Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

donalg1 wrote: »
    What happens when the clock reaches zero

im guessing there will be plenty of excuses and reasons as to why it failed,(no heads will roll, naturally) then they will come up with some other harebrained scheme to extract money from us, (which i will pay because it doesnt involve a tax on my home), then you and me will be arguing the same side Donal :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

bgrizzley wrote: »

im guessing there will be plenty of excuses and reasons as to why it failed,(no heads will roll, naturally) then they will come up with some other harebrained scheme to extract money from us, (which i will pay because it doesnt involve a tax on my home), then you and me will be arguing the same side Donal :p

I don't think they are going to scrap the household charge even the most anti campaigners don't think that's gonna happen.

maybe, maybe not, but a week is a long time in politics, and who knows what those little rascals will get up to next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Its all moot now anyway, half(ish) the people in the country have taken a stand, countless more are unhappy at having being cooerced into a charge they didnt want and time is running out for the government.
    Tick, tock, tick tock.....

Chance of charge being abolished 0.00000000000% (unless u mean replaced by property tax).

Interest and penalties building up all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Chance of charge being abolished 0.00000000000% (unless u mean replaced by property tax).

But like I have said before.....more than happy to pay the penalties in order to make the Government's life as difficult as possible, and not roll over like a supine stooge as soon as I am asked to!! If it costs me an extra €42 to pay in a years time, so be it. That is less than a pint a month....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

steve9859 wrote: »

But like I have said before.....more than happy to pay the penalties in order to make the Government's life as difficult as possible, and not roll over like a supine stooge as soon as I am asked to!! If it costs me an extra €42 to pay in a years time, so be it. That is less than a pint a month....

You want to annoy the government by giving them more money than you have to. I don't think they'll mind too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A task force will be set up consisting of TD's friends and will be paid a fortune to find out why the charge was a failure.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You want to annoy the government by giving them more money than you have to. I don't think they'll mind too much.

Oh they will mind. They will mind a lot. Their bosses in Europe are watching the botch up i'd say and Angela is getting out her wee cane. Hold your hand out Enda.

i'm sure that 0.00000000000% percentage was used before for the Residential Property tax (1997 RIP) and domestic rates before it (1977 RIP). Never say never Francis..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Article by Stephen Donnelly TD on thejoural.ie
    Column: Why is the payment of €1.5bn to bondholders not news?

Today, while rural schools are threatened with the loss of teachers and new figures reveal that 200,000 children in Ireland are living in poverty, €1.5 billion has been paid over to anonymous, unsecured, unguaranteed senior bondholders at AIB.

That’s €1,100 per household in the country – or 11 times the Household Charge.

And the real tragedy is, this isn’t even ‘news’ (apart from on TheJournal).

Think of the acres of coverage given to the Household Charge. And yet there’s been hardly a murmur about this €1.5 billion bond payment. Why?

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/readme/column-why-is-the-payment-of-e1-5bn-to-bondholders-not-news/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

lugha wrote: »
    So a strict semantic interpretation of “before the deadline” should exclude the day of the deadline is now apparently evidence that we live in a banana republic! :eek:

Seriously, I don’t think the “no” side ever had much of an argument, but surely you can cobble together something better than this? :pac:

I'll post this again in case you missed it.

Apart from the 'politically unstable' bit does anything sound familiar?

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=banana%20republic&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBanana_republic&ei=HLWFT-OPDY2JhQfBs_HVCA&usg=AFQjCNH8p_U52AflhKlvL-hhbTHT_8MhFA

Slick50 wrote: »
    So now you want to start re-defining the english language to suit your point of view. The day of the deadline was Friday, I didn't write the legislation, but it clearly states before saturday 31st. Why all the crowing about how delighted they'll be to collect the extra revenue, and then fail to do so. As for evidence we live in a banana republic, this is just another example.

They can feed us sh*te, but they can't keep us in the dark all the time. I can feel an amnesty coming, "to give people a final opportunity".

Daddy? where have you been?

Yes, we shouldn't question any bullsh*te the "government" espouses, just swallow hard. But isn't that how we came to be "where we are".

This country is full of 'west brits', gutless people who will take any ****e thrown at them.
    Most of the pro tax, yes men on here work in the PS/CS and don't want their gravy taken away and that's why they pay now and will keep paying.

I've seen it in my own family, 2 who work in the PS paid up in full and 3 who work in the private sector didn't.

Gutless people who are in fear of what might happen if they were found not to be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I didn’t read all of your link. Perhaps you could help me out and tell me the paragraph where it suggests that when a government says a deadline is on a particular date rather than on or before that date then you’ve got yourself a banana republic?

Personally I'm quite happy with how things are proceeding - and when you say 'nothing is happening', that's not quite true.
    Interest and penalties are building up all the time now for the tax dodgers.

In time, as with most things, those too stupid or selfish to pay will subsidise those of us smart enough to avoid unnecessary expense.

I reckon my tax euro subsidises enough in this country.

Another interesting article for your perusal. looks like the game is almost up.

Number paying household levy slows.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0411/breaking57.html

I didn’t read all of your link. Perhaps you could help me out and tell me the paragraph where it suggests that when a government says a deadline is on a particular date rather than on or before that date then you’ve got yourself a banana republic?

Merely pointing out that Ireland is a 'banana republic'!

Sure, **** it. The fines aren't even €2 a week.......:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Personally I'm quite happy with how things are proceeding - and when you say 'nothing is happening', that's not quite true.
    Interest and penalties are building up all the time now for the tax dodgers.

In time, as with most things, those too stupid or selfish to pay will subsidise those of us smart enough to avoid unnecessary expense.

i'd say you'd be the type of person to change sides during a war when your side starts losing

we all be speaking german now if you had of been in chagre - "c1940- ah sure its inevitable old adolf is going win. lets just give in"

no idea of principals or morals from what i can see

Syllabus wrote: »
    i'd say you'd be the type of person to change sides during a war when your side starts losing

we all be speaking german now if you had of been in chagre - "c1940- ah sure its inevitable old adolf is going win. lets just give in"

no idea of principals or morals from what i can see

Maybe there's a bit of French in francis somewhere.
    Surrender early!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This country is full of 'west brits', gutless people who will take any ****e thrown at them.
    Most of the pro tax, yes men on here work in the PS/CS and don't want their gravy taken away and that's why they pay now and will keep paying.

I've seen it in my own family, 2 who work in the PS paid up in full and 3 who work in the private sector didn't.

Gutless people who are in fear of what might happen if they were found not to be paying.

I know loads who work in the P.S. who have not paid and won't. I play golf with a lot of them and they are using this protest because their wages were cut twice. Seriously.

• Advertisement

i'm sure that 0.00000000000% percentage was used before for the Residential Property tax (1997 RIP) and domestic rates before it (1977 RIP). Never say never Francis..:D
    In normal circumstances I think the no campaign might have succeeded in stopping this measure but we are not in normal circumstances. For all the shouting and roaring this is a relatively small measure amongst the many that already have been and will have to be taken.

If the government back down when confronted with the raggle taggle motley crew that make up the no side there is no chance that they will take on the rather more formidable opposition that are the public sector unions.

Anybody with enough political vision to see past their nose should see that a weakened government means adjustment in PS spending will be pushed back, possibly for years (I think Freddie might have the numbers on the impact that will have, if anyone wants to consult him. :))

Merely pointing out that Ireland is a 'banana republic'!
    Ah right. So nothing as such to do with my post that you quoted?

It's very simple really you should pay the charge because it's the law of the country not to pay it is illegal. What other argument is there?

i'm sure if you went through every law that has been passed over the last 100-150 yrs there would be some screamers in there. laws that are broken every day, possibly even by you, because they are ridiculous laws.

breaking the speed limit(for example but not limited to) is a law that you have DEFINITELY broken, yet you preach to us about laws.

you can't pick and choose what laws YOU deem worthy to follow anymore than i can.

I know loads who work in the P.S. who have not paid and won't. I play golf with a lot of them and they are using this protest because their wages were cut twice. Seriously.

Fair play to them tayto.

But I was saying that most of the yes men on here are PS/CS.

And before anyone gets on to me, including Sam, when I complain about the PS/CS, I'm aiming that at the ones who have their noses buried firmly in the trough!

Ah right. So nothing as such to do with my post that you quoted?

Someone else mentioned 'banana republic' and I showed you what a banana republic is. Jeeeeezzzzzz.......

In normal circumstances I think the no campaign might have succeeded in stopping this measure but we are not in normal circumstances. For all the shouting and roaring this is a relatively small measure amongst the many that already have been and will have to be taken.

If the government back down when confronted with the raggle taggle motley crew that make up the no side there is no chance that they will take on the rather more formidable opposition that are the public sector unions.

Anybody with enough political vision to see past their nose should see that a weakened government means adjustment in PS spending will be pushed back, possibly for years (I think Freddie might have the numbers on the impact that will have, if anyone wants to consult him. :))

that raggle taggle motley crew are half the people of this country and they deserve some respect Lugha

that raggle taggle motley crew are half the people of this country and they deserve some respect Lugha
    I don’t think it is disrespectful, there is considerable variety in the no ranks. And there will be a lot fewer than 50% when the dust settles.

Anyway, I think I will save my respect for those who are not so arrogant to think that they are above the law. (It would appear the spirit of old FF lives on :)).

you may have a point about the variety but im sure the same could be said for both sides.
    but while you are thinking about arrogance and people who think they are above the law remember Phil who said he would change the data protection Law to collect the household charge

and dont forget Alan who told half the electorate "to get a life"

Also dont forget the lady who showed the people what Fine Gael really though of them

http://www.donegaldaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ApbZWNnCIAAANdb.jpg

I don’t think it is disrespectful, there is considerable variety in the no ranks. And there will be a lot fewer than 50% when the dust settles.

Anyway, I think I will save my respect for those who are not so arrogant to think that they are above the law. (It would appear the spirit of old FF lives on :)).

so then the 'yes' side are a raggle taggle motley crew too then. or is there no variety in the yes ranks:confused: all leather driving glove wearing indo readers:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not half of the people, a bit less than half of private property owners. The very group the raggle taggle motley crew will be coming after with their wealth tax if they get the chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement