Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JBs training log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

brownej wrote: »
    Wednesday 20th June

This mornings session was ok. Deadlifts were all over the place. I seem to have developed a niggle in my lower back upper glutes area which is badly affecting the deadlift. So this morning was more of a focus on technique using lower weight. I couldn't have pulled anything remotely heavy even if I wanted to. I think I probably pulled something on Monday during my disaster of a session.

On a somewhat humerous note, a youngfella in the gym nearly wet himself with excitement this morning when Paul O'Connell asked him for a spot on his bench press. He couldn't stop grinning for the next half hour.

Deadlift
    from blocks
    63kg *8
    63kg *8
    83kg *6
    93kg *6
    93kg *4
    83kg *2
    83kg *4
    83kg *4
    83kg *4

Back Squat (squat to low box sit down for 2 seconds reset and drive up)
    Bar *8
    Bar *8
    40kg *6
    60kg *3
    60kg *3
    65kg *3
    65kg *3
    65kg *3

Dumbell flat bench
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6

Bent over Barbell Row
    20kg bar *8
    40kg *8
    45kg *8
    45kg *8
    45kg *8
    45kg *8

45kg is a bit light I might try 50 on Friday

Overhead press with barbell
    20kg *8
    30kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *8

The overhead press is still awful. The last couple of reps on the last two sets were more jerks than presses.:(

Wat was oconnell benching as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

RNC wrote: »

It looked like 125kg or 130kg for 5x5, (Not that I was paying that much attention)
    It could have been more, there was definitely a 20 and 2 15s and some small plates on each side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

brownej wrote: »
    RNC wrote: »

It looked like 125kg or 130kg for 5x5, (Not that I was paying that much attention)
    It could have been more, there was definitely a 20 and 2 15s and some small plates on each side.

Cool, heard stories of 180-200 max

Thursday 21st June

Went for a jog at lunchtime with my colleague in the rain.
    Went quite well 4km 19min 50s.

Went for a very quick session in the evening, was short on time.
    30mins on the bike at level 8 90rpm. 380cals (I think it was something like that)
    Did a small amount of core work.
    Sit ups with medicine ball x20
    swiss ball stuff...
    swiss ball figure of 8 stuff

Friday 22nd June

Paul was in again this morning. He really is f*cking massive. Went straight for the 60kg dumbell:eek:.

Anyway... As I still have a little strain or something in my lower back I just went light with the deads this morning.

Deadlift
    from floor
    60kg *8
    60kg *8
    80kg *8
    80kg *8
    80kg *8
    80kg *7
    80kg *8
    Had a slight grip issue on the second last and last sets. Other than that it was grand. Quite happy with that.

Bar *8
    40kg *6
    60kg *3
    65kg *3
    70kg *3
    70kg *3
    70kg *3
    ramped this up to 70kg today. It was noticeably heavier but went well. I had a bit of a fright on the last rep of the last set. I didn't think I would be able to stand up but got there in the end.

Dumbell flat bench
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6

This is going well. I should have moved from 25 to 27.5kg much sooner. I might think about 30kg next week.

Bent over Barbell Row
    20kg bar *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8

50kg felt absolutely fine. Maybe I'll up it again on Monday. Perhaps I'm not doing it right. I'll youtube it and find out.

Overhead press with barbell
    20kg *8
    30kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *8

This is still awful. :mad:

• Advertisement

Monday 25th June

Did nothing over the weekend except drink some beer and wine and eat pizza and ice cream. So this mornings session was not as good as it could have been. Everything was a bit of a struggle.

Went light on the deads again today. I don't think they're actually deads at this weight but anyway.

Deadlift
    from floor
    60kg *8
    60kg *8
    From blocks
    80kg *8
    80kg *8
    80kg *8
    80kg *8
    80kg *5

Think I felt something else twinge in my lower back. I must film my deads to make sure I'm doing them right I reckon I'm not at all.

Bar *8
    40kg *6
    40kg *6
    60kg *3
    60kg *3
    65kg *3
    65kg *3
    65kg *3
    I should have kept this at 70 like on Friday but I pussied out.

Dumbell flat bench
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6

Bit of a struggle. Managed to get all the reps out thought.

Bent over Row with Log (hammer grip)
    27kg log *8
    37kg *8
    42kg *8
    42kg *8
    42kg *8

Overhead press with log
    27kg *8
    37kg *8
    37kg *8
    37kg *8
    37kg *5
    37kg *4

last setfailed to get to 8, only got 5 so I did an extra set of 4.
    I prefer the log to the bar. It seems like a different set of muscles alltogether.

Tuesday 26th June

Cardio today.

Exercise bike - 45 mins level 8 90 to 95rpm, 580 Cals
    Cross trainer - 20 mins ramp to 100, 350 cals

Some stretching after. I should have done some core work but I couldn't be bothered. I didn't exactly kill myself on the bike either. level 8 was pretty easy should have shoved it to 10.

Wednesday 27th June

Today was a PT day and today I learned power cleans and the Jerk.

Cleans look relatively straight forward until you go and try one and it's all over the fu*cking place.
    Anyway... this evenings session consisted of millions and millions of repetitions and went something like this.

Power cleans below the knee
    Broom * loads
    Bar * loads
    Back to the broom * loads
    Bar *loads
    30kg * lots.

Jerks.
    Broom * some
    Bar * loads
    (Bar with left foot forward *3 Bar with right foot forward *3) *5

Power clean then jerk (not to be confused with the clean and jerk as it was far too **** for that)
    Bar alternating forward leg * loads
    30kg alternating forward leg *loads

After an hour of this I was starting to get tired and it was all going to ****. the Jerks were more like presses as I wasn't dropping fast enough or low enough.

Good session though! Lots and lots and lots of practice required but it was good.

Thursday 28th June

Just went for a quick jog at lunch time and that was it. the humidity was a complete killer.

4km 20mins and 10s

Friday 29th June

I was a bit sore from Wednesday. My shoulders especially.

Anyay this morning consisted of....

lots of warm up stretches and stuff

Power cleans (from below the knee)
    using broom * lots
    20kg Bar * loads

Power clean + jerks
    20kg Bar * Loads
    30kg * loads and loads and loads.

Did most of the above in sets of 3 or 4 focussing on technique all the time. Alternating legs for the jerks every set. I'm not very consistent. some of them feel fine and other are just awful. Lots and lots of practice required.

I know as this is only my second session doing this that I shouldn't put any weight on the bar and should just practice but I decided to put 10s on the bar just to see how I got on.
    power clean + jerk
    40kg *2 *2
    40kg *3 *2

Felt ok with 40kg. I know 40kg is still a manageable weight and isn't really a heavy load but it felt ok.

So all that took about 50mins and I was definitely feeling it afterwards

Back Squats to low box, sitting for 2 seconds resetting and then driving up
    40kg *6
    60kg*3
    60kg *3
    60kg *3
    70kg *3
    70kg *3

Dumbell flat Bench
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6

I need to work the cleans and jerks into my program a bit better. On this mornings program I skipped deads, press, and row, and the squats and bench were pretty difficult after the clean and jerk session.

• Advertisement

Sunday 1st July

Did some more power clean and jerks practice today. It's starting to come together slowly. Just bar work and light weights.

10 Mins on exercise bike to warm up

lots of stretching using a broom handle.

power cleans and jerks using a bar * loads
    sets of 6 alternating front foot on the jerks every 3

power cleans and jerks 30kg * loads
    sets of 6 alternating front foor on the jerks every 3

power cleans and jerks 40kg *6 *3
    sets of 6 alternating front foot on the jerks every 3

After 40 mins I was getting tired and sloppy and there were people waiting to use the platform so I finished it there.
    slow and steady wins the race here. I'd say it will be another few weeks before I start putting any weight on the bar. Even with 40kg it's quite comfortable and I know I can easily handle that weight if something goes wrong.

Monday 2nd July

Deadlift

60kg *8
    60kg *8
    From blocks
    80kg *6
    90kg *5
    90kg *3
    90kg *3
    90kg *3

ok. there's definitely something very wrong here. I kept the weight light here but it wasn't happening at all. I'm struggling to figure out what's going on. I caught a glimpse in the mirror as I was doing a set and it seems that my positioning is perfect right up until the point when I start to take the load. At that point my back position goes to sh*t altogether. I'm definitely going to stop this until I get someone to assess my technique.
    I seem to have a muscle strain type pain in the top part of my glutes where they merge into the lower back on both sides but more on the left.
    The way I see it, there's one of two things going on.
    1. I have a strain in the top of my glutes/lower back and as soon as I pull they can't take the load so the rest of my back compensates and my posture goes to sh*t.
    2. I have a strain in that area because my posture is sh*t and there's too much load there.
    Either way it needs to be looked at.
    I do not notice anything at lower weights. like during the power clean practice and bent over rows.

Back squats (to low box. Sit down for 2 seconds and drive back up)
    Bar *8
    40kg *6
    60kg *6
    60kg *6
    65kg *6
    70kg *6
    70kg *6

There's a slight wobble at the bottom of teh squats due to the above prblem with the deadlift.

Dumbell Bench
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *5

this was tough. I think I might be more tired than I expected

Bent over row Barbell
    20kg Bar *8
    50kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8

No time for overhead press late late late.... (although my traps are complaining a little about the jerks si I don't think it's too bad to miss this)

Wednesday 4th July

So my lower back is still stiff. My self diagnosis says to not stress it too much and to take Ibuprofen so the inflamation doesn't press on the siatic nerve like it was doing yesterday. So no deads today. Took it easy in general with the lower body stuff.

Squats (To not as low as usual box, sit for 2 second reset and drive back up.)
    Body weight (Just to make sure I wasn't going to hurt myself) *10
    20kg Bar *10
    40kg *6
    60kg *3
    60kg *3
    60kg *4
    60kg *4
    60kg *4
    Twas grand. No problems. I don't think adding more weight would have been a good idea.

I ended up doing the squats in the squat rack (usually try to use the platform as I tend to bang the plates on the rack as I step out) and had been thinking for the last few days that I needed to introduce pull ups back into my routine as I haven't done them in months. So I put in a few sets of pull ups in between sets on the squats using the pull up bar on the squat rack. There's nothing like having a bar across the squat rack to stop you from swinging your legs on the pulls.

Pull ups (Palms facing away)
    8*3
    put in between sets 2 3 and 4 on the 60kg squats

Dumbell bench
    This felt really heavy today and didn't go well. This is the second day this week now!!!
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *4
    27.5kg *5

Bent over row using the log (hammer grip)
    27kg *8
    32kg *8
    37kg *8
    42kg *8
    42kg *8

Overhead press using the log
    27kg *8
    32kg *8
    37kg *6
    37kg *6
    32kg *8

I'm away for a few days so it could be next week before I'm back in the gym.

I had intended to go to the gym this evening but instead a friend called and asked if I wanted to go for a jog instead so thats what I did.

A little over 6km in 33mins. A steady if slightly slow pace but it was nice to get out and do something.

I had intended to get up to go to the gym on Wednesday morning but I'm still wrecked tired form the weekend. 2 half nights sleep and more alcohol in 2 days than I've consumed in 6 months means I'm still tired on Wednesday!

Went to the gym for a quick session.

30 mins on the cross trainer 500cals
    Then I did a rather pathetic 2 sets of pull ups (palms facing away) 8 reps and 6 reps. Then I went home.

I was supposed to get up and go to the gym on Thursday morning and again I didn't get up in time.
    I need to get back into my routine.

Thursday 12th July

Went to the gym this evening with the intention of practicing power cleans and jerks.
    The platforms were occupied so I went on a bike to warm up and wait for a platform to free up. Anyway 30 mins later platform is free (and the gym isn't even busy)

Bike 30mins level 8, 85 to 95 rpm 350cals

Power Clean and jerk
    Oh dear I'm pretty rubbish at this. This is only like my 3rd or 4th session so I'm still only practicing and I haven't done it in 11 days so I've practically forgotten everything.
    All cleans are from just below the knee.

Bar only
    Cleans *10 *3
    clean and jerk *6 each side *3
    clean and jerk *3 each side *3

30kg
    clean and jerk *3 each side *6

40kg
    clean and jerk *2 each side *4

last couple of sets were really sloppy. Was at it for 40mins. Absolutely wrecked afterwards. As the weight was light I didn't drop the bar so I lowered it gently. I don't think my shoulders were too happy about it towards the end as I was pretty worn out. good session though

I was inspired by other peoples logs to try some body weight stuff.
    I tried some pseudo planche pushups. Ha what a laugh. I managed about 3 really really bad ones. I fiddled with my hand position and tried again and then managed 2. I'm going to use the excuse that my wrists were sore fromthe cleans and leave it at that. As I couldn't do pseudo planche pushups I just did some diamond pushups instead and some planks.

Friday 13th July

Finally managed to get up early enough in the morning to go to the gym! Last weekend really took alot out of me.

I though a week or more out of the gym would help my lower back but it still seems stiff. I'm definitely not going to pull anything heavy until I'm sure it's ok. I've been neglecting chins and pulls so I've deviced to superset them in with the squats. This has the added bonus of having a loaded bar on the squat rack to make sure I don't swing while doing the pull ups as I'll smack my knees off the bar.

Squat to box sit for 2 secs then drive up supersetted with chins/pulls
    Bar *10
    Needed to change box as it wasn't low enough
    40kg *6
    trainer came over to laugh at the amount of weight on the bar.
    60kg *3
    65kg *3
    pull ups (palms facing away) *8
    65kg *3
    chin ups (palms facing) *8
    70kg *3
    pull ups *6
    70kg *3
    chin ups *6

I think I might change these squats to a front squat for a while as I think the whole sitting on the box thing is giving me bad habits. I'm rolling forward a little when driving up which is bad. I have found in the past that front squats really helped me to correct squat technique for back squats.

Dumbell flat Bench
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6 (that felt difficult. I could tell the rest of the sets wouldn't be pretty and they weren't)
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *4
    27.5kg *2
    25kg *6

That was quite sh1t. Although the 25kg was fine, so I think 27.5kg is the right weight for me at the moment.

Barbell row
    20kg bar *8
    40kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8

That was grand. I must increase the weight next time.

Overhead log press
    27.5kg log *8
    32.5kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *4
    32.5kg *2

oh dear!!!. this just wasn't happening. I think I was probably just tired from last night. So I left it at that as I was late for work (as ususal)

Went for a 6km run after work with a friend. A little slow at 35mins but not too bad.

Sunday 15th July

Went to the gym for some more clean and jerk practice. With the light weight and the number of reps I end up doing this is just glorified cardio. I certainly end up sweating like I'm doing cardio. When I do the jerk I do two sets of 3 alternating which foot goes forward. Each foot is getting exactly the same practice but I definitely favour my right foot forward.

Lots of stretching and warmups with a broom handle.

Power clean from below the knee
    Bar only x10 x2

All power cleans are from below the knee

Powerclean and jerk
    Bar only, 3 reps x2 (alternating foot forward in the jerk each set of 3) x 4
    30kg, 3 reps x 2 (alternating foot) x 3
    40kg, 3 reps x 2 (alternating foot) x 5

That was about 40mins

Exercise bike, level 8, 85 to 90rpm, 10 mins, 120 cals

Diamond pushups x15
    Plank 40s
    X3

Lots of stretching.

My weight appears to be down too. I'm now just over 70kg. I had been steady at 72kg for ages. I definitely just need to eat more. I'm going to increase my food over the next few weeks and see how I go.

Monday 16th July

I was quite tired this morning. Session didn't go so well. I think doing the clean and jerk practice has had an impact on my usual weight days. I still have a slight issue with my lower back so no deadlifts for a while. I'm going to leave them out for the next couple of weeks.

I decided to change back to front squat this morning and what a bloody disaster that was.

Front Squat
    I used to be able to do these. I had problems with grip here. My left wrist was quite sore on the drive up. I definitely was putting too much weight on it. I adjusted the grip for the last couple of sets and it was fine.

Bar *10 *2
    40kg *6
    60kg *6
    60kg *2 ( I tried to adjust grip with the bar across my shoulders and dropped it. I then power cleaned it back up and nearly ended up on my arse.)
    60kg *6
    60kg *6 (changed grip, much better)
    60kg *6

Dumbell flat Bench
    Really really awful. I think my shoulders were tired from yesterday. Even with excesively long gaps between sets it was awful.
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *5
    27.5kg *3
    25kg *5
    I needed to drop back to 25kg again today!

Bent over barbell row
    Bar *8
    40kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8

Over head log press
    27kg log *8
    32kg *8
    32kg *7.5
    32kg *8

Wednesday 18th July

I had the worst DOMS ever Monday night and Tuesday morning. I could barely stand up when I got out of bed. I have no idea why though. It's not as if I changed anything or pushed myself particularly hard. In fact Monday morning was pretty poor in the gym. Front squats were poor (although I hadn't done them in a while) and dumb bell bench was poor. I've never had anything like it before.
    The only thing I can think of was that I did clean and jerks on Sunday and then my regular weight program on Monday morning, but I did the same thursday evening/Friday morning and I was fine on Saturday.
    I think I'll rejig my schedule a little and see how I get on.

Anyway....
    Today was a PT day.
    I did power snatch for the first time. After doing the power clean for a few weeks the first part of the movment was ok put getting the bar over your head and controlling it into position is more difficult than I expected.
    I went to start with the bar but realised pretty quickly that that was a bad idea so I started with the technique bar jsut so thatI could get the positioning right. then I moved to the regular bar and did a few dozen reps to practice. Lots and lots and lots of practice required here before I put any weight on the bar.

Also practived technique with the power cleans. I have a number of problems that I tried to adress this evening. My right foot has a tendancy to move backwards, which is bad. My catch is awful and really needs to be addressed. With the light weights at the moment I can get away with it but if I put heavier weights on I'm going to hurt my wrists. I seem to be catching the bar with my hands and then placing it across my collar bone which is putting all the weight on my wrists, instead of guiding the bar and catching it properly on the collar bone. I might film a couple of reps to get a better idea of what I'm doing.

So a bit of a frustrating session trying to correct problems.

• Advertisement

Thursday 19th July
    4km run around the block in 19mins and 40 secs followed by a few pullups and chinups (not many and not worth recording)

Friday 20th July

I started this mornings training by some bar work. I put some of what I learned on Wednesday into pratice and did some power snatches and I also practiced some cleans keeping an eye on foot position.
    The first thing I noticed is that I'm doing the exact same thing with my right foot onthe snatch as I am with the clean. Thats something I need to beat myself out of. so I did that practice with a 20kg bar for about 20mins.

Front Squats/pullups
    I'm back on the front squats as I need to work on my wrist flexibility in the clean rack position so no better exercise for it. It will also help my stability holding a load in that position. Today was far better than the disaster on Monday. I kept it at 60kg which is lower than I was at when I stopped front squating 6 weeks ago. My aim over the next 6week cycle is to get the fornt squat up to at least 80kg.
    I supersetted pullups (palm facing away into this too)

Front squat with bar *10
    Front squat with 40kg *10
    squat 60kg *6
    pullups *6
    squat 60kg *6
    pullups *6
    squat 60kg *6
    pullups *6
    squat 60kg *6
    pullups *6
    squat 60kg *6
    pullups *6

I didn't really struggle on the pullups even on the last set. I definitely think I could go for 7 so I'll try that the next day.

Dumbell flat bench
    Not as bad as Monday but still worse than 2/3 weeks ago.
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *5

Bent over barbell row
    Bar only *10
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8
    50kg *8

Overhead press
    Bar *10
    30kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *8
    35kg *8

It was getting really late so I had to run. So didn't get to finish the press. Which wasn't a complete disaster as the last set I did do were half jerks anyway. :o

Monday 23rd July

Started this morning with 20 mins or so of power snatch practice using just the bar. As I only started this last week I'm taking it slowly. Towards the end I put a little weight on the bar and did a few reps. And by a little weight, I mean I stuck 5kg on the bar. I then put another 2.5kg on the bar just to bring it up to 27.5kg. That was all fine. Did a good few reps to practice. I was going to increment the weight again but I had to stop myself as today wasn't supposed to be a full olympic lift style practice session. Thats for Wednesday. So after 20 mins I started my programme.

Front Squat
    Bar *10
    40kg *8
    60kg *6
    60kg *6
    60kg *6
    65kg *4 (felt a tweak in my back just above my left glute. It's the same area thats stoppingme from deadlifting.....:( not happy about that. Dropped back to 60kg and it was fine)
    60kg *6

All the pull up bars were occupied so I didn't get to do pullups in between the squats which was annoying. I imight do them at home later after work.

Dumbbell Bench
    20kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *5 (FFS:mad:)
    27.5kg *4
    27.5kg *3 (this was a make up set to add in the reps I missed)

Bentover barbell row
    20kg *8
    40kg *8
    50kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8

Barbell Curlz - I never do curls, but my trainer recommended I do barbell curlz for the gunz. He must think my arms are looking too small.
    20kg bar *8
    30kg *8
    30kg *8
    30kg *8

So I missed Overhead press and pullups this morning. I'm going to count the snatch practice as the overhead press and I'll do pull-ups at home later.

Went to do some cardio this evening. I had planned on going to the pool aswell but I seem to be nursing some kind of headcold so I decided against the swim. I was supposed to do pullups yesrterday but I forgot.
    Cardio felt very sluggish.

Bike 20mins, level 8, 85 to 90rpm - 220 cals
    Pullups 8, 8, 4, 4 - just died after the second set. I had planned on 5 sets of 8 but it wasn't happening.
    Arse trainer, 20mins, ramp to 100%, 350cals

Wednesday 25th July

Power Snatch practice this morning.
    All snatches are from below the knee. I decided to ramp the weight up a little today and it was fine. It got a little sloppy towards the end. I'm sure my technique is awful but it's quite enjoyable all the same

Bar *6 * loads
    25kg *6 * loads
    30kg *4 * loads
    35kg *4 * loads.

I completely lost count of the number of sets but it was alot. I was at it for an hour. I kinda feel guilty about taking a platform fro an hour but noone else seemed to want it. It was fairly quiet anyway. lots of reps to practice. The weight felt quite comfortable. I am a bit apprehensive about pushing too heavy too quickly. I may try 40kg the next day but I'm not sure yet.

Thursday 26th July
    4km jog - 20mins 20secs, should have been quicker but my jogging partner was having an off day.
    I was going to go to the gym after work but I'm still fighting back a headcold so instead I sat out in the sun and read a book.

Friday 27th July

As I still can't deadlift I'm starting every session with some snatch and clean practice. Of course once I start I get kinda carried away and before I know it I'm 25 mins in and saying to myself "just one more set".

So I was watching some videos on youtube from californiastrength. They have some beginners tutorials on snatch and clean which I thought were quite good. what I have learned so far is just the power snatch but the cal strength video was saying that you should go for the full snatch as quickly as possible. So this morning I was basically practicing power snatching and including an overhead squat in the movement. I was pretty **** at it at the start as I nearly fell on my arse when I tried it with the bar on its own. I was fine with the stick (obviously enough) but core stability was a bit of a problem with the bar. After a while I got the hang of it and even put a little weight on the bar. Just power snatching 30kg was fine but when I tried to powersnatch/overhead squat I would end up missing about a third of the reps.
    Anyway, practice practice practice. I think I'm doing reasonably well as I only started last Wednesday.

Anyway after getting carried away with the snatch stuff (which was only supposed to be for 15mins as a warm-up/practice) I started what I actually came in for.

Front Squat/pull ups
    30kg *8
    40kg *6
    60kg *6
    pull ups *6
    60kg *6
    pull ups *6
    60kg *6
    pull ups *6
    60kg *6
    pull ups *6

Not too hot on the front squats today. Anything below parallel just wasn't really happening. I knew I was in trouble when 30kg felt heavy.:mad:
    It was supposed to be 5 sets at 60kg but I was really late atthis stage.

Flat dumbell bench
    15kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    I managed to do the full 5 sets today but it was a struggle! Better than last week and Monday though.

Bent over row
    Bar *8
    50kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8

I might go and do snatch practice tomorrow. I'm really liking it. I'm much preferring it to the clean and jerk. I haven't really gotten the hang of the catch in the clean:(

Snatch practice for about 70mins
    Lots and lots and lots of reps.
    Bar, 30 kg and 35kg.
    All in sets of 3 or 4. Just focussing on technique. At the moment I'm power snatching and trying to drop into an overheat squat. A couple of reps I've managed to do what might approximate a full snatch but most of the time it's power snacth followed by an overhead squat.
    I'm very slow. I can't get under the bar fast enough. My core stability is also not the best so I really need to practice the over head squat.
    But it's coming along.

Monday 30th July

So I started my session practicing the snatch again. The first rep with just the bar and I almost ended up on my arse which wasn't an encouraging start.
    After that it went fine. 25 mins of practice using 30kg. Power snatch with an overhead squat.

Front Squat/chin ups
    front squats were just to parallel. I didn't go any lower. At the bottom I have a tendency to lean forward slightly which is putting alot of pressure on my wrists so I'm concentrating on keeping more upright and lifting my elbows higher so that I can rest the bar better on my shoulders
    30kg *6
    40kg *6
    60kg *6
    chinups *6
    60kg *6
    chinups *6
    60kg *6
    chinups *6
    60kg *6
    chinups *6
    60kg *6
    chinups *6

Dumbell bench press
    17.5kg *10
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *6
    27.5kg *4
    I though I'd gotten over this on Friday.....

Bent over barbell row
    Bar *8
    50kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8
    55kg *8
    On the last set my body position just failed on the last rep and I got a twinge in my lower back so I just stopped and didn't go for another set.

Bicep curlz
    20kg Bar *8
    30kg *8
    30kg *8

Cardio day!
    Arse trainer 23mins ramp level to max - 410 cals

Wide chin ups x 8
    Neutral chin x 8
    Wide chin x 4
    Neutral chin x 6

Bike, 60 mins level 8 - 600 cals

I spent way longer on the bike than I had planned. I got chatting and was watching the olympic swimming. 200m butterfly final was brilliant.

Wednesday 1st August

PT session today. Started off with some boxing stuff. I'm not any way good at this. It was just striking a bag and doing laps of the track but it's really tireing. Trainer is a (super) heavy weight boxer and is a complete animal on the bag.
    The format of this training was punch the bag and then do a lap or two of the track (225m). 1 person punches the bag while the other does a lap of the track.

Bag
    1 lap
    Bag
    1 lap
    60s break
    2laps
    Bag
    2 laps
    Bag
    60s break
    2laps
    Bag
    2laps
    Bag
    60s break
    2laps
    bag
    2laps
    bag

I was sweating buckets after this, and my triceps and shoulders knew all about it when we were done after about 30mins.

After this we went upstairs for some snatch practice.
    My tactic of powersnatching and dropping into an overhead squat works until I put some weight on the bar and then my stability isn't the best.
    New plan is to power snatch and focus on being faster into the drop so eventually a full snatch will come.
    So I just worked up to 40kg power snacthes. I didn't go beyond that as I was pretty wrecked from the bag work earlier. I'm looking forward to my next snatch session though.

• Advertisement

Thursday 2nd August

4 km run at lunch time 20 mins 30s.

Went for a swim after work too
    20 lengths broken down into 4 sets of 400m, 600m, 600m, 400m, nice handy pace of about 60s per length (50m)

Advertisement