Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drunk driver suing victims family...After crash kills 4 people

• 31-03-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Drunk driver suing victims... after he pled guilty in the first place...

http://autos.aol.com/article/why-a-convicted-drunk-driver-is-suing-his-victims/?ncid=txtlnkusauto00000020
    In what many would call the biggest act of chutzpah of the last decade, a Florida man who pleaded guilty to committing DUI manslaughter in 2007 after police found drugs in his system is now filing a lawsuit against his dead victims for being the real cause of the accident.

David Belniak is apparently having second thoughts about his plea after spending a few years of a 12 year sentence behind bars. Belniak, who never spoke in his own defense during his trial, is being represented by his sister, an attorney, so legal fees are apparently not an issue.

Attorney Debra A. Tuomey, in making her brother's filing, said the Florida Highway Patrol's investigation of the case was a "government sanctioned assassination against one individual." Her suit suggests that the police and prosecutor's office were driven by Belniak's history as a DUI driver and convicted drug dealer rather than the facts of the accident .

According to the Tampa Bay Times, the lawsuit seeks to get the victims' relatives to pay Belniak, now 38, for his "pain and suffering ... mental anguish ... loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life" and the medical bills he got as a result of a crash he pleaded guilty to causing.

"This is ridiculous," Georgette DeFranco, 48, a relative of the victims, told the Times. "You caused it. You accepted guilt. How can I or anybody in this family be responsible for your injuries?"

DeFranco, the Times reported, lost her mother, Linda McWilliams, 66; her sister, Denise Bassi, 50; and her brother-in-law, Gerard Bassi, 51, in the crash. DeFranco's stepfather, Ray McWilliams, was injured but survived, but died last March at age 68 allegedly, in part, due to the after effects of the accident. The Bassi couple lived in Connecticut and were visiting Florida for the holidays.

Authorities said Belniak, at the time of the accident on Christmas day 2007, was driving between 75 and 85 mph when his pickup smashed into the back of McWilliams' Chevrolet Tahoe. The SUV crumpled. Gerard Bassi died at the scene. Denise Bassi died in surgery that day. Linda McWilliams was taken off life support a week later. Authorities said Belniak had alcohol, Xanax and evidence of cocaine in his system.

A record of drugs and bad driving

Belniak had a history of driving infractions, having faced DUI charges twice before, according to the Times. Belniak also served a previous prison term for possessing and trafficking GHB, commonly known as "the date rape drug."

So how could Belniak possibly be charging that the accident was the fault of the victim?
    The suit claims McWilliams was in the left turn lane and "because of his sheer negligence" McWilliams abruptly changed lanes, "making it impossible" for Belniak to avoid the collision. The suit also accuses McWilliams of "possibly" being under the influence of medication at the time of the crash.

Tuomey has said that her brother accepted a plea deal on the three counts of DUI manslaughter and other charges because he was facing a possible sentence of life in prison.

Maureen M. Deskins, the Tampa attorney representing the estate of Linda and Ray McWilliams, told the Tampa Bay Times the lawsuit is "gut-wrenching" and that the relatives are "stunned."

Anyone would be, especially given Belniak's history on top of the details of the accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

in before the lockage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

the grouch wrote: »
    in before the lockage

Oil drink to that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Or won't go fsr, if only because such liabilities extinguish upon death, no? Othwerwsize we could sue the captain of the titanics relatives or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭overshoot

wait so he was speeding, drunk and rear ended them, indicating he wasnt keeping a safe distance... i would love to know how he will get out of this!
    the family should hire the most expensive lawyer in the states so when its thrown out he gets screwed on costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

What annoys me most is that he's trying to get the relatives to pay. What in the name of Buddha do they have to do with any of it? Even if the victims supposedly were to blame, it's not the family's responsibility.

Anyone who told me I had to pay for damages caused by a dead relative would be told to go and insert a large pointed foreign object up their rear end.

Assh0le.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Only in America :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

overshoot wrote: »
    wait so he was speeding, drunk and rear ended them, indicating he wasn't keeping a safe distance... i would love to know how he will get out of this!
    the family should hire the most expensive lawyer in the states so when its thrown out he gets screwed on costs!

A few years of his 12 years prison sentence if negelicence can be proved that it wasn't totally his fault ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

His Sister must be a very poor quality attorney. Even if the SUV changed lanes without due care, he was speeding, incapable of driving due to alcohol and a cocktail of drugs.

I hope there isn't some mad loophole where he can actually be awarded compensation, it is sickening that he is suing the victims family who had no part to play in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

What a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Read Florida and read no further. There are websites with entire sections dedicated to what goes on in that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

The fact that he had alcohol & drugs in his system made his reactions slower. Add to the fact that he was speeding & it could only end badly.
    Tbh I don't know how they can realistically think they can win this, even by Americas loony court cases.

Me thinks that his sister is using this as some kind of marketing scam to get her name out there. I genuinely hope she does get her name known & that she never gets an opportunity to represent anyone ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I hope they add on another few years to his sentence for wasting the courts time.What a cunt.

Advertisement