Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ghandee wrote: »
    If it sounds like one, it might be one.

After all, you did refer to me as a sexist not so long ago Francie.
    Would you care to elaborate on that one?

That is all.

We're all aware of your sexism, I'm surprised you want to air your dirty linen in public again. Probably feeling brave now other thread has been locked?
    I may have called people tax dodgers, free loaders and spoofers, but to compare posters to a regime that murdered millions of people is a bit much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

tigger123 wrote: »
    "Over 900,000 households have now registered to pay the €100 household charge, latest figures show."

Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0413/breaking29.html
    Yes, I am sure people are so adamant to pay and are queuing up in their droves now that the deadline has passed.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am sure people are so adamant to pay and are queuing up in their droves now that the deadline has passed.:rolleyes:

Seems to be no shortage willing to pay the charge and the late payment fee all right. The more late payment fees the better, it subsidises those of us who paid on time.

Tick, tock, tick, tock.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jluv wrote: »
    I find it ironic that because I am not a tax dodger or a freeloader I am now expected to pay a charge, that real tax dodgers and freeloaders who have already benefitted from my tax compliance ,are exempt from:confused:

A point sadly glossed over by Government propagandists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Reported on Newstalk that over 8000 people registered and paid yesterday alone.

Looks like my previous prediction of 80% compliance within 3 years was overly pessimistic.

Then it will be a relatively simple matter to make an example of some of the remaining hardcore tax dodgers and free loaders.

The rest will soon fall into line.

Would that make you happy? Ah, the glee!!

You must have a really sad life if you spend most of your time on here trying to get people to pay more discriminatory taxes.

Sad, very sad indeed.

• Advertisement

jluv wrote: »
    I find it ironic that because I am not a tax dodger or a freeloader I am now expected to pay a charge, that real tax dodgers and freeloaders who have already benefitted from my tax compliance ,are exempt from:confused:

Well said!

But the pro taxers on here don't mind that, we'll just keep pouring the gravy for them!

They'll have to do without this €100 though.

Seems to be no shortage willing to pay the charge and the late payment fee all right. The more late payment fees the better, it subsidises those of us who paid on time.

Sure we subsidise your very existence frannie!
    You should be thanking us not slagging us off!

lugha wrote: »
    This is not the point of disagreement between us. What you say is substantially the case. However, it will be the government and not the IMF who must implement the change. I think the IMF will be more or less content to indicate the net result they want and leave the details of how to achieve that to the government. And a weak government will make that task more difficult

Puppets, lugha, puppets.:)
    If you insist that the IMF have authority in Ireland why is it big Phil and not Christine La Garde, or one of her delegates, implementing the HHC?

I refer you to the answer above.
    Indeed you did tell us all, far more than several times! :) But that is not what I asked you. I asked how would you have dealt with the 20 billion deficit that emerged 4 years ago? Would have had no IMF / ECB as part of the solution and gone for an instant correction? And if yes, do you think the economy would survive that kind of impact?

Can the economy survive 400m a week borrowings? Economics would dictate no. As I already explained, expenditure cannot exceed income. This is basic stuff Lugha. It's going to happen. It's only a case of when.
    And you didn’t address my question as to why everyone thinks the IMF will “sort out” the PS. And it is a genuine question. It would seem to me that the IMF would be fairly happy to let that little train run for as long as possible? No doubt I am missing something? :cool:

Yes. You're missing lots!:D I don't care who they are - NO-ONE will keep funding us to the tune of €400m a week. That train will derail. And very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There was some discussion on the other thread about Sinn Fein operating a property tax (domestic rates) in the North while opposing it here. There is no reason for Ireland to have a property tax just because most other countries do but where a political party is operating in two different countries and holds opposite positions in both it is worth asking why. I still say I am getting a better deal compared to my neighbour in Co Armagh in the Sinn Fein dominated Newry and Mourne district. I pay €280 for refuse collection and €100 property tax while he pays £2100 domestic rates. There is a librabry and parks in my locality and the roads are in better condition than around places like Camlough and Newtownhamilton. I have never paid for any service except refuse collection. And we must be the only country in the world which had a property tax (domestic rates) and did away with it.

If anyone is depending on Sinn Fein to do away with property tax after 2016 (in a Fianna Fail Sinn Fein coalition) forget about it. They are enthuastic tax collectors in the North and would be the same here. And domestic rates in the North are a property tax, it is stated by the representative of the body charged with collecting them in this podcast at just after 18 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/oyb

Domestic rates are a tax on ownership and occupation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

I have never paid for any service except refuse collection.

yes you have, and are, paying well for those services.
    Income tax, prsi, usc, income levy, vat, excise, vrt, stamp duty, business rates, tv licence, motor tax, cgt, dirt, credit cards tax, plastic bag tax, nppr, dog licence, and whatever else ive forgotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Can the economy survive 400m a week borrowings? Economics would dictate no. As I already explained, expenditure cannot exceed income.

Yes, that very neatly summarises what the problem is and why it has to be resolved. My question to you relates to how the problem should be solved and what if any are the risks with your particular solution.

So once again, would you have gone for an instant 20 billion adjustment to the economy when the crisis began and are satisfied that this would not have done substantially more harm than good? I don’t think you have thought your solution through, you just keep telling is what the problem is and why is needs to be solved but are shy on details, or rather the consequences, of your particular solution.

You are like a farmer whose virtuous and productive private sector crops are being ravaged by the parasitic and unproductive public sector weeds. So Farmer Freddie is going to take action.

FF: “We can’t continue as we are with 400 new weeds appearing every week. The problem must be tackled”

Agreed.

FF: “If I get me some weed killer and go to work on your wasteful public sector ass, the weed problem will be soon fixed”

Well yes, but have you thought your solution through?

FF: “We simply cannot continue with 400 new weeds appearing every week!”

But is there not a possible side effect to your particular solution. I.e. the impact on your virtuous crops?

FF: “How long so you think we can tolerate 400 new weeds appearing every week!”

Ah right......

So how are things with you Freddie?

FF: “rant rant rant 400 EVERY week”

And the wife and family?

Do you think Trap will start Shane Long up front this Summer?

:)

BTW Can I congratulate yourself and your fellow Waterford patriots for your cheering guard of honour in the Deise last night for Kilkenny’s finest, big Phil! You must be very proud! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bgrizzley wrote: »
    yes you have, and are, paying well for those services.
    Income tax, prsi, usc, income levy, vat, excise, vrt, stamp duty, business rates, tv licence, motor tax, cgt, dirt, credit cards tax, plastic bag tax, nppr, dog licence, and whatever else ive forgotten

I never paid NPPR, I have only one house. You seem to be confusing income tax and VAT etc with property taxes and service charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Can the economy survive 400m a week borrowings? Economics would dictate no.
    Sorry, what rule is this?

What is a sustainable level of borrowing according to "economics", in your view. Because I've been searching for this information for most of my adult life and I'm very excited to think that you have the solution.

She was elected to represent her constituents, not just blindly follow orders and never question measures brought in by the sitting government. There are enough politicians blindly toeing the party line as it is.

I wish there were more like her, frankly.

I don’t think anyone expects an opposition TD to “never question measures brought in by the sitting government”. Indeed her job is precisely the opposite; as the label suggest, she should oppose. Constructive opposition would be nice but we don’t tend to get that in Ireland, from any political party it should be said.

However, I think any opposition should have an overall plan to deal with any problem and some of us are not convinced that those in the ULA really do have a plan.

The oppose any further burden (taxes or cuts) being placed on the people (public or private sector) as the “crisis was not their fault”. So the IMF / ECB will be sent off with their tail between their legs.

So what do we do about our massive budget deficit? How do we replace the massive volume of money that was around during the unprecedented building bubble? Presumably, they don’t favour re-inflating the bubble so they opt instead for the tried and tested solution (that never works!), tax the rich!

But lets suppose they are going to try to make it work. They won’t be getting much by taxing cash deposits as they will be gone out of the country before you can say “eat the rich” once such a tax is proposed.

So instead they will have to try to tax the assets that cannot be moved; you know, like property. Hey, lets introduce a property tax! Oh wait, there agin that too! :(

If you are impressed by everything a politician has to say on every aspect of any particular issue then I would say you are listening to a spoofer.

As a general rule for a politician in government I think you should be opposed to about half or more of everything they do! If they are more popular than that then they are almost certainly not doing their job properly. Granted Bertie Ahern did get over 50% approval ratings as Taoiseach at times but that was achieved by pursuing populist rather then sensible policies. And I think we can agree that that did not end well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

I don't believe in coincidence. The financial crisis was deliberately started to speed up a process that has been planned for many years.

Parts of it are globalisation to get all the world economies into a big net, so a crisis in for example europe has an effect on the asian economy as well and the introduction of the Euro to weaken the dollar as the worlds favourite reserve fund.

The road will lead to a one world government,one world currency and the elimination of cash so the banks can control the flow of funds all around the globe.

The only problem is that the people are slowly waking up and try to pull down the curtain with the man behind it (the wizard of oz) so they're getting into the next gear. Google indect,eurogenfor and ndaa if you want to know more.

For me I think behind it are the bilderberg group and the club of rome.

There's a lot more that has been done while the people were watching coronation street and eastenders and nobody ever watched the left hand while things were done with the right hand. All I can say is all big events in history (JFK assassination,cold war,9/11,oil price rise,fukushima,iran) are pieces in the big puzzle.

We're being lied to and spied on by our own governments only to squeeze more taxes out of us,wipe out the middle class and widen the gap between rich and poor. All to comfort the top 1%. Enough is enough ! We have to rise and soon or all our children will have left is being slave to the rich and a depleted planet !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Ironbar wrote: »
    I don't believe in coincidence. The financial crisis was deliberately started to speed up a process that has been planned for many years.

Parts of it are globalisation to get all the world economies into a big net, so a crisis in for example europe has an effect on the asian economy as well and the introduction of the Euro to weaken the dollar as the worlds favourite reserve fund.

The road will lead to a one world government,one world currency and the elimination of cash so the banks can control the flow of funds all around the globe.

The only problem is that the people are slowly waking up and try to pull down the curtain with the man behind it (the wizard of oz) so they're getting into the next gear. Google indect,eurogenfor and ndaa if you want to know more.

For me I think behind it are the bilderberg group and the club of rome.

There's a lot more that has been done while the people were watching coronation street and eastenders and nobody ever watched the left hand while things were done with the right hand. All I can say is all big events in history (JFK assassination,cold war,9/11,oil price rise,fukushima,iran) are pieces in the big puzzle.

We're being lied to and spied on by our own governments only to squeeze more taxes out of us,wipe out the middle class and widen the gap between rich and poor. All to comfort the top 1%. Enough is enough ! We have to rise and soon or all our children will have left is being slave to the rich and a depleted planet !

I really wish we had a facepalm smiley face thing.

@ tigger 123

Stay asleep and eat the lies you're being fed.......:)

BTW: Sweden are already in the process of getting rid of cash....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

@ tigger 123

Stay asleep and eat the lies you're being fed.......:)

Do yourself a favour and stop believing everything you read/watch on the internet :)

Anyway we're derailing the thread ... unless FG are part of the Bilderber Group?!

It's ok, I think The Hunger Games is only a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't believe in coincidence. The financial crisis was deliberately started to sAll I can say is all big events in history (JFK assassination,cold war,9/11,oil price rise,fukushima,iran) are pieces in the big puzzle.
    How deliciously clandestine!

I love the way you just shift in here, dressed in the metaphorical garb of the conspiracy theorist, whispering some very vague, outrageous claims -- but seemingly can't stick around to provide evidence.

Probably for the best.

The Bilderberg group are probably monitoring us.

PS. Enda Kenny is a reptile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How exactly does it subsidise you? What a foolish statement.

Can some one confirm if they issue a receipt?

OMG.....no wonder so many coughed up the money believing every BS the mainstream media and the corrupt politicians tell them. Good night Ireland, I thought you had balls...

BTW: I'm german and don't even believe the BS in the german mainstream media

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Can some one confirm if they issue a receipt?
    I got an email receipt immediately after paying if that's what you mean?

Are you thinking of coming over to our side?:pac:

Yes, that very neatly summarises what the problem is and why it has to be resolved. My question to you relates to how the problem should be solved and what if any are the risks with your particular solution.

So once again, would you have gone for an instant 20 billion adjustment to the economy when the crisis began and are satisfied that this would not have done substantially more harm than good? I don’t think you have thought your solution through, you just keep telling is what the problem is and why is needs to be solved but are shy on details, or rather the consequences, of your particular solution.

You are like a farmer whose virtuous and productive private sector crops are being ravaged by the parasitic and unproductive public sector weeds. So Farmer Freddie is going to take action.

FF: “We can’t continue as we are with 400 new weeds appearing every week. The problem must be tackled”

Agreed.

FF: “If I get me some weed killer and go to work on your wasteful public sector ass, the weed problem will be soon fixed”

Well yes, but have you thought your solution through?

FF: “We simply cannot continue with 400 new weeds appearing every week!”

But is there not a possible side effect to your particular solution. I.e. the impact on your virtuous crops?

FF: “How long so you think we can tolerate 400 new weeds appearing every week!”

Ah right......

So how are things with you Freddie?

And the wife and family?

Do you think Trap will start Shane Long up front this Summer?

:)

BTW Can I congratulate yourself and your fellow Waterford patriots for your cheering guard of honour in the Deise last night for Kilkenny’s finest, big Phil! You must be very proud! :pac:

Well, considering its a FG/Lab "council" operating a Mayoral pact its not really surprising. Some of us aren't down in the gutter with them.:)

That €400m:) a week sticks in your craw - doesn't it? Delighted that it's so.:D

Much as you and yours want to dance around it, there is no escaping it. You - and people like you - have been asked how log that this country can sustain it. You cannot answer - because you know what the outcome is going to be very shortly.

A withdrawal of part - or the majority of - that funding. Which is being borrowed to keep one section of the population in the luxury to which they have become accustomed (and feel that they are "entitled to") in some strange way. And which the rest of us are expected to pay for through inane attempts like the "household charge".

I like your example of the parasites attacking the crops though. Couldn't have put it better myself.:)

later12 wrote: »
    Sorry, what rule is this?

What is a sustainable level of borrowing according to "economics", in your view. Because I've been searching for this information for most of my adult life and I'm very excited to think that you have the solution.

So you are saying that the country can keep on borrowing - ad infinitum - €400m a week. I certainly hope you're not working in Financial Services , or - Heaven help us all, any financial sector of the government. In most cases a sustainable level of borrowing would not exceed your income's ability to repay. As is the case in Ireland at the present time.

I got an email receipt immediately after paying if that's what you mean?

Are you thinking of coming over to our side?:pac:

Cheers.

What side? I pay my taxes and I collect VAT for the government.

So you are saying that the country can keep on borrowing - ad infinitum - €400m a week. I certainly hope you're not working in Financial Services , or - Heaven help us all, any financial sector of the government. In most cases a sustainable level of borrowing would not exceed your income's ability to repay. As is the case in Ireland at the present time.

I think he asked you a straighforward question.

You going to answer it or keep trying to deflect?

I've also asked you a question.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What side? I pay my taxes and I collect VAT for the government.
    You know, our side. The tax-loving, no balls, no spine, pro-discrimination, scare mongering, bullying, government shill (insert the rest yourself) side?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement