Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ever admit you're wrong on Boards?

• 31-03-2012 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

Does everyone on Boards insist on being persistent with their point 100%, or do any of you EVER admit that you might (hell forbid) be wrong? Or that the person you're arguing with might have a point?

And if not, why are people so afraid of admitting they might have got it wrong? Do you not think you'd be respected more rather than being an arrogant **** ?

It's not just on Boards, it's basically most of the internet. People who never admit they're wrong are idiots.

I wonder what the thanks-whoring first reply will be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

whirlpool wrote: »

No one will want to reply now.
    I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Oh yeah, I remember arguing with spongbob about some traffic minutae, always a mistake, and it turned out he was right and I was wro.. wrr... not right. Cheerfully admitted it then rubbed his face in the fact that my car was bigger than his, cos that's how we roll on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

No, because I'm never wrong....now shut up :pac:

Generally though, ya I can admit when I'm wrong, but I'm doggedly persistent in my arguments all the same (which isn't bad, I don't persist with false arguments).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

hondasam wrote: »
    No one will want to reply now.

Only if they're incapable of making a non-thanks-whoring post. Everyone knows what those posts look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is that really necessary?

Yes I do. Sometimes though, people can mistake not backing down when in an argument with someone who can barely support their argument, as refusing to admit being wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Dudess wrote: »
    Is that really necessary?

Well, I genuinely wondered it. And wanted it to be heard. So... yes? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

All the time, but that word is not in my vocabulary wroooonngggg or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i did once but i was mistaken

Only if they're incapable of making a non-thanks-whoring post. Everyone knows what those posts look like.

This ''Thanks'' business in AH's is getting really annoying,If you want to thank a post go ahead and do it and never mind what everyone else is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yep. Have stood down on a few arguments and felt totally out of my depth on others so just faded out of them - like this.

• Advertisement

Well, I genuinely wondered it. And wanted it to be heard. So... yes? :confused:
    Your snide "I wonder what the first thanks-whoring post will be"?

"Thanks-whoring" is largely in the head I reckon...

This ''Thanks'' business in AH's is getting really annoying,If you want to thank a post go ahead and do it and never mind what everyone else is doing.

What is your problem with it, you don't have to participate, you don't have to thank anyone. The first page will be taken up with them then it settles down.

Its the flavour of the site, you get the non serious first responses then the debate.

Will the OP admit he was wrong to put that line in his post. I think it may come across a bit different than what he meant.

44leto wrote: »
    What is your problem with it, you don't have to participate, you don't have to thank anyone. The first page will be taken up with them then it settles down.

Its the flavour of the site, you get the non serious first responses then the debate.
    Ya it would be altogether more boring if all the posts were 100% serious all of the time; there's a place for that, and it's generally not After Hours (though is not unwelcome here either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

:).............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.
    As the decent poster above says.

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong sometimes.
    Have admitted it loads a times on the forum and even thanked the posters that have set me straight.
    Why?
    I'd rather be told I was wrong in something than be allowed stew in stupidity continuously.

(Now I only stew in stupidity on a rare occasion!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I want to thank this post but then I'd feel like a Thanks-John.

Do Thanks Whores have Thanks Pimps? Is there a Thanks-Brothel where one can enjoy cheap laughs at popular internet memes and knee jerk reactionary responses? Do Whores of Easy Thanks walk the seedy streets purveying smart comments that play up on typos in passing cars? I have more Thanks than Posts, am I a Thanks Slut?

I fully agree but I'm not sure you quoted the right person, as she agrees with you.

The first reply often isn't a jokey one anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I could be wrong but I generally start posts with the words 'I could be wrong'. No need to admit you are wrong. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

The vast majority of what people argue about over the internet is just a declaration of their opinion. It's very hard to be wrong when all I'm doing is telling you how I feel about something.

Even in seemingly serious discussions, it's mostly just people posting different links, proving different things that may or may not actually be relevant to the actual discussion.

And, most of the time; the people arguing can't even agree what point they are arguing.

So, all that happens is a bunch of people waste a lot of time, posting their opinion and quoting the opinions of other people they agree with (confirmation bias) and making fun of (while dismissing) the points of other people.

If anyone was going to prove you wrong, by the time it happens, the thread is dead anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I generally start posts with the words 'I could be wrong'. No need to admit you are wrong. ever.

I could be wrong but that's an excellent reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Sometimes I don't even bother replying to a thread because I really couldn't be bothered getting into a debate. It takes to much thought and I usually just come on here for a bit of light entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong whether it be here or in the 'real' world.

Although luckily for me, being wrong is something I've yet to experience.

*grins smugly*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'll always admit I'm wrong, though I don't think I'm wrong too often, simply because I don't tend to get into debates on issues I don't know much about, especially where concrete facts and figures are involved.

I can understand why some people don't tend to back down in online arguments, as there isn't the pressure of someone contradicting you face to face. You'll also probably find someone else on the forum to back you up, even in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence.

Though of course, some people just don't like to admit they're wrong, online and in the real world.

I fully agree but I'm not sure you quoted the right person, as she agrees with you.

The first reply often isn't a jokey one anyway.

Yeah I see that now. I misinterpreted Hondasam's post. Thanks for pointing that out, apologies to Hondasam.

I suppose i am admitting to been wrong.

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong whether it be here or in the 'real' world.

Although luckily for me, being wrong is something I've yet to experience.

*grins smugly*

You are one of those ''Seldom right but never wrong'':pac:

Robdude wrote: »
    The vast majority of what people argue about over the internet is just a declaration of their opinion. It's very hard to be wrong when all I'm doing is telling you how I feel about something.

Even in seemingly serious discussions, it's mostly just people posting different links, proving different things that may or may not actually be relevant to the actual discussion.

And, most of the time; the people arguing can't even agree what point they are arguing.

So, all that happens is a bunch of people waste a lot of time, posting their opinion and quoting the opinions of other people they agree with (confirmation bias) and making fun of (while dismissing) the points of other people.

If anyone was going to prove you wrong, by the time it happens, the thread is dead anyway.
    I agree with much of that, though it's not always a matter of opinion; as the saying goes:
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Because being wrong in some people's eyes diminishes their sel worth. It makes them feel inferior when they want to feel superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I agree with much of that, though it's not always a matter of opinion; as the saying goes:
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

I ADMIT IT - I WAS WRONG!

:)

• Advertisement

Yeah I see that now. I misinterpreted Hondasam's post. Thanks for pointing that out, apologies to Hondasam.

I suppose i am admitting to been wrong.

No need to apologise, I did not take offence but Thank you :)

It's hard for some people to admit when they are wrong (not you) I respect anyone who will admit when they are in the wrong, It shows true character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I've been wrong on Boards plenty of times but the problem is that a lot of the people who point it out usually do it in a snidey, insulting, over the top way.

Robdude wrote: »
    I ADMIT IT - I WAS WRONG!

:)
    Yes I was considering adding a jab at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

You are one of those ''Seldom right but never wrong'':pac:
    :D Yeah, pretty much.

I'm much the same as The King of Moo on this. The chances of me getting caught out in a serious debate on here are virtually nil since I hardly ever participate in them.

The pub used to be the place to spout all manner of ill-informed guff without fear of being caught out, but fuc*ing smart phones have put the kibosh on that.

Wattle wrote: »
    I've been wrong on Boards plenty of times but the problem is that a lot of the people who point it out usually do it in a snidey, insulting, over the top way.
    Ya this is something I wonder a bit in my posts; I'm not insulting or snidey, but when I'm debating something I think my arguments come across a lot more forcefully than I realize.
    I like a good debate over an interesting topic, so possibly can be a bit too enthusiastic about it :)

One thing I do tend to reply a bit more forcefully with though, is posts where the other person is not just wrong, but are constructing ever-more-obfuscated arguments, to shield that they are wrong.

It's interesting; maybe it's just cognitive dissonance in a lot of cases, but so often the arguments are so complicated and cleverly constructed to hide or draw you away from the fault, that it's hard to see how they don't know.

EDIT: Actually, the worst cases of the above, are when someone is wrong, are shielding it, but do so on such a consistent basis whenever the topic comes up (e.g. Israel vs Palestine topic particularly), that it's impossible to see how they could honestly believe what they are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I wouldn't be on a mission to change anyone else's view, ah I think everyone is wrong occasionally, misinformed or changes their opinion slightly after reading the other side of the issue but a poster usually just leaves it at that and doesn't post again to say oh I was wrong on that.

Unless you're one of those boardsies who must hunt for a opinion that is different to theirs and then post about how right they are and constantly check and recheck threads to see if anyone has disagreed with them.

• Advertisement

Because being wrong in some people's eyes diminishes their sel worth. It makes them feel inferior when they want to feel superior.
    Do you admit when you're wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Actually, no. Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Always but never had to :-)

"I never apologise, I am sorry Lisa but that is the way I am": The great Homer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I apologise to ........, altho I did not agree with your attitude, I found myself jumping on board for arguments sake. I should have said what I thought and left it at that or better still left it alone.
    I, instead carried it on and made all the Stupid comments which in the end just became a standard joke .
    I was judgemental, petty and some of my comments were just plain mean and served no purpose in the long run.
    I think I need to look inside myself first because a lot of what ....... said, I am guilty of myself.
    I am sorry for being nasty and carrying things on when there was no need to other than provoke people and get MY point across. I know i know better.
    Looks like all the windows in my glass house are broken so I must go about mending them.__________________

This what we all should post when wrong :P;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Do you admit when you're wrong?

Yea most recently I admitted I was wrong about one direction. I was convinced we would slowly forget about them, now there number one in America, that's about as wrong as you can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Of course I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong. Don't know how it'll work, though, since it hasn't happened yet.

I've developed a kind of "sanity test" for replies to controversial threads: I'll write something then leave it for a short while and do something else. If I remember to come back, and if it still looks OK, I'll finish it and post it. If it looks wrong, I won't. And if I forget that I was going to post a reply and get caught up in something else, then it couldn't have been very important anyway, so I won't bother replying. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I regret certain posts I've made, I was often tired and emotional while posting.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Something on the famine and i was way over my depth .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I find most posters who have issues with what is posted by others are out for a good troll/ or are picking for a fight .... I enjoy a good balanced argument but many who get involved in such potentially enlightening debates are out to derail them....which is a pity but such is life online....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I think I did once. If I later think I´m wrong about something, I´ve no problem admitting it. Like many others I suspect, it just doesn´t happen that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

bicardi19 wrote: »
    Sometimes I don't even bother replying to a thread because I really couldn't be bothered getting into a debate. It takes to much thought and I usually just come on here for a bit of light entertainment.

I'm the same, I don't often get into debates on here nevermind heavy debates, I have my own views and I'm not bothered preaching to anyone, sometimes I'll type a reply and then think nah I cba getting involved with this and delete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Once i thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken

21/25

Advertisement