Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

gerryo777 wrote: »
    What for?
    I didn't bring anything up about the frontline program..

You seem pretty convinced that it's a legitimate claim though - "Doesn't take much to expose alastair" and all that. So you're just mouthing off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

dvpower wrote: »
    Anyone who voted for FG or LAB in the last election in the expectation that senior bondholders were not going to be repaid is an idiot.

I know that - but it took the FG/Lab voters a bit longer to realise they were idiots; they had to witness the destruction of the legitimacy of the Government first.

Just because (you or I think) the democratic majority are idiots doesn't make them any less the democratic majority.

Nor do the policies they voted against become the 'voice of the people' - as you tritely claimed in relation to the tax/spend balance.

You have been hoist on your own petard my friend :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    You seem pretty convinced that it's a legitimate claim though - "Doesn't take much to expose alastair" and all that. So you're just mouthing off?

It's actually on the RTE player and it was on Primetime, not the frontline program.
    Listen to your buddy phil.

It's around the 13 minute 20 second mark.

"this money goes into a local government fund where motor tax goes as well and it's all put into a pot and it's divvied out on an equalisation measure across the country"

I can't put the link up for some reason but have a look yourself. It's available there until the 17th April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

No - according to everyone.

In your little world.

How do you come to the 1.8m figure for liable homes ?

It was mentioned during the week. Trying to remember which show it was on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

These statements are completly at odds with one another.
    Thanks for clearing up the misinformation posted by jluv earlier, gerry.

"this money goes into a local government fund where motor tax goes as well and it's all put into a pot and it's divvied out on an equalisation measure across the country"

Phil Hogan stated on Frontline that this money would not be going to your LA but would go into the same pot as motor tax and be distributed as seen fit.

What exactly is an equalisation measure?

Does that mean that if,say 50,000 pay up in Dublin and only 50 pay up in Cavan, that these two amounts are added up and divided by 2 and then 'divvied out'?

Does it mean that all the money collected is added up and divided by the amount of LA's there are in the country?

If that's the case, it's just another valid reason not to pay.

Here ya go Gerry.

"A pot".:rolleyes:

'Solemn Undertaking"?:rolleyes: Like the bondholders? And the Seanad?

Starts at 13:20

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1142456

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's actually on the RTE player and it was on Primetime, not the frontline program.

I can't put the link up for some reason but have a look yourself. It's available there until the 17th April.

So it does go to local authorities?

MagicSean wrote: »
    So it does go to local authorities?
    It does.

• Advertisement

These statements are completly at odds with one another.
    Thanks for clearing up the misinformation posted by jluv earlier, gerry.

I think what the previous poster was getting at was the fact that the exact amount collected in one local authority area will not all be given back to that LA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

It does.

It doesn't. It goes to the German Banks. :cool:

That's not saying the same thing at all:
    this money goes into a local government fund

As stated - 100% goes to local authority funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dave malone

does anyone know how to upload a message. thanks

I think what the previous poster was getting at was the fact that the exact amount collected in one local authority area will not all be given back to that LA.

As opposed to what she actually posted?

So now it looks like not only will people who pay be carrying renters but also people in the larger urban areas will be carrying the smaller counties as well.

I'm just happy that we are now all agreed that it is going to fund local authorities and we can now finally put the 'its going to pay back bondholders' nonsence to bed.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    It doesn't. It goes to the German Banks.
    Not you Bill - you carry on as usual.

does anyone know how to upload a message. thanks

If you are talking about a private message it's just copy and paste. But you should get the other persons permission first.

As stated - 100% goes to local authority funding.

To replace the 110% (€170 million) they took from LA's in the budget to give to the unsecured secondary bondholders in anglo.

So now it looks like not only will people who pay be carrying renters but also people in the larger urban areas will be carrying the smaller counties as well.

People will not be carrying renters because the landlord will be paying the charge for that property.

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    People will not be carrying renters because the landlord will be paying the charge for that property.

The local authority will be paying itself for all it's tenants?

To replace the 110% (€170 million) they took from LA's in the budget to give to the unsecured secondary bondholders in anglo.

I think you'll find that local authority funding has been cut by far more than €170 million - it's down about 30% over the last couple of years. That doesn't remove from the fact that this money goes 100% to local authorities. Newsflash - pretty much every area of public expenditure is down as well.

So when you said renters you actually meant people in LA housing? There's quite a difference there. One is much bigger than the other, but I'm sure you knew that.

I love the fact that you think that local authorities should take money from themselves to pay a charge that goes back to themselves. I thought you were all about minimising waste in the public sector? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Phil Hogans just released a video about how this money goes to the LA's, via a central fund, rather than the bondholders...........

Indeed. The elephant in the room, so to speak.

I've raised this several times, but DV, Al, and their ilk dnce around it and ignore it.

Even if 15m households paid €500 PA Property tax, it will generate some €750m in revenue PER ANNUM. We are borrowing €400m PER WEEK. How long is this model sustainable before the whole house of cards collapses?

I love the fact that you think that local authorities should take money from themselves to pay a charge that goes back to themselves. I thought you were all about minimising waste in the public sector? :rolleyes:

HOUSEHOLD charge Alastair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Wild Bill wrote: »
    It doesn't. It goes to the German Banks. :cool:

Billy's gone a good few posts now without mentioning the Nazis.

He deserves all our support as he closes in on double figures.

We're all rooting for you Bill, you can do it!

Billy's gone a good few posts now without mentioning the Nazis.

He deserves all our support as he closes in on double figures.

We're all rooting for you Bill, you can do it!

Bill, like myself, is one of the people around here grounded in reality. Unlike others.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Indeed. The elephant in the room, so to speak.

Another elephant in the room?! Getting pretty crowded in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement