Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Big difference though Al. Everyone has a household, only property owners have property....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Big difference though Al. Everyone has a household, only property owners have property....

And, as the legislation stipulates - it's a tax on ownership of said households - the properties in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

alastair wrote: »
    I've no problem with the name. They can call it whatever they want tbh.

A lot of us do.

And, as the legislation stipulates - it's a tax on ownership of said households - the properties in question.

should have got the name right then, doesnt instill a lot of confidence.....

dvpower wrote: »
    ... but little to do with the household charge. Wouldn't you be better off posting your views on the general economic situation in a more appropriate thread?
    That said, I'm at a loss to understand how raising less money narrows the deficit.

It has VERYTHING to do with the "household charge" DV - and you know it. We are borrowing €400m a week to fund day-to-day running costs. This includes local authorities which are, allegedly, starved of funding - because said funding is being used to prop up CS/PS wages and "entitlements", resulting is a deficit of €400m PER WEEK. AND THE REST OF US ARE BEING ASKED TO COUGH UP TO SUBSIDISE THIS.

No thanks.

You are, as usual, dancing around that same 400m hoping it will go away. It won't.

And much as you might wish it, I won't be heading anywhere else either my friend.;)

• Advertisement

lol freddie, are you reading my mind?

Indeed. But ole Al can't seem to grasp the hypocrisy here.

It all makes sense in his grand scheme - just as LA's passing property taxes from the left hand to the right, with whatever administration is involved - offers a saving in the deficit. You're failing to understand because you're in on the conspiracy.

You both are Al. Typical PS/CS much as you deny it. €400m a week being borrowed. Even if every household paid €500 in a property tax, it would raise €750m in a year. About a week and a half's borrowing for the PS/CS/SW gravy trains. Oh boy are they going to derail. And very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

if you believe that,how do you expect people to give money to a crowd that cant even get the name of the tax right?

Ah shur even if they came up with a name you liked, I'm sure you'd just find another reason to try to weasel out of paying your taxes.

Let me ask you this - is the USC a tax or not?

Why isn't there a "universal" "household charge"?:rolleyes:

Ah shur even if they came up with a name you liked, I'm sure you'd just find another reason to try to weasel out of paying your taxes.

Far from weaseling out, people are looking for.....what's that the Government bandy about........."fairness and equity".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Freddie59 wrote: »
    You both are Al. Typical PS/CS much as you deny it. €400m a week being borrowed. Even if every household paid €500 in a property tax, it would raise €750m in a year. About a week and a half's borrowing for the PS/CS/SW gravy trains. Oh boy are they going to derail. And very soon.

I know you are anti PS/CS and you have good reason no doubt, we have all seen the wastage in the past and currently. I still feel some people just want the PS/CS to be reduced to prove a point.
    I think SW should be reduced first, these people are getting money for doing nothing, the rest of us are working everyday.
    You have not said who will do the jobs if people are made redundant.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Far from weaseling out, people are looking for.....what's that the Government bandy about........."fairness and equity".

Well, we know what you consider 'fair and equitable' - cutting unemployment benefit by €5.5k a year rather than pay some additional tax yourself.

Keep on weaselling.

should have got the name right then, doesnt instill a lot of confidence.....

Where do you think they got the name wrong then?

Well, we know what you consider 'fair and equitable' - cutting unemployment benefit by €5.5k a year rather than pay some additional tax yourself.

Keep on weaselling.

Unemployment should be cut tbf, it's not a fair system at the moment when people who are working are worse of than people on the dole. Why should workers pay extra tax to fund people sitting home all day.

hondasam wrote: »
    Why should workers pay extra tax to fund people sitting home all day.

You're opposed to the very notion of a welfare system then?

Why should workers pay extra tax to fund people sitting home all day.

yeah, let them starve I say, less of a drain on the state.

You're opposed to the very notion of a welfare system then?

No I'm not but it's not supposed to finance the good life.
    yeah, let them starve I say, less of a drain on the state.

No not let them starve but not let them have a life of luxury either with everything handed to them on a plate. It should be reduced the longer you are on it.

No not let them starve but not let them have a life of luxury either with everything handed to them on a plate. It should be reduced the longer you are on it.

if your pal Freddie has his way, you'll be joining them shortly, hope you find it as luxurious as you imagine.

if your pal Freddie has his way, you'll be joining them shortly, hope you find it as luxurious as you imagine.

LOL I asked for that :D

We all know some people are happy to be on the dole with all the free perks including working a few days for cash, lets not pretend otherwise,not to mention the rent free accommodation that is then rented out to someone else. We all know the scams that is going on and it's about time it stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I've no problem with the name. They can call it whatever they want tbh.

As long as its not "poll tax"

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    As long as its not "poll tax"

It'd be a bit silly to call it that - given that it's not actually a poll tax, but sure. :rolleyes:

It'd be a bit silly to call it that - given that it's not actually a poll tax, but sure. :rolleyes:

Its not actually a household charge either, is it? If it was, householders would be liable, not just owners.

try and keep it civil francis. i dont weasel out of anything, i pay my taxes, i just wont pay a rent on my home that ive already paid for (with money that i already payed tax on).

try and keep it civil francis. i dont weasel out of anything, i pay my taxes, i just wont pay a rent on my home that ive already paid for (with money that i already payed tax on).
    i just wont pay a rent tax on my home that ive already paid for.

Fixed that for you there.

Where do you think they got the name wrong then?

calling it a household tax if its a property tax, would you call a dog licence a cat licence?

calling it a household tax if its a property tax, would you call a dog licence a cat licence?

Venn diagram time again?

This property tax is levied only on households. A subset of property is the household. As far as I'm aware, the cat is not a subset of the dog genus.

If there was a specific licence required for a poodle however, it would be both a poodle tax and a dog tax (the poodle being both a, eh, poodle, and a dog).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

The property tax on it's way will be levied on the same subset of the population - owners of houses. It's no different to the household charge in that respect. The waivers or exemption might shift, but not the principle of the tax. Both are property taxes.

I reckon you'll find by next year everyone, including renters and LA tenants will be in the governments sights.

Venn diagram time again?

This property tax is levied only on households. A subset of the larger property is the household. As far as I'm aware, the cat is not a subset of the dog genus.

Would you call an unoccupied house a household?

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I reckon you'll find by next year everyone, including renters and LA tenants will be in the governments sights.

What with the impending dictatorship and so on? It's terrible isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Did you ever pay the queen of england what you owe her?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement