Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

jluv wrote: »
    And believe it or not I have been a law abiding citizen to this point.I am willing to accept whatever consequences this may bring due to my choice.However I cannot sit quietly and pay what I feel is a discriminatory,bogus tax.

Non payment will make no difference, if we all gave everything the debt and it's interest would still be there, like pissing in the ocean ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Basically it boils down to Hogan wanting us to pay rent on something we own. He should be opposed on this at every turn and I'm delighted the arrogant fcuker had to run for cover in Carlow yesterday, on the same day too that 1.5 Billion was paid to AIB bond-holders.

Fine Gael and Labour have shown themselves to be an utterly spineless bunch when it comes the bankers, but have no problem imposing losses on the Irish populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Going back a bit. You responded within four minutes claiming knowledge of what the French property tax pays for. I decided to do a little research.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0124/1224310672329.html

In addition to the two main household taxes, there are smaller levies and charges that local authorities can use to generate income for specific services. These include a rubbish collection tax (calculated from the notional rental value of your home) and a street cleaning tax (based mainly on the type of street). Households also pay for the water they use. Rates vary from region to region, but they are calculated via water meters installed in houses and apartment buildings. The system is usually managed by private companies, and their involvement in local water provision has been a source of controversy.

All that and they pay LESS overall taxes than we do ??
    And they get good services unlike us.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

All that and they pay LESS overall taxes than we do ??
    And they get good services unlike us.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe

dont forget they have more holidays, earlier retirement age and a longer life expectancy.
    im fcukin movin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

bgrizzley wrote: »
    but can you really say that all the Yes voters here are doing so for the good of the country. there are no self serving interests among them?
    Not for the good of the country per se. The vast majority of us, no side included (I hope!), abide by the law the vast majority of the time. Because that is what you do in a civilised society. You need a very good reason (something in the ball park of human rights infringement) to justify purposefully disregarding the laws of society.

Even if the no sides arguments were irrefutable, this issue is a relatively mundane one in the realm of tax collection. It most certainly does not justify breaking the law IMO.

If you permit people to break this law because they think it unfair then where do you draw the line? What other mundane laws can people be permitted to break provided they personally and genuinely believe they are justified in doing so?

Can I damage your car and simply drive off if I believe you were to blame for parking it improperly? Can a politician pocket a bribe if he was already committed to supporting the briber's project and so no favour was bought, hence no corruption? If you permit a la carte attitudes to abiding by the law for mundane matters then where do you draw the line? Slippery slope.

As to self serving interests amongst the yes side, I would be fascinated to hear any reason why someone might abide by the law and pay this charge, but only do so for ulterior motives???

• Advertisement

lugha wrote: »
    Not for the good of the country per se. The vast majority of us, no side included (I hope!), abide by the law the vast majority of the time. Because that is what you do in a civilised society. You need a very good reason (something in the ball park of human rights infringement) to justify purposefully disregarding the laws of society.

Even if the no sides arguments were irrefutable, this issue is a relatively mundane one in the realm of tax collection. It most certainly does not justify breaking the law IMO.

If you permit people to break this law because they think it unfair then where do you draw the line? What other mundane laws can people be permitted to break provided they personally and genuinely believe they are justified in doing so?

Can I damage your car and simply drive off if I believe you were to blame for parking it improperly? Can a politician pocket a bribe if he was already committed to supporting the briber's project and so no favour was bought, hence no corruption? If you permit a la carte attitudes to abiding by the law for mundane matters then where do you draw the line? Slippery slope.

As to self serving interests amongst the yes side, I would be fascinated to hear any reason why someone might abide by the law and pay this charge, but only do so for ulterior motives???

All good points, when you are talking about a handful of people breaking a law, but when half of the people speak, in whatever manner and for whatever reasons, a wise government would listen to them and rethink their law, not come out with statements like "get a life". The amount of people opposed to this make it something, the government seriously need to rethink. They are making themselves look like weak, and they have a lot more arduous tasks ahead of them than a E2 per week tax.

As for your last question, i was more refering voters in the thread. My apologies for not being more clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

dont forget they have more holidays, earlier retirement age and a longer life expectancy.
    im fcukin movin there.

Great, one less free-loader.

Along with the extra holidays, earlier retirement age and a longer life expectancy, ask them if their population density of nearly double Ireland's might have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

im fcukin movin there.

You'll enjoy living near a nuclear reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

All good points, when you are talking about a handful of people breaking a law, but when half of the people speak, in whatever manner and for whatever reasons, a wise government would listen to them and rethink their law, not come out with statements like "get a life". The amount of people opposed to this make it something, the government seriously need to rethink. They are making themselves look like weak, and they have a lot more arduous tasks ahead of them than a E2 per week tax.

As for your last question, i was more refering voters in the thread. My apologies for not being more clear.

I don't understand the logic here at all. So, if it was a minority of people not paying the tax, then you consider the posters point valid, but because a large number of people are refusing to pay the tax ... then what? Because a larger number say they're not paying it, then that makes the refusal more ethical?

but when half of the people speak, in whatever manner and for whatever reasons, a wise government would listen to them and rethink their law
    Again, you come out with the implication that half the people are opposed to this charge and disregard those whose motives are less than principled. And of course in addition to the cohorts I mentioned earlier there is probably a sizable number of people in the “wait and see” category. All in all, the genuine opposition to this tax is IMO, closer to 0 than it is to 50%. We will know eventually when we see the number of people prepared to pay court fines.

Which isn’t to say that a substantial number of people do not like, or want, this tax. But I think you would get much the same opposition to any tax if it needed the cooperation of the people to be introduced. If the register of TV licence holders or the motor tax database were destroyed and the government had to seek cooperation from the people in recompiling them, do you really think they wouldn’t have a similar struggle on their hands as they do with the HHC? People are opposing this charge because they can, not (in most cases) because of any fundamental reasons.

BTW, a spurious comparison has been made between those that are refusing to pay this charge and those that opposed apartheid in SA. Here is another spurious one. If you think it is wise for a government to abandon a plan when half of the population are opposed to it, presumably you would have advised the British government to abandon any plans to introduce equality for nationalists in Northern Ireland, given that more than half the population would have opposed such a move? :)

Anyway, I don’t think you have addressed my substantial point. If you permit an a la carte attitude to the law for mundane issues such as tax collection, whether it’s a few or a lot who are doing so, then where, and indeed how, do you draw the line? I don’t think anyone on the no side has satisfactorily addresses this. The just say: “well I think this particular law is unfair so I am not going to abide by it”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

This is too long, boring, pointless and boring: close thread please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Again, you come out with the implication that half the people are opposed to this charge and disregard those whose motives are less than principled. And of course in addition to the cohorts I mentioned earlier there is probably a sizable number of people in the “wait and see” category. All in all, the genuine opposition to this tax is IMO, closer to 0 than it is to 50%. We will know eventually when we see the number of people prepared to pay court fines.

Which isn’t to say that a substantial number of people do not like, or want, this tax. But I think you would get much the same opposition to any tax if it needed the cooperation of the people to be introduced. If the register of TV licence holders or the motor tax database were destroyed and the government had to seek cooperation from the people in recompiling them, do you really think they wouldn’t have a similar struggle on their hands as they do with the HHC? People are opposing this charge because they can, not (in most cases) because of any fundamental reasons.

BTW, a spurious comparison has been made between those that are refusing to pay this charge and those that opposed apartheid in SA. Here is another spurious one. If you think it is wise for a government to abandon a plan when half of the population are opposed to it, presumably you would have advised the British government to abandon any plans to introduce equality for nationalists in Northern Ireland, given that more than half the population would have opposed such a move? :)

Anyway, I don’t think you have addressed my substantial point. If you permit an a la carte attitude to the law for mundane issues such as tax collection, whether it’s a few or a lot who are doing so, then where, and indeed how, do you draw the line? I don’t think anyone on the no side has satisfactorily addresses this. The just say: “well I think this particular law is unfair so I am not going to abide by it

The issues in Northern Ireland were caused by a blatant disregard for Human Rights, together with opposing political ideologies.
    How does this equate to the Irish people opposing a particular tax, in some cases combined with a (justifiable, imo) demand for accountability from our Government?

Your speculations might have some merit, if people had refused to pay any additional taxes, or accept any paycuts. Since that has not occurred - (apart from on the part of some Government Ministers, ironically) then one has to draw the conclusion that the opposition is to this tax.

Great, one less free-loader.

Along with the extra holidays, earlier retirement age and a longer life expectancy, ask them if their population density of nearly double Ireland's might have anything to do with it.

Francis, you are always losing when you are calling people names . try arguing your point instead.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Syllabus wrote: »
    donalg1 wrote: »
    It's very simple really you should pay the charge because it's the law of the country not to pay it is illegal. What other argument is there?

i'm sure if you went through every law that has been passed over the last 100-150 yrs there would be some screamers in there. laws that are broken every day, possibly even by you, because they are ridiculous laws.

breaking the speed limit(for example but not limited to) is a law that you have DEFINITELY broken, yet you preach to us about laws.

you can't pick and choose what laws YOU deem worthy to follow anymore than i can.

But apparently people can pick and choose what laws they want to break though. This is about the household charge and my point was by not paying it your breaking the law and I don't think I can pick and choose what laws I want to abide or what ones I want to ignore because breaking them benefits me.

It's like I break into someone's house and steal from them, then leave them a note saying I chose not to abide by the law that says I can't steal from you because it benefits me and I think it's a stupid law anyway.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    The issues in Northern Ireland were caused by a blatant disregard for Human Rights, together with opposing political ideologies.

How does this equate to the Irish people opposing a particular tax, in some cases combined with a (justifiable, imo) demand for accountability from our Government?

I did say I was making a spurious comparison. I agree that a struggle for basic rights is not a suitable benchmark against which a mundane tax matter should be compared. But would you agree that the attempts of some on the no side to liken their campaign to the struggle against apartheid is equally silly? That was the point I was making. (Though the NI situation does illustrate that a majority opposing something does not necessarily mean that they are right)

As to a “demand for accountability”? I can’t recall anyone on the no side suggesting this was a major, or even minor, issue. It strikes me as a rather vague demand where every aspect of how the government does its business must be to your satisfaction before you will obey the law.
    Your speculations might have some merit, if people had refused to pay any additional taxes, or accept any paycuts.
    True, people did have to endure cuts in income and services, at considerable pain to many. But we still have a massive deficit which simply has to be eliminated. And that will be done by a combination of new / higher taxes and charges and cuts in public spending. What other solution is there?
    apart from on the part of some Government Ministers, ironically
    Government ministers did have their pay cut. The complaint against Phil Hogan is that he did not so do voluntarily. In fact the only people I know off who did take a voluntary pay cut and return the money to the exchequer were politicians.

i didnt disregard it, i said whatever their motives, i cant answer for everyone who say no any more than you can answer for all of the yes side.

like i said before you can oppose any tax in this country by not paying it, people do it every day(for greed mainly) this is a E2 pw tax . [/QUOTE]
    i didnt make the comparison, and no i wouldnt. i wouldnt advice the british government anything, im not paying their wages :D
    Anyway, I don’t think you have addressed my substantial point. If you permit an a la carte attitude to the law for mundane issues such as tax collection, whether it’s a few or a lot who are doing so, then where, and indeed how, do you draw the line? I don’t think anyone on the no side has satisfactorily addresses this. The just say: “well I think this particular law is unfair so I am not going to abide by it”

duly noted, but whats mundane to you seems to be very important to a substantial portion of the population.

if you dont mind me asking Lugha, what would be a tax too far for you? what would be the final straw?

You'll enjoy living near a nuclear reactor.

whats wrong with nuclear reactors? cheap, clean, energy when run properly. or do i detect a bit of nimby?:)

But apparently people can pick and choose what laws they want to break though. This is about the household charge and my point was by not paying it your breaking the law and I don't think I can pick and choose what laws I want to abide or what ones I want to ignore because breaking them benefits me.

It's like I break into someone's house and steal from them, then leave them a note saying I chose not to abide by the law that says I can't steal from you because it benefits me and I think it's a stupid law anyway.

Would you write that down on a wee bit of paper and sign it before I shoot you just inside my window :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Would you write that down on a wee bit of paper and sign it before I shoot you just inside my window :D

I could shoot you either and just put a footnote down saying I don't believe in that law either!!

Lugha

Government ministers did have their pay cut. The complaint against Phil Hogan is that he did not so do voluntarily. In fact the only people I know off who did take a voluntary pay cut and return the money to the exchequer were politicians.

Then they all gave themselves sneaky rises in allowances to make up for it and told nobody, laundry etc
    Salaries and expenses

Basic Salary: €92,672[3]
    Mobile Phone Allowance: A maximum of €750 every 18 months[citation needed]
    Constituency Office maintenance allowance: €8,888.17[citation needed]
    Constituency Travel Allowance: ranging from €2,475 to €8,782 depending on size of constituency[citation needed]
    Daily Allowance: €61.53 for members who live within 24 km of Leinster House[citation needed]
    Miscellaneous expense allowance: €5,489.08[citation needed]

Ministers get even more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The IMF have absolutely so authority whatsoever in Ireland.
    :D Ah ya gotta laugh at the sheer naivety of it. And Gerry, the Government may have no choice in taking on the Unions. Much the same was said pre-Thatcher. And look what happened there.

Ruairi Quinn's comments in recent days as much as confirm so:

"Mr Quinn pointed out that almost 80 per cent of the current budget in education was allocated to pay and pensions. This Government had protected education as much as it could, he said. Far greater reductions in the number of public servants were being made in other sectors relative to those in schools. But there were limits on the number of teaching posts we could afford."

Interestingly, these same unions are doing little to get teachers onto the employment ladder, by remaining strangely mute about retired teachers being allowed continue to teach - thus preventing their younger counterparts from being employed. Ah the ole PS gravy train........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice to see our €100 will be used wisely (apart from mine-still won't pay)
    A BOROUGH councillor has described the behaviour of some of his peers as “appalling”, “disrespectful” and “unprofessional”, at the recent meeting of the Council; as “stroke politics” dominated proceedings over issues.

Each month members of Wexford Borough Council receive €277.63 for attending a meeting which usually lasts two hours.

At the recent meeting last week a wide range of issues were discussed in the first hour, but during the second hour there were councillors interrupting one another, finger pointing and political point scoring, with very little business done.

During a heated discussion on the household charge half way through the meeting, Fianna Fáil Cllr. Paddy Nolan said: “I am a great listener and my two ears are jumping off of my head tonight.”

Following this the meeting descended into farce as Cllr. George Lawlor put on a thick Northie accent, repeating: “What’s the situation?” to Cllr. Anthony Kelly as he attempted to speak on the motion he raised, after councillors from other parties rounded on him for hypocrisy on the issue. Independent Cllr. Padge Reck replied: “This is dreadful stuff! We can surely do better than this. Ring the bell and let’s go home.”

During a discussion concerning littering in the town, Independent Cllr. Reck went on to exclaim: “Valencia has scored for United,” referring to a development in the soccer match which was reaching its concluding stages, prompting a resigned Mayor David Hynes to roll his eyes and reply: “Let’s all finish up so we can look at it.”

The meeting frequently spun completely out of control after the Town Manager Adrian Doyle updated those in attendance in relation to some pertinent issues, with councillors pointing fingers and pens at one another, as politics came in the way of issues.

Fianna Fáil Cllr. Fergie Kehoe said serious issues were once again sidelined for the sake of party politics.

“We should all be working on behalf of the people. Serious issues need to be discussed. Councillors should be given enough time to raise issues and there should be respect from other councillors when they are raising motions. They shouldn’t be interrupted. It’s up to the Mayor to chair the meeting,” he said.

Cllr. Kehoe said he was surprised by the way the meeting often degenerated into a shouting match.

http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/eymhojmhoj/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

As to a “demand for accountability”? I can’t recall anyone on the no side suggesting this was a major, or even minor, issue. It strikes me as a rather vague demand where every aspect of how the government does its business must be to your satisfaction before you will obey the law..

That issue has been brought up repeatedly.
    People have complained about various "gravy trains", quangos, waste,government advisers, etc.
    All the things that the Government promised to tackle - and didn't.

True, people did have to endure cuts in income and services, at considerable pain to many. But we still have a massive deficit which simply has to be eliminated. And that will be done by a combination of new / higher taxes and charges and cuts in public spending. What other solution is there?

I will pay a higher rate of tax. (I already pay for bins, fire brigade etc.
    Don't have a public park or Library).
    I will pay more for discretionary public services. I accept that the Country is in a mess - though not the "We are all responsible" line.
    I do not accept a tax on my home. Nor do I accept a lien against it.

I am also using this as a protest against the arrogant, domineering attitude of some Government ministers.
    They need to understand that the are the servants of the people - not their overlords.

IMO, if they fail to address the upsurge of anger about this tax - then they will certainly weaken themselves.
    The people have given a very clear indication of their mood regarding this tax. It is up to the Government to address that.

I think you'd better check again. More than Phil Hogan refused to have their pay cut. Also, didn't some of the Judiciary accept voluntary pay cuts?

I have to go now. I have a Hospital appointment, followed by a couple of hours work.
    It might be tomorrow before I can get back to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just another example of where the "household charge" is being spent. Bit of history first. Waterford City needs to expand on the North Side of the Suir, and many new housing estates were built in land controlled by Kilkenny CoCo.

Because of the housing being built, a boundary extension was sought. The reaction was straight of of Kilnascully. A shopping centre was built in the area. It is finished for three years without being occupied.

The shopping Centre is literally 20 yards away from the City boundary, and is, for all intents and purposes, a part of Waterford City. Kilkenny CoCo are going to open a Library there at a cost of €780,000.

Now, the main Waterford City Library is around 1.5 miles away (and on a bus route). The Library will be the only occupant of the Ferrybank Shopping Centre for the foreseeable future. So these are the "local services" being spoken of.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lugha
    The IMF have absolutely so authority whatsoever in Ireland.

That is the same point Joe Costello was nearly laughed out of the Tonight with Vincent Brown studio for making only last night. He says it's Labour's way ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

The Household Charge is Time-Limited. i.e. It's the fore-runner to a Property tax in 2013, so has a live span of 12 months. Additionally, any 'charges/fines' that accrue are also time-limited. 12 years. So after 12 years, those fines/charges cannot be levied. As the Household tax will be replaced in 2013, it's a one-year tax.

The excercise here was to compile a database with a view to a Property tax. Disguising it as an 'door' to a new Property Tax rather than telling us it was information-gathering, tells you what the Politicians think of the Public.

Unfortunately for Politicians, in this day-and-age, the Public are more educated, more questioning, and less likely to accept the unacceptable from the likes of Phil Hogan. And even less likely to 'comply' with the bullying tactics of Paul McSweeney (whose remit incidentially is the supply of IT services basically to Government agencies, and not to act as a lapdog for Phil Hogan)

blowtorch wrote: »
    The Household Charge is Time-Limited. i.e. It's the fore-runner to a Property tax in 2013, so has a live span of 12 months. Additionally, any 'charges/fines' that accrue are also time-limited. 12 years. So after 12 years, those fines/charges cannot be levied. As the Household tax will be replaced in 2013, it's a one-year tax.

The excercise here was to compile a database with a view to a Property tax. Disguising it as an 'door' to a new Property Tax rather than telling us it was information-gathering, tells you what the Politicians think of the Public.

Unfortunately for Politicians, in this day-and-age, the Public are more educated, more questioning, and less likely to accept the unacceptable from the likes of Phil Hogan. And even less likely to 'comply' with the bullying tactics of Paul McSweeney (whose remit incidentially is the supply of IT services basically to Government agencies, and not to act as a lapdog for Phil Hogan)

And lapdog he is with his scaremongering and lies. Obviously selected by Hogan for that purpose too. Jaysus i hate bullies.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic here at all. So, if it was a minority of people not paying the tax, then you consider the posters point valid, but because a large number of people are refusing to pay the tax ... then what? Because a larger number say they're not paying it, then that makes the refusal more ethical?

no, i dont care if its one or a million people, if someone considers something unfair they should stand against it (maybe they are wrong maybe they are right, thats up to you to decide)
    i'm just saying that the gubbernment may be able to give the finger to a few protesters but they do so at their peril with the numbers here.(not to mention the people that have paid under duress but are very unhappy about it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

They never extended the deadlines, the deadline for signing up for Direct Debit and the deadline for paying through the post, online or at the LA were always different deadlines

They did extend the deadline. The deadline was 'BEFORE' March 31st, yet the LA offices were accepting payment ON 31st March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

blowtorch wrote: »
    They did extend the deadline. The deadline was 'BEFORE' March 31st, yet the LA offices were accepting payment ON 31st March.

This is from the Explanatory Notes with the legislation. It doesn't say BEFORE.

Liability for the household charge will be at a point in time
    basis (i.e. 1 January in each calendar year) to be known as the
    ‘‘liability date’’. Owners of residential property will have until 31
    March in which to pay the household charge through an on-line
    system by credit/debit card, or by post, by cheque or postal order,
    etc. to the LGMA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement