Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Aircraft Carrier coming to Dublin - 1st September

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The avearge joe soap wont get near that american warship,as it will be docked a few miles out in Dublin bay.

If its anything like the last time the American aircraft carrier docked out in the bay,there will be a no go and no fly zone all around the boat,of up to a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Johro wrote: »
    Wow. A chance to meet Captain Picard. And Data.

Data died, sorry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Why is the Yankee Army sending this Aircraft carrier to Dublin?

Yankee army? You do realise that the Johnny Rebs were beaten a long time ago don't you? Hence rendering your use of such terminology, well past its sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

The child in me is thinking: Yay! Planes and bombs and ships and stuff.

The adult in me is thinking: GTFO with your stupid out-dated ships and cold war machinery and waste of US tax payer's money and ridiculously small-penis-big-car military.

Aircraft carriers like this mean people like you and I sleep safely at night.

Whenever rogue states see aircraft carriers over the horizon, they always back down.

Just wondering though are they here to ensure we conform to the IMF deal? Could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yankee army? You do realise that the Johnny Rebs were beaten a long time ago don't you? Hence rendering your use of such terminology, well past its sell by date.
    US Army or Yankee Army, doesn't make a big difference to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Businesses like Raytheon, Grumman, Newport News Shipbuilding, Westinghouse... all employing American workers?

That's hardly the productive economy though. These companies are funded by US tax payers so could be viewed as a drain on the economy rather than a pillar of it.
    I'd hate to be such a wiggly little moaner that I'd be shîting on about unnecessary wars and regurgitating wanky liberal philosophies when faced with this amazing ship. What a joyless life they must lead.

I would love to see it FWIW. I love watching programs about how they build AC's, subs and fighter aircraft. I can appreciate the engineering expertise and use of technology but that doesn't mean I have to like what it represents.
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    Aircraft carriers like this mean people like you and I sleep safely at night.

There may have been an argument for that during the cold war but now that's just rubbish imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

If you think a multi billion dollar weapons platform is versatile then, at best, I don't put any faith in your understanding of what the word 'versatile' means and at worst I think you are a shill or a troll.

The Enterprise or any modern aircraft carrier is an extremely versatile military platform. Some of the tasks its aircraft can accomplish: air-to-air , air supremacy/superiority, air-to-ground/attack sorties, suppression of enemy air defences, search and rescue, some anti-submarine warfare, and other assorted missions like anti-ship attack and special operations launching platforms.

Aircraft carriers have been hugely advantageous in history. They were an essential tool in the Pacific in WWII right up to today in Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Without them, missions may not have been possible or extremely difficult.

Carriers are very versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Well funny enough my name is not Paddy or Mick and chances are that while out of Ireland someone will still call me Paddy or mick just because im Irish...
    You would think that one is past its sell by date aswell at this stage!!

Americans will allways be called yanks just like we will allways be called paddys and micks!!

. Carriers are very versatile.

Nope. I just can't view an AC as a versatile thing.

Versatile.

A ****ing big war machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Versatile.

Aircraft Carriers are preventing piracy off the coast of Somalia and allowing you to buy items such as your multi tool that is made in china in your local shop. They helped bring down a dictator in Libya and stopped a genocide in Bosnia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

If the US wanted to park their whole Atlantic Fleet in Dublin Bay for the next 2 winters I would not give a flying fiddlers fart and I would go to see them with my flying fiddlers farts intact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

paddymick wrote: »
    Well funny enough my name is not Paddy or Mick and chances are that while out of Ireland someone will still call me Paddy or mick just because im Irish...
    You would think that one is past its sell by date aswell at this stage!!

Americans will allways be called yanks just like we will allways be called paddys and micks!!

What an utterly pointless post to make and what relevance does this have to my earlier post? Perhaps you should try and read it again and hopefully you'll see it. One can only assume that you need to brush up on your American history. Because 'Yank' and 'Yankee' do not mean the same thing I'm afraid.

Joko wrote: »
    Aircraft Carriers are preventing piracy off the coast of Somalia

Don't make me laugh. It doesn't take a multi billion dollar AC to quell a few pirates with AK47s.
    and allowing you to buy items such as your multi tool that is made in china in your local shop.

Rubbish.
    They helped bring down a dictator in Libya and stopped a genocide in Bosnia.

Meh

Versatile.

Oh deary me.

I'm correct. Aircraft carriers are incredibly versatile. Your second image only serves to reinforce my initial point. You're seeing past that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would love to get a tour of one, Just to see it. That is all :-)

Don't make me laugh. It doesn't take a multi billion dollar AC to quell a few pirates with AK47s.

Rubbish.

Meh

Wow your argument skills are impressive...

Go on tell me without military hardware, how would you police world trade on the oceans. And don't point me to a wall of text that you probably didn't read yourself.

Joko wrote: »
    Go on tell me without military hardware, how would you police world trade on the oceans. And don't point me to a wall of text that you probably didn't read yourself.

We're talking about S.C.s.

There's a difference between policing world trade on the oceans and having a massively out-sized military.

Even military experts are questioning the role of S.C.s in the modern era of cruise missiles and attack subs.
    To some critics, however, the Navy's supercarriers are the Maginot Line of the late 20th century, monuments to military obsolescence. Would-be military reformers question whether enormously expensive supercarriers provide enough bang for the buck. If the U.S. tried to re-enact the Battle of Midway against the Soviet navy's modern cruise missiles and submarines, they warn, the American fleet would wind up like the Spanish Armada--on the ocean floor.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1075093-1,00.html

There's a difference between policing world trade on the oceans and having a massively out-sized military.

Even military experts are questioning the role of S.C.s in the modern era of cruise missiles and attack subs.

Cruise missiles have only limited uses. Air supremacy is the key. This has been seen in the Falklands, Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq. All served by aircraft carriers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It does make it a lot easier, though. No other ship can survey so many square miles of ocean at the same time, courtesy of all those E-2s and F/A-18s, and it has enough helicopters to make multiple inspections or boardings at the same time over far greater distances than, say, a coast guard cutter.
    That's hardly the productive economy though. These companies are funded by US tax payers so could be viewed as a drain on the economy rather than a pillar of it.

Why do you say that? If I were a nautical architect designing luxury yachts for the company's profit I'd be earning money, if I were a nautical architect designing aircraft carriers for national defence, I'd be earning money. Much of which would get cycled back into the local economy. I even would pay taxes on it all...

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Data died, sorry :(
    Shoulda been the other one..

if I were a nautical architect designing aircraft carriers for national defence, I'd be earning money. Much of which would get cycled back into the local economy. I even would pay taxes on it all...

NTM

The difference is that the architect who works on carrier design has to be paid from the public purse. The bigger the military the more workers who work in private industry have to support it by being taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

there here to steal the rest of our fecking oil...well at least the stuff that the government hasnt given away yet:-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

El Weirdo wrote: »
    "Moral" maybe not the best word, but it was the best I could come up with due to my intoxication.

By all means, go to see it and wonder at the marvel at its undoubted magnificence and engineering beauty - just don't forget that it and others like it have been involved in many deaths of innocents in unnecessary wars.
    It's pretty impressive alright, same goes for most war machinery. Ya gotta appreciate the engineering, and the scale.
    I had a look around a sub years ago and it struck me at the time how everything on it could be made on it, the machining workshops will fix or manufacture anything that might have failed or been damaged.
    Fighters and helicopters are something to behold too, even the massive cargo planes and armored trucks.
    Military research gave us a lot of new technology like the helicopter drone with a 1.8 gigapixel camera that can zoom in on your face from 20,000 ft.
    http://www.harlem-13-gigapixels.com/
    Now we have 20+ gigapixel cameras.
    It does make ya wish some of that huge money and effort was spent on getting water to drought ridden places, for instance. Or further developing the hydrogen engine.

The difference is that the architect who works on carrier design has to be paid from the public purse. The bigger the military the more workers who work in private industry have to support it by being taxed.

Our small navy protects 1000s of Irish fisheries jobs. While the US defence budget is bloated it does protect in a similar way the national interests of the united states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A crew of 4500+! Lock up the wimmins.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

OldGoat wrote: »
    A crew of 4500+! Lock up the wimmins.

dude its the navy the wimmins are safe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    So the prophecy's of boards.ie are comming true, US is comming here for oil? The republic of cork will be f***ed... :D

Nope, the Yanks think Dublin be the capital.

Guess where the bombs are going to land first.

Somebody mentioned a ban on nuclear energy, when did that come about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I went a tour of one of these in San Diego last year. I would hate to be in the navy.

And just when we discovered oil...

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

And the taxpayer's money is then redistributed to pay the people who build and maintain the ships. Its not a black hole, the money isn reinvested in the economy.

• Advertisement

The argument you put up from Time can be approached from multiple angles.

The section you took out runs like this: Soviet fleet with cruise missiles and other advanced weapons versus ten carriers in a battle. The article and you, forget that the Carriers have whole battle groups of destroyers and submarines around them. It wouldn't be a lopsided battle like predicted.

Also that article holds another point of view that Carriers are still necessary. You neglect that.

Crriers are not obsolete yet. Falklands in 1982, they were essential to British success. Same in Iraq and Afghanistan. Same in Libya.

Plus, the chances of an all out war with Russia are slim. China is a possibility at best but I think over the next few decades there won't be a global war. Hence contributing to the survival and usefulness of the carrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Submarines are interesting too.

Nate

Not answering my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's a pity if as mentioned it doesn't come to Dublin and actually the last time I was on a US Battleship / Distroyer was as a kid in Dublin about 30 odd years ago and was something I never forgot . I was on the Former HMS Ark Royal two years ago and more recently HMS Liverpool last month in Liverpool port ,her last sailing before decommision but the sight of one of those massive American ships ,with 4500 + crew sailing up into Dublin bay is something to behold and pretty impressive indeed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeeeha!

I am SO getting knocked up by some young fella in an 'Officer and a Gentleman' outfit. It's gonna be epic ;-)

Yeeeha!

I am SO getting knocked up by some young fella in an 'Officer and a Gentleman' outfit. It's gonna be epic ;-)
    Make sure you steal his ID badge so you can remember him and give his child a name .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

World War 2 proved the battleship obsolete and could be easily overcome by a few planes from an aircraft carrier.

Aircraft carriers allow for force projection, in other words, they can be within 100 miles of any country in the world if they wanted.

They are the policeman on the beat in terms of international peace. They don't even have to act, just to know they are arround disuades many from being aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

plasmaguy wrote: »
    World War 2 proved the battleship obsolete and could be easily overcome by a few planes from an aircraft carrier.

Aircraft carriers allow for force projection, in other words, they can be within 100 miles of any country in the world if they wanted.

They are the policeman on the beat in terms of international peace. They don't even have to act, just to know they are arround disuades many from being aggressive.

These days they have 24/7 fighter jets in the air subs in the water around them and frigates and gun ships surrounding them. serious business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

[...]
    Let's face it - there's not much in the way of natural resources in the US to protect or control - unlike, say, the middle east, Africa or Russia...

i think u need some serious geology lessons…

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

i think u need some serious geology lessons…

*squints at reply, then username*

Ahh I see, carry on so..........

Latchy wrote: »
    Make sure you steal his ID badge so you can remember him and give his child a name .

It wasn't Georgie Burgess, it was a Spanish sailor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Heh.

I've not much to say on this one, actually. I was one of the lucky lottery winners to get aboard JFK when it showed up last time. Of course, I've been on a few more carriers since. I seem to recall it was around for 4th July, and started the tradition of a fireworks display on 4th July by the Liffey which lasted a few years. That was a fair bit of fun.

Won a ticket too, but then the floating dock they were using smashed into the carrier. So we just got a trip around it in the ferry.

Lots of the crew on shore were stuck in town because of it. I'm sure they were highly distressed by the incident. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

they find oil in cork and the US military want to show up. very surprising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Yeeeha!

Going to be plenty of Irish fellas practicing their American accent to go with the uniform they bought off ebay. ;)

kowloon wrote: »
    Going to be plenty of Irish fellas practicing their American accent to go with the uniform they bought off ebay. ;)
    Not to mention the fake '' We've just been come over from our base in Pearl Harbour '' tan .:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    *squints at reply, then username*

Ahh I see, carry on so..........

[...]

well, another user who seems to think the usa have no natural resources to speak of…more geology lessons required here…but i guess facts are seen as kinda last-century by most around here anyway…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Domo230 wrote: »
    I don't think politicians know how to steer a nuclear powered aircraft carrier :pac:

They sure as hell know how to paddle us up sh1t creek though.

Advertisement