Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not much to do in the country side

• 31-03-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

so if you live in the country side and don't drive there really isn't much for you to do if your not into the gaa or drinking.

How do you past time by living in the country

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

You could count sheep??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Which country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Fapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

KeithM89 wrote: »
    You could count sheep??

You could combine my suggestion with yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

KeithM89 wrote: »
    You could count sheep??

does "count " involve back legs and wellies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hiking, shooting, fishing, cycling, running, photography, nature-watching, cooking, so on and so forth. If you live in the country and are bored, you've got to get outside and do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

boring people get bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Cow Tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

cena wrote: »
    so if you live in the country side and don't drive there really isn't much for you to do if your not into the gaa or drinking.

Indeed you are right. There is NOTHING outside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hiking, shooting, fishing, cycling, running, photography, nature-watching, cooking, so on and so forth. If you live in the country and are bored, you've got to get outside and do something.
    When you've the weather of course.

I grew up in a country-ish area - "rurban" I guess. Built-up parts with housing estates and amenities, but close to fields and woods too. I found myself spending more time in town (Cork) during the winter - really remote, faraway countryside strikes me as pretty grim in bad weather.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    When you've the weather of course.

I grew up in a country-ish area - "rurban" I guess. Built-up parts with housing estates and amenities, but close to fields and woods too. I found myself spending more time in town (Cork) during the winter - really remote, faraway countryside strikes me as pretty grim in bad weather.

Nah, throw on a coat and away out and do the same things. :) I spent several hours one day last January numb to the waist from sitting in snow in the mountains outside Killarney National Park. Was hunting deer but spent that time watching one of the white tailed sea eagles hunting the same clearing I was on the edge of. Weather was harsh, but the experience was phenomenal. Being bored is a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's a long time since I've actually seen a sexy sheep in the flesh.
    Used to see a few nice wooly ones over the winter and then they'd shave their wool for spring and look quite lean and hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Someone of keen mind is never bored, regardless of the circumstances.

Boredom is the refuge of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Having lived in a town for a few years I'm thrilled to be back living in the country.
    Everyone knows everyone else but you still get privacy & peace.
    I walk a good bit, even when the weather is bad all I have to do is throw on a pair of wellies & wet gear & I don't get looked at like I'm a weirdo. Try doing that in a town & you would be amazed by the amount of fat arse lazy fcukers that drive past you & think you have a want because you're out & about.
    Also I plan on starting my vegetable garden this year so that will keep me busy.
    I honestly think I'd have a breakdown if I had to live in a town or city again.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

There's loads to do if you really want to:

bus to Dublin/Cork/Galway/Limerick
    heroin
    emigrate
    zoophilia
    incest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

You could count the cow pats................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I completely agree with you and its the number 1 thing I dislike about living in the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Having lived in a town for a few years I'm thrilled to be back living in the country.
    I walk a good bit, even when the weather is bad all I have to do is throw on a pair of wellies & wet gear & I don't get looked at like I'm a weirdo. Try doing that in a town & you would be amazed by the amount of fat arse lazy fcukers that drive past you & think you have a want because you're out & about.
    Also I plan on starting my vegetable garden this year so that will keep me busy.

Where I live you don't have privacy. Its like gossip central around here

forfuxsake wrote: »

heroin
    emigrate
    zoophilia
    incest

That cost a fair bit to get a bus. Look at new york get the train from brooklyn to the city for 2 dollars 50 cent.

heroin
    emigrate
    zoophilia
    incest
    That cost a fair bit to get a bus. Look at new york get the train from brooklyn to the city for 2 dollars 50 cent.

Fair enough

• Advertisement

Where I live you don't have privacy. Its like gossip central around here
    Ah yeah, well its kinda like that where I am but I don't really give a fcuk :)
    At least I can have a blazing row with my boyfriend & the neighbours can't hear.
    I can walk around the house naked without the fear of anyone looking in the window.
    There's no such thing as chuggers or religious fanatics looking to convert me to whatever it is they believe in.
    And there's the usual eagle eyed neighbours watching out for shifty characters so thankfully break ins tend to be a very rare occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

internets

At least I can have a blazing row with my boyfriend & the neighbours can't hear.
    I can walk around the house naked without the fear of anyone looking in the window.
    There's no such thing as chuggers or religious fanatics looking to convert me to whatever it is they believe in.
    And there's the usual eagle eyed neighbours watching out for shifty characters so thankfully break ins tend to be a very rare occurrence.

hmmm

I really like people to keep there nose out of my business

Not if you have a house attached to your house.

hmmm
    If they can see across a thirty acre field, through a window & can see me in my birthday suit then they deserve to perve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

You could make utensils/furniture/clothing out of various wildlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'm considering moving to the country but I don't want to live somewhere that's too isolated in case I find myself in a Padraig Nally type situation.

If they can see across a thirty acre field, through a window & can see me in my birthday suit then they deserve to perve :)

Are binoculars allowed?
    Will ye still be wearing the stripey socks?

Just i case it ever ends up in court.

Wattle wrote: »
    I'm considering moving to the country but I don't want to live somewhere that's too isolated in case I find myself in a Padraig Nally type situation.

don't you'll have to drive every where

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

OP
    Is it the loneliness of it, all the suggestions above are fun, but better when done with other people.

I was on a caravan holiday years ago, but more a baby sitting one, for three desolate weeks in the arsehole of the empire, the unmapped regions. My uncle and auntie went to the pub at night leaving me and my cousin with no tele and a game of fukcen cluedo, we are both total world champion experts at cluedo. I couldn't wait to get back to the big smoke.

But now someday I would like to live in westcork but with-in driving distance of Cork.

Are binoculars allowed?
    Will ye still be wearing the stripey socks?

Just i case it ever ends up in court.
    Ha ha ha, I don't walk around the house naked on a regular basis.
    You get what I'm saying though.
    Living beside someone doesn't suit me. If we have a BBQ or a party it can get as loud as it wants without pissing anyone off. The few times we did have a party in town ended up with the neighbours giving us filthy looks for about a week after it.

44leto wrote: »
    OP
    Is it the loneliness of it, all the suggestions above are fun, but better when done with other people.

I was on a caravan holiday years ago, but more a baby sitting one, for three desolate week i the arsehole of the empire, the unmapped regions. My uncle and auntie went to the pub at night leaving me and my cousin with no tele and a game of fukcen cluedo we are both total world champion experts at cluedo. I couldn't wait to get back to the big smoke.

But now someday I would like to live in westcork but with-in driving distance of Cork.

It is a lonely place to live if you have no one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

help bring in the turf for gods sake.

Living beside someone doesn't suit me. If we have a BBQ or a party it can get as loud as it wants without pissing anyone off. The few times we did have a party in town ended up with the neighbours giving us filthy looks for about a week after it.

sorry didn't get past the first line!:mad:

saa wrote: »
    help bring in the turf for gods sake.

It makes a fire alright

• Advertisement

sorry didn't get past the first line!:mad:
    Well it's not really practical is it.
    The dog likes a crotch sniff & without clothes on it could get awkward.

I also realise I should have stopped posting about two posts ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

you said it for me

Hiking = walking outside
    Shooting = kill something
    Fishing = kill something
    Cycling= walking outside
    Running= walking outside
    Photography = walking outside with a camera
    Nature-watching= walking outside
    Cooking=cos you can't do that in the city.
    so on and so forth=run out of ideas

so walk(or bike if you're lazy, run if energetic) outside or kill something?

Hiking = walking outside
    Shooting = kill something
    Fishing = kill something
    Cycling= walking outside
    Running= walking outside
    Photography = walking outside with a camera
    Nature-watching= walking outside
    Cooking=cos you can't do that in the city.
    so on and so forth=run out of ideas

so walk(or bike if you're lazy, run if energetic) outside or kill something?

If you're that unimaginative, you're probably going to be boring and bored wherever you are. And see my sig regarding your absurdly simplistic conceptions of hunting and fishing, to say nothing of the other activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

To be honest we all just watch the grass and wait for the sweet embrace of death:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

John Doe1 wrote: »
    To be honest we all just watch the grass and wait for the sweet embrace of death:)

Ah the death notices. Where would we be without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

If I might be so bold, what much more is there to do in the city? Cinema sure. (Restaurants and pubs do exist in abundance in the countryside so Id block that one as exclusively city venture) Lets face it wherever we are most of us spend time with or without a partner engaged in tv, or on t'internet, or perhaps reading a book, studying, doing a crossword, cooking and eating food, exercising.
    It really seems to come down less to being bored by the activities of a place, and more so being uncomfortable with the number of people living in your surrounds. I'm originally from country area and I dont particularly like living in built up areas, and I know some people from built up areas find country areas lonely/creepy. But boredom? If you find yourself saying you're bored a lot thats probably just your own handiework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Have a blazing row and the neighbours don't hear it.
    Cast a fishing rod out of your window and catch that nights dinner.
    See the stars not just a smoggy sky.
    Leave your curtains open at night and not worry about police helicopter lights in your room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Fracking. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Dream about being in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Dream about being in Dublin!

Then move to Dublin and dream about being back again where everyone knows your name, done that, been there.. what's the next step emigrating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Salute everyone
    If you're walking you must salute every driver, if you drive you must salute every walker.
    It doesn't matter if you don't know them, you just have to salute, that's the rule
    If you see a farmer in a field in the tractor you need to give them a big wave

If you don't we'll be talking about you outside Mass and calling ya a snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Salute everyone
    If you're walking you must salute every driver, if you drive you must salute every walker.
    It doesn't matter if you don't know them, you just have to salute, that's the rule
    If you see a farmer in a field in the tractor you need to give them a big wave

If you don't we'll be talking about you outside Mass and calling ya a snob.

When driving, you must only raise one finger from the top of the steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

red menace wrote: »
    When driving, you must only raise one finger from the top of the steering wheel

Well a mexican wave from you and your passengers would be somewhat inappropriate no? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement