Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Aircraft Carrier coming to Dublin - 1st September

• 01-04-2012 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Focking awesome :)
    USS Enterprise (CVN-65), formerly CVA(N)-65, is the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and the eighth United States naval vessel to bear the name. Like her predecessor of World War II fame, she is nicknamed the "Big E". At 1,123 ft (342 m),[3][4] she is the longest naval vessel in the world. Her 93,284 long tons (94,781 t)[2] displacement ranks her as the 11th-heaviest supercarrier, after the 10 carriers of the Nimitz class. Enterprise has a crew of some 4,600 people.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

01 Sep 12 USS Enterprise TBC CVN 65 Dublin Navy/Notre Dame game

http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056592772

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Is this the same as the one that was here before?

Edit.....might have been JFK actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Loads of youngwans getting Ridden in lanes again

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

It's actually a cunning Fine Gael plan to distract Richard Boyd Barrett from the Household Tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The JFK was Herr, but i'm not sure if they'll be allowed in because of the ban on nuclear written in to our law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I have pissed in your panties on your behalf

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The JFK was Herr, but i'm not sure if they'll be allowed in because of the ban on nuclear written in to our law.

I assume that these things don't actually dock over here. Just drops anchor a mile or two outside dun laoighre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Wow. A chance to meet Captain Picard. And Data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The child in me is thinking: Yay! Planes and bombs and ships and stuff.

The adult in me is thinking: GTFO with your stupid out-dated ships and cold war machinery and waste of US tax payer's money and ridiculously small-penis-big-car military.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

They're here for our oil lads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Johro wrote: »
    Wow. A chance to meet Captain Picard. And Data.

Surely you mean Kirk and Spock? :D

• Advertisement

**** it. Let's get our most adept scumbags to seize it. Take it over and sail to Germany.Its our only hope lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

emo72 wrote: »
    I assume that these things don't actually dock over here. Just drops anchor a mile or two outside dun laoighre?

Less a case of they don't dock and more a case of they physically can't dock since we don't have big enough quays. These boats are monsters; I watched the Irish Ferries boat travelling from Dublin port to Holyhead vanish completely behind the JFK and it wasn't even reaching up to the flight-deck in height terms.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Surely you mean Kirk and Spock? :D
    It's 'the next generation' Enterprise. And don't call me Shirley.:p

Up the Liffey at warp speed 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Big Phil reckoned there might be grief getting a few quid in from the proles and asked Barak to send over "a big schtick" to help rattle up the bobs. Hilary Clinton took the call and misunderstood, thought he said "a big dick" so asked Bill to come over. He's a little deaf these days and thought she said "a big deck" so he sent a carrier.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

Would they be allowed to do a fly over of Croke Park for the football game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

**** it. Let's get our most adept scumbags to seize it. Take it over and sail to Germany.Its our only hope lads!

Charlie's dead,but Bertie's still floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

No to foreign games and foreign military aircraft :mad:

:pac:

I remember being awestruck as a kid when I saw a pair of F 14s streaking low over the treetops over my gran's house in Kerry that time the carrier JFK visited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I remember being awestruck as a kid when I saw a pair of F 14s streaking low over the treetops over my gran's house in Kerry that time the carrier JFK visited.

I think he was long dead when F14s appeared in the sky.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think he was long dead when F14s appeared in the sky.

I was talking about this JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Great chance to see a ship used in a conflict that killed over 100,000 civilians.

Fu*k knows why they're allowed anywhere near here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Wow! It's over 58 years old and has been at everything from the Cuban Missile Crisis to Operation Iraqi Freedom :eek:

Imagine how people have died as a result?

Would love to see it though :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Just to put into perspective how incredibly large the USS enterprise is, it's crew is 3 times larger than that of the entire Irish Navy. Going to be great to see it in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Keep bragging about all of the gas and oil off the coast of Ireland !!

You're only doing it to yourselves !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wonder will Michael D keep quiet and not embarrass us

The Enterprise?
    Cool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Americaaaaaaahhh, fcuk yeah !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

kincsem wrote: »
    Boring.

Dirty great aircraft carrier > smelly horse.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lets hope they manage to vaporize the spire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The adult in me is thinking: GTFO with your stupid out-dated ships and cold war machinery and waste of US tax payer's money and ridiculously small-penis-big-car military.
    This.

From an engineering point of view - Brilliant.

From a moral point of view - fuck off with your big war machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't want them steaming their carrier into here with Nautical terrorism on their minds. If its going to be a fight let it be a fair fight. We'll align our naval vessels off the coast of Kerry on the point of Lusitania's sinking and launch the attack from there!!!!!!!

El Weirdo wrote: »
    fuck off with your big war machine.

Yep, but with nobody to fight!

The super carriers were a cold war thing when the idea of the red menace was vivid in the minds of the paranoid and opportunist but now?

In before Manic Moran. (Who I'll listen to and consider but may not agree with).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Yep, but with nobody to fight!

The super carriers were a cold war thing when the idea of the red menace was vivid in the minds of the paranoid and opportunist but now?

In before Manic Moran. (Who I'll listen to and consider but may not agree with).

Now they are merely used in any major conflict or humanitarian disaster around the world, are still the most versatile weapon system in the world. The Chinese are building one, and will build more. They are far from useless.

Maybe your thinking of a battleship as being obsolete.

El Weirdo wrote: »

From a moral point of view - fuck off with your big war machine.

Really, its immoral to have a visit from another nations Navy or to go see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

What a dilema for all those nutters over in Mayo. Protest against natural gas or drop their placards and rush to Dublin to protest nuclear power, war ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

SamHarris wrote: »
    Really, its immoral to have a visit from another nations Navy or to go see it?
    "Moral" maybe not the best word, but it was the best I could come up with due to my intoxication.

By all means, go to see it and wonder at the marvel at its undoubted magnificence and engineering beauty - just don't forget that it and others like it have been involved in many deaths of innocents in unnecessary wars.

Now they are merely used in any major conflict or humanitarian disaster around the world

Any major conflict where US interests (not the interests of ordinary American folk) are challenged.
    are still the most versatile weapon system in the world.

If you think a multi billion dollar weapons platform is versatile then, at best, I don't put any faith in your understanding of what the word 'versatile' means and at worst I think you are a shill or a troll.
    The Chinese are building one, and will build more. They are far from useless.

To protect Chinese 'interests' which may not be the interests of ordinary Chinese folks. Sounds familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Carriers continue to play a vital role in modern warfare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

They're definitely far from outdated, nothing wrong (war-wise) with a honking great 100k ton ship projecting air power for thousands of miles. True, they'd see more use against a big country than the likes of Iraq, but they're still very useful.

bwatson wrote: »
    Carriers continue to play a vital role in modern warfare!

Only if you have an enemy - whether the enemy is real or constructed. Nothing unites people within a geographic border than a perceived threat whether that threat is real or not.

The US could probably protect the interests of the majority of the people within the geographic boundaries of the US by having no S.C.s at all and spending the money on infrastructure or healthcare.

Let's face it - there's not much in the way of natural resources in the US to protect or control - unlike, say, the middle east, Africa or Russia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Keep bragging about all of the gas and oil off the coast of Ireland !!

You're only doing it to yourselves !!
    Of course, Watson! They want that oil off Cork!

Now WE'RE gonna be in the Axle Of Elvis Axis Of Evil. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

ted1 wrote: »

The ban refers to nuclear fission as a means of creating electricity for the grid so unless they plan on plugging it in then its grand.

And the football game will be in the Aviva not Croker.

Let's face it - there's not much in the way of natural resources in the US to protect or control - unlike, say, the middle east, Africa or Russia...

You have no idea what your talking about most of the time, do you?

People here should really become more aware that they can have their own "opinion" all they want, they cant have their own facts.

You have no idea what your talking about most of the time, do you?

Do you have something of substance to say or are you on drugs or something?

Edit: You've changed your post a few times since I replied so the above is the reply to your original post.

Do you have something of substance to say or are you on drugs or something?

Edit: You've changed your post a few times since I replied so the above is the reply to your original post.

The US has 24% of the worlds coal reserves.

With fracking it has the second biggest reserves of oil.

It has the most natural gass in the world.

Try not to make statements of "fact" when you are clearly so very ignorant on what the "facts" are. This goes for both countries relative rescources, and the utility of what aircraft carriers is or was.

Id appreciate it if you just checked and google, um.... everything your about to post about before you go ahead and pull the trigger? I get embarrassed for people when they demonstrate such ignorance. I guess Im just sensitive.

Third highest copper...

Are you one of those poor souls that confuse what they HOPE is true ("oh boy, I hope those americans dont have many natural rescources") with what has been proven to be so? Seems to happen a hell of alot around here...

With fracking it has the second biggest reserves of oil.

Fracking doesn't produce oil ya big dummy. Seriously, are you impaired or something?
    It has the most natural gass in the world.

Lol ^^ .

I don't even have to use google to realise that you are talking thru your hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement