Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)

Go look up the difference between subjective and objective. You can only have a valid opinion on an objective matter. When a matter is subjective there is no room for opinion as it is just facts. If you have the opinion that my dog is a cat everyone would tell you that you are stupid, because a dog is a dog and most certainly not a cat. Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world, that is as much a fact as a dog is a dog. If 'for you' breastfeeding is not natural then you are trying to insist a fact isn't so because you don't like it. You are basically saying 'for me, that dog is a cat' and as a result everyone is telling you you are wrong. Not because they disagree with your valid opinion but because your opinion isn't remotely valid, it is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Sorry to disappoint lads but a child has the ability to breast feed until their adult teeth start to come in, so around the age of 6/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sorry to disappoint lads but a child has the ability to breast feed until their adult teeth start to come in, so around the age of 6/7

who would breastfeed a child that age or give it a bottle for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

hondasam wrote: »
    who would breastfeed a child that age or give it a bottle for that matter.

People living in third world countries for a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

iguana wrote: »
    Medusa22 wrote: »
    Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are not omnipotent and you cannot decide that I am simply wrong. It is your opinion that I am wrong and you are entitled to that, it is my opinion that you are a moron, in fact that you are all morons :)

Go look up the difference between subjective and objective. You can only have a valid opinion on an objective matter. When a matter is subjective there is no room for opinion as it is just facts. If you have the opinion that my dog is a cat everyone would tell you that you are stupid, because a dog is a dog and most certainly not a cat. Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world, that is as much a fact as a dog is a dog. If 'for you' breastfeeding is not natural then you are trying to insist a fact isn't so because you don't like it. You are basically saying 'for me, that dog is a cat' and as a result everyone is telling you you are wrong. Not because they disagree with your valid opinion but because your opinion isn't remotely valid, it is just wrong.
    Amen Iguana. Some people here really need to learn what an opinion is. It's a subjective view that's neither right nor wrong, it's not a "feeling" people have based on their own misguided notions and assumptions. "IMO" is used as a get-out clause for loads of bollocks - I've even seen "Gay people are only looking for attention IMO". Wtf does opinion have to do with it? It's either a fact or it isn't - and it isn't. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I still supplement my diet by drinking milk, doesn't mean I need to be supping on me ma.

oh, so you're still a baby :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

What's next, it's OK for a fella to get a blowjob in a restaurant?

"Oh, i'm just with my girlfriend there, we're just doing what nature tells us. Excuse me that I have one of my dick out."

There were other families in that restuaurnt. Next time you're in a restaurant with your little child/children, be OK when the women next table to you feed her child through the breast. Don't come onto boards and click thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

haminka wrote: »
    oh, so you're still a baby :cool:

I can be :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

wimmins got breasts and nipples, the nipples excrete milk which is good for new borns

get over it, its 2012 not 1975

Yes, that's "next" - clearly a logical step after breastfeeding.
    "Oh, i'm just with my girlfriend there, we're just doing what nature tells us. Excuse me that I have one of my dick out."
    It's a change from the pissing, pooing, **** comparisons I'll give you that.

So... what aspect of getting blown in a restaurant is comparable to feeding a hungry baby? Do you have to get blown in a restaurant in order to stop a baby from screaming with hunger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Breastfeeding is not for the purpose of sexual gratification, therefore your analogy means shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Dudess wrote: »
    Amen Iguana. Some people here really need to learn what an opinion is. It's a subjective view that's neither right nor wrong, it's not a "feeling" people have based on their own misguided notions and assumptions. "IMO" is used as a get-out clause for loads of bollocks - I've even seen "Gay people are only looking for attention IMO". Wtf does opinion have to do with it? It's either a fact or it isn't - and it isn't. :)

What is your point Dudess?

People do not have a right to have an opinion on this topic?

Smoking in restaurants used to be legal. Some non smokers didn't like it but they had to endure it. They still have a right to say they didn't like it. Now look, people have to smoke outdoors.

What gives you the right to control people?

The whole "it's natural" excuse is a load of BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

MungBean wrote: »
    Posters are encouraged to offer their own view when starting a thread. The fact that she did so doesnt open her to personal attacks. She was attacked from the start, and didnt initially deliberately offend or insult anyone else on the forum. People took issue with her opinion and attacked her. Its clear as day and theres no defending that.

There's no defending ignorant views, either. If I started a thread saying " I saw a black and a white person kissing in a restaurant today. I thought it was ignorant and was shocked", people would have every right to challenge me on it.
    If I started a thread saying "I saw a physically handicapped person person in a restaurant today and it was so ignorant and shocked everyone around me" People would have every right to challenge me on it. How do you think those responses should be worded exactly>

A majority of posters attacking the OP for saying something they disagree with is an angry mob. Look at the thanks on insults on the first page.

And there is a huge huge difference between being offended and being insulted. You cant just attack and insult someone because you feel offended by their opinion, thinking you can or that strong feelings make it acceptable is the real naivety.

On the first page the responses were:
    Don't see what the big deal is.
    (132 thanks)
    Why is something that's so fundamentally natural so horrific? What is so 'ignorant' about a woman using her own body to feed her baby? Why do you find this so shocking?
    (128 thanks)
    Baby needs food. Breasts give food (to babies).
    (59 thanks)
    Just turn around and don't look so
    (47 thanks)
    Grow the FUK up!!!
    (133 thanks)

and ..
    I'll take the ban if it comes, as it will be worth it.

You're a moron. You mentioned ignorance in your post. It certainly wasnt the mother who was guilty of this. Thankfully there arent too many around like you.
    (100 thanks) - this poster was duly banned.

Only 2 of those responses could be deemed in any way personally insulting, however none more so than being called ignorant for daring to feed your infant child in a restaurant.
    People have the right to thank a post as many times as they like, doesn't equate to an attack.

Namlub wrote: »
    Breastfeeding is not for the purpose of sexual gratification, therefore your analogy means shit.

No, a woman has her breast out, and before her baby took to her breast, her nipples were visible.

Excuse me, but I do not consider this proper conduct in a family area. The breast of a woman is private.

Exactly.

Oh and comparing breastfeeding to smoking is beyond weak.

There were other families in that restuaurnt. Next time you're in a restaurant with your little child/children, be OK when the women next table to you feed her child through the breast. Don't come onto boards and click thanks.
    Is English not your first language?

But anyway, er... the baby being breastfed is also a "little child" - women breastfeed in front of their other children at home, and more likely to have her breast exposed then. In a restaurant she'll cover it up. Really, what's your point? is discreet breastfeeding actually that sexual to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

No, a woman has her breast out, and before her baby took to her breast, her nipples were visible.

Excuse me, but I do not consider this proper conduct in a family area. The breast of a woman is private.

Jesus - Ireland really would be a backward country if everyone thought as you do!!!!!!

How do you feel about the breasts of a man:rolleyes:

Comparing breastfeeding to smoking is beyond weak.

How James?

Tough titties. If you're offended, don't look, or go somewhere else. THE LAW IS 100% CLEAR ON THIS.

• Advertisement

That's what you have been trying to do. First off you call women breastfeeding in public ignorant. Then you moan because almost nobody agrees with you. In both cases you are trying to exert control over others.

How James?

Do I need to start quoting from the dictionary?

Breastfeeding is good for the person doing it, and does not harm others (outside of whatever bizarre, backwards, victorian, illogical psychological issues they may have).

Smoking is bad for the person doing it, and harms others.

Now is there anything else you would like to be wrong about or are we done here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

But anyway, er... the baby being breastfed is also a "little child" - women breastfeed in front of their other children at home, and more likely to have her breast exposed then. In a restaurant she'll cover it up. Really, what's your point? is discreet breastfeeding actually that sexual to you?

I never said sexual in the term of breastfeeding. But a womans breast/fuc*ing tits/rack or whatever is considered to be a sexual part.

"In a restuarant she'll cover it up."

I'm sorry pal, but before she puts the child to her breast her nipples are out for the whole restaurant to see and went she is finish breast feeding her nipples are out.

Anyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then. If you think breastfeeding in a public restuarant is OK, I don't know what to say. As the OP said, the whole restaurant was uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

My God, this has just gone from bad to worse. I think it's fair to say there will be no agreement or mind changes here.

Such a shame people feel this way even though clearly people are entitled to their feelings thank God these are minority opinions.

The whole "it's natural" excuse is a load of BS.

The whole point of this thread has been completely lost on you, hasn't it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

any chance to get this thread locked? jumped the shark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You'd have to be staring pretty bloody carefully at a woman's breast to catch a glimpse of nip before the baby takes to it; that doesn't sound like proper conduct to me.

Also, you haven't actually addressed my point. At all.

Tough titties. If you're offended, don't look, or go somewhere else. THE LAW IS 100% CLEAR ON THIS.

Go somewhere else? I will in my hole.

I'd ask the women politely once to stop what she is doing, then if she refuses i'll be up to management with a complaint.

(while all the other customers in the restuarant have to go through the incident, as the OP described.)
    I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked.

What is your point Dudess?

People do not have a right to have an opinion on this topic?
    no, that's not my point - but pretend it is if you must.
    Smoking in restaurants used to be legal. Some non smokers didn't like it but they had to endure it. They still have a right to say they didn't like it. Now look, people have to smoke outdoors.

The whole "it's natural" excuse is a load of BS.[/Quote]
    I guess "it's natural" won't cut the mustard as long as there are people who'll laughably draw an analogy between it and fellatio :D so forget that one and concentrate on the main one: the baby needs to be fed (the numerous reasons for breast over bottle have been explained), the woman is legally entitled to do it in public, there aren't breastfeeding rooms in the vast majority of places, nobody should feel forced to placate uptight people when it's a matter if their child being fed (the same objectors would also have a hussy fit over a screaming baby) and the uptight people can look away. In their defence, I do think breastfeeding mothers should keep their boob covered as much as possible - but they usually do.

Smoking comparison - yet another phail. There are no fumes from breastfeeding that poison people's lungs.
    Lol at you saying those who object to you wanting public breastfeeding banned are trying to control you. :D

Anyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then. If you think breastfeeding in a public restuarant is OK, I don't know what to say. As the OP said, the whole restaurant was uncomfortable.

WTF? Breastfeeding in public is completely and utterly legal. So much so that it is illegal to harass her in any way and any public premises which does not protect her from such harassment will be fined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I think the OP has a point.

Maybe restaurants should be made provide a special area. Somewhere out of the way away from other people. All the intolerant, petty and small minded idiots could sit in there while the rest of us get on with minding our own business and enjoying our food.

IAnyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then. If you think breastfeeding in a public restuarant is OK, I don't know what to say. As the OP said, the whole restaurant was uncomfortable.

They have a law in Ireland against breastfeeding? First I knew about it.

I'd ask the women politely once to stop what she is doing, then if she refuses i'll be up to management with a complaint.

And before you get a chance to complain to the management the will be legally obliged to insist you leave the premises because you would have just broken the law.

I never said sexual in the term of breastfeeding. But a womans breast/fuc*ing tits/rack or whatever is considered to be a sexual part.

By you. You seem to think the sole purpose of a breast is for sexual purposes :confused:
    Anyway, let the next breastfeeding mother do this when there are Gardaí around, lets see what will happen then.

Do you seriously believe breast feeding is against the law :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

(while all the other customers in the restuarant have to go through the incident, as the OP described.)

And then you'll walk away humiliated when the manager asks you to leave for making a scene.

iguana wrote: »
    WTF? Breastfeeding in public is completely and utterly legal. So much so that it is illegal to harass her in any way and any public premises which does not protect her from such harassment will be fined.

Regards bolded part, many other laws are legal which shouldn't completely be, but that is only the theory side. You have to address the practical side too.

If an RTE interview was live on air and a woman was behind the reporter, sitting on the steps breastfeeding, what do you think would happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It is against the law to harrass, intimidate or discriminate against a breastfeeding mother. A restaraunt/bar/whatever owner cannot ask her to leave either on their behalf or on behalf of another patron. I think you'll find the gardai would be more interested in you.

stimpson wrote: »
    I think the OP has a point.

Maybe restaurants should be made provide a special area. Somewhere out of the way away from other people. All the intolerant, petty and small minded idiots could sit in there while the rest of us get on with minding our own business and enjoying our food.

Even better have a big glass window - I'd love to flash those small minded 'ignorant' feckers:)

Lol at you saying those who object to you wanting public breastfeeding banned are trying to control you. :D

Did I say this? No I didn't.

My point on smoking was some people have a problem with it in restaurants, others don't. Same applies to mothers breast feeding in restaurants I'm afraid. I'm paying to eat, anything beyond that is irrelevant.

Never said it was wrong. I said I find it ignorant as I don't feel comfortable with it.

Now will you please respect my opinion and move on as I have respected yours and have well and truly moved on.

Madam wrote: »
    They have a law in Ireland against breastfeeding? First I knew about it.

Ever search up about "breastfeeding in a public place".

There is indecent exposure as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Regards bolded part, many other laws are legal which shouldn't completely be, but that is only the theory side. You have to address the practical side too.

If an RTE interview was live on air and a woman was behind the reporter, sitting on the steps breastfeeding, what do you think would happen?

Some people with your minority view would be offended. Very little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Eh nothing.....

By law its allowed. If you complained to them.... You'd be in the wrong.

The exact wording is in here somewhere but if you complain its your own um.. though ****.

"In a restuarant she'll cover it up."

I'm sorry pal, but before she puts the child to her breast her nipples are out for the whole restaurant to see and went she is finish breast feeding her nipples are out.

Haha, it just gets better! Its legal for a woman to breastfeed in public, and illegal to discriminate against her doing so.

The fact you bring the GUARDS into it and make the point that breasts are sexual (yes, but in entirely different contexts) just shows you view it as dirty and obscene - bless ya. No her nipples won't be out - it's one breast she uses and she can easily cover it while getting the nipple out.

And I'm most certainly not your pal.

As mentioned previously, legislation has been specifically created to protect breatfeeding infants and mothers from people like you. If you were to harass them in any way, the management would be legally obligated to prevent you from interfering with her right to feed her child.

Yes, the practical side of protecting women from harassment by selfish idiots.

Nothing. They are live on air and a professional reporter doesn't let what is happening in the background interfere with their report unless the thing happening in the background is related to what they are reporting on.

The world would end....baby Jesus would cry...

I dunno, you tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

And what do you propose the Gardaí will do?
    Maybe you don't know but if you had read the whole thread you would.
    It is ILLEGAL to prevent a woman from breastfeeding ANYWHERE

Also how does the op know that THE WHOLE restaurant was uncomfortable? Did she go around & query everyone. It is impossible to know how someone is feeling just by a look on their face.

I am not a mother but I saw a lady breastfeeding in a restaurant I was in a few months back {I was off to use the facilities I didn't seek her out}. When I saw that she was breastfeeding my eyes widened not because I was shocked but because I thought it was so wonderful to see & when I got back from the facilities the baby was in a nice BM induced sleep so mammy could eat her meal. This was a packed restaurant & I didn't see anyone batt an eyelid at this lady.

If op saw me she may have thought my widened eye expression was shock when in fact it was something totally different. I would love to know how she thought everyone in the restaurant was shocked without physically asking them :rolleyes:

some gombeen would start dancing in front of the camera so his mammy could see him?

It is against the law to harrass, intimidate or discriminate against a breastfeeding mother. A restaraunt/bar/whatever owner cannot ask her to leave either on their behalf or on behalf of another patron. I think you'll find the gardai would be more interested in you.

Oh yes, and let the people eating in the resturant have to put up with these obnoxious mother who wouldn't take the time to go home to breastfeed.

As the OP said, all the people in the restaurant where shocked. The Mother upset the whole restaurant.

Don't mention me, I never saw a Mother breastfeed in a restaurant, nor will I hope I ever will.

What's next, breastfeeding at bus stops? Ah shure it's not against the law, so it's completely OK to do it.

• Advertisement

I said I find it ignorant as I don't feel comfortable with it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement