Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex partner with child custody, could she claim my house?

Options
  • 31-03-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I'm considering buying an house in Ireland in the near future.
    My ex partner (never married), and mother of my son, is living in another country but might consider coming back in Ireland soon. She owns a property abroad that is renting out at the moment.
    In case she is back, can she claim any right for her against my property? A situation could arise where she, unemployed and with custody of the child, claims to be in need of a place (although she has one already on her country, but could sell it or not mention it), and asks to use my house, practically forcing myself to move out.
    I know it is far fetched, but someone mentioned to me this could happen and now I start to worry I should consider this risk as well.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

You are not married so no she can not do this ever she has no rights to your property or anything else, hell in Ireland you dont even have to pay child support she can claim lone parent family here, and put her name down for housing and once renting for six months privately she can claim rent allowance all while on the lone parents

even if she where to take you to court of child maintenance and you dont pay it there is nothing that can be done it wont even be deducted for you salary

we have such a wonderful system :rolleyes:

I do hope you are paying for your child and an appropriate amount, kids aren't cheap and if you cant afford them then put something on the end of it in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

Hi,

No she cannot claim your house, But in regards to paying maintain I disagree with the last op and that you will have to pay maintains. There has been a change in the law,in the last 2 years, that you can be sent to jail if you don't pay up.Also I will point out that if you would like to get to assess to your child then you will have to pay maintains.

Source ( My ex partner dragging me thro the courts last 6 years) and he still only has supervise visit with the children, and that belongs in other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wintercamel

Thank you edellc and Rebecca. Paying support at the moment and in amicable agreement. But in 5 years time things could get not so amicable, who knows, she might get someone pushing her to get as much as she can out of me.
    And in regards to the "something on the end of it", I agree, but like for Rebecca, is a long story that should be another thread and not in Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

AS it was never the family home, never lived there,she has no claim on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking, you only have responsibilities to the child. As this property was never the family home, you are not married and she has her own property, such a claim would be very difficult to sustain.

However, do discuss it with your solicitor when you are buying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement