Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I find the idea of breastfeeding utterly nauseating. I wouldn't be able to continue eating my meal if I saw someone breastfeeding in a restaurant. I agree with the OP, do it somewhere else. If you CHOOSE to breastfeed then do it at home. I don't want to look at it. In fact, I despise children being in restaurants at all, unless they are well behaved, but that is a rarity in this country.

So all babies should be bottle fed as standard to keep you happy?

But thankfully at the end of the day you're the one with the problem not everyone else. Plus what makes you think that you're so special to the world that others actions have to revolve around your sensitivities.

As a rule of thumb to avoid you violently puking over little people perhaps you should only enter establishments like the OP where no children are allowed or only after a certain time of the day if it annoys you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I find the idea of breastfeeding utterly nauseating. I wouldn't be able to continue eating my meal if I saw someone breastfeeding in a restaurant.

In fairness, that's an extreme reaction. You are the one with the problem here ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I find the idea of breastfeeding utterly nauseating. I wouldn't be able to continue eating my meal if I saw someone breastfeeding in a restaurant. I agree with the OP, do it somewhere else. If you CHOOSE to breastfeed then do it at home. I don't want to look at it. In fact, I despise children being in restaurants at all, unless they are well behaved, but that is a rarity in this country.

boo hoo everyone should have to pander to my idiocy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

iguana wrote: »
    I know someone who went to visit a new mother in her own home and asked her to go to a different room when she began breastfeeding.

My sister did that to me, in my own home. Need I say more? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Again - your problem, not theirs. you have no right, legally or otherwise, to demand mothers not feed their babies in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Originally Posted by cruiser178
    Op if you go to any night club or anywhere, where people get dressed up to go out and enjoy themselves I can assure you, you will see more cleavage/tit then any mother has on display breast feeding their child.
    darlett wrote: »
    Why does this argument continue to be batted the ops way? What relevance do the dress code or ethics of a nightclub have to her post? Or people going topless at a beach? If the op was to sink to a similar level with her counter argument she might as well refer to dress code at a funeral home or the school yard. If she were going for candlelight dinner down at the local swimming pool she should of course allow for the possibility of seeing fellow guests wearing bikinis and speedos.
    Disagree with her point of view on breast feeding babies in restaurants, and accuse her of being unsympathetic to mothers who feel they have no other choice but you do nothing to the discussion by comparing apples with oranges.
    Breastfeeding an infant in a restaurant is every bit as appropriate as wearing swimwear at a swimming pool.

Yes, thats what I said. I disagreed with countless people who have suggested is that the poster should have no problem with breastfeeding because what of what is appropriate in a nightclub.
    That's why people are making the comparison. You are the one comparing apples with oranges, not the other way around.

You dont understand. Point me out my apples and oranges as you see it. Heres my five a day.

Apple= Breast feeding in a restaurant.
    Orange= Going to nightclub and displaying cleavage/tit.
    Pear= Wearing swimwear at a swimming pool.
    Banana=Shirt and tie at funeral home.
    Grapes=Students wearing school uniform in the school yard

Whilst I agree with the right of a mother to breastfeed the child, I dont believe that cleavage/tit on display in an establishment such as a nightclub means that its acceptable dress everywhere so as an argument against the op its a nonsense. Shes not eating her dinner in a nightclub, or in at a swimming pool as I used in my original example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Neyite wrote: »
    I dont think that any religion, culture, tradition or opinion anywhere else in the world gets offended by breastfeeding. for instance, its actually encouraged by the Qur'an:

Breastfeeding has a religious basis in Islam. The Holy Qur’an recommends that the mother suckle her offspring for 2 years if possible,and states that every newborn infant has the right to be breastfed (verse 2:233)

Maybe a muslin can help me out here, but as their religion has strong Modesty Guidelines, and muslim mothers are encouraged to continue to breastfeed but be discreet. Thats why there are dedicated feeding areas for mothers to go and feed their child in shopping malls in Saudi Arabia.

There are no such areas in Ireland. If there was a nice quiet area in a shopping centre with a comfy armchair where I could breastfeed in peace I'd use it every time over a loud busy restaurant full of ignorant people staring at me.

I'd like to hear more about which cultures, religions and traditions find breastfeeding repulsive and immoral. Because I've genuinely never heard of any.

When I lived in north London it was common to see muslim women breastfeeding in public. It seemed a bit incongruous that a woman would feel a need to cover her hair with a hijab but was fine with breastfeeding in the middle of a park. But I guess that even some people who follow a religion that sees a woman's hair as sexual doesn't see breastfeeding as even remotely so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

It amuses me that a differing opinion is immediately considered to be ''idiocy''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bensweeney wrote: »
    Dudess wrote: »
    Lol - are you and your thankers TRYING to look stupid?! :D

Read the thread - this was covered over and over and you're not being original or clever. A woman breastfeeding doesn't whip her tits out, and a piss doesn't feed a baby. Comprende? I'd be worried if you didn't...

They are both natural bodily functions. I see I use a PRIVATE area to have a piss. Women should also use a PRIVATE area when they are being relieved of bodily fluids.
    What private area? The jacks? There's a baby in the mix here also, despite your reduction of it to "draining bodily fluids". She covers her boob, you don't have to look. Not her problem you think breasts are only for ejaculating on...

I'm goning to have to repeat what I said in an earlier thread on this topic:

A lot of backwards attitudes on display in this thread.

The health benefits to infant and mother from breastfeeding are now a well established medical fact. Breast milk contains precisely the right nutrients in the right amounts for a growing infant. It also contains immunoglobulins A and G which boost a child's immunity to common pathogens before their own imunne system is fully up and running.

The medical profession has for years now been trying to promote breastfeeding but its widespread acceptance is being held back due to the outdated, unbased and just plain wrong opinions that can be seen here.

Even if the sight of breasts offends you for some strange reason, you'd be hard pressed to actually catch a glimpse of them the way most women go about their breastfeeding. So people aren't even being offended by the sight of breasts, they're being offended by the idea of breasts. If this is the case these people have some serious psychological issues that need addressing.

I think my paediatrics prof summed it up best when he said "For christ's sake it's what they're FOR!"

To the people who are offended by a woman breastfeeding in public:

YOU are a problem in society. Legislation has been specifically created to prevent your backward and ignorant attitudes from adversely affecting the health of children and their mothers.

This is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. There should be no debate here. You are just plain wrong. The sooner you realise this and cop the fcuck on the better for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Actually interested, why? Is the boobs? Is it the baby? Is it the milk? What offends your sensibilities so much?

Just don't get it at all :(

I find the idea of breastfeeding utterly nauseating. I wouldn't be able to continue eating my meal if I saw someone breastfeeding in a restaurant.

So do I; but I'm aware that this is not a normal reaction, this is my problem. If I can't eat because of my unnatural nausea, then tough - I don't eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Maybe you should eat all your meals at home.

It amuses me that a differing opinion is immediately considered to be ''idiocy''.

when that opinion is idiotic, then yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

If you CHOOSE to eat in a restaurant and you're not happy there, then eat at home.

It's obvious to me now that this is an April Fool's thread. There's no other explanation for stuff like this.

Well done OP, you got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I have never ever actually seen a woman breast feeding in a public place. This thread has me wondering why actually is that? Is breast feeding uncommon nowadays, or is it that mothers might feel unomfortable in a public area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

What an idiotic reaction/post

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

hondasam wrote: »
    We can agree that babies cry for all sorts of reasons not just because they are hungry. Baby crying does not mean ''feed me now'' waiting twenty minutes will not harm the baby.
    Can I ask you, did you know the baby would be due a feed in or around this time?
    I'm not sure how experienced you are with the baby feeds but I could bloody well tell you, when my daughter was hungry. the smacking sounds she made with her lips when she was very small, later on pulling at my shirt to get to the food source. waiting twenty minutes to feed a baby means twenty minutes of listening to a baby crying. now, which restaurant wants that? or you can discretely put the baby on the boob and noone's any wiser.

Actually interested, why? Is the boobs? Is it the baby? Is it the milk? What offends your sensibilities so much?

Just don't get it at all :(

For me it's just something weird, it's not the boob, it's the baby. I'd probably have a MUCH easier time being near a breastfed baby, I can't stand seeing babies being fed with a bottle, and when they go onto solids... I just really, really can't handle it. And if I see (and smell) a baby spit up, I'm finished.

I have no idea WHY; I am 3 years older than my younger bro, and my mother told me she could not feed him at the table, because I would puke up. I thought I would outgrow it, but... 31 now, and still (almost) as bad.

Just thought I'd give you my perspective, though like I've already stated, I know this is a totally abnormal, unnatural reaction and the issue belongs only to me. If you're afraid of heights you don't go up the Eifel Tower then whinge that they built it too high; if you find babies eating as weird and horrible as I do, then you just don't eat when a baby's being fed. Simples.

• Advertisement

It amused me that you feign innocence and pretend your obnoxious comment is just a differing opinion. And it has been explained very clearly why it's idiotic.

I have every right to express my own opinion, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. In fact I find most of your reactions to my posts to be moronic but you still have every right to express your opinion. I have a female partner and when we are affectionate in public it often offends people, but that is their own view and they are perfectly entitled to it.

They are both natural bodily functions. I see I use a PRIVATE area to have a piss. Women should also use a PRIVATE area when they are being relieved of bodily fluids.

Your p!ss is bodily waste. Breast milk is baby food.

Do people really need this explained to them :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Just wondering ... do any of you who are in the anti-bf-in-public brigade have children of your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

What does that matter? they both involve exposing yourself. Breast feed in a private area like I piss in a private area. Thats my view on it.

Some remedial adults are out in force all right today - the date perhaps?

• Advertisement

I have every right to express my own opinion, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. .

And breast feeding mothers have the right to express milk whether you agree with it or not.

I have every right to express my own opinion, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. In fact I find most of your reactions to my posts to be moronic but you still have every right to express your opinion. I have a female partner and when we are affectionate in public it often offends people, but that is their own view and they are perfectly entitled to it.
    Is it that you're turned on by the tits that are mostly covered up? Is that why you're disgusted by breastfeeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

What does that matter? they both involve exposing yourself. Breast feed in a private area like I piss in a private area. Thats my view on it.
    you are not exposing yourself. it is perfectly possible to breastfeed without flashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Dont tell me you werent given the how to think handbook??

I have every right to express my own opinion, regardless of whether you agree with it or not.

And we are entitled to point out that your opinion is fcucking retarded.

• Advertisement

You are aware that breastfeeding is the primary function of breasts yes?

I find your analogy very offensive and I'm not even a militant bfeeder.

I can rest easy though in knowing that legislation quite rightly contradicts your opinion that you are, of course, wholly entitled to.

Dont tell me you werent given the how to think handbook??
    You cab think what you like, and others can argue with you for what you think - and call it rubbish when it is clearly rubbish. And while you cab think what you like, if you tell people what they should do, again, you can expect debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

g'em wrote: »
    Why is something that's so fundamentally natural so horrific? What is so 'ignorant' about a woman using her own body to feed her baby? Why do you find this so shocking?

Masturbation is just as natural...

busyliving wrote: »
    g'em wrote: »
    Why is something that's so fundamentally natural so horrific? What is so 'ignorant' about a woman using her own body to feed her baby? Why do you find this so shocking?

Haha - it's like a parody!

Do read on - your strawman has been addressed.

I'll wager you've never once seen a woman breastfeed in public if you think it involves exposing themselves.

You can survive without masturbation.

A baby cannot survive without food.

Science says you are wrong.

The Law says you are wrong.

The majority of people in this thread say that you are wrong.

Could it be that you are just.....wrong?

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Just wondering ... do any of you who are in the anti-bf-in-public brigade have children of your own?

I'd also out of curiosity like to know what percentage are women with this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

You can survive without masturbation.

Then you dont KNOW me! :P

I'd also out of curiosity like to know what percentage are women with this view.

I don't have children and might never have them. But I'm completely pro-breast feeding.

But I was raised in a house where all my siblings were breastfed as infants and I remember my cousins being breast fed to.

Just as formula bottles are the norm to some breast feeding was the norm to me.

Masturbation has no function other than to pleasure yourself. You don't have to do it, you choose to do it to get self gratification. It has no other useful biological purpose whatsoever.

How is that a fair comparison in your opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

A few references here that mothers should express milk and bring it with them. Its my understanding that they express the milk produced when they are away from the baby, for when they are going to be separated again. When they are with the baby its only natural that they feed directly. Also breast fed babies nappies don't smell as bad, a major +1 while eating your meal.

but does it stop you from doing it? should you have to only do it at home? no? then you just answered your own question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Mothers dont have to breast feed either. They can use a bottle

Why would they do something that has been scientifically proven, again and again, to be far inferior to the natural method that billions of years of evolution has provided.

they can, but they shouldnt have to,are people being stupid on purpose in here today?

IF a person believes that I shouldn't do it or that I should only do it at home then they are PERFECTLY entitled to do so! I dislike the thought of breastfeeding and I would like women to do it at home, I am allowed to be offended by something which you disagree with.

IF a person believes that I shouldn't do it or that I should only do it at home then they are PERFECTLY entitled to do so! I dislike the thought of breastfeeding and I would like women to do it at home, I am allowed to be offended by something which you disagree with.

what specifically dont you like about it then?

I have every right to express my own opinion, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. In fact I find most of your reactions to my posts to be moronic
    it gets funnier. Why moronic? All I see is people making well substantiated points. Angrily yes, but due to narrow-minded horrible attitudes like yours. Could it be... that they're not moronic reactions and that it's more to do with you not liking being told you're full of sh1t?
    Nobody said you can't express your opinion - you're the one saying others are being unreasonable for dismissing your opinion, but they're just expressing their opinion too right?

The "You're all against me because I have a differing opinion" card us always pulled for even the most vile, hate-filled venom here. It's pathetic. No, it's not just because it's a "differing" opinion. And there are people here who say they don't feel comfortable about breastfeeding in public, and do so in a reasonable way - and lo and behold, they're not attacked.

If you don't like seeing breastfeeding, fair enough, you can't control it - it's how you feel. Maybe work on it though, seeing as the breast is usually covered up anyway, and you really don't have to look.

But saying women should breastfeed at home just because YOU personally have a problem with it, even though they have a legal right? ****ing hell - and you get all defensive when people rightly object to that shyte...? :eek: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Wow..

This thread is mad.

I've read the whole thread and can't believe that some people are bothered by a woman breastfeeding in public.

Any of you who haven't seen it, just probably haven't noticed because any women I know who breastfeed do it discreetly, so much so that unless you were sitting right beside them you wouldn't even notice.

Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world.

Some people on here really need to get a bit more education in living!

:)

• Advertisement

Of course you would immediately become homophobic, what a wonderful defence. I absolutely love a good breast with a baby hanging off it, what lesbian doesn't? You find my post ignorant and I also find your post incredibly ignorant, however you demonstrated my point. You are entitled to express your opinion, as am I.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement