Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Then they all gave themselves sneaky rises in allowances to make up for it and told nobody, laundry etc
    Can you demonstrate that their expense allowances were increased AFTER their pay was cut and that these increases offset their pay loss? Thanks.
    Jaysus i hate bullies.
    As do we all. Happily the bullies in this case are just a figment of your imagination. :D

Freddie59 wrote: »
    :D Ah ya gotta laugh at the sheer naivety of it.
    Semantics Freddie. There is a difference between influence and authority. The IMF certainly have the former in our affairs, they do not have the latter. They may dictate when and how PS matters will be addressed but it WILL be the government who do the implementing.

BTW, why do you expect the IMF will be in any rush to sort out the PS given that the more we borrow from them, the more interest they will make on those loans?

BTW 2, had you a chance to devise an answer to my question as to what you would have done about the 20 billion deficit? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Interestingly, these same unions are doing little to get teachers onto the employment ladder, by remaining strangely mute about retired teachers being allowed continue to teach - thus preventing their younger counterparts from being employed. Ah the ole PS gravy train........

Ok the retirement scheme implemented by the government meant people leaving under this had to do so by the end of march, but the school year runs until when?

Removing a teacher from a JC class or LC class a few months prior to their exams might be considered what?

Im not going to tell you the answer I know you can figure this one out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

"Over 900,000 households have now registered to pay the €100 household charge, latest figures show."

Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0413/breaking29.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

This is from the Explanatory Notes with the legislation. It doesn't say BEFORE.

Liability for the household charge will be at a point in time
    basis (i.e. 1 January in each calendar year) to be known as the
    ‘‘liability date’’. Owners of residential property will have until 31
    March in which to pay the household charge through an on-line
    system by credit/debit card, or by post, by cheque or postal order,
    etc. to the LGMA.

So much for the information they were giving the public then ? The ACT says one thing, and the information they send / advertise says another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

donalg1 wrote: »

It's like I break into someone's house and steal from them, then leave them a note saying I chose not to abide by the law that says I can't steal from you because it benefits me and I think it's a stupid law anyway.

Hardly the same thing now Donal is it?

bgrizzley wrote: »
    whats wrong with nuclear reactors? cheap, clean, energy when run properly. or do i detect a bit of nimby?:)

Jesus no!
    Imagine the Irish public service running a nuclear reactor.
    Armageddon!!!

tigger123 wrote: »
    "Over 900,000 households have not registered to pay the €100 household charge, latest figures show."

Fixed that for you.
    Some figures would suggest that over 1.8 million households are liable for this discriminatory tax so that's not even 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

"Over 900,000 households have now registered to pay the €100 household charge, latest figures show."

Misleading headline - 'Over 900000 registered to pay....' when in fact the article says over 900000 'registered'. There are exemptions.

On another note though. http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/HousingStatistics/

The XLS link

From what I can make out, Up to end 2010 there were in excess of 128,000 housing units controlled by the Local Authorities. Members of those 128000+ households (and the figure is probably more at end 2011) are exempt from the Household Charge (yet I'd think they use the same 'services' that house-owners use). The LA's don't have to register those properties as far as I can gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ok the retirement scheme implemented by the government meant people leaving under this had to do so by the end of march, but the school year runs until when?

Removing a teacher from a JC class or LC class a few months prior to their exams might be considered what?

Im not going to tell you the answer I know you can figure this one out for yourself.

Rubbish Robbie. That's only once facet of it. I've seen a Primary School principal retire - only to be called back to cover for a sick teacher a couple of weeks later. As I said - great thought for teachers starting out.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

lugha wrote: »
    Semantics Freddie. There is a difference between influence and authority. The IMF certainly have the former in our affairs, they do not have the latter. They may dictate when and how PS matters will be addressed but it WILL be the government who do the implementing.

BTW, why do you expect the IMF will be in any rush to sort out the PS given that the more we borrow from them, the more interest they will make on those loans?

BTW 2, had you a chance to devise an answer to my question as to what you would have done about the 20 billion deficit? ;)

Reality Lugha.. The IMF are running the show. And will do so for a long time to come. The government are their lapdog. I think that photo on Inda with Sarkozy said it all. They haven't really bared their teeth yet. But they will.

I've told the answer several times over - if a collapse of income happened in a private sector company, there would be immediate redundancies and swinging pay cuts. And "allowances" would be a thing of the past.

Apparently, the Public Sector appears to think that it is immune from all this for some reason or other.:rolleyes:

The real world is a very different place. Welcome to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Reported on Newstalk that over 8000 people registered and paid yesterday alone.

Looks like my previous prediction of 80% compliance within 3 years was overly pessimistic.

Then it will be a relatively simple matter to make an example of some of the remaining hardcore tax dodgers and free loaders.

The rest will soon fall into line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Looks like my previous prediction of 80% compliance within 3 years was overly pessimistic.

Then it will be a relatively simple matter to make an example of some of the remaining hardcore tax dodgers and free loaders.

The rest will soon fall into line

Jesus, and some people keep tellin me the nazis ain't trying to run the show in Ireland?

Ghandee wrote: »
    Jesus, and some people keep tellin me the nazis ain't trying to run the show in Ireland?

Wow.

Nazi insults.

Looks like your moral high-horse just bolted.

Lol, according to this shiite, deadline hasn't passed yet.....

May 31st according to the Irish times, the pinnacle of extreme right views on economic matters.

You'd think someone would proof read for them FFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I find it ironic that because I am not a tax dodger or a freeloader I am now expected to pay a charge, that real tax dodgers and freeloaders who have already benefitted from my tax compliance ,are exempt from:confused:

jluv wrote: »
    I find it ironic that because I am not a tax dodger or a freeloader I am now expected to pay a charge, that real tax dodgers and freeloaders who have already benefitted from my tax compliance ,are exempt from:confused:

Why don't you write a song about it Alainis?

Noreen1 wrote: »
    That issue has been brought up repeatedly.
    People have complained about various "gravy trains", quangos, waste,government advisers, etc.
    All the things that the Government promised to tackle - and didn't.

I am also using this as a protest against the arrogant, domineering attitude of some Government ministers.
    They need to understand that the are the servants of the people - not their overlords.

All of this would seem to confirm what I said, that the protest is as much or more about kicking the government as it is about the HHC itself. I would suggest that people use the ballot box to express their dissatisfaction with the government.
    I do not accept a tax on my home.

This is evoking the argument that there is something fundamentally abhorrent about a household charge / property tax. The difficulty here is that it is difficult to make a convincing case for this stance when most other countries have such a charge.

I am not saying we simply ape what others do, but the fact that this is a routine charge elsewhere would suggest that it only appears abhorrent because people are not used to it. We will get a similar line when the water charge is brought in (“Sure it never stops raining in Ireland FFS!”)
    IMO, if they fail to address the upsurge of anger about this tax - then they will certainly weaken themselves.

I don’t see a middle ground. They either crack on with this charge or they abandon it. And if the latter happens they will probably become a lame duck government. Not good for anyone! :( (well , except the PS unions, terrific result for them!)
    The people have given a very clear indication of their mood regarding this tax. It is up to the Government to address that.

I don’t think it is clear. The no side like to say half (and falling!) of the people are opposed. But that makes very strong assumptions as to why people did not register.
    I think you'd better check again. More than Phil Hogan refused to have their pay cut.

I did not suggest that he was the only one. I am pointing out that that the cut Phil refused to take was a voluntary one which virtually no one other than some politicians (and you are right, some of the judiciary) took.

The IMF are running the show. And will do so for a long time to come. The government are their lapdog.

This is not the point of disagreement between us. What you say is substantially the case. However, it will be the government and not the IMF who must implement the change. I think the IMF will be more or less content to indicate the net result they want and leave the details of how to achieve that to the government. And a weak government will make that task more difficult

If you insist that the IMF have authority in Ireland why is it big Phil and not Christine La Garde, or one of her delegates, implementing the HHC?
    I've told the answer several times over - if a collapse of income happened in a private sector company, there would be immediate redundancies and swinging pay cuts. And "allowances" would be a thing of the past.

Indeed you did tell us all, far more than several times! :) But that is not what I asked you. I asked how would you have dealt with the 20 billion deficit that emerged 4 years ago? Would have had no IMF / ECB as part of the solution and gone for an instant correction? And if yes, do you think the economy would survive that kind of impact?

And you didn’t address my question as to why everyone thinks the IMF will “sort out” the PS. And it is a genuine question. It would seem to me that the IMF would be fairly happy to let that little train run for as long as possible? No doubt I am missing something? :cool:

Why don't you write a song about it Alainis?
    Because I find nothing inspiring about the situation.
    However someone with a name not too unlike yours did sing a song called "All the lies that you told me":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jluv wrote: »
    And believe it or not I have been a law abiding citizen to this point.I am willing to accept whatever consequences this may bring due to my choice.However I cannot sit quietly and pay what I feel is a discriminatory,bogus tax.

Sure why not burn down a few hospitals and say you did it because you don't agree with the law banning murder. If we all start jumping on the civil disobedience bandwagon, we'll get nowhere. Look at Greece.

The government have made a huge mess of this, granted, and yes it's a silly and unfair tax. But that's only my opinion and they are the democratically elected government. The PEOPLE gave them the power to make laws on our behalf and it's not like a property tax was a big secret before they ran for office.

And as for Joan Collins TD and others encouraging people to break the law - this should warrant IMMEDIATE dismissal from her job. A parliamentarian beign allowed to walk the streets encouraging people to ignore the laws made by the house in which she sits is a recipe for anarchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

sdeire wrote: »
    Sure why not burn down a few hospitals and say you did it because you don't agree with the law banning murder. If we all start jumping on the civil disobedience bandwagon, we'll get nowhere. Look at Greece.

The government have made a huge mess of this, granted, and yes it's a silly and unfair tax. But that's only my opinion and they are the democratically elected government. The PEOPLE gave them the power to make laws on our behalf and it's not like a property tax was a big secret before they ran for office.

And as for Joan Collins TD and others encouraging people to break the law - this should warrant IMMEDIATE dismissal from her job. A parliamentarian beign allowed to walk the streets encouraging people to ignore the laws made by the house in which she sits is a recipe for anarchy.

we wouldnt even be a Republic if everyone thought like that, bad law is bad law.

Murder=household charge:confused:
    Paying tax is a law which was always there.The people did not elect politicians that they expected to try to introduce anything in an underhanded way.I know property taxes are coming. It's the unfair system that they have put in place to get this registration is what I oppose.
    And I just want to set the record straight by saying I have weighed up this decision by myself. I have not been influenced by anyone else.
    This tax has put (IMO) an upstanding,previously unquestioning tax paying citizen in a very compromising situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I have not paid and I will not either and they can take that to the bank :mad:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

She was elected to represent her constituents, not just blindly follow orders and never question measures brought in by the sitting government. There are enough politicians blindly toeing the party line as it is.

I wish there were more like her, frankly.

Eh?

Burn down a hospital because murders are banned:confused:

The pro tax crowd were doing ok before your input.

Trust me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Ghandee wrote: »
    Eh?

Burn down a hospital because murders are banned:confused:

The pro tax crowd were doing ok before your input.

Trust me:rolleyes:

Says the man with the Nazi insults :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Have those who paid received a receipt?

• Advertisement

Says the men with the Nazi insults :rolleyes:

If it sounds like one, it might be one.

After all, you did refer to me as a sexist not so long ago Francie.
    Would you care to elaborate on that one?

That is all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement