Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Does anybody know how many are now claimed to be registered and paid?
    Also I'm surprised that non of the polloing companies has done a poll to see why people paid, as payment is being claimed the the Gov as agreement with the charge , or indeed patriotism.
    I oppose the charge and the manner in which it has been introduced, i paid but oppose it and hate the idea that by paying it I am being portrayed big Big Phil as "Patriotic" and in agreement with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

was wondering something similar,livid, but im sure its a similar figure to those that didnt pay and claim they did.
    as for Hogan, you know what samuel johnston said about patriotism.................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭sonic85

lividduck wrote: »
    Also I'm surprised that non of the polloing companies has done a poll to see why people paid, as payment is being claimed the the Gov as agreement with the charge , or indeed patriotism.
    I oppose the charge and the manner in which it has been introduced, i paid but oppose it and hate the idea that by paying it I am being portrayed big Big Phil as "Patriotic" and in agreement with it.

my household doesnt agree with this charge and hasnt paid. to be honest in my opinion you cant say i disagree with this charge but then pay it anyway. if you paid youre basically saying you agree with it.

just my opinion of course but id say most other people who didnt pay would feel the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

sonic85 wrote: »
    my household doesnt agree with this charge and hasnt paid. to be honest in my opinion you cant say i disagree with this charge but then pay it anyway. if you paid youre basically saying you agree with it.

just my opinion of course but id say most other people who didnt pay would feel the same
    Of course you can disagree with the law and obey it!
    people disagree with plenty of laws but reluctantly obey them, that doesn't mean that they are acting out of patriotism!
    I cannot believe that you are essentially arguing that everyone in this country who pays the TV licience agrees that it is just,fair, and set at an appropriate level!
    The reason i paid btw is that I foolishly listened to the anti bin charge people some years ago and refused to pay, when I sold my house in Ballinteer I had to pay a small fortune in upaid charges before the sale could go through, I learned my lesson the hard way, now i oppose things in other ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

lividduck wrote: »

Thats ridiculous. Charges aren't meant to be popular. What kind of mentler is going to pay money to Irish politicians and be happy about it?

My neighbours paid the charge and they don't agree with it or have any faith in the government that the money will be put to good use. They say they "just don't want the hassle of not paying it".

Lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,029 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

sonic85 wrote: »

Should it be open to each household to form a view on what laws they will abide by? Is that a sound basis for law and order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Should it be open to each household to form a view on what laws they will abide by? Is that a sound basis for law and order?

seems to work for some of the people making the laws DX...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

alastair wrote: »
    1. Yes I did - I told you about it - remember? I also pointed out that the poll tax was nothing like the household charge. Any confusion beyond this is your concern, not mine.

No confusion then Alastair. You decided not to pay the Poll Tax in the UK because you disagreed with it. Then came over an lectured the rest f us about doing the same. As I said already, zero credibility.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    seems to work for some of the people making the laws DX...........
    Indeed. One set for one lot and another set for the rest of us. And not just laws but business ethics and conditions.

The private sector, as always, subject to market conditions, efficiencies, and profitability.

The public Sector? Immune from all of it at the expense of the rest of us.

What a joke shop of a Government and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I was told yesterday that NAMA are renting office space from failed developer Johnny Ronan?

Is this country for real?? i mean seriously? The agency setup to get money back from him is actually paying him rent money?

The entire running of this country is a joke.

Another reason why i wont be giving more of my earned money to the wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Hijpo wrote: »
    I was told yesterday that NAMA are renting office space from failed developer Johnny Ronan?

Is this country for real?? i mean seriously? The agency setup to get money back from him is actually paying him rent money?

Yea, that's true.
    The big flash office building is owned by treasury holdings, johnny's company who's debt's were taken over by nama and nama are paying rent on the office space.

Bob Geldolf said it right, BANANA REPUBLIC / SEPTIC ISLE.

Have a read of this and see if it sounds familiar.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBanana_republic&ei=ZR6DT5XLL8i1hAeDoumcBw&usg=AFQjCNH8p_U52AflhKlvL-hhbTHT_8MhFA&sig2=VIjgPScTRCZpRJLTpjVT3A

• Registered Users Posts: 21,029 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Indeed. One set for one lot and another set for the rest of us. And not just laws but business ethics and conditions.

The private sector, as always, subject to market conditions, efficiencies, and profitability.

The public Sector? Immune from all of it at the expense of the rest of us.

What a joke shop of a Government and country.

You're waiting for it all to be fixed to your satisfaction before you obey the law. Or maybe that calamity which you keep predicting will engulf us all will happen next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Do you think that NAMA should only rent office space from landlords whose debts aren't on their books?

And should the NTMA have moved out of the Treasury Building when Treasury Holdings' debt was transferred to NAMA? :eek:

I don't think you've really thought it through.

Well, wtf are they renting it for at 20,000 a week?

Id rather government agencies didnt deal with scamsters, or are they looking after each other?

Are you ok with them giving a scammer your tax?

They also spent €825,000 to "make improvements" to Johnnys "newly built" premises.

Will ye ever wake up and open yer eyes to whats going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Well, wtf are they renting it for at 20,000 a week?
    Do you think 20k a week is too much? Why? What should they be paying for that office space, and why?
    Id rather government agencies didnt deal with scamsters, or are they looking after each other?
    So you do want the NTMA and NAMA to move out of the building, right?
    Do you also want every other state body to move out of office space that is with NAMA? That sounds a bit mad, doesn't it?
    Are you ok with them giving a scammer your tax?
    I wouldn't be happy with that at all.
    Are you under the impression that every developer whose debts are with NAMA is a scammer? Or just Johnny Ronan? Why?
    They also spent €825,000 to "make improvements" to Johnnys "newly built" premises.
    I presume fitting out costs for the NTMA and/or NAMA? That wouldn't be at all unusual. My own company leased some office space recently and spent a small fortune configuring the place to our requirements.
    Will ye ever wake up and open yer eyes to whats going on here.
    Angry poster spouting off without thinking stuff through. I can see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Has anyone else noticed how quiet it's gone here since some folks got banned:pac:
    A pity in a way..I've enjoyed this thread for a while now.While emotional sometimes:rolleyes:it was also very entertaining sometimes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

We all need a break for awhile, it's just going round in circles anyway but I enjoy it.

You're waiting for it all to be fixed to your satisfaction before you obey the law. Or maybe that calamity which you keep predicting will engulf us all will happen next week.

Tick tock. It's heading straight for you. And you don't even realise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

hondasam wrote: »
    We all need a break for awhile, it's just going round in circles anyway but I enjoy it.

Alastair and robbie defo need a break unreal two people can waffle for so long bout this little charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

dvpower wrote: »
    Do you think 20k a week is too much? Why? What should they be paying for that office space, and why?

Do you also want every other state body to move out of office space that is with NAMA? That sounds a bit mad, doesn't it?

Are you under the impression that every developer whose debts are with NAMA is a scammer? Or just Johnny Ronan? Why?

I presume fitting out costs for the NTMA and/or NAMA? That wouldn't be at all unusual. My own company leased some office space recently and spent a small fortune configuring the place to our requirements.

DV, we have 600 government quangos in this country!!....do we need them all?....explain to me why?...thanks in advance for your detailed reply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

donalg1 wrote: »
    Alastair and robbie defo need a break unreal two people can waffle for so long bout this little charge

we are all guilty of it tbf, it's not just those two.

it won't be little for long, it will increase by 500% to 1000% next year...or maybe more....and it certainly ain't little if you have difficulty scraping €100 together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    it won't be little for long, it will increase by 500% to 1000% next year...or maybe more....and it certainly ain't little if you have difficulty scraping €100 together

Speculation really saying it will increase by 500 or 1000 % next year so far nothing has been shown here to back this up. The property tax will obviously be more but until we know how it's calculated it's really all just speculation. I had difficulty getting the €100 together but managed it as I had three months to do it so wasn't too bad really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I disagreed with Alistair on everything he said but thats what made for good debate:(

yes i think 20k a week is to much to be giving a chap that your trying to get money from in the first place.

Well its obviously to late now, but why didnt they move into office space that they seized? there was only 200 or so employed by nama when it was set up, surely the government have office space for 200 until they had found a bigger seized property to move in and expand?
    you "wouldnt be happy"? you either are happy to give these people your money to squander or your not, this is actually happening as we speak its not some "what if" story dreamt up by conspiracy theorists. You do pay taxes dont you? are you happy with what its being spent on?
    No i dont think all nama debts are those of scammers, it would be wrong to presume so, but how do you run up 1.7bn in loans most of which have defaulted if your not scamming somebody?
    Its an office space, surely it was ready to accomodate offices? unless it was just a space and they had to fit it all out themselfs in which case whats the point in moving into a building that doesnt cater to your needs in the first place? 825k is reasonable? you wouldnt spend that if you were turning an abattoir into a creche.
    Had to get a little dig in didnt you :rolleyes:
    Speculation really saying it will increase by 500 or 1000 % next year
    I understand where your coming from that its all speculation, but i find it very difficult to trust this government and without them laying down exactly how much this will cost and how long it will be before they increase it and to what it will be increased by it just leaves to many doors open for them to do what they like.

Speculation really saying it will increase by 500 or 1000 % next year so far nothing has been shown here to back this up. The property tax will obviously be more but until we know how it's calculated it's really all just speculation. I had difficulty getting the €100 together but managed it as I had three months to do it so wasn't too bad really
    all speculation of course i agree. But look at it this way, if everyone paid this (i myself have not paid) then it would raise €160m....that is approximately 2 - 3 days deficit taken care of !!!...think about it, that is not what we are spending in 2/3 days, that is how much we are OVERSPENDING BY in 2/3 days!!!!!.....so we have to ask where do they (government) want to go with this?....why all this trouble for €160m?....
    ok, so if it went up to say €500 a year (there's your 500% increase) then that would raise €800m, a large amount of money but that would still only cover the overspend for 2 weeks !! ...so that leaves 50 weeks of deficit to be taken care of!!!....
    so once again we have to ask ourselves again, where do the government really want to go with this?....my opinion is that they would be looking at raising€1.5b - €2b annually from this!! ...they said they were looking for steady, reliable tax raising methods and this is one of them !!.
    all my opinion, but, would anything less really be worth the trouble, anger, hardship etc. that it will cause ??......and it is still only a drop in our ocean of debt.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 slapstick

how long till alastair is allowed out again ? i miss him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Phil Hogan is very quiet these days.

Has he run out of useless threats and absolute shyte talk then???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

paddy147 wrote: »
    Phil Hogan is very quiet these days.

Has he run out of useless threats and absolute shyte talk then???:D

Quiet until the fiscal treaty referendum is passed.
    Can't afford to annoy the natives too much until then.
    After that the craic will start.......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I cannot believe that the same posters (between bans) are still rehashing the same arguments after 13,000 posts!

What is the boards.ie record for a thread/topic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement