Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Gonna call it a night now.
    Lads, if I go missing for the next while you'll know what happened.
    Keep her lit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I see myself as a protester, not a tax evader.
    But you are evading a lawful tax - making you a tax evader. You should just own it gerry - be proud of it.
    I pay every other tax I'm due to pay in this country except this one.
    You only evade some taxes. Understood.
    Do you not think calling someone on here a tax evader is a smear?
    Only if they aren't one. You are a tax evader. So its not a smear - just a fact.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Unbelievable that this thread is still going strong same people arguing all the time. Are ye on here 24/7 talking about the household charge surely you got better things to be doing especially over the long weekend!

Howya Donal.
    The golf was getting a bit boring today so I was just filling in time.
    Was a bit of craic though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Unbelievable that this thread is still going strong same people arguing all the time. Are ye on here 24/7 talking about the household charge surely you got better things to be doing especially over the long weekend!

A thats the busted leg for ye. Might as well be on here as lyin on the couch.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Attempting irony DV?

Don't - If you don't get it, it can't be explained. :rolleyes:
    Nah. I sometimes attack the poster too. But only gently, and only the crazy ones. :D

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Only if they aren't one. You are a tax evader. So its not a smear - just a fact.

Well you began this little debate about smearing, based on another poster, a poster who said he evaded the poll tax. No smearing there either then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Howya Donal.
    The golf was getting a bit boring today so I was just filling in time.
    Was a bit of craic though.....

Filling in a lot of time recently then on here all the time arguing about being too stingy to pay a measly hundred quid. Then others arguing you should pay it. Sure isn't it here to stay now and won't everyone end up paying it. Don't see what the argument is about anymore given the fact that the anti campaign failed completely

But you are evading a lawful tax - making you a tax evader. You should just own it gerry - be proud of it.

You only evade one tax. Understood.

Hi DV, My name is Gerry and I'm a tax evader.
    God that feels good.
    Thanks for the advice.

N.B. This is the only tax I don't pay in this country because in my opinion it is a discriminatory tax and as such should be resisted.

God that feels good.
    Thanks for the advice.

N.B. This is the only tax I don't pay in this country because in my opinion it is a discriminatory tax and as such should be resisted.

DV is going to heaven, you however, are doomed, along with half the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Filling in a lot of time recently then on here all the time arguing about being too stingy to pay a measly hundred quid. Then others arguing you should pay it. Sure isn't it here to stay now and won't everyone end up paying it. Don't see what the argument is about anymore given the fact that the anti campaign failed completely

Your post will give reason to argue awhile longer, we are not doing any harm to anyone, it's keeping us occupied.
    I think I will just pay the damn fee and be done with it, don't want people thinking I'm stingy.

• Advertisement

God that feels good.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Good on ye. That's step 1 of 12.
    There's a cure for you out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

hondasam wrote: »

Your post will give reason to argue awhile longer, we are not doing any harm to anyone, it's keeping us occupied.
    I think I will just pay the damn fee and be done with it, don't want people thinking I'm stingy.

I wouldn't let anyone influence your decision to pay the charge or not. You are more than capable of making that decision yourself.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    DV is going to heaven, you however, are doomed, along with half the country.

I'd rather be doomed than sanctimonious any day!

Good on ye. That's step 1 of 12.
    There's a cure for you out there.

I knew you would leave out the footnote there. Predictable!

Well you began this little debate about smearing, based on another poster, a poster who said he evaded the poll tax. No smearing there either then.
    As you know, the smear I referred to wasn't about the poll tax - alister himself introduced that information and was completely upfront about it.

I knew you would leave out the footnote there.
    Good prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

hondasam wrote: »

Christ! Dont let them get to ya! :(

As you know, the smear I referred to wasn't about the poll tax - alister himself introduced that information and was completely upfront about it.

Well then, it looks like he has no smear worries. Unless he has no balls and has to go for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I will in me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Well then, it looks like he has no smear worries. Unless he has no balls and has to go for a test.

Ye guys know the difference between evasion and avoidance, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Wild Bill wrote: »

I cite the Nazis as proof that such an argument is manifestly wrong.

Of course.
    The fact that you keep citing them every few posts doesn't mean you come across as a crazy loon at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Do you think this sounds like someone trying to avoid taxes?

alastair

Adverts | Friends
    Newly imported small van - DOE/NCT loophole
    I've just brought in a Nissan S-Cargo from the UK and will be VRT'ing it once the V5 arrives from Swansea.

It's a category B commercial as far as the VRT are concerned, below the 2 cubic metres cutoff for category C, but factory built without rear seatbelt posts, and, in this case rear porthole windows. 1500 engine.

Now, I'm curious about where to proceed from there. There's an advantage to taxing it privately, thus avoiding DOE testing, and because it's a van, it doesn't need to do the NCT either. I've read that previous S-Cargo imports fell into this loophole (along with a few small car-derived vans), and obviously the facility to avoid NCT tests would be a welcome one.

Can anyone who's been through these hoops let me know how they went about ensuring they fell between the two camps?

cheers.

Heh. You might note that I wasn't avoiding any taxes with the van. Nice stalking though - you must have a very full life! :rolleyes:

There happened to be a gap in testing for a time - neither the NCT or DOE were liable on certain small vans. No evading of anything was involved. The loophole was subsequently closed and it does an annual NCT now. It wasn't bought for avoiding the NCT, any more than my classic car was bought for avoiding the NCT (which it does).

So just to clarify for your stalking pleasure - unlike your tax evasion - this was an entirely legal situation - in complete compliance with the regulations laid out in this state at the time.

I've no smear worries from any stalker. I'm glad you got yourself excited for a time though.

alastair wrote: »
    Heh. You might note that I wasn't avoiding any taxes with the van. Nice stalking though - you must have a very full life! :rolleyes:

There happened to be a gap in testing for a time - neither the NCT or DOE were liable on certain small vans. No evading of anything was involved. The loophole was subsequently closed and it does an annual NCT now. It wasn't bought for avoiding the NCT, any more than my classic car was bought for avoiding the NCT (which it does).

So just to clarify for your stalking pleasure - unlike your tax evasion - this was an entirely legal situation - in complete compliance with the regulations laid out in this state at the time.

Caught solid.

Just like your poll tax evasion in the UK you've been shown up for what you are.

Regarding not having a very full life, I check into this forum now and again to see how it's going, nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand being on it for 18 hours every day evading questions like you evade your taxes would suggest it's you who hasn't got a very full life!

See ya, I'm off with the wife and kids for a day out. Now that's a full life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I havent and wont be paying until a court tries to force me. Ill resist as long as possible, weighing the balance of the consequences and gains as it goes.

I'm actually entitled to a waiver, but i refused to register as I believe it is a very unfair, and terrifying tax to introduce. I dislike, although agree, with raising taxes when needs be, but to introduce it on my home.
    A home which i worked hard for, payed for, and forked over plenty of taxes through its purchase. Its plain wrong.

The obvious reasoning behind this is that irish people have a strong affinity for thier homes. It's very culturally ingrained in alot of people, from all generations, that owning a home is a privledge and a mark of success. Our parents were always very proud to own a home, comes from the poor background of most irish parents. So people have bought homes for thier security of living standards.
    The goverment knows you cant ditch your home, so its coming right after something you've no choice to keep.
    I saved my money. I chose not to spend it frivilously while my friends and peers did. I never drove a nice car or bought anything flashy. I spent years working towards my buying my own 4 walls. So It is entirely unfair and demeaning to make me pay for the countries woes any more than my peers that spent thier earnings on short lived pleasures.

I feel it is far too invasive. I feel like its a demand thats walked right into my home. My place of sanctuary and personal space and tainted it. It's potential of growth is HUGE, this is why its only 100euro now, just to get the names and accounts set up. Now its going to turn into a bigger tax in 9 months..

Caught solid.

Just like your poll tax evasion in the UK you've been shown up for what you are.

Regarding not having a very full life, I check into this forum now and again to see how it's going, nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand being on it for 18 hours every day evading questions like you evade your taxes would suggest it's you who hasn't got a very full life!

See ya, I'm off with the wife and kids for a day out. Now that's a full life.

Let me break it down for you - because I know you're a stalker with a very limited comprehension.

I didn't evade any tax with the van.
    I didn't break any law with the registration of the van.
    The van wasn't liable for NCT testing.
    The van wasn't liable for DOE testing.
    Neither test centre would accept the van for testing - because it wasn't eligable.

What you think you've unearthed through your sad stalking efforts (nothing wrong with that - except revealing yourself as quite the saddo. Posting at 2.50 in the morning yesterday and then knocking off at 1.25 last night - your kids must love you on a holiday weekend) simply isn't the case. We end up with the stark reality that you're the law breaker here - you're the one evading your taxes - and no amount of rummaging through your posting history is needed to confirm that fact.

theTinker wrote: »
    The obvious reasoning behind this is that irish people have a strong affinity for thier homes. It's very culturally ingrained in alot of people, from all generations, that owning a home is a privledge and a mark of success. Our parents were always very proud to own a home, comes from the poor background of most irish parents. So people have bought homes for thier security of living standards

Your parents paid taxes on their home. Everyone paid rates up until the mid 70's. There's nothing unfair about property taxation - regardless of how attached to your gaff you might feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

What exactly do you believe my hypocrisy to be? Where did I say 'a tax was a tax'? I'm all ears.

1. You evaded tax in the UK on the premise that you didn't agree with it. And lecture others on here for doing similar.

2. You have consistently stated across this thread that the "household charge" is a tax.

I've no smear worries from any stalker.

No, just dont be fantasising about taxation, and it will go away.

• Advertisement

No, just dont be fantasising about taxation, and it will go away.

What - the stalking by saddos?
    Or your inability to distinguish tax compliance from tax evasion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement