Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Aircraft Carrier coming to Dublin - 1st September

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Fracking doesn't produce oil ya big dummy. Seriously, are you impaired or something?

Wrong again...

Hydraulic fracturing is the propagation of fractures in a rock layer caused by the presence of a pressurized fluid. Hydraulic fractures form naturally, as in the case of veins or dikes, and is one means by which gas and petroleum from source rocks may migrate to reservoir rocks.

From the Wikipedia page. You know the site?

I don't even have to use google to realise that you are talking thru your hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_natural_gas_production

You probably should have.

Im bored of you now. Next time, try not to have an opinion, it saddens me to point out how wrong you are. Feels like beating up a cripple.

I always knew the hand wringing anti US crowd was just chalk full of the cluless. Even I had no idea it was this bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Good it may bomb us, but we deserve it, The irish we should have stayed with the british,,,,Fiana fail shows, we really are not that bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

SamHarris wrote: »
    Wrong again...

You said that the US has the highest oil reserves if fracking is included yet you choose to include gas and oil? Make up your mind? Also, having oil does not mean economically extractable unlike, say, the middle east or the Caspian sea.

Look at the stats.. what does it say that contradicts you? The rest of the world has the highest gas reserves not the US. Also, what exactly are reserves? Canada has decades of oil reserves in tar sands but are the economically viable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

SamHarris wrote: »
    Im bored of you now. Next time, try not to have an opinion, it saddens me to point out how wrong you are. Feels like beating up a cripple.

Try not to have an opinion? Why? You'll send in the super carriers to make sure your opinion is the only valid one? No. You will never ever shut up people like me no matter how big your guns are.
    I always knew the hand wringing anti US crowd was just chalk full of the cluless. Even I had no idea it was this bad.

I'm pro-US you dummy shill. I'm just not pro-US neocons and elites like you seem to be.

When you learn the difference then you might see that.

You said that the US has the highest oil reserves if fracking is included yet you choose to include gas and oil?
    Make up your mind? Also, having oil does not mean economically extractable unlike, say, the middle east or the Caspian sea.

Read. More. Carefully. Thats not what it says. It says fracking can extract petroleum. As in - You were wrong. Surprise surprise.
    Look at the stats.. what does it say that contradicts you? The rest of the world has the highest gas reserves not the US. Also, what exactly are reserves? Canada has decades of oil reserves in tar sands but are the economically viable?

Can you not even read a table? Thats the sum total of the worlds reserves. Thats right, the US is on the world.

Clutch at all the straws you want, cant make it any clearer than the figures do.

Next time you might want to actually try and know something about what your talking about before starting an argument. Just a little bit of advice.

Im done with you, I think you've been shown enough for one day ;)

Try not to have an opinion? Why? You'll send in the super carriers to make sure your opinion is the only valid one? No. You will never ever shut up people like me no matter how big your guns are.

I'm pro-US you dummy shill. I'm just not pro-US neocons and elites like you seem to be.

When you learn the difference then you might see that.

Is this serious?

Your certainly making me feel elite by comparison, Ill give you that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In before Manic Moran. (Who I'll listen to and consider but may not agree with).

Heh.

I've not much to say on this one, actually. I was one of the lucky lottery winners to get aboard JFK when it showed up last time. Of course, I've been on a few more carriers since. I seem to recall it was around for 4th July, and started the tradition of a fireworks display on 4th July by the Liffey which lasted a few years. That was a fair bit of fun.

I also seem to recall the entire nation keeling to the East as half the female population of the nation went to Dublin.

Enterprise is shortly going out of service. It's a fascinating piece of equipment, and will soon be scrapped. Might as well look at it now while you can, the opportunity doesn't come often to Ireland.
    If you think a multi billion dollar weapons platform is versatile then, at best, I don't put any faith in your understanding of what the word 'versatile' means and at worst I think you are a shill or a troll.

I'm not sure quite what you mean by that. Enterprise itself, granted, is not incredibly versatile: Its sole function is to launch and recover aircraft. But what those aircraft have been used for is anything from comabt missions through supporting the earliest space missions to humanitarian missions and search/rescue. This doesn't deny the fact that the primary reason it was built was to kill people and destroy things, but it has proven quite serviceable in other roles.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

So the prophecy's of boards.ie are comming true, US is comming here for oil? The republic of cork will be f***ed... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

44leto wrote: »
    Good it may bomb us, but we deserve it, The irish we should have stayed with the british,,,,Fiana fail shows, we really are not that bright

Charlie Haughey's government paid for a airport in Knock that cost a fortune at the time but was one of only 3 airports on the island capable of catering for the largest American military planes. Maybe he wanted a US base we could lease to the Yanks if everything went pear shaped?

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    This.

From an engineering point of view - Brilliant.

From a moral point of view - fuck off with your big war machine.

Thank FcUK for the Americans and their hardware. Don`t fancy the Gulags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackdock88

These war ships to me represent a massive waste of taxpayer money that could potentially have been never taken from workers but instead invested in businesses to make everybody better off.

Businesses like Raytheon, Grumman, Newport News Shipbuilding, Westinghouse... all employing American workers?

Thank FcUK for the Americans and their hardware. Don`t fancy the Gulags.

If it was not for the Yanks we would be speaking German or Russian.
    And if life in Muslim countries is so great, why do they all want to live in the west?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

April Fool? I'm not gonna get excited about anything I read today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pete M. wrote: »
    Operation Iraqi Freedom

You mean Operation Iraqi Liberation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 irjudge

GODDAMIT, YOU PEOPLE WITH MORALS RUIN EVERYTHING! S'pose I'll have to go to the electric picnic instead, smoke my pants and eat fallafel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, the Enterprise definitely won't be steaming up the Liffey, or even docking at Dublin Port; neither have the required depth (12m).

The thing is a white elephant and a political football. The US Navy spent two years and $662 million refurbishing her in 2008-10, yet this trip comes during her last deployment. She'll be decommissioned in 2013 and broken up. It would cost too much to turn her in to a museum.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

44leto wrote: »

Is this sentence in English can anyone tell me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

That argument between Chuck Stone and Sam Harris was funnier, change the channel back to that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bnt wrote: »
    Well, the Enterprise definitely won't be steaming up the Liffey, or even docking at Dublin Port; neither have the required depth (12m).

The thing is a white elephant and a political football. The US Navy spent two years and $662 million refurbishing her in 2008-10, yet this trip comes during her last deployment. She'll be decommissioned in 2013 and broken up. It would cost too much to turn her in to a museum.
    They should replace the intrepid with the big E in NYC the amount of visitors it would get would be astronomical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was talking about this JFK.

Sorry, I must have been asleep.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

The invasion begins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Was on one of these in new york and they had the blackbird up on top, amazing plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Enterprise is shortly going out of service. It's a fascinating piece of equipment, and will soon be scrapped. Might as well look at it now while you can, the opportunity doesn't come often to Ireland.

NTM

I wouldn't call a machinethat has a primary aim of killing people as ''fascinating''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Gonna be a great weekend in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

tony007 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a machinethat has a primary aim of killing people as ''fascinating''.

Why not?

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I would. There are a number of museums around the world that cater to those that agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

More importantly, hot men in uniform :D

wyndham wrote: »
    Gonna be a great weekend in Dublin.

maybe they could liberate us from our elected politicians and govern us properly?....as we have proven we cannot govern ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Would they be allowed to do a fly over of Croke Park for the football game?

Allowed? I don't think we would be in a position to stop them if they decided they wanted to.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I would. There are a number of museums around the world that cater to those that agree with me.

Seeing that the ship is still in use, it has no place in a museum. This ship is still being used to further the aims of us foreign policy.

true wrote: »
    maybe they could liberate us from our elected politicians and govern us properly?....as we have proven we cannot govern ourselves.

Yeah, they should install someone likePinochet.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Seeing that the ship is still in use, it has no place in a museum. This ship is still being used to further the aims of us foreign policy.

Certainly doesn't make it less interesting as a feat of engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

Businesses like Raytheon, Grumman, Newport News Shipbuilding, Westinghouse... all employing American workers?

The business of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Would love to go and see it. Always been fascinated by the scale of some of the American military machinery.

Certainly doesn't make it less interesting as a feat of engineering.

No, it doesn't. But would you have any qualms regarding visiting a German U-boat docked in dublin during the second world war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nope. It's a machine for killing folk and wrecking stuff. If you really think the side using it is significant as to whether it's impressive, you're looking at it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Awesome, I'm heading back home from New York around that date, might try hitch a ride back home with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

No, it doesn't. But would you have any qualms regarding visiting a German U-boat docked in dublin during the second world war?

Submarines are interesting too.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

As mechanical engineering student I'd love to see this thing, amazing stuff.

As an average Joe, I'd also love to see this thing, amazing stuff.

As mechanical engineering student I'd love to see this thing, amazing stuff.

As an average Joe, I'd also love to see this thing, amazing stuff.

Follow the link in my post above - It's NOT coming!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

FGS Hessen with 2 other German War ships are coming on the 27th of April. We can practice our disapproval of murder machines on them first

http://www.opsail2012virginia.com/file/FGS_HESSEN.jpg

seanmacc wrote: »
    FGS Hessen with 2 other German War ships are coming on the 27th of April. We can practice our disapproval of murder machines on them first

http://www.opsail2012virginia.com/file/FGS_HESSEN.jpg

"Ve haff vays ov making you pay ze promissory notes, ya?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Johro wrote: »
    Wow. A chance to meet Captain Picard. And Data.

If they bring Tasha Yar back from the dead I am there.

And erect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Why is the Yankee Army sending this Aircraft carrier to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Why is the Yankee Army sending this Aircraft carrier to Dublin?

......there was an intercepted message on Wikileaks a while back. Most of it was redacted but it read

".......do the men good,..... ........ particularily in light of........moxy load of spare .ee"

PapaQuebec wrote: »

That seems to settle that. False information.
    Nope. It's a machine for killing folk and wrecking stuff. If you really think the side using it is significant as to whether it's impressive, you're looking at it wrong.

U-505, a Type IXC is a museum in Chicago right now, actually. Reminds me, I must visit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I'd hate to be such a wiggly little moaner that I'd be shîting on about unnecessary wars and regurgitating wanky liberal philosophies when faced with this amazing ship. What a joyless life they must lead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement