Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for dealing with eBay scam sellers / bait and switch

Options
  • 01-04-2012 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

TL;DR: Is it really just you win some, lose some, deal with it *sunglasses.gif*?

I'm after getting a Zelda cart for the NES, after waiting about 2 weeks. Buyer was completely obnoxious, and worst of all sent me some clearly counterfeit gold cart with a half peeled label, Nintendo printed in clearly the wrong spot. It run, but has some weird half-crippled timed game compilation thing on it - again with the Nintendo logo plastered all over the place (strangest thing is they botched how long it'll run for but the spelling has no Engrish or typos at all. Morons).

I didn't want to risk breaking my friends NES and don't quite trust this piece of sh**e cart mangling the connector pins, since he's doing me a favour (I've the worst luck with Nintendo hardware except for handhelds, I'll go into it another time, but the short version is my NES has seen better days), so I just stuck it back in its stupid weird conterfeit sleeve and shelved it for now.

Anyway, has anyone ever gotten a satisfactory resolution for when you get scammed buying on eBay? I'm not a complete idiot, the seller had >100 reputation so they seemed trustworthy enough.

Sorry if this post's a bit incoherent. I'm tired and wanted to get this off my chest. Can't sleep, this has me really wound up. :mad:

Anyway, any advice or whatever would be appreciated. Perhaps some other retro-newbie might be the wiser for it. Last time I buy something on eBay without a photo...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tell them that the cart is counterfeit and you want a full refund including postage or you will report them to ebay and paypal and also give them bad rep. What they did is not only wrong but illegal and they know it. Don't take any **** from them.

If you don't get your money back report them. You'll get your money back, maybe not postage.

If you do get money back report them anyway.

Sera got a dodgy Pokemon Black on ebay and she got her money back including postage and didn't have to post the game back. They know they are doing wrong and will freak if caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'll take it if you don't want it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sera got a dodgy Pokemon White* on ebay and she got her money back including postage and didn't have to post the game back. They know they are doing wrong and will freak if caught.
    FYP*
    She told me her son was sick in hospital and that's why the game was fake, not why she sold it, why it's fake. She refunded me completely and gave me a bit extra to post it back to her. Lucky for me she wasn't hesitant on the refund. That seller actually had 100% feedback too but some of the possitive feedback said "fake game, won't buy from again" and stuff, which I didn't notice til afterwards.
    a5y wrote: »
    Sorry if this post's a bit incoherent. I'm tired and wanted to get this off my chest. Can't sleep, this has me really wound up.
    I was same over it was my birthday present, so don't feel too bad :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

send the seller a message on ebay and see how they reply, i was sent some dodgy games + controllers a while back and they resolved it, after that if they're not willing report it to paypal and leave them bad feedback. you`ll get your payment back but probably minus the shipping, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Gold cart you say? Timed challenges you say? Timing off (slow?) on PAL consoles you say? April 1st you say?

As I said, I'll gladly take it off your hands :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

ghostchant wrote: »
    Gold cart you say? Timed challenges you say? Timing off (slow?) on PAL consoles you say? April 1st you say?

As I said, I'll gladly take it off your hands :P

Called it. Thanks for playing everyone!

Explanation for anyone who doesn't know 'bout NES rarities and gold NES carts:
    Zelda
    Nintendo World Championships
    ($13,000 - $18,000)

Sera wrote: »
    I was same over it was my birthday present, so don't feel too bad :3

I feel like quite a dick now. Oops. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

im bidding on a gold zelda cart at the moment

Back off bitches its ntsc and i want it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sparks43 wrote: »
    im bidding on a gold zelda cart at the moment

Snipe mode powered on and waiting :p

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Snipe mode powered on and waiting :p

Git:D

What would you reckon the most i should pay for it anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Have you an NTSC Nes? Although you can make them multiregion, I read in a lot of cases the music in NTSC games is optimized for 60Hz & doesn't play right in a 50Hz machine.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Have you an NTSC Nes? Although you can make them multiregion, I read in a lot of cases the music in NTSC games is optimized for 60Hz & doesn't play right in a 50Hz machine.

Yep i have a Nes-001 ntsc version

The first ever ds :P

I will sell for 1 million dollars

Only problem is that all my nes games are Pal region FML

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Git:D

What would you reckon the most i should pay for it anyone?

Doesn't really matter now. You're not going to win it :D

please dont tell me its going to get sniped on me by someone from here :(

Never show an auction your bidding on here, until after the auction. It's like waving a chocolate bar in front of a gang of hungry men. It will be taken off you.

A&R Rule of Acquisition #13: Never feed the vultures, until you've already eaten.

Smeg :(

Won't be me.

I don't even have a NES (anymore).

Won't be me.

I don't even have a NES (anymore).

A&R Rule Of Acquisition #3: Never, ever admit to not owning an NES

A&R Rule Of Acquisition #3: Never, ever admit to not owning an NES

Tsk. I'd trade a copy of Obscenely Overvalued Nintendo Competition Cart Gold Edition in a heartbeat for a scratched up but playable set of Panzer Dragoon Saga disks - packaging not required.

Tsk. I'd trade a copy of Obscenely Overvalued Nintendo Competition Cart Gold Edition in a heartbeat for a scratched up but playable set of Panzer Dragoon Saga disks - packaging not required.

We only found out a while ago that Retr0 up until recently, had no NES. He had to buy a PAL model just to shut us up.

• Advertisement

Well it was in my watch list already but I haven't decided if I want it or not. I've not put a bid in, yet.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well it was in my watch list already but I haven't decided if I want it or not. I've not put a bid in, yet.

The fact it's only an x1 auction, weights heavily in your favour here Sparks :D

Damn im in trouble if steve is bidding :(

We only found out a while ago that Retr0 up until recently, had no NES. He had to buy a PAL model just to shut us up.

Well, maybe one day I'll get one. I'm certainly not saying never. But I'm 9 parts nostalgic gamer for ever 1 part collector, and I'd see myself buying NES games on say the Wii before I'd invest in the retro hardware itself.

The fact it's only an x1 auction, weights heavily in your favour here Sparks :D

Indeed :cool:
    But perhaps my other copy is need of some companionship :D

Still not sure if I'll bid or not.

Well, maybe one day I'll get one. I'm certainly not saying never. But I'm 9 parts nostalgic gamer for ever 1 part collector, and I'd see myself buying NES games on say the Wii before I'd invest in the retro hardware itself.

Ah yeah I'm only joking. But coming from Retr0 is was a bombshell. One he's partly corrected.

Ah yeah I'm only joking. But coming from Retr0 is was a bombshell. One CiderMan corrected.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭frank9901

never heard about sniping, what is the difference to putting in your maximum bid?

So steve are you bidding?

Make my day punk:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

frank9901 wrote: »
    never heard about sniping, what is the difference to putting in your maximum bid?

The difference is you don't end up paying over the odds/losing the bid.

Advertisement