Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting masonry

• 31-03-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Spent today removing the old paint from the garden wall, so it's stripped right back to the masonry.

Is is essential to seal the masonry before applying the primer for a decent long lasting finish? Or will priming alone do the trick? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Stabilizing Solution on wall then any good exterior emulsion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Spent today removing the old paint from the garden wall, so it's stripped right back to the masonry.

Is is essential to seal the masonry before applying the primer for a decent long lasting finish? Or will priming alone do the trick? Thanks.

Can I ask how you removed the paint and got it back to bare masonary?

This is on my list of things to do...soon.

Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

paddy147 wrote: »

A good methodical blitz with an industrial powerwasher will get you there Paddy. Will make a hell of a mess though as the tiny paint particles will go everywhere, but if you can live with it, wind and rain will blow them away eventually. It also has the capacity to damage dodgy masonry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

paddy147 wrote: »

Used one of THESE Paddy attached to an angle grinder. Well actually, I used 2. The first one eventually wore down. They are twisted wire, so are extremely tough. I had about 3 layers of paint to get through though. A normal wire brush might suit better.

Headed over to Woodies earlier to pick up the stabiliser but the only one they had was €45 for 2.5L :eek: There must be cheaper out there, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Used one of THESE Paddy attached to an angle grinder. Well actually, I used 2. The first one eventually wore down. They are twisted wire, so are extremely tough. I had about 3 layers of paint to get through though. A normal wire brush might suit better.

Headed over to Woodies earlier to pick up the stabiliser but the only one they had was €45 for 2.5L :eek: There must be cheaper out there, right?

A Builders Providers or any Paint trade shop (Crown Trade or Fleetwood Trade Paints).

Both will sell to the public too.:)

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

No need for stabilizing solution if you've stripped it back to bare masonry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

No need for stabilizing solution if you've stripped it back to bare masonry.

Really? I thought the whole point of using stabilising solution was when you were back to bare masonry :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Really? I thought the whole point of using stabilising solution was when you were back to bare masonry :confused:

No,you use stabilising solution if the wall is dusty,chaulky but if you have gone back to masonary then masonary paint is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rungmc

Stabilizing solution will cost you about 50 for 5l in most shops, although I've only ever seen it in5l cans so either way, you're gonna be 50 quid down.

Just wondering why did the OP strip the paint work back to the bare wall? If it was sound then all it would of needed was a couple of coats of good exterior paint.

It was assumed by me that the walls weren't great and that's why all the paint had to come off. So stabilizing was suggested before putting on new exterior emulsion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

mad m wrote: »
    Just wondering why did the OP strip the paint work back to the bare wall? If it was sound then all it would of needed was a couple of coats of good exterior paint.

It was assumed by me that the walls weren't great and that's why all the paint had to come off. So stabilizing was suggested before putting on new exterior emulsion.

You only use sabilizing solution if walls are caulky. If walls are sound and no dust on your hand if you rub it, all you need to do is thin out first coat with 10% water where walls are bare and two coats full over that.

gugsy wrote: »
    You only use sabilizing solution if walls are caulky. If walls are sound and no dust on your hand if you rub it, all you need to do is thin out first coat with 10% water where walls are bare and two coats full over that.

I know this and so does the OP now, your missing my point, the OP didn't state if walls were chalky or dusty. I'm just wondering why the OP had to strip it right back to the bare masonry in first place, the only reason I can see if it was flaking and was dusty or chalky...

That's all I was wondering...

Advertisement