Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JBs training log

Options
  • 01-04-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

I've decided to start recording my workouts properly so that I can chart some progress that I'm making.
    My aim is to generally get fitter and stronger.
    I started this journey (again) more than a year and a half ago. I was a part time student and I qualified for reduced rates at the university gym so I took the opportunity to improve my fitness. I started off easy a couple of times a week with some swimming and using an exercise bike. This was on and off for 6 or 8 months. I lost more than a stone and increased my general fitness alot which was great.
    Then about 9 or 10 months ago I decided to get a proper program done so I did a few sessions with one of the trainers at the gym. I got a beginners program which was great. I made some good progress at the start but it all started to level off. I was doing the same thing over and over again which was the problem. I was also writing my thesis (while working full time) which didn't make for a very cosistent approach to training. I still tried to fit it in a couple of days a week.

In November after I had handed up the thesis I decided to get a new program at the gym and try again with a more consistent approach. I'm now working with a new trainer and I see him every few weeks.
    We started out with a program that was mostly body weight exercises then moved on to a program that also incorporated some dumbells and bench press then introduced some kettlebell exercises. This program was 3 days a week with various cardio exercises the other days. Cross trainer, treadmill, bike, rowing machine and swimming.
    That brings me up to the new program that I started last week.

Current stats
    I'm 30, male, 5'8" and 70kg.

In the last couple of months with the new program my weight has dropped from 75kg to 70kg and I've had to start eating alot more to stop losing weight. My diet is pretty clean. I know people say that around here alot and the diet turns out to be ****e but mine is pretty good. I don't eat junk, make all my own sauces, only eat lean meat etc. It just needs to be adjusted upwards portion size wise.
    I'm not sure what some of the correct names for the exercises are so I'm just going with what I think is correct.

Friday 30th March

5min warmup on exercise bike
    Hex bar squat/deadlift - concentrating on technique
    33kg *15
    33kg *15
    33kg *15
    43kg *15
    43kg *10
    43kg *10
    43kg *8
    The focus here was on correct body position and technique etc. I was also doing body weight squats in between using the bar so the above took about 40mins

Incline dumbell bench
    15kg *10
    17.5kg *10
    20kg *10
    12kg *10
    22.5kg *7
    22.5kg *7

Body weight row (elevated feet)
    4 sets of 10 alternating bar grip between palm facing towards and away

Lat pull down

115lb *10 *4

Bicep curls (2 dumbells together seated)
    12kg *10 *4

Tricep pull down cable with rope
    40lb *10
    60lb *10 *2
    I'm really concentrating on the hexbar squat/deadlift technique at the moment as I have strained my lower back before doing squats due to bad body position and glute activation. The above was actually my third session with this program and I'm going to do the light weights on the squats for at least one more session. I'm planning on increaing the weight next wednesday under supervision from the trainer.

I train in the morning before work which is a great motivator as I only have a limited time for the workout before I have to go to work so there's no time for dawdling. I've been training in the morning so as to avoid the crowds at 6pm.

Another area I need to focus on is the bench. I made little progress on that. It's the front of my shoulders that fail on the exercise, I don't feel it in the chest at all. I had thought that my shoulders were weak and needed work but the trainer thinks they are too strong and taking over and doing all the work. I have switched to the incline bench to see if this helps. If anyone has any tips on this let me know

When I get the squats under control and not taking up so much time I plan to add a log press into the routine in between the the row and the lat pull down. there are two logs in the gym a 27kg one and a 54kg one. I have used the 27kg one before and its an exercise I enjoy so I'm looking forward to adding it in.

I am using the lat pull down machine rather than doing pull ups as I seem to be able to isolate my back better on the machine. I'll probably go back to pull ups again or alternate between the two.

I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone has.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Hi there. Any sauce recipes you'd like to share, I'm all ears:D:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Sunday 1st April

Went to the gym this morning hoping to do some cardio and go for a swim. Unfortunately there was a swim gala on so no swimming for me. I should really pay more attention to the signs in reception.

Treadmill
    Was supposed to be 30 mins but I only got as far as 24 and a half before the treadmill failed. Stupid piece of crap. Running along at 14kph and the thing just stops with an error message ....
    Anyway I was at 5.5kms when it failed.
    Finished my running session on the track. 5 laps.

Rowing machine.
    I came across a rowing machine thread in the fitness forum which was all about 1000m times so I decided to give it a go.

concept 2 - 1000m - 3mins 40seconds

I nearly fell off the rower. My chest was about to explode...

Exercise Bike.
    I pedalled on the bike for 10 mins. I didn't put a huge effort in as I was trying to recover from the row.

Floor/abs exercise

Sit ups holding a 6kg medicine ball over my chest which ends up over my head in the up position. *20
    Mountain climbers variation *10
    front plank - 60s
    side plank holding a 5kg dumbell - 30s
    Side crunch with 12kg kettlebell *15
    repeat above *3

The mountain climber variation is bring right knee up to right arm then kick back and not touch the ground then bring up the right knee again but this time to the left arm. Repeat with left leg and thats 1 rep. Hands are on a medicine ball with handles as I find this easier on my wrists.

I found the planks really tough today. On the last set I had to pause for 2 seconds after the first 30 seconds.

Did a bit of stretching after. Focusing on back and hips.

howtomake wrote: »
    Hi there. Any sauce recipes you'd like to share, I'm all ears:D:pac::pac::pac:

Sure.
    When i say sauce I really mean that I don't use jars and throw together my own flavourings for frying chicken or beef or whatever.
    I have a large collection of dried spices so I just mix and match alot of those. If I'm frying stuff I usually pick and mix from the spice rack and then throw in some passata towards the end to make it into a sauce.

One of my favourite pre prepare sauces for stirfry is the following.
    1 red bell pepper chopped.
    1 centimter of root ginger chopped.
    1 red chilli seeded or deseeded is a matter of taste
    2 to 3 cloves of garlic.
    1 tablespoon of honey ( you can use sugar but honey is the healthy option)
    A squirt of ketchup (or a teaspoon of vineger)
    I use some pasata but you can use chopped tomatoes and some water to give it a liquid base.
    Fire all that into a blender and whizz away.

Easy peasy sweet/sour sauce.

Another favourite for marinating chicken in is the following
    Juice of a lime
    A couple of tablespoons of soy sauce.
    some black pepper
    some paprika
    a tablespoon of honey
    1/2 centimeter of root ginger chopped
    a clove of garlic chopped.
    teaspoon of olive oil
    1 tablespoon of brandy (optional. I don't usually have any but it is nice)

Mix it up and marinate the chicken in that for 20 or 30 mins and then fry. I think its very tasty. The lime can be replaced with orange too, which is also nice.

Monday 2nd April

Gym was really really quiet at 5 past 7 this morning. Only 2 people in the weights area. Students are off this week. Place got a bit busier after 8.

Hex bar squat/deadlift - concentrating on technique
    33kg *15
    33kg *15
    33kg *15
    43kg *15
    43kg *15
    43kg *15
    43kg *10
    53kg *10
    The focus here was on correct body position and technique etc.
    I was feeling a little more confident so I put an extra 10kg on for the last set. I think I might go a bit heavier on Wednesday

Incline dumbell bench
    17.5kg *10
    20kg *10
    20kg *10
    20kg *10
    22.5 *5
    10kg *10

My left shoulder complained on the 5th rep of 22.5kg. I gave it 60s and went to go again but it wasn't happening. I picked up the 10s just to make sure there wasn't an issue with my shoulder.

Body weight row (elevated feet)
    4 sets of 10 alternating bar grip between palm facing towards and away
    These were difficult this morning. Last few reps on sets 3 and 4 were difficult

Lat pull down

115lb *10
    130lb *8 *3

Bicep curls (2 dumbells together seated)
    12kg *10 *4
    14kg *10

Tricep cable pull down with rope
    40lb *20
    60lb *10 *3

I finished off with some face pulls.

Tuesday 3rd of April

Cross trainer

30 mins. High intensity,

Floor/abs exercise

Sit ups holding a 6kg medicine ball over my chest which ends up over my head in the up position. *20
    Mountain climbers variation *10
    front plank - 60s
    side plank holding a 5kg dumbell - 30s
    Side crunch with 12kg kettlebell *15
    repeat above *2

Swim

1000m
    Which was done in 5*200m intervals.
    I'm a pretty slow swimmer so it was about 3min 50 per 200m, which is just under a minute a length (50m pool).

• Advertisement

Wednesday 4th April

Trainer changed it up again today. I still wasn't entirely happy with the hex bar squat so we changed it to a standard squat with the bar across the shoulders and squatting onto a box.

Box Squat
    Bar only *10 *2
    50kg *5 *5

I liked this. It felt a bit more comfortable than the hex bar. If I sat on the box and then tried to drive up I tilted forward but If I just touch the box and keep the tension all is well with the world.

Chin ups (evil evil chin ups)
    narrow grip chin up followed by 10 mini chins where I'm only pulling up a few inches. (anyone know what these are called)
    5 narrow chin ups followed by 10 minis
    5 narrow chin ups followed by 5 minis
    4 narrow chins (just about) followed by 5 minis
    3 narrow chins (with lots of cursing) followed by 5 minis
    1 narrow chin

the plan next time is to do 4 narrow chins with 5 minis * 5

Dumbell press
    flat bench twisting the dumbells 90 degrees.
    20kg *6 *3
    22.5kg * 6 *2

Dumbell Row
    22.5kg *6 *5

The 22.5kg is slightly too heavy on the last 2 sets I found it next to impossible to maintain correct form on the last few reps. I'll drop the weight to 20kg and see how I get on

Overhead log press
    This is one of my favourites and is making a welcome return and it's heavier than it was before too which is nice

26.5kg *6
    36.5kg *6 *3

I think I had another set in me but time was running out. Next time I will definitely add in the extra set. Trainer initailly put an extra 10kgs on it but that definitely wasn't happening. Maybe next month.

All in all a good session. I did it all in my socks too which I must admit was way better than doing stuff in runners.

I'm looking forward to my next session which would normally be Friday but the stupid gym is only open 10 to 6 this Friday and I work 9 to 5.30 which is annoying. I must change to Saturday morning this week.

Thursday 5th of April

Went for a run with a colleague at lunch time

4km 20mins

People for dinner this evening so no gym for me.

Friday 6th April

Run
    6km 32mins

The gym was only open from 10 to 6 today and I wasn't finished work until 5.30 so no time for a workout. I'm still a bit sore from Wednesday so it was probably just as well. So I went for a jog with a friend after work. Pace was a bit slower than I would have liked but it's nice to run with someone else for a change.

Saturday 7th April

Back bar Box Squat
    Bar only *10 *2
    50kg *6 *3
    Bar only *10

I had to stop the squats as I was feeling it in my lower back. My technique must be all over the place. I need to go back to an unloaded bar and pratice technique and then add on weight very gradually. This is really annoying as I'm usually better at picking things up than this.
    This went much better on Wednesday but then again it helps to have someone correcting your technique.

Chin ups

4 narrow grip chin ups followed by 5 minis

The grips on the bar in the main gym are rubberised and fatter than the ones onthe bar upstairs. I was having trouble holding on with my grip towards the end. Thats another area that needs improvement.

Dumbell press
    20kg *6
    22.5kg * 6 *4

Dumbell Row
    20kg *6 *5

Much better with the 20kg than with the 22.5kg on Wednesday. I think I'll stick with 20 kg for a while and see how I get on

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6 *3
    32kg *6

Sunday 8th April

Run
    Went for a repeat of Fridays run on Sunday morning before heading home to my mothers and making a right pig out of myself.

6km 31mins

Much better consistent pace this time.

• Advertisement

Monday 9th April

Run
    Found yet another running partner today. My brother in law is going to do the great limerick run (10k) so I'm going to do it too. It's good to have something to work towards.
    So I got up this morning and went for a run with him and his dog. I'm not so sure bringing a dog is such a good idea. Pace was a bit slower than the previous few days but it was really comfortable. I felt lik eI could have gone on for a good bit more.
    I didn't have my phone with me to track the route but I reckon it was about 6km again in about 35mins.

Afternoon

Went to the gym this afternoon as I want to make sure I get my Monday/Wednesday/Friday sessions in.
    Gym was pretty busy, it makes me appreciate the 7am quietness even more.
    The squat racks were busy so I didn't do them. My back is still a bit stiff after Saturday so I wasn't that keen on doing thme anyway. I'll do them again on Wednesday with an empty bar and work my way from there.

Chin ups

4 narrow parallel grip chin ups followed by 5 minis

This is starting to get a bit easier I must up it to 5 chins with 5 minis.

Dumbell press

22.5kg * 6 *5

Dumbell Row
    20kg *6 *5

20kg was good. Was well able to maintain form without rolling my shoulders. I might go back up to the 22.5s next week.

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *5
    37kg *6
    32kg *6

I only left 20s between the second and third set and as a result I missed the press out on the 5th rep but got it on the 6th but it only counts as a 5. It didn't help either that a slight lapse in concentation on the 2nd rep resulted in me banging the log off my chin. I waited about 40 to 50s between the 3rd and 4th sets and got 6 on that one. It was a bit of a struggle on the last one. I dropped the weight again to 32kg as I didn't fancy dropping the log on my head but I was able to bang out 6 at 32kg no bother, so next time I might leave it at 37kg for the last set or only drop it to 34.5kg.

Wednesday 11th April

Squats
    This is really starting to piss me off..... I've been quite stiff in the lower back/top of my arse on the left side since Saturday. I'm not sure what it is. I've tried stretching it out a bit and that kinda works. Sitting at my desk during the day is not good for it. If I'm moving around I don't notice it.

Anyway so I went easy on the squats slow and steady wins the race and all that...

Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    10kg on the bar *10

This felt ok not great. My technique seemed ok too which is what I'm focussing on.

Chin ups

5 narrow parallel grip chin ups followed by 5 minis

Upping this to 5 chins was good. Almost didn't make the last rep on the last set. lots of grunting required. My grip seems to have improved too which is good.

Dumbell press

22.5kg * 6 *5

Dumbell Row
    20kg *6 *5

20kg is too light but then 22.5kg is too much.. I think I'll try for 3 sets at each and see how it goes.

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *5
    34.5kg *6

Log press is progressing well. I don't know what happened on the 4th set. I was a bit all over the place on the 5th rep. Dropped the weight for the 5th set but 34.5kg was easy.

Thursday 12th April

Run

Went for a jog at lunchtime today
    4km 21mins

Evening

Went to the gym this evening for some cardio work. Was looking for some low impact exercise.

Cross-trainer 10mins, really didn't like it this evening so swapped to a bike.

Bike 30mins medium intensity (90 to 95 rpm at level 8)

Swim -
    100m x2
    200m
    100m
    Pace was pretty slow 55s per length (50m)

Friday 13th April

Squats
    Still taking it easy with the squats. Focussing on correct technique and body position. Lots of reps low weight. I'm going to burn the movement into my brain.

Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    10kg on the bar *10
    10kg on the bar *10
    10kg on the bar *10
    20kg on the bar *8
    20kg on the bar *8
    20kg on the bar *8

The empty bar was grand. No surprises there. With any bit of weight on the bar after about 7 or 8 reps my concentration starts to drift and my body position starts to shift. I think this is why I keep hurting myself. I'm going to try this routine again next week and slowly increase the weight.

Chin ups

5 narrow parallel grip chin ups followed by 8 minis
    On the last set I didn't make the last chin. My grip went so I needed to grab the bar again for the last rep. technically it's cheating but I'm going to allow it this time....

Dumbell press

22.5kg * 6 *5

Dumbell Row
    22.5kg *6 *5

Upped the weight to 22.5kg was fine. Left side is definietely not as strong as the right so struggled to maintain proper form on the last two sets. Right side had no problem. I must remember to start on the left next time.

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6

Overhead press is going very well. I didn't need to drop the weight on the last set this morning. I'll do this weight for another session or two and then up the weight a little.

finished with some face pulls.

Monday 16th April

This weekend had zero training in it. Except for some moderate to severe liver training. As a result this mornings gym session was a little tougher than usual, not least of which was hauling my arse out of bed. So it was twenty past seven when I go to the gym which is pretty late.

Squats
    Still focusing on getting this right.

Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    10kg on the bar *10
    10kg on the bar *10
    10kg on the bar *10
    20kg on the bar *8
    20kg on the bar *8
    30kg on the bar *8

Chin ups
    Well these felt truly awful this morning.

4 narrow parallel grip chins

Last set was a disaster. In fact every set was a bloody disaster. I was hanging on by my finger tips at the end of each set. couldn't hold on to the bar at all.

Dumbell press

22.5kg * 6 *5

This felt fine. I should probably think about upping the weight.

Dumbell Row
    22.5kg *6 *5

remembered to start on the left. Its still alot weaker than the right.

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6

Bit of a struggle at the end but managed it ok. I should probably add another set in here before upping the weight. The warmup set with just the log and no weight on it feels pretty light.

Wednesday 18th April

This week has been a bit of a disaster exercise wise. I seem to be nursing a mild chest infection and I'm really tired.
    Went to the gym last night and had a bit of a mess aroud with the PT.

Ended up doing some circuits

Throwing a dummy
    Kettle bell swings.

Striking a dummy
    KB snatch

KB clean and jerk
    KB squat

All with 16kg KB

Plank
    Pushups with KB row (12kg)
    mountain climber variations

It was great to do something different. I think I might incorporate some of this into my cardio days. The dummy striking is very theraputic. As I'm not used to hitting things my knuckles got red and sore pretty quick. Striking using your elbow is very effective.

Friday 20th April

Squats

Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    30kg *10
    30kg *10
    30kg *10
    40kg *10
    40kg *10
    40kg *10
    50kg *6
    50kg *6
    50kg *8

This is starting to feel a bit more comfortable now. I was at it for a good 30 mins this morning.

Chin ups

Managed to hang on for the full 5 sets today.

Dumbell press

25kg * 6
    25kg * 6
    25kg * 6
    25kg * 5
    22.5kg *6

Upping the weight to 25 went fine. I barely made the 5th rep on the 4th set so I dropped back to 22.5kg for the last set which felt fine. I should probably be able to do the 5 sets next session.

Dumbell Row
    22.5kg *6 *5
    This is going well too. The left side is starting to feel a bit stronger.

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6

Last set of this was tough. It probbaly had something to do with a lapse of concentration after the 4th set and letting the log roll off the bench and on to my foot.:o

Sunday 22nd April
    No exercise over the weekend. Had a nice walk on Portmarnock beach on sunday afternoon, in between the rain showers. Met Eireanns rain radar is great for judging showers.

Monday 23rd
    April

Gym was quite busy this morning. When I arrived in at 7.15 (I know I was late) the squat racks were occupied and all the benches were taken. I couldn't start off with squats like a I wanted. I warmed up on the bike and squat rack still wasn't free so I went to

Chin ups

4 narrow parallel grip chin ups followed by 8 minis

My grip on this was great today no problems at all. On the last set I just couldn't get up for the last chin. I had been hoping to increase the chins to 6 this week. Maybe it was the fact that I started with chins that put me off.:rolleyes:

Dumbell press

25kg * 6
    25kg * 6
    25kg * 6
    25kg * 6
    25kg * 6

I find 25kgs heavy. I can do the 6 reps per set (just) but my rest time between sets is a bit long. must make an effort to reduce this.

Squats

Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    30kg *10
    30kg *10
    30kg *10
    40kg *10
    40kg *10
    40kg *10
    50kg *10

Squats are still not going as well as I would like but I'm going to keep plugging away at it. Hopefully it'll just click with me at some stage.

Dumbell Row
    22.5kg *6 *5

This is gping grand, another couple of sessions and I think I'll be able to go to 25kg.

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6

I managed to not drop it on my foot today. Was in a bit of a rush towards the end as I was going to be late for work, so I just banged them out. I think I need to increase the weight a little.

Facepulls
    1*10 @ 40
    2*10 @ 60
    I wan't paying enough attention to see what the numbers meant.

Tuesday 24th April

Did some cardio this evening for the first time in a while.

Arc-trainer. 20 mins
    ramp up from 30 to 100 in 2 min intervals going as fast as I can,
    This was a good deal tougher than Its been before
    Machine said 400 cals burned (machines are so full of Sh1t)

Exercise Bike 12mins
    To focus on not getting sick all over the gym floor after the arc trainer I hopped on a bike for 12 mins at an easy pace and then ramped it up towards the end.

Swim 1000m
    Went for a swm afterwards 5 * 200m intervals
    reasonably handy just under 1 min pr length so the 200m intervals were about 3mins 50s
    lane was reasonably busy which led to some slower lengths while caught in traffic.

Wednesday 25th April

Squats

Empty Bar 20kg *10
    Empty Bar 20kg *10
    30kg *10
    30kg *10
    40kg *10
    40kg *10
    50kg *10
    50kg *10

This felt quite good this morning. I might increase the weight a little on Friday.

Chin ups

Shoulders were quite stiff this morning. I reckon it was because of the swimming last night. I just about managed to finish this. The last chin was pretty difficult. Grip is good though.

Dumbell press

25kg * 6
    25kg * 6
    25kg * 6
    22.5kg * 6
    22.5kg * 6

This was really difficult this morning. I had to drop the weight to 22.5kg for the 4th and 5th set.

Dumbell Row
    22.5kg *6 *5

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    37kg *6

Facepulls
    1*10 @ 40
    2*10 @ 60

• Advertisement

Thursday 26th April

Went for a short run this evening in between the showers.
    4km 18mins

I messed about with some core stuff afterwards nothing of note.

Friday 27th April

Squats
    Alot happier with squats this morning. The Bar I was using this morning was a little lighter than normal at only 17.5kg.

Empty Bar 17.5kg *10
    Empty Bar 17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *10
    27.5kg *10
    37.5kg *10
    37.5kg *10
    47.5kg *10
    47.5kg *10
    57.5kg *6
    57.5kg *6
    62.5kg *6

Up to this morning 50kg was the most I had put on a bar. The extra weight today felt fine. I'm pretty sure I could have put more weight on but I want to take this slowly and focus on maintaining proper technique plus it was getting late. :D

Chin ups

Dumbell press

25kg * 6

This felt quite heavy again this morning but I persevered to the 5 sets not like Wednesday where I chickened out and dropped the weight..

Dumbell Row
    22.5kg *6 *5

Overhead log press

27kg *6
    37kg *6
    39.5kg *6
    39.5kg *6
    39.5kg *6

I added a little extra weight here this morning and it was only an additional 1.25kg on each side but boy did I feel it.

Sunday 29th April

Was very lazy this weekend.
    I went out this morning intending to jog two laps. I looked out the window and it was bright and sunny so I thought no bother. I got around the corner and was nearly blown over by the wind plus it was a lot colder than it looked.
    Anyway with all those excuses in mind I only did one lap.

Jog
    4km 18 mins 15s

Monday 30th April

Squats
    I can finally say I'm happy with the way squats are going. Bar this morning was the 23.6kg bar.

Empty Bar 23.6kg *10
    Empty Bar 23.6kg *10
    33.6kg *10
    33.6kg *10
    43.6kg *10
    43.6kg *10
    53.6kg *8
    53.6kg *8
    63.6kg *6
    63.6kg *6
    63.6kg *6

Chin ups

there was bit of a queue going at the chin up bar this morning so the rest period between sets ws a little longer than I would have liked so I compensated by adding in an extra chin in the middle 3 sets.

6 narrow parallel grip chin ups followed by 8 minis

felt good. The last chin on the last set was tough but I made it.

Dumbell press

25kg * 6

This felt even heavier than it did on Friday. I just about managed to complete the last set.

Dumbell Row
    25kg *6 *5

upped the weight to 25kg. Felt good.

Overhead Barbell press

Someone else was using the log this morning which is unusual because normally nobody uses it, so I had to use a barbell. I've never used one before and it felt quite a bit different to the log. for a start I couldn't push as much weight as with the log. I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to it. I used the same bar as for the squats earlier so it's 23.6kg.

23.6kg *6
    33.6kg *6
    33.6kg *6
    33.6kg *6
    33.6kg *6

Tuesday 1st May

Today is cardio day. yeahhhhhh.

I hadn't planned on doing the exercise bike but I sat down on it and started peddling and chatting and before I knew it I had 45 mins done.

Exercise Bike
    45 mins at level 8, 85 to 90 rpm (470cal burned according to the bike. The other bikes tell me different things for the same effort)
    A nice steady pace. Was sweating quite a bit after it.

Cross trainer
    15mins. ramping up the resistance from 30 to 100 (180 cals burned)

Rowing machine
    As all the cool kids seem to be doing 500s on the C2 rowing machines I though I'd give it a go.
    Started out rowing easy for a few mins just to get a feel for the machine then I set it up for 500m and let her rip.

500m 1m38.9s at level 10.

Pretty piss poor time. Maybe I should have done it before spending an hour on the bike and the cross trainer.
    I never pulled at a faster than 1m 36s pace no matter how hard I pulled. People were looking at me like I'd lost the plot. I pretty much died on the last 50m absolutely nothing left. I then ended up sitting on the machine for a minute or two because I wasn't quite sure if I would be able to stand up.

Wednesday 2nd May

Started off with some cardio today to warm up
    12 mins on the cross trainer (220 Cals)

It was a PT session tonight so there was a bit of a program change. A couple of new things that I haven't done before. Deadlifts and squats

Deadlifts. (New to me)
    Started out with just the bar then moved on to 40kg elevated on a low box then 50kg then on to the floor then 60kg then 70kg

20kg Bar *5
    20kg *5
    40kg *3 (elevated on a low box)
    40kg *5 (elevated)
    50kg *3 (elevated)
    50kg *3 from floor
    50kg *3
    60kg *3
    60kg *5
    70kg *5
    70kg *5
    70kg *5
    70kg *5

This felt good. A lot of practice required I think. The pulling is fine it's the putting the bar back down that I was having trouble with. All in all i think it went pretty well

Front Squat (another new one)
    I had to try a couple of different grips on the bar before I found one that kinda worked for me. this just felt awkward at first with the bar. I was completly all over the place. Empty bar wobbling. It was a bit more stable when I put the weight on.
    20kg Bar *5
    20kg *5
    20kg *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5

I felt I could definitely have pushed more weight but keeping the bar balanced and keeping it from not rolling off my shoulders and chest would have been a problem. This one requries a bit more practice because of the awkwardnes of it.

Dumbell Bench
    25kg *6
    25kg *6
    25kg *6
    25kg *6
    25kg *6

Body weight row
    Strict form touching chest to the bar
    *10 elevated feet
    *10 elevated feet
    *10 elevated feet

I included a few chins in here as well wide grip, just for fun and torture
    Chins *5
    Chins *4
    BW row elevated feet *6
    Chins *3
    Chins *2

Good session I thought. I like the deadlifts and surprisingly I liked the front squat too.

Just did a quick jog this evening.

4km 18mins 40s

Friday 4th May

I rolled out of bed a little late this morning. And I had to roll becuase I was so stiff and sore from Wednesday....
    so I arrived at the gym at 7.20 late late late. I need to manage my time better because I didn't get the full workout in this morning and I was still late for work.:mad:

Deadlifts (As these are still new I decided to practice a bit)
    40kg *8
    40kg *8
    50kg *5
    50kg *5
    60kg *5
    60kg *5
    70kg *5
    70kg *5
    70kg *5
    70kg *5
    70kg *5

This all felt fine so I decided to up the weight a little
    80kg *3
    90kg *3

I stopped at 90kg but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten 100kg. I'll try that on Monday. I was running way behind at this stage and because It's only my second time dead lifting I decided not to risk going too heavy.

chin ups (grip palm facing away slightly wider than normal grip)
    6*5

last rep was debateable as to whether I got up. It took about 15s but I think I got there in the end.

Front Squats
    20kg bar *5
    20kg bar *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5
    40kg *5

If I hadn't speant so much time on the dead lifts I would have had more time to play around with the front squats. I'm having a bit of bother balancing the bar on my shoulders. More practice required.

Dumbell flat bench
    25kg *6
    25kg *6
    25kg *6
    25kg *6
    25kg *6

I did these at a faster tempo than I normally would and I think it works a bit better.

I didn't have time to do body weight rows, so I need to manage my time a bit better. Less faffing about with the deadlifts and more getting down to business.

Disaster of a weekend in terms of both exercise and food. Anyway ack on track today. It was a bit more of a struggle than normal.

Exercise Bike
    30 mins at level 8, 80 to 95 rpm, 335 calories

Elliptical trainer
    20 mins ramping up from 30 to 100, 365 calories

I then went and rolled around on the floor for a while attempting to do some core work because I haven't done any in ages.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 9th May

Up bright and early for the gym this morning. Well no actually I was my usual very late self. 7.20 again this morning. Must get up earlier.
    Anyway the gym was really busy this morning, so my routine was disturbed a bit. No squat racks no lifting platform no dumbell benches available at 7.30 in the morning!!!!!!!
    so I started with chins and worked my way from there

Chins
    6 just about got the last rep

Bench press using Bar (haven't done this in ages)
    Bar *10
    40kg *8
    50kg *6
    55kg *6
    55kg *6
    55kg *6
    55kg *6

Deadlift
    40kg *10
    50kg *10
    50kg *8
    70kg *6
    80kg *6
    80kg *6 Felt that this was slightly too heavy so went back to 70kg
    70kg *6 Too light back up to 80kg and suck it up.
    80kg *6

Front Squat
    20kg Bar *6
    20kg Bar *6
    40kg *6
    50kg *6
    50kg *6
    50kg *6
    50kg *6

I uppe the weight on this to 50kg today and it was hard. Enjoyable though but hard. Need to practice balancing the weight on my shoulders. I'm guessing it's not good having to shrug the weight back up on to my shoulder on rep 5. Keeps slipping off my left shoulder.

Bodyweight Rows

Only did 3 sets of 10 on these as I was as usualy these days late for work. (Must get up earlier)

Advertisement