Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foxs at Lambing ?

• 31-03-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Last night / this morning around 3ish i was out checking the ewes as i always do at that time since the lambing started .
    Im lambing them out in a 3 acre field beside the farm and bring them in as they lamb for about 5 days , and then off to fresh grass they go .
    Up until last night i havent seen sight nor sound of a fox this season , however last night i found 2 at either ends of the lambing field snooping through the sheep .
    My close neighbour across the way is having a bit of trouble with the fox as they have taken 4 lambs on him so far .
    However he told me this morning , that he found the body of a hoggets lamb , with the head and tail missing in the field . I always thought the fox would take the entire lamb and not just eat part of it where it was lambed ?????
    Am i wrong , and are 5 day old lambs a target for the fox or is the freshness gone off them ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Richk2012 wrote: »
    I always thought the fox would take the entire lamb and not just eat part of it where it was lambed ?????
    Am i wrong , and are 5 day old lambs a target for the fox or is the freshness gone off them ??

It depends on the seize of the fox and the lamb carcass - a small carcass will be carried off but a larger one will be butchered as you describe and bits removed over time leaving a partially eaten carcass.

PS: If your having trouble with foxes you should post in the hunting forum where plenty of lads would be only too keen to lamp or trap a few for ya:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Years ago, when we had sheep, the fox would take lambs up to 3 week of age. gas gun is the only solution for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

munkus wrote: »
    Years ago, when we had sheep, the fox would take lambs up to 3 week of age. gas gun is the only solution for them.

To be honest I would consider a gas gun a waste of time foxes are cute and will soon get wise to the gas gun. For someone with a bit of know how they would have that fox dead in a night either by shooting or a snare. Either way a problem fox is better being killed because if the banger puts him off your patch he is only going to go to your neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Go here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1014

The only kind of a gun that'll sort a fox is one that shoots lead at high speed. Plenty of people on that forum that are capable of taking care of the problem permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭razor8

I had lambs with heads chopped off about 3 years ago. it was such a clean cut you would think it was done with an axe.
    We believed it was pine martens that were doing it at the time but could never prove it. It was right next to a forest

• Advertisement
Advertisement