Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime capital

Options
  • 31-03-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Anyone see the crime capital show on tv3 about cork recently? I didn't see it but I heard people saying it was about how much heroin is in cork and the drugs bust. I kno there was a couple of drugs busts but with the northern hemispheres biggest natural harbour how else are they coming in. And that's for Europe not just Ireland. And I've been in cork 4 years and haven't seen or heard of heroin at all. Though that was only Dublin and Kilkenny. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

It's TV3. They could make Knock look like Acid Central. You know, and I know that Galway is probably the only city in Ireland safer than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 simiyoshikai

number10a wrote: »
    It's TV3. They could make Knock look like Acid Central. You know, and I know that Galway is probably the only city in Ireland safer than Cork.
    Galway is actually pretty rough I've been there a few times and the city is great love that place but once ya get to the outskirts it's real bad. Suppose we just dont hear bout it that much. But agree with u I haven't had an ounce of trouble down here

........... And I've been in cork 4 years and haven't seen or heard of heroin at all. Though that was only Dublin and Kilkenny. Any thoughts?

Absolutely plenty of heroin and addicts about unfortunately. It's a nationwide problem now. Most folks going about their daily business won't notice it though. There has been a heroin problem in Cork for minimally 5 years, there have been folks using well before than too. There are at least a few hundred on methadone treatment programs, so there are multiples of that amount on actual heroin.

That TV3 show wasn't in the least bit sensationalist, it didn't even scratch the surface of the reality :(
    Galway is actually pretty rough I've been there a few times and the city is great love that place but once ya get to the outskirts it's real bad. Suppose we just dont hear bout it that much. But agree with u I haven't had an ounce of trouble down here

I lived in Galway for a year up to this time 2010, I can't see how you could consider it rough in comparison to Cork tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Cork has a heroin problem but luckily it isn't nearly as bad as limerick or dublin yet. however i don't see any steps being taken to tackle the problem so within a few years i expect it to worsen and for gang violence to start up

as for galway, they seem to be opposite to other cities, there doesn't seem to be any heroin problem, and the city centre is fairly clean of scum, but on the outskirts of the city there is a large load of scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Yeh you do see a fair few junkies around the Bridge street / McCurtain's street alright , not many though and it's always the same few guys , one guy came up to me one evening mashed out of his head with a "sob" story on how he was just released from cork jail and he just wanted 15 quid to stay in Shelia's hostel for the night :rolleyes: All lies though as I'd seen him around before that

But ya they're getting a bit more noticeable and common than before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The bus station can be pretty manic at night now it must be said. whatever it is about that place it just attracts all sorts of addicts drunks weirdos!

EyeSight wrote: »
    ........ for gang violence to start up..........

To start up?
    There have been numerous lives lost in Cork over the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

RoverJames wrote: »
    To start up?
    There have been numerous lives lost in Cork over the last 10 years.
    true but on a small scale compared to dublin and limerick

IMO ireland is very lax on gangs and crime lords. we all know who the leaders are, yet nothing is ever done about them on a large scale. CAB isn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What was kinda funny was the crime show they showed beforehand which dealt with the big cocaine haul in west Cork. If you werent paying attention yould think it was a travelogue. Looked like it was made by the tourist board.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

• Advertisement
Advertisement