Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hdmi to vga

• 01-04-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a cable to connect my XOOM to a Sony tv with no hdmi port to watch netflix

What cable do I need? Also is there a cable that let's me use it both hdmi to vga and hdmi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

HDMI is a digital signal, VGA is analogue. There is no cable or cheap adaptor to allow connection to a TV without HDMI. Does your TV have a DVI port by any chance ? You can buy a HDMI<>DVI adaptor but the Audio won't be passed through, you'll need a separate 3.5mm to Phono cable for that if the XOOM supports it.

You can buy a HDMI to VGA converter box from about 100 euro if you do a search on Google. Might be better off putting that money towards a new TV with all the trimmings :)

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

I wouldnt trust that product , there are many many frauds online selling just such products , none of them work. Wthout sizeable and costly conversion electronics such a task ( HDMI to VGA ) is impossible.

Given the size of the connectors at each end , I do not see how the necessary electronics with wiring would fit inside and do the job required to any standard of quality. There are no reviews of the product , and screams out "just another fraud" to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

andy1249 wrote: »

I wouldnt trust that product , there are many many frauds online selling just such products , none of them work. Wthout sizeable and costly conversion electronics such a task ( HDMI to VGA ) is impossible.

Given the size of the connectors at each end , I do not see how the necessary electronics with wiring would fit inside and do the job required to any standard of quality. There are no reviews of the product , and screams out "just another fraud" to me.

What would you suggest i get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tails142 wrote: »

I have to say I'm totaly amazed that dealextreme.com are selling that heap of sh1te 'adapter' because you cannot convert digital to analogue in a simple adapter so it simply will not work.

OP, there are active adapters which will do the conversion, they all involve devices with DC power feeds via AC adapters. Take a look on eBay but anything that claims to do it via a simple adapter is not going to work.

I'm not going to give you a link to any eBay seller because I can't guarantee any particular device will work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

coylemj wrote: »
    I have to say I'm totaly amazed that dealextreme.com are selling that heap of sh1te 'adapter' because you cannot convert digital to analogue in a simple adapter so it simply will not work.

in theory it could, given a 5V 50ma power budget from the HDMI, low powered single port HDMI Rx with a low power analog encoder. limited to one video format, no scaling/conversion required

that's the theory, in practise you're right, i doubt it would work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It claims to be converting from HDMI to VGA so you'd have expected that the VGA end would have either a 3.5mm jack or left and right phono sockets for audio, the absence of audio also convinces me that this is a piece of junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 philmck

You would need something like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdmi-to-vga-and-3-5mm-audio-converter-80408?item=9

Unfortunately, it's bit more complicated than a simple cable! You will also need one of these if yuou don't have one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdmi-micro-male-to-hdmi-female-adapter-converter-45450?item=17

(I should be in Sales for DealExtreme!! Good site, I shop there quite a bit!)

Advertisement