Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buckfast

• 01-04-2012 1:13am
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Always wanted to try this, but I just cant get over how dear it has become. I heard a few years ago it was for sale for less than 5 euro. Its now regularly priced at between 11-15 euros in off licenses I spot it.

Now maybe I'm being stingey here but that is alot of money when similar cheap wine like schooner is for sale for 4.86 in Tesco with the same alcohol content.

Now I realise alot of people here are connoisseurs of fine wine etc etc but I hope we can have a mature discussion without me being slagged off. Thank you. :cool:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What exactly to you want to discuss - the cost of Buckfast specifically, or drink prices in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Don't drink Schooner unless you like getting black outs. :o

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

What exactly to you want to discuss - the cost of Buckfast specifically, or drink prices in general?

The cost and rise in price of Buckfast. It use to be very cheap and can still be found for 5 pound up north why is it so dear here? I remember FF talked about taxing just Buckfast did that happen?

I just dont understand its price inflation considering its prices in the North and Scotland and its low Alcohol content.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

madcabbage wrote: »
    Don't drink Schooner unless you like getting black outs. :o

I dont think Schooners too bad for it tbh, the taste isnt great and I sometimes mix it. 1 bottle is not too bad as long as you long as you dont continue on drinking loads more. I have had 2 bottles on a couple of longer drinking nights, its kinda pushing it and I wouldnt do it again for my own safety....:o

Dunno though it gives me strong hangovers, and I heard theres alot of additives in it, so I'm wary of it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd guess the popularity of Buckfast has driven the price up, supply and demand and what not. I know a lot of students who drink it but wouldn't drink the cheaper Aldi/Lidl alternatives. It's gotten a certain cult status so that always drives the price up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Did it get lumped in with alcopops duty wise? I think I heard or read something like that or it could have been Scotland now I think of it.

Advertisement