as I'm in employment for over 27 years without a break. Have not had a pay rise in over 5 years while my expenses have gone through the roof. But plenty of expenses on my ever smaller take home pay packet don't seem to matter.

And in my village we have no library, swimming pool, or parks. Our childrens playground was built just 18 months ago and paid for after a 15 year fund raising program that finally raised enough to put equipment on a site donated by a generous local land owner. No council or city money was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Declan Lander

this money WILL NOT GO TO LOCAL SERVICES it is for wages and pensions of civil servents - Wake up people!!!!!

I wouldn't mind paying so much if that was the case. Services require people, and at least half their wages go back to the government in the form of PAYE, PRSI, and VAT, and the rest is spent on local private sector goods and services, instead of paying each of them a 30k dole benefits package to sit at home watching sky tv, so they don't burn down the Daíl and the crooks inside it.

The reason I'm not paying is the household charge, is that its obvious that the money is going to wealthy private bondholders, SCAMA etc, and they expect us to pay off their private gambling debts for them, while the continue to live in a life of luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sunnyjo41

last post on this subject - if you paid or think about going to pay this charge - this year 100, next 200 and so forth along with water charges , bins, tv licence etc - once you register they know where you live :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 slapstick

makes me sick reading the sanctimonious bull**** from you and one or two others posting on this thread.

yes we know the money raised through the hhc will be going towards funding local councils, it`ll be needed because the funding previously supplied for this purpose will no longer be forthcoming as it`s going to be used to pay off the gamblers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

When i first saw the IMF arrive here my very first thought was " what have our f-ing politicians allowed to happen to this country, we are the laughing stock of europe"..very quickly my second thought was "thank god they are here, the IMF will sort out this mess and stop the massive waste"...lol...how wrong I was, but who is to blame for the continuing weekly deficit of €400,000,000 ?

I believe the IMF would have slashed and burned spending, but our government(s) have done deals which we will never know of, and some we will like this HHC...The government had, and still have negotiating power, they could have said we will cut spending by a lot more and the IMF would be happy with that. However we are lead by a bunch of cowardly muppets (all our politicians!!)...and I believe the government decided to pick and choose what and who would take the brunt of this to avoid clashing with the unions or hurting the most vulnerable etc...and then they turn around and tell us that this HHC is a demand of the IMF and we have no choice....sure god help us...poor little mites
    THEY ARE TELLING US LIES AGAIN....shame on you who have paid, you are traitors...
    AND BEFORE AL, FRANCIS AND DX ALL SAY "PROOF"...PROVE TO ME THEY ARE NOT.

nacht nacht dem irish volken..nacht nacht herr Kenny und herr Hogan

alastair wrote: »
    A broken clock is right twice a day.

"a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day" fool !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Just because you need money to pay off unsecured bond holders whom for some reason you seem obliged to pander to doesnt mean you can just make sh1t up and screw your populace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Freddie59 wrote: »
    But how can you keep employing them when you cannot afford to? It's either lower salaries or numbers Sam. It is inevitable.
    As has happened in most companies. The amount of positions which would not be life threatening to LA's at the moment is rediculous. How do I know is your answer. Won't say but do know.The lower level employees can be spared if the responibilities are reviewed from the top down. A lot of "middle men" are totally unneccessery.
    This aside, the money we are discussing is not going to make a difference there.It has already been stated that the money is going in one pot.So my money will not be going to my LA or local services.This is only the first part of the deception.
    And when things get really tough,you can thank the "No" brigade when either the politicians are forced to do their job,or you are forced to join us..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Just because you need money to pay off unsecured bond holders whom for some reason you seem obliged to pander to doesnt mean you can just make sh1t up and screw your populace

I would have thought the reason was obvious, it's a requirement of the countries that are currently lending to us.

Saying 'no' would not have been a sensible answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

this money WILL NOT GO TO LOCAL SERVICES it is for wages and pensions of civil servents - Wake up people!!!!!
    Dubit10 wrote: »
    No it's not. It will go to pay back the banking debt.
    Even the conspiracy people can't decide where the money is going.

dvpower wrote: »
    Even the conspiracy people can't decide where the money is going.
    Because we have not been told where the money is going!(Truthfully)
    It is going to your local services.
    It is going in one pot.
    There is no real plan as to where it is going.

jluv wrote: »
    Because we have not been told where the money is going!(Truthfully)
    It is going to your local services.
    It is going in one pot.
    There is no real plan as to where it is going.
    Its going to fund local authorities. What other detail do you want that isn't already in the local authority accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Declan Lander

Its going to fund local authorities. What other detail do you want that isn't already in the local authority accounts?

Local authority budgets are being cut left right and centre.
    You might as well tell us it's going up Big Phil's Phat Hairy Hole.
    That would be a lot more believable.

Local authority budgets are being cut left right and centre.
    They are. All the more reason to pay the HHC.

• Advertisement

They are. All the more reason to pay the HHC.

there are huge cuts in the education budget also, so following your logic should the government decide to introduce a tax on education we should all just pay up like good law abiding citizens ?

My point was..
    Origanally it was going to MY local authority.

Then it was changed to a "pot which includes motor tax"

And not one person can give me a plan for the money outside of "It's for local services"

If I said to my company "sure give me money,it's for the good of the company",I think they would ask to see a plan.

It's going to fund local authorities.I don't want to know what they have been doing all along. I want to know changes they are making and how this money is going to help.
    Have not paid because absolutly noone can convince me that this is the answer.Yes we're in debt,yes we're borrowing,but this minimal "contribution" if you choose to make it does not solve any issue local or globally.
    For those who paid.(And if you convinced us to pay) OK this gap is plugged.Next gap, need more money.Right no point in going after the unemployed.So lets go after the tax payer AGAIN.How can we do this? Your kids use schools.Lets tax you on that.We'll exempt anyone on social welfare,anyone in LA hou,sing but anyone who has saved to buy your house,works a job,paid service charges or stamp duty,sorry guys but you have to pay again..
    Thats how it feels to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The good thing about this protest is that it has sent out a clear message that the people are generally fed up with being treated like fools. They will no longer be taken for granted or swallow any old spouted rubbish by the Government parties regardless of who they are. As things get worse I can see even more protests and an unwillingness to take the brunt of the austerity as you have roughly a third of the population carrying the can for the other two-thirds.
    We have made this uncaring Government sit up and take notice and their European overlords have received the message too. Alas none of them seem to have got the message that you cannot tax and cut your way out of this problem.

How?

slapstick wrote: »
    there are huge cuts in the education budget also, so following your logic should the government decide to introduce a tax on education we should all just pay up like good law abiding citizens ?
    The taxes that fund education have already increased. Nobody protested.

The taxes that fund education have already increased. Nobody protested.

not the same thing there is no specific education tax, unlike the household tax.

slapstick wrote: »
    not the same thing there is no specific education tax, unlike the household tax.
    DV would happily pay an education tax too.
    DV loves taxes.
    DV thinks we will tax our way out of our current difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

jluv wrote: »
    My point was..
    Origanally it was going to MY local authority.

Then it was changed to a "pot which includes motor tax"

And not one person can give me a plan for the money outside of "It's for local services"

If I said to my company "sure give me money,it's for the good of the company",I think they would ask to see a plan.

Your local authority didn't consult you on how they should spend your taxes?! Did this bother you any year before now? You've diligently reviewed it's annual reports and budget breakdowns in all the years leading up to now? Or are you just wheeling out weak excuses for your non-payment?

The household charge has always been ringfenced for local authority spending - don't know where the pot with motor tax comes into play - is it because motor tax goes into local authority funding too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Your local authority didn't consult you on how they should spend your taxes?! Did this bother you any year before now? You've diligently reviewed it's annual reports and budget breakdowns in all the years leading up to now? Or are you just wheeling out weak excuses for your non-payment?

The household charge has always been ringfenced for local authority spending - don't know where the pot with motor tax comes into play - is it because motor tax goes into local authority funding too?

Aren`t cars great alastair

• Advertisement

Phil Hogan stated on Frontline that this money would not be going to your LA but would go into the same pot as motor tax and be distributed as seen fit.His words not mine.And you are correct.I did not review it's annual reports any other year. Perhaps I should have and queried why I have not recieved the services that I paid a hefty fee for when I built my house.I am asking questions now though as it appears there is no money left now to provide me with these services which I have paid for. He's not happy to pay for services he's not satisfied with.Neither am I.
    You are happy with your services.You paid.Simple...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement