Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Op if you go to any night club or anywhere, where people get dressed up to go out and enjoy themselves I can assure you, you will see more cleavage/tit then any mother has on display breast feeding their child.

Why does this argument continue to be batted the ops way? What relevance do the dress code or ethics of a nightclub have to her post? Or people going topless at a beach? If the op was to sink to a similar level with her counter argument she might as well refer to dress code at a funeral home or the school yard. If she were going for candlelight dinner down at the local swimming pool she should of course allow for the possibility of seeing fellow guests wearing bikinis and speedos.
    Disagree with her point of view on breast feeding babies in restaurants, and accuse her of being unsympathetic to mothers who feel they have no other choice but you do nothing to the discussion by comparing apples with oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

tempura wrote: »
    Op, I really hope someday that you give birth to really hungry triplets.

That is all.
    Hah! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Is it ok for a restaurant to charge a breastfeeding woman corkage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

darlett wrote: »
    If she were going for candlelight dinner down at the local swimming pool she should of course allow for the possibility of seeing fellow guests wearing bikinis and speedos.

Breastfeeding an infant in a restaurant is every bit as appropriate as wearing swimwear at a swimming pool. That's why people are making the comparison. You are the one comparing apples with oranges, not the other way around.

darlett wrote: »
    cruiser178 wrote: »
    Op if you go to any night club or anywhere, where people get dressed up to go out and enjoy themselves I can assure you, you will see more cleavage/tit then any mother has on display breast feeding their child.

Why does this argument continue to be batted the ops way? What relevance do the dress code or ethics of a nightclub have to her post? Or people going topless at a beach? If the op was to sink to a similar level with her counter argument she might as well refer to dress code at a funeral home or the school yard. If she were going for candlelight dinner down at the local swimming pool she should of course allow for the possibility of seeing fellow guests wearing bikinis and speedos.
    Disagree with her point of view on breast feeding babies in restaurants, and accuse her of being unsympathetic to mothers who feel they have no other choice but you do nothing to the discussion by comparing apples with oranges.
    It's true that those are environments where it's deemed appropriate to be topless or skimpily dressed, but the OP and a handful of others are deeming it INappropriate to discreetly breastfeed in public with virtually nothing showing, when it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Entertaining thread.

I don't think the OP is troll.
    It's pretty unfair to call someone a troll just because they post an opinion which differs from yours.

However as a father of three breast-fed children I wholly disagree with the OP and the other nay-sayers. There's a number of reasons why breastfeeding rates in Ireland are so low. Attitudes like some of those posted here are among them.

DonQuay and the person who classed public breastfeeders as "militant feminists and tree huggers" - your arguments are retarded, stupid and illogical.

The rules re no personal abuse should really be relaxed for threads like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

OP: Huh?!?!?!?!?!?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    That's not true at all. I haven't passed comment on anyone else's opinion.

People that have an opinion on mine are asking me repetitive questions and I'm merely replying by answering them.

You seem way more bothered by the issue itself which is fair enough , that's your opinion. :)

well it's perfectly natural.
    Giving kids baby formula only really began in the 19th century.
    Up to then most if not all women had to breastfeed because it was all a baby could eat.

I've never had a problem with a woman breastfeeding. I dont see it as weird or uncomfortable. Nothing more natural than a baby eating what he/she is supposed to eat.

To my mind the people that are uncomfortable with it have the problem. I have to say though I dont personally know anyone that has a problem with it.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Entertaining thread.

It's pretty unfair to call someone a troll just because they post an opinion which differs from yours.

However as a father of three breast-fed children I wholly disagree with the OP and the other nay-sayers. There's a number of reasons why breastfeeding rates in Ireland are so low. Attitudes like some of those posted here are among them.

DonQuay and the person who classed public breastfeeders as "militant feminists and tree huggers" - your arguments are retarded, stupid and illogical.

The rules re no personal abuse should really be relaxed for threads like these.
    To be fair, the OP was suspected of being a troll not because she merely holds a differing point of view, but because the language in her post looked like a pure wind-up.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    To be fair, the OP was suspected of being a troll not because she merely holds a differing point of view, but because the language in her post looked like a pure wind-up.

And the date probably made people suspect that too.

That said I don't think she's a troll. I know someone who went to visit a new mother in her own home and asked her to go to a different room when she began breastfeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Baby is hungry? Baby gets fed. Love all the "but why can't you just plan ahead posts" clearly coming from people who aren't yet parents. Wait and see :)

I think it's parents who actually said this. Me being one of them. You can plan ahead babies do not need to be fed the moment they cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

• Cheeky_gal wrote: »
      Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant.
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Entertaining thread.

That line above there is why I'm calling it a piss take.

Surely in this day in age someone couldn't think they'd get away with rolling out a line like that and not get a reaction.

But as the last half of your post says..

Surely its ok to say that someone is uneducated.. When its fairly obvious that they are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

hondasam wrote: »

Baby is hungry? Baby gets fed. Love all the "but why can't you just plan ahead posts" clearly coming from people who aren't yet parents. Wait and see :)

I think it's parents who actually said this. Me being one of them. You can plan ahead babies do not need to be fed the moment they cry.

Well that's fantastic, for YOU. I'm sure u appreciate that not everyone is the same.

iguana wrote: »

That said I don't think she's a troll. I know someone who went to visit a new mother in her own home and asked her to go to a different room when she began breastfeeding.

You are joking, what did she say when asked to move rooms?

That line above there is why I'm calling it a piss take.

Surely in this day in age someone couldn't think they'd get away with rolling out a line like that and not get a reaction.

But as the last half of your post says..

Surely its ok to say that someone is uneducated.. When its fairly obvious that they are...

Give the OP a break, she worded her op a bit wrong. She has a different opinion than others, big deal it's a free country. Mothers can breastfeed in public and the general public can whine about it if they want.
    There are probably a few people on here who would not be happy if it happened beside them but would not say it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If I was in a restaurant and the baby started crying for a feed, I'd rather they pop the tit out and feed it.

Breastfeeding I don't mind. Crying baby not so much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

iguana wrote: »

And personally I would be asking them to leave. Quickly, before I got the urge to slap them.
    Ok some people have a problem in a restaurant, I wouldnt as I wouldnt be one to keep looking, but in their own home, thats taking the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

ilovesleep wrote: »
    A restaurant is a place to go to, to eat food. I can't think of a place more suitable. Is she supposed to feed her baby in the jacks or something?

believe it or not, shoitbags like "cheekygirl" would rather they feed the child in the jacks,

Well that's fantastic, for YOU. I'm sure u appreciate that not everyone is the same.

I do but YOU are the one who assumed that it was people who did not have children who said it.
    I don't expect every child or parent to be the same.

If I was in a restaurant and the baby started crying for a feed, I'd rather they pop the tit out and feed it.

Breastfeeding I don't mind. Crying baby not so much..

I don't mind it either and as I said mothers are always discreet about it. No one wants to hear a baby crying because it's upsetting for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

Maybe the problem is some peoples' attitudes towards breasts - not the breasts themselves, the mothers or the babies and their hunger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

But it's quite difficult to listen to a baby crying when there's absolutely no need. In my opinion, it's unfair to a small baby to leave it go hungry for no reason, other than the possibility of offending some strangers. It's also difficult to hold a conversation in an already loud restaurant over the noise of a screaming baby.
    It's difficult to enjoy a meal when your baby is crying. Also, a crying child, in my experience, is far more disturbing to the general public than a breastfeeding mother. And attracting of a lot more disapproval.
    And those are the reasons why, when my baby started to cry, yesterday afternoon, in a busy restaurant, I breastfed it.
    Who knows, maybe I, and not cheeky gal, was the one who started this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen so many posts from the one thread making the "Most Thanks" page.
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks
    All 100% correct though. I cannot believe that people think that nursing mothers should pander to these idiots. I'm equally shocked that a lot of the people who are most offended are women :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm sorry everyone but I'm with the OP on this one ignorant or not I would prefer if it did not happen in the restaurant but then again kids in restaurants tend to annoy me anyway.
    Having said that I'm sure she was discreet about it but I also think she could have gone to a private location to feed the baby or fed the baby before she went to the restaurant.

^from this to the below in 25 pages, you should become a politician with that kind of policy flip flopping :pac:

I don't mind it either and as I said mothers are always discreet about it. No one wants to hear a baby crying because it's upsetting for everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Personally, I would think that a mother who doesn't feed their baby when they're obviously hungry is infinitely worse than a mother who breastfeeds in public.

ck83 wrote: »
    But it's quite difficult to listen to a baby crying when there's absolutely no need. In my opinion, it's unfair to a small baby to leave it go hungry for no reason, other than the possibility of offending some strangers. It's also difficult to hold a conversation in an already loud restaurant over the noise of a screaming baby.
    It's difficult to enjoy a meal when your baby is crying. Also, a crying child, in my experience, is far more disturbing to the general public than a breastfeeding mother. And attracting of a lot more disapproval.
    And those are the reasons why, when my baby started to cry, yesterday afternoon, in a busy restaurant, I breastfed it.

We can agree that babies cry for all sorts of reasons not just because they are hungry. Baby crying does not mean ''feed me now'' waiting twenty minutes will not harm the baby.
    Can I ask you, did you know the baby would be due a feed in or around this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

RichieC wrote: »

believe it or not, shoitbags like "cheekygirl" would rather they feed the child in the jacks,

Thanks so I'm a "sh*tebag" now that's lovely. Just another insult in this thread to add to the list.

Can people not have a discussion without insulting one another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

We can agree that babies cry for all sorts of reasons not just because they are hungry. Baby crying does not mean ''feed me now'' waiting twenty minutes will not harm the baby.
    Can I ask you, did you know the baby would be due a feed in or around this time?

OMG are you for real?

I do but YOU are the one who assumed that it was people who did not have children who said it.
    I don't expect every child or parent to be the same.

Jesus, relax, I didn't assume anything, so you are a parent with a different view to me, fair enough, I'm long enough in the tooth to know that not everyone thinks the same and to be fair I meant it when I said great for you, being organised. I'm also a parent but I'm not a very organised person and prefer to go with the flow. I wasn't taking issue with you at all.

I was just genuinely offended to think that when I fed my baby some people passing would view me with the same disdain they would reserve if I dropped my pants in public and went to the toilet.

Give peace a chance like :)

krudler wrote: »
    ^from this to the below in 25 pages, you should become a politician with that kind of policy flip flopping :pac:

Like I said I don't mind it but would prefer it did not happen at the table beside me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Give the OP a break, she worded her op a bit wrong. She has a different opinion than others, big deal it's a free country. Mothers can breastfeed in public and the general public can whine about it if they want.
    There are probably a few people on here who would not be happy if it happened beside them but would not say it.

Apparently not. Apparently it is only a free country so long as the OP's prissy sensibilities are not offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

My sister has just fed her child at the kitchen table, seemed the most natural thing in the world. She says her appetite is enormous at the moment, and as breastfeeding takes up so much of her time, she'd starve to death if she didn't snatch a bite to eat while feeding.
    So now I have the image of her bringing her sandwiches and baby into the jacks and hogging the toilet for half an hour, a long q of restaurant customers waiting outside because all the toilets are taken by breastfeeding mothers.

Apparently not. Apparently it is only a free country so long as the OP's prissy sensibilities are not offended.

I don't think she was offended. No matter what she says now everyone has made their minds up about her. She is in a no win situation.

Like I said I don't mind it but would prefer it did not happen at the table beside me.

so...you do mind it. how far away is acceptable before you stop minding. you'd see the same about of boob either beside you or at the far end of the room, next to none.

Thanks so I'm a "sh*tebag" now that's lovely. Just another insult in this thread to add to the list.

Some people tend to look into something before expressing a view on it.

If you had looked into it a bit more you probably would have been more aware of what you were letting yourself in for.

If you're going to put it out there...

krudler wrote: »
    so...you do mind it. how far away is acceptable before you stop minding. you'd see the same about of boob either beside you or at the far end of the room, next to none.

You are taking issue with the fact I said I would prefer if it did not happen at the table next to me, so shoot me for thinking like this. Does this make me ignorant now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

And when it's a retarded opinion, people are entitled to argue with it.
    While I agree with your sentiment, is there any chance that you could stand up for breastfeeding women without undermining people with intellectual disabilities?
    So move then.

If you look closely at our wedding video, you can see my sister-in-law breastfeeding their youngest at her table during the speeches. No bother to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Im so jealous of that baby....if I brought a carton of milk into a restaurant would I be allowed to drink it oh no, Id have to buy the restaurants milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Imagine If I was in the middle of a busy restaurant and stood up, whipped out my lad and started taking a big long piss.

Sure whats wrong with it? its only a natural bodily function!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Tip for ya there OP don't start a topic like this in After hours or really any part of boards if your looking to not be abused. You stand no chance trying to "talk" about something like this online when its so one sided.

If you didn't like it there's nothing wrong with that we were all born with a brain to think for ourselfs your not right or wrong its ur view on the matter.

Personally if I saw it myself I wouldn't give a ****e if mother wants to breastfeed go for it not really anyone else's business unless the milk is going in there mouth......

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If you look closely at our wedding video, you can see my sister-in-law breastfeeding their youngest at her table during the speeches. No bother to anyone.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Firstly, a 20 min cry would not harm the baby, but would seriously disturb the meal and conversations of everyone in the room.
    I met friends for lunch. The baby woke, and was hungry a half an hour earlier than expected. So I fed him. But chances are, if he'd slept on, I'd have still been enjoying a conversation with my friends.
    Now. Don't get me wrong. I didn't bear all. I discreetly lifted the upper part of my nursing jumper and fed him. Not even the people at my table could see what I was doing (I would therefore be very surprised if I offended people at neighbouring tables).

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Fortunately, we live in a society where there are lots of different cultures, traditions, opinions. If someone else's beliefs (whatever they may be) are going to cause one a lot of anguish or discomfort, Then that person really needs to reconsider where they spend their time.

I dont think that any religion, culture, tradition or opinion anywhere else in the world gets offended by breastfeeding. for instance, its actually encouraged by the Qur'an:

Breastfeeding has a religious basis in Islam. The Holy Qur’an recommends that the mother suckle her offspring for 2 years if possible,and states that every newborn infant has the right to be breastfed (verse 2:233)

Maybe a muslin can help me out here, but as their religion has strong Modesty Guidelines, and muslim mothers are encouraged to continue to breastfeed but be discreet. Thats why there are dedicated feeding areas for mothers to go and feed their child in shopping malls in Saudi Arabia.

There are no such areas in Ireland. If there was a nice quiet area in a shopping centre with a comfy armchair where I could breastfeed in peace I'd use it every time over a loud busy restaurant full of ignorant people staring at me.

I'd like to hear more about which cultures, religions and traditions find breastfeeding repulsive and immoral. Because I've genuinely never heard of any.

bensweeney wrote: »
    Imagine If I was in the middle of a busy restaurant and stood up, whipped out my lad and started taking a big long piss.

beeep beeep beeep beeep beeep!

Quick everyone!

The complete eejit alarm is going off!!!

A discussion you started by calling a breastfeeding mother "ignorant", you've spectacularly displayed your own ignorance about breastfeeding through this thread as well, especially the suggestion that there should be a specific place to breastfeed babies, like what a communal hall someplace in a city? or should every shop and restauraunt build an extension to house the rare sight of a woman publically breastfeeding just to appease people with archaic views?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen a baby been breastfed publically, its probably way more than that but I never paid attention to it as its such a non issue.

• Advertisement

Lol - are you and your thankers TRYING to look stupid?! :D

Read the thread - this was covered over and over and you're not being original or clever. A woman breastfeeding doesn't whip her tits out, and a piss doesn't feed a baby. Comprende? I'd be worried if you didn't...

You penis isn't designed for feeding babies (and if you think it is then we should probably alert the authorities) and taking a piss all over a floor is a germ hazard to other people, feeding a baby isnt.

does that answer your ****ing idiotic comparion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I find the idea of breastfeeding utterly nauseating. I wouldn't be able to continue eating my meal if I saw someone breastfeeding in a restaurant. I agree with the OP, do it somewhere else. If you CHOOSE to breastfeed then do it at home. I don't want to look at it. In fact, I despise children being in restaurants at all, unless they are well behaved, but that is a rarity in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Lol - are you and your thankers TRYING to look stupid?! :D

Read the thread - this was covered over and over and you're not being original or clever. A woman breastfeeding doesn't whip her tits out, and a piss doesn't feed a baby. Comprende? I'd be worried if you didn't...

They are both natural bodily functions. I see I use a PRIVATE area to have a piss. Women should also use a PRIVATE area when they are being relieved of bodily fluids.

You are joking, what did she say when asked to move rooms?

It was her first week with her first baby so she left the room and fed the baby in her bedroom.After that she asked everyone who came to visit if they were ok with her feeding in front of them or if they'd if prefer she left the room. However in later years with later babies her attitude changed completely. She will feed wherever necessary and if someone else doesn't like it, it's their own tough. In fact I'd almost say she borders on militancy about breastfeeding. As pro-breastfeeding as I am she'd almost annoy me with her attitude if I didn't know the story of how cowed she was when she first started out.

It's why I get so cross when people display attitudes like the OP's. They take something natural and make the women who are doing it feel like they are in battle rather than looking after a baby. It creates hostility on both sides. When there should quite simply be no sides. Just women doing the best for their children and other people minding their own business.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement