Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Lab looking for male attentilon

• 31-03-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I have a 1 year old chocolate lab which I got spayed after christmas when she had her first heat over. Op when well.

Problem is she is constantly looking for male attention from my 3 year old guy and I have a foster of 12yrs which she haunts aswell.

3 year old cant tolerate her attention and bark's and growls at her until she goes away, he is neutered.

12 year old will give her some attention and smell her etc and wee over her wee, he's intact.

At any opportunity she will try to escape the house and go up the road to other males?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

When we got our former pets neutered/spayed the vet said they will still do all the "bold" stuff. Especially if they were neutered/spayed well after their first heat as they don't yet realize some bits are missing and will carry on doing what they were doing before hand, I can't explain it the way I'm hearing it in my head ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We got my old dog neutered before her first heat. Didnt stop her getting down and dirty with the neighbours dog whenever he came calling though! We let them have their fun mostly, at least there was no puppies to be worrying about. I think they were in love, she was very dog aggressive except for him :) it could be a very very very small possibility that the vet may have left some ovarian tissue which is secreting hormones but the possibility is so small I would be more concerned that your dog may be a prostitute :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

We got my old dog neutered before her first heat. Didnt stop her getting down and dirty with the neighbours dog whenever he came calling though! We let them have their fun mostly, at least there was no puppies to be worrying about. I think they were in love, she was very dog aggressive except for him :) it could be a very very very small possibility that the vet may have left some ovarian tissue which is secreting hormones but the possibility is so small I would be more concerned that your dog may be a prostitute :pac: :pac:

Well she's certenly acting like it. Just annoying that you cant open the front door and she bolts up the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well even after neutering, hormones will still be going around her system for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I have a spayed female who acts 'hormonal' sometimes and I did wonder about this type of thing, now she isn't keen on the the boys like your dog Rubygirl, she was spayed just before we got her over a year ago now, she's about 3 or 4 so presumably had at least one heat before the spaying, I do wonder also if she ever had pups (no way of finding out she was abandoned and then taken to a rescue which is where we got her) because she sometimes takes a shoe or a slipper or a piece of turf or something and just kind of 'minds it', she only does this when we got out, we have another dog (neutered male) so she's not on her own and she doesn't chew the object (although sometimes it's damp from her licking it, she likes to lick!!) or chew anything else and sometimes it's literally like she has PMT, she gets all moody, looks at us and looks away, turns her head away if we're talking to her, sighs a lot, it's quite amusing to observe really.

Sorry Rubygirl, didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just find this subject fascinating!!

• Advertisement

RubyGirl wrote: »
    I have a 1 year old chocolate lab which I got spayed after christmas when she had her first heat over. Op when well.

Problem is she is constantly looking for male attention from my 3 year old guy and I have a foster of 12yrs which she haunts aswell.

3 year old cant tolerate her attention and bark's and growls at her until she goes away, he is neutered.

12 year old will give her some attention and smell her etc and wee over her wee, he's intact.

At any opportunity she will try to escape the house and go up the road to other males?

Any ideas?

Well young lab got male attention and lots of it this morning, had to seperate them. She must be in heat but not bits for puppies obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Spayed dogs don't go into heat. It's unlikely but possible that a small piece of tissue was left behind, in which case I'm not sure of the logistics of it whether they have full blown heats or just 'leak' hormones. I remember someone here writing a while back about their bitch with a small piece left behind that also attracts male attention. A call to the vet might be helpful.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Spayed dogs don't go into heat. It's unlikely but possible that a small piece of tissue was left behind, in which case I'm not sure of the logistics of it whether they have full blown heats or just 'leak' hormones. I remember someone here writing a while back about their bitch with a small piece left behind that also attracts male attention. A call to the vet might be helpful.

Ya rang the vet twice today and never returned my call, try again tomorrow.

There must be something because neighbours dog was down all day aswell. I had to keep her in.

She's booked in to get operated again on Friday. Poor lady but best all round in the long run.

Advertisement