Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"This image requires a gold account to be viewed"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Post it anyway, I've a gold account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Post pron now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

They want a Gold Account this year but if you register then next year they'll want a Platinium account and then a diamond account, the bastards.
    Occupy Boards St. NOW!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I like how they didn't let the joke get in the way of ads though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

amacachi wrote: »
    Yup because 5 web servers 3 database machines two load balancers, 24/7 power totally pay for themselves.

Normal service has resumed now anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

/checks to see what the_syco's sig normally looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Silverfish wrote: »
    /checks to see what the_syco's sig normally looks like.
    I put the max amount of smilies into the sig as I could, whilst still being within boards.ie sig rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

the_syco wrote: »
    I put the max amount of smilies into the sig as I could, whilst still being within boards.ie sig rules.
    clever-girl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Oh boo ****ing hoo.

I'm sure you'll all survive for a few hours without seeing pics.

It's like ebay preventing you from buying some of the goods on sale as a joke.

Really stupid. Don't know who came up with this idea but they should be made to strip naked for next years SSF as punishment. :D

When several forums become unusable as a 'joke', it stops being a joke. Thankfully it was just for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

One of the poorer April Fool's jokes I have seen.

I couldn't post on threads for around 30 minutes after midnight, presumably because of this prank.

Must do better next year, or don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I thought it was a good one, a way of showing what the site would be like if they had to try and restrict images to ones that posters could show they owned.

It didn't make the whole site unusable, I mean really come on it's a discussion site were we use text to communicate.

Sharrow wrote: »
    I thought it was a good one, a way of showing what the site would be like if they had to try and restrict images to ones that posters could show they owned.

It didn't make the whole site unusable, I mean really come on it's a discussion site were we use text to communicate.
    Not the photography section, or CPV&L

Also, everytime I tried to start a thread or post a reply I was getting the error, so yeah, it did affect the site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bitch, bitch, bitch. It was just a bad joke and a mild reduction of a free service on one of the quietest nights of the week. Dry your eyes and get over it, you pussies.

1st_4.jpg
    Tallon wrote: »
    Also, everytime I tried to start a thread or post a reply I was getting the error, so yeah, it did affect the site!

For the better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Pussies? Bitch?

I think whatever humour there was in this is being somewhat depleted.

I like that boards.ie plays jokes like this. But there's no need to get so defensive if not everyone finds it hilarious.

later12 wrote: »
    Pussies? Bitch?

I think whatever humour there was in this is being somewhat depleted.

I like that boards.ie plays jokes like this. But there's no need to get so defensive if not everyone finds it hilarious.

I don't find it funny either but anyone posting annoyed whinging about how inconvenienced they are by not being able to see pics or post for a few hours really need to develop a sense of perspective.

I don't find it funny either but anyone posting annoyed whinging about how inconvenienced they are by not being able to see pics or post for a few hours really need to develop a sense of perspective.

May as well just close the feedback forum eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Yeah why inconvenience the corporations when you can annoy the whole of your userbase while making whole forums unuseable.

You guys don't do funny very well.

Whoever thought of this one deserves a paddlin.

Why bother with this forum so if we're not allowed give negative feedback. Or do we have to get out the laughter gas so that a stupid attempt of an April Fools day joke becomes mildly amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Can you explain it...

survival-faraway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

May as well just close the feedback forum eh?
    You think feedback should solely be feedback discussion that is in parallel with your position? If this is true, we may as well just close the feedback forum eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

This thread disappeared yesterday.

Was it technical issues, or did someone not like criticism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Neither, I mass deleted a troll's posts and didn't realise he created this thread, so I undeleted it.

Gordon wrote: »
    You think feedback should solely be feedback discussion that is in parallel with your position? If this is true, we may as well just close the feedback forum eh?

"Bitch, bitch, bitch", "you pussies". It wasn't me who said that anyone disagreeing with me "needs to develop a sense of perspective".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Quick question, do the rules regarding personal abuse go out the window for Feedback only or is it the case that calling people 'Pussies' isn't considered personal abuse. If I called Gordon a pussy I assume I would be banned or infracted. Why is Frada met with such generosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Skid wrote: »
    This thread disappeared yesterday.

Was it technical issues, or did someone not like criticism?
    I saw that myself, it was a case of the OP was a re-reg getting around a ban. thread reinstated once the moderator realised what he done :).

We care about good and bad feedback as long as it's constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Morricone wrote: »
    Quick question, do the rules regarding personal abuse go out the window for Feedback only or is it the case that calling people 'Pussies' isn't considered personal abuse. If I called Gordon a pussy I assume I would be banned or infracted. Why is Frada met with such generosity?

Good question, is this type of abuse/carry-on ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Morricone wrote: »

It's arguable that the way Frada phrased it was that it was attacking the post and not the posters i.e. the post was bitching, not that Tallon is a bitch. He also said "you pussies", no-one was directly called anything.

It was an April Fools joke that some people didn't like - it can get more than a little frustrating at times when you see folk complaining extensively about a joke pulled on a service that they get absolutely for free. So the guys wanted a bit of a laugh and it interrupted some posters viewing of certain threads. Is it really worthy of that much complaining? I dunno, I can see why Frada got so exasperated tbh. Especially given that he's a Mod of CVPL and of all the people who it created most disruption for it would be him.

So to answer your question no, personal abuse is not allowed. What Frada said could be argued either way if I'm honest, but given the context of the discussion I'm not going to action anything. Frada, just reign it in a bit though yeah?

g'em wrote: »
    Frada, just reign it in a bit though yeah?

For you? Anything. :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think an April Fool's gag doesn't work if you can't actually see* the reactions of the people you're fooling. I'm not sure who enjoyed this one, but if someone got a laugh out if it that's all that matters.

*read/hear/whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

g'em wrote: »
    It was an April Fools joke that some people didn't like - it can get more than a little frustrating at times when you see folk complaining extensively about a joke pulled on a service that they get absolutely for free. So the guys wanted a bit of a laugh and it interrupted some posters viewing of certain threads. Is it really worthy of that much complaining? I dunno, I can see why Frada got so exasperated tbh. Especially given that he's a Mod of CVPL and of all the people who it created most disruption for it would be him.
    This post has me confused. First you say it's frustrating when people complain at a joke, but then say you see why people didn't like it

You also seem to imply that because this is a free service, we are completely at the mercy of the whims of people in the office? Free service or not, standards should be maintained for the users. Yes, this was just an April Fools joke. However it was also an unfunny, unoriginal, and inconveniencing joke, thus p1ssing off a sizeable number of the people you should be looking out for. How anyone thought it was a good idea is beyond me

It was obviously a joke, I can't imaging many people falling for it. So instead of a joke, it was the censoring of any and all pictures, for no real reason at all

• Advertisement

Just to point out, you say it's a free service, G'em, yet boards is happy to take my money every month.. I know I don't have to pay it, I'm just saying!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement